Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

Oh Ekua so sorry teaching didn't work out/you had to leave. It doesn't work out for a lot of people. MLette's BF John was a teacher but the kids (at wealthy school) where such rude snotty entitled disobedient little *****s, that he gave it up and went in to something else! Never looked back.

You have done very well, all over the world, and as Poddy says, you've been through a hard time recently losing your Dad, having to come home to Scotland suddenly - working with the family business, etc. Pressure of school and new career. There has been a lot going on and a lot of sudden changes. You shouldn't decide anything new too hastily, but you were happy in Thailand and it wouldn't be failure, it would be going back to someplace you were happy, doing something you were enjoying.

Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 03-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Elite Fan

You are not a failure. You have had a hard set back and I am really wondering what kind of support you got as a first time teacher. It doesn't sound like they gave you a good mentor if you even had one. I am thinking the system failed you and your kids. What I have experienced in my brief teaching career( and my parent volunteer career) is that the higher up one gets in administration the less impressed I was( not always but pretty often ) The kids will be fine don't stress about them. From the little tiny bit I know of you from here I am guessing you might have a bit of a perfectionist personality...I could be way wrong . I don't actually know you know you but that is a guess. Which would make you hard on yourself. Yes you have had a very very hard 2 years! You need to rest and fill up with things that are positive for you. Sorry to bug you but don't rule out professional help

I thought of you this Sunday at church because we had a young woman from Ghana ....she is working here in Wilmington De with Urban Promise a Christian based inner city program our church works with. She is here in the US learning and this summer will go back to Ghana and help her community. I was very moved by her story and did sign up to support her. She had 3 other young ppl from a different part of Africa...starts with an M in the south. Anyway those 4 sung a wonderful African praise song to us "frozen chosen"... that is a joke. A white not moving or clapping church. It was painful but I loved hearing them
Old 03-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Master Fan

Oh Ekua, I'm so sorry to hear that.
I know how much you adored your kids but taking work home and not having a life sounds so tough. I can't even imagine.
I swear they don't give teachers enough credit. A parent complains when they can't train their 1 or 2 children, then here's a teacher having to train 20-30 kids at a time! It's insane! I do hope you do find something you enjoy, can you be a flight attendant? You love traveling!

I'm Aubrey
Old 03-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Elite Fan

A> I love what aubie said about under payed under appreciated teachers!!!

B> Loved even more the flight attendant comment Ekua does love to travel. ...lots of single guys flying and she has that accent
Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrnaLynne (View Post)
Oh Ekua so sorry teaching didn't work out/you had to leave. It doesn't work out for a lot of people. MLette's BF John was a teacher but the kids (at wealthy school) where such rude snotty entitled disobedient little *****s, that he gave it up and went in to something else! Never looked back.

You have done very well, all over the world, and as Poddy says, you've been through a hard time recently losing your Dad, having to come home to Scotland suddenly - working with the family business, etc. Pressure of school and new career. There has been a lot going on and a lot of sudden changes. You shouldn't decide anything new too hastily, but you were happy in Thailand and it wouldn't be failure, it would be going back to someplace you were happy, doing something you were enjoying.

Just saw MLs great comments Ekua and wanted to applaud them. John is a great example....and he ends up with Mlette! Sure wasn't the end for him!! P

PS plus I loved the little...s###s comment
Old 03-22-2018, 06:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh I'm sorry Ekua I know this might sound like a stupid comment, but maybe this will allow you to find something else even better? It sucks that you can't finish the school year though

Also if you need to take some time off from the board to regroup, you can request a temporary mod (as long as you will come back). Instead of just being missing

Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

Thank you so much ladies. You're much too kind.

Podmom I am a bit of a perfectionist....and very hard on myself. I always have been. I think part of the problem was I got so stressed/panicked during observed lessons I couldn't teach and it all went badly wrong. My mentor was actually really nice. I was able to chat to her and open up (eventually) which for me is not easy. She had very high expectations but I truly believe she was genuine and tried to help as best she could. Before I left she told me she'd done a lot of soul searching about what she could have done more/her own failure in not helping me differently etc. Not really any consolation but at least she admitted it. She always said the right things...she wished it were different, I couldn't have worked harder, I'll get through this and come out stronger etc etc. I don't want to believe all that was insincere.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:35 AM
Master Fan

What do they say...one door closes and another opens?

I know it's tough now, but you got us here if you do need to vent or anything!

I'm Aubrey
Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Elite Fan

Everyone here has helpful comments. Im sureEkua your mentor was sincere and feels bad( plus professionally is doesn’t reflect great for her) but she probably could have been more proactive and helpful. I hated when the principle would come and observe 😒 and of course one is never even close to being yourself. This all just sucks and will take time to unwind. We are here for you dear heart ❤️Jason not so much the lazy bum . Keep coming though we will distract and amuse 🤪
Old 03-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Master Fan

:clap

Brava for all wise comments! Sometimes things don't work out. It's very hard when you are hard on yourself and a perfectionist and beat yourself up about stuff (I definitely know about that!) Funny, my Dad told my son not to focus on the details, to look at the big picture, because he gets bogged down in minutia and unimportant stuff (like every other minute - He never told me that, because details were my business! Wise Dad to give different advice to different kids, who are different.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 03-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you....I really appreciate all your support!

It's so hard because teaching is still something I really want to do. And despite how hard this year has been, I know i'm not totally useless at it despite what i've been told over the last months. I passed my university placements, I taught in Thailand and was observed regularly there. I can't let this destroy me. It's just going to take a lot to get over. I have always been very hard on myself, and even now I feel so useless - no job, money, savings, house, partner, child....and i'm on my way to my mid 30's.

It's just a huge mess.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:39 AM
Elite Fan

Ekua You know yourself better than whoever was involved with this situation. We were here to listen to how well your kids loved you and all the cool stuff you did with them. I really feel strongly that this outcome is more of a reflection on this school than you. I'm not saying you are perfect and didn't have some issues and of course are lacking in experience but this outcome seems very strange to me. Hard advice to follow but and simple but take one day at a time
Old 03-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you You are so kind. But you are right. The school did admit they failed me too. I know I have a lot to develop, and perhaps i'm going to need a little longer than most, but that's exactly the 'growth mindset' we teach our children. And it seems i'm being punished for not reaching the standards quickly enough.

I have now been offered a job in Bangkok. It's all happened so fast and my head is spinning. I'm not sure what to do. I have an interview next week for a job here too....so a few things to smile about.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

That is good news.... you already have choices. Wow... don't decide too fast. I like thinking of you smiling

We will be going to DC hopefully if all stay well for Easter with Emily again this year. I will be leaving Thursday to have a day alone with Emily so we can look for a couch for the beach house and maybe look for a few other things. We need to get our act together as it is, the new couch probably won't be done in time. I think the house will be done some time in May.

MAybe we will get an Easter egg hunt tweet from KaDee
Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh Ekua that's good! You have to have confidence, there's a reason you are teaching and want to teach and clearly you have skill. As for the partner and kids, I know it's hard when you want that, but you can't measure your success based on that alone - those things will happen when the time is right.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread