Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Elite Fan

thanks ML

just wrote down those 2 authors names...not just need to remember to take them upstairs where my kindle is
Old 03-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Elite Fan

Yes

Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes is my favourite one and Spare Brides by Adele Parks is good. It's set after The Great War and is basically about women trying to find husbands.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:21 AM
Elite Fan

well I did remember to take up the note and here I had already bought and read Watermelon. I had a couple of her samples but never pulled the trigger on any of them.

I looks up Adele and the covers looked like romance novels as did the explanation I read of one so I thought I had gotten the name wrong. I'll check it out again tonight.

In the mean time rereading Silver Linings Playbook
Old 03-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah Adele Parks is kinda a romance writer...but good! Nothing trash at all I wouldn't read them if they were.

I've never read that but seen the movie....is the book worth it?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Elite Fan

I really like the book.....the movie was great and his writing in this was unique and I found it great or I wouldn't keep rereading it I think I would like it even better than most because the main dude is from NJ and is an Eagles fan which I am....well not much of a fan but I grew up watching them so I know the players and stuff. I've read two of his youth books and really liked one of them...about a homeless girl...can't remember the name right now
Old 03-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

Cool thank you I'm going to get a free sample on my kindle and see how I go with it!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Master Fan

I got a mailorder catalog recently and the 100 year old man book was in there and one other one that was talked about on here - cool catalog (Chinaberry).

Started a new dog-related mystery but it's vaguely familiar and I think it's an author I tried before and wasn't crazy about
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 03-15-2016, 05:32 AM
Elite Fan

Ah sorry it's not good...

I highly recommend All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. I loved it. It's set during WW2 and is about a blind girl in France. It's a little bit fantasy but a brilliant book
Old 03-17-2016, 06:11 AM
Elite Fan

The description scared me and the title made me want to read it....I'm conflicted. Will it scar me for life? Anne Frank's Diary did for sure when I read it at the same age as her.

Sophie's Choice took me years to get over too but that was a great book and movie.

I like the fantasy angle

Do you think I could hack it Ekua
Old 03-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Elite Fan

I think you could it's a lovely story. It's definitely not as harrowing as Anne Frank. It's more about the relationship between the girl and her father. The war is just sort of a background story.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Elite Fan

ok I'll sample it
Old 03-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Master Fan

You have such excellent books to recommend Ekua - I just read variations on the same old thing (cozy mysteries). I really like Kerry Greenwood's Miss Fisher mysteries, I need to borrow some from the library. Although they show is on PBS too (made in Australia) and the costumes are so wonderful (set in 1920s) and actors so lovely, but this last episode was about rival football teams and it was so.. Although first you think it's a murder, and then you think it's a suicide, and then it turns out it was a murder made to look like a suicide.. it was all very twisty and convoluted!

Great flirty chemistry between the police detective with the great bone structure and the fabulous Miss Fisher! Essie Davis, the actress is lovely. I think she was 'The Girl with the Pearl Earring'
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 03-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Elite Fan

Yay Podmom let me know how you get on with it

MyrnaLynne if you like mysteries try Big Little Lies by Liane Moriary. It's a good mystery set in Australia.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Elite Fan

Uh oh I got distracted by a sci fi trilogy....it isn't that good but it is distracting me....that sample I down loaded next
Old 03-31-2016, 01:42 AM
Elite Fan

what is it?

I just started reading 1984....it's fascinating!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread