Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Elite Fan

Welcome back from vacation aubie

I'm so glad you are happy with your assignment Ekua kids do take energy!!!!

lurkers
Old 09-13-2018, 04:37 AM
Master Fan

Yes my vacation was nice!! Expensive but nice. Niagara has done a lot of changes in the last 18 years I haven't been!

Glad the school is working out Ekua!!

I'm Aubrey
Old 09-13-2018, 05:57 AM
Elite Fan

Yes they do!! Settling in though!

Glad you enjoyed it Aubie!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:45 AM
Master Fan

How are your kids doing Ekua? Is it the same school as last year?

I'm Aubrey
Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

Nope, different school. International one They are good; settling in well! I only have 16 which is nice!!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:13 PM
Master Fan

Are they young like the ones you had or older? 16 still sounds like a lot of students.

I'm Aubrey
Old 09-26-2018, 03:51 AM
Elite Fan

16 is small.....in UK class sizes are around 25-33 The are around 4. I also have a full time assistant which is new to me too....it's nice! Although i don't really like telling her what to do....! I'm so bad at giving orders.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 PM
Master Fan

Oh my gosh I’m the worst at giving orders too. I seriously can’t imagine being in a room of 25-30 kids!!! Like some parents can’t control 1 child let alone 25-30 that’s not even your kid! I’m surprised when parents get all upset with the teachers and it’s like...ok if I’m doing so bad, then quit your job and teach them yourselves. So really kodus to all the teachers out there!!

I'm Aubrey
Old 09-29-2018, 03:50 AM
Elite Fan

Right?! It drives me mad....all behaviour is learned, i.e from
parents! If there’s no discipline/boundaries etc at home, its really hard to implement at school!
Old 09-30-2018, 09:08 PM
Elite Fan

I was a teacher so long ago that the first school I worked at they still would send kids to the vice principle to get hit in some way of course I never had or would have sent anyone. Who knows ,might have worked for some kids. But yes it is the home life that is what counts. Good teachers can be huge too though. Ekua get used to "guiding"your assistant . She probably wants guidance....don't feel bad about it...you're the boss
Old 10-01-2018, 03:30 AM
Elite Fan

I have one wee boy who is very boisterous; during playtime outside he literally never stops running, climbing etc. And nearly every day he trips over, has a new scratch etc. I feel so bad having to tell his mum every day he hurt himself again!!

Yes Podmom I’m trying! I actually have a new one who is much better suited to the age of my kids. She’s fab at art/displays etc which is great as I’m terrible!!

Yeah in some ways now it’s gone too far, you can’t punish kids in case it emotionally destroys them, can’t use red pen to mark etc.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Elite Fan

No red pen marks? Wow. A little fear can be a very good motivator...I'm talking test score now not hitting kids. That was nuts.

My Tommy is always moving....never stops. Well he sits still in school and is a good student but he loves sports and moving around constantly. How old are your kids?
Old 10-02-2018, 03:57 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah.....in the UK...not in Thailand. Red pen is allowed

I don't agree with testing little kids though....kids in elementary school etc shouldn't be officially tested. All of my assessments are done through observation and constructive play....much better!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Elite Fan

That sounds good as well as labor intensive. Probably hard with 25-30 kids but I've never seen that....how you document advancement so I am curious. You are learning and teaching....perfect situation
Old 10-03-2018, 03:32 AM
Elite Fan

It's actually easier.....you have set play 'zones,' e.g. construction, writing, reading corner, water/sand play, house corner etc. and after a short teaching input the children are free to do any activity they choose. Of course you try and match the activities to whatever your teaching and then let the children take the lead.

Play based play is huge in the UK during early tears education. Children in the UK start school at 4/5 years (kindergarten/nursery at 2/3) so I think it's really great. And also in Scandinavian who constantly top education tables year after year.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread