Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Master Fan

My sister-in-law Barbara made a career of teaching pre-K and K in the city schools here. Plus Mlette's friend Andrea (who is getting married June 30) is a teacher in or administers a daycare school. It's not a bad business/much needed to get the kids off to a good start.

Oh, PodMom is right, meeting men in Thailand would be much harder, (um except for Thai guys) and if you want to settle down and start a family, Scotland is probably the place for you to be. All good points. Thailand seems more of an 'experience' than a permanent home/career/location.

And having family about is a definite plus. I feel so bad my son is ~1500 miles away (and living with a sickly mean girl - sigh).

I thought I wanted to move away to somewhere warm and cheaper to live etc, but we are realizing we want to stay close to our daughter. And every time I look at those lovely developments in Florida, then another hurricane-potential storm pops up!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-14-2018, 05:11 AM
Elite Fan

ML about staying near your daughter....so glad you are finally listening to me so the best decision. Florida has alligators and lots of bugs and it is crazy hot much of the year and lots of old ppl driving around. Only plus is taxes.

Off to Liz's today (speaking of daughters living...pretty close being a blessing) going to the pool then this weekend heading to the beach house to put up the blinds that came.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend...and aubie that you are having a lovely vacation!!!!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 AM
Master Fan

Yes, hurricanes in FL are the main problem (as well as the HEAT and HUMIDITY). I can't stand the humidity especially. We're having a hot/humid day here and I put on the (window) ACs first thing and closed everything up and I'm trying to keep cool.

We looked at one of those 'life care' places (independent living, then assisted living, then nursing care when you need it) in New Hampshire (favorable taxes/no taxes up there) but it was super duper expensive. We couldn't afford it. I thought Mr ML was going to faint. Well, I thought he'd faint when I suggested New Hampshire, which is NORTH of here (so therefore, according to him, must be much colder, have more snow). He's so funny. Oh well, we'll keep looking at different options.

We can always take a winter vacation someplace warm, without having to move there year round, too.

Two of our very old neighbors around the corner passed away and both of their homes (not fixed up at all) recently sold for north of a million dollars so.. we really need to sell this place and move!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-19-2018, 03:06 AM
Elite Fan

I’m on holiday too; in Ibiza (one of the Balearic Islands off the coast of Spain). I’ve done nothing apart from read, swim in the sea/pool, sunbathe and drink cocktails It’s been bliss!

I did venture out last night to explore the old town which was lovely....then I had some tapas...even better!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Master Fan

Ibiza holiday sounds like Heaven!

Sounds like just what you needed Ekua
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-21-2018, 06:30 AM
Elite Fan

Ekua I saw the picture of your Ibez view on FB this morning. So glad you are in such a lovely place and having some "bliss" time!!!

ML Wow....that is awesome about your neighborhood being one of those city areas that has become crazy expensive

I'm thinking ( after realizing how much money it costs to live in a health care facility by having to pay so much to just have my mother in a private room ) aging in place may be the way to go. Getting caretakers 24 7 would still be way cheaper and you don't have to be in one of those places. Given my family history ( accept mom) seems unlikely I will make it to be really old but one does have to plan just in case.

On a brighter note the couch was delivered to the beach house Tuesday and it fits and it looks great. We now have all the furniture in the living section...now waiting for all the porch furniture to arrive very soon. I am hoping it comes before Emily has her baby so I can be there when it arrives. Her due date is July 4th so it could be any time now.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Master Fan

July 4th is soon! I hope everything is ready. My friend was talking about selling her little place and moving somewhere, but next time I saw her, she also decided to 'age in place.' She's lived there all her life (I think her father built the house) so why not, if, as you say, you can get services.

Our house, living on the 2nd and 3rd floors (well, mostly on the second, junk stored on the 3rd) has a prohibitive number of stairs, though, for elderly folks. I know they make those stair lifts you can ride up and down but...
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ugh sorry for not being around, guys! Been so hectic here and I'm going back to London on Tuesday. I'm going to try and post here more!

Old 06-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Elite Fan

Lxury always great to see you. Do stop in more often Have a great time in London!

ML I would imagine you would sell your house for big bucks then buy a one floor house in a less expensive location near Mlette or rent till you know where she will be.

Ekua So happy for your great holiday
Old 06-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Master Fan

Yes that is my general plan now, the question is where (and when). :>

Lxury good to see you!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Elite Fan

yes ML where .... when.....I know you will make the right decision
Old 06-23-2018, 05:02 AM
Elite Fan

Lxury have fun in London! Are you going for work or pleasure?

So sad my holiday is over! Went so quickly. But was lovely having some relaxing beach time. Already planning my next one....possibly Krakow, Poland. It’s supposed to be a beautiful city, although of course most people go there to go to Auschwitz.

Podmom your beach house sounds lovely! You’ll need to post pictures

I have a few interviews coming up but it’s hard to do when working full time...I obviously can’t tell my boss I’m looking elsewhere but equally can’t keep phoning in sick....they’ll get a little suspicious!
Old 06-23-2018, 05:42 AM
Elite Fan

OH you are back in reality Ekua Wow Krakow....you pick interesting and kind of exotic places to go. When we were on our European trip with my sister and brother in law one stop was a concentration camp in Germany....I was the only person on the tour to not tour it. I knew those images would be too much to take and haunt me forever. I already am haunted enough by that horrible time...just knowing it happened....Sophies Choice ( book and movie) was more than enough plus reading Anne Franks Diary when I was her age.... I had lots of trouble sleeping after that book. But everyone deals so differently with hard knowledge.

I posted a pic on FB of my 2 granddaughters looking at the view from the OC porch....you can see the view Ekua at least
Old 06-23-2018, 06:04 AM
Elite Fan

Yes I saw those....beautiful

I’m lucky that’s it’s relatively cheap for me to visit pretty much anywhere in Europe; definitely taking advantage! It’s not that i exactly want to visit Auschwitz but I think it’s important to remember such things, and obviously it’s such a huge part of European history. All German children go to visit a concentration camp during high school.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:11 AM
Elite Fan

I agree with all you said...I am just too whimpy plus at my age the horror tank is starting to get way full... one can only take so much and every day there seems to be something else.

That is why playing here is good medicine now if only JB would cooperate and make us really happy and get on TV again!!! It would be his gift to a hurting world