New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

Me too!!! My brain is like mush!

And I have so much work to do this weekend too!

Ah so exciting Aubie! Hope it's a fast week for you!
Ekua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:06 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

Blah, it's Monday.

Hope you got some rest this weekend!

4 more days of work and I'm off!!!

I'm Aubrey
aubie_ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

I promised myself I wouldn't let my job take over my life.....it's only 3 weeks in and it has! I stayed in school till nearly 7pm tonight, then an hour drive home. I need to stop!

So excited for you Aubie!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

Omg Ekua! That's a lot of work!
But it's always a lot in the beginning right?
Then it kinda gets better?
I just can't imagine though being with kids all day and then more work after!

I'm Aubrey
Old 08-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Master Fan

You are just dedicated Ekua!

Excited you are going to have time off Aubie.

Three more months.. and all my time will be off!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
MyrnaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:50 AM
Master Fan

Ekua I'm all for positive reinforcement but I am shocked and troubled that you can't use a red pencil or an x to mark things wrong. Can you mark things wrong? Kids could be hit ( not by teachers but by the assistant principle) when I taught ....not that I ever needed to send anyone to the principle. I didn't teach long enough is why I'm sure. Things have changed a lot. I think the hitting was probably too much but seems like in most things the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

aubie so excited for you and your vacation!

ML wow what a life change that will be. Just in time for the new year...clean slate
Old 08-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

Well, we are not supposed to put an X to mark things wrong. Instead we put a dot or underline or something....and nope, no red pen! Any other colour though!

With older children we tend to get them to peer assess/mark the work. I like that as marking with older kids takes over your life! (apart from writing and standardised tests of course).

With my wee ones there's not a whole load of marking but so much prep!
Old 08-30-2017, 06:56 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

Oh wow!

I mark our assessments here with x's and with a red pen cause it's so much easier to catch and count to get their marks.

Prepping must be so tiring!

I'm Aubrey
Old 08-30-2017, 09:34 AM
Master Fan

LOL, I love my red pen! I use it to mark Rejected manuscripts! Very satisfying! The pendulum has swung way the other way. Teachers used to keep wooden spanking 'paddles' (sort of the shape of a cricket bat, I think) at the front of the room in school in PA, I recall. Don't remember them using them on anybody, but they were there, just in case, as a reminder to behave!

Then again, I remember a first grade teacher (FIRST GRADE) in Maine who made 'bad' kids come up front and whacked them across the back of their hands with a yard stick! Happened to me once, and my parents took me out of her class and put me in the other class, with the nice teacher (they were like Jekyll and Hyde). Scarred for life!

Yes, much preparation for the wee classes and not so many Xs and red ink!

Yep, new year, new life, I can't quite imagine it, but I'm trying. Lots of preparations to put in place (health insurance, social security, pension etc) and then I hope we can go and enjoy. I'm very concerned about my Dad - might have to go down and check on him before Dec or Jan (worry). LOL, I should send my husband down there again for another trip.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
MyrnaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:36 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

Oh ML your new life is going to be so great!! You can do whatever you want!
I'm so jealous!
My aunt just announced her retirement too, she finishes this December.
She's going to help my cousins and their kids.
I hope your dad is ok!!

Back in Philippines we use to also get the spanks with the rulers. I remember getting a slap on my hands because my nails were dirty, so the next day my parents made sure they helped clean my fingernails!

I'm Aubrey
Old 08-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

There's a reason why Scandinavian countries consistently top the tables when it comes to education (and most other things). Not as much testing, less paperwork and better pay for teachers Among lots of other things

Kids here start school at 4/5 Like first grade. I think that's far too young. I have 5 year olds in my second grade class who are really struggling socially.

Ah lots of exciting changes MyrnaLynne! I hope it all goes well for you.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Master Fan

Man the Philippines are tough aubie hit for dirty nails glad you survived and with a great sense of humor!

I can not imagine little ML doing anything worthy of a smack. That teacher must have been nuts.

Yea I was thinking red pencil just shows up so much better than any other color so a kid and the teacher can see the mistakes then learn

Ekua I think the parents in those Scandinavian countries are probably the biggest influence plus higher paid teachers for sure. I can't imagine the 4/5s being in second grade no chance to be little children yikes the prep

I'm mostly at Lizs with Emily who came this weekend while her husband helps his dad and brother build this cabin thing on this property they have. SO not much time to check in here. Thanks for holding down the FF fort guys!!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

Well yeah you'd think red would be fine.... I use a lot of stamps though and different colours

True Podmom, and also education ministers who actually know about education! And don't just give money to private schools.

Yeah me little ones get a lot of free choice time. I have a lot of toys and Lego and such like. They get so tired!

Glad to have you back!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Master Fan

Thanks

My Anna Lee is in our 2nd grade....she turns 8 in October ( old for her class but many are these days) She has to get there so early....8:15 and not home till 3:30 I think...such a long day that is too long

aubie is on her vacation...I hope she is having as much fun as these guys!!

Old 09-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Jason Behr

I think that is a much better age to start school though Podmom. Here I think kids start primary one way too young. Socially a lot just can't manage. But gotta do my job
Reply   Post New Thread