Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Master Fan

Mr ML lived with his mother when I met him -well, he and one brother were living across the street in an Aunt's house (while she was in a nursing home) but their mother still looked after them! And MLette's fellow was living with his parents, but he had lived on his own before but moved home with health issues... If the parents are nice and the sons get along with them, it's not totally weird.. But this guy doesn't want to travel and that wouldn't work with Ekua who is a globe trotter!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Elite Fan

Yes travel is definitely a deal breaker!

I start my teaching job in a week! Totally freakin out! Went in today to get my class ready. 7 hours of cleaning and tidying and it's nowhere near ready! I'm terrible with anything arty so putting up display posters took me ages!! Only bits and bobs paper wise so it doesn't look neat at all! I guess once I start putting work up it'll look fine.

So terrified!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Master Fan

IT WILL BE FINE!

My niece's daughter in Texas just got her degree and is teaching her first class now too. She's also an adventurer - taught school in Korea for a few years.

You are going to do great! Those kids are lucky to have a wonderful person like you as their teacher.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 AM
Master Fan

Omg Ekua that went by fast!! Didn't you just finish?

And no worries you will do an awesome job!!

Pinterest is great for artsy ideas!

I'm Aubrey
Old 08-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Elite Fan

Aww thank you ladies!!

I'm incredibly nervous! Talked with my planning partner (she has the other same level class) and she's lovely and seems very helpful!

I'm most nervous about dealing with parents!!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Elite Fan

Yes indeed Ekua has to be with another globe trotter

I agree with everyone...Ekua will be a great teacher!!

It is scary though.....starting a new job. I'd be most scared of the parents too but you are teaching young kids so the parents might be new to having their kids in school. You will probably be reassuring them that their kids are doing ok.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 AM
Master Fan

I'm so excited for you Ekua!!

And you will do fine with the parents! They'll love you!

I still can't believe your starting in a week though!

I swear we just congratulated you on finishing!

I'm Aubrey
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Elite Fan

I know....time flying....especially the summer
Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Elite Fan

Aww thank you ladies You're too kind!!

The kids are in their second year of school (kids here start school way too young I think but anyways) so i'm just worried i'll get asked stuff I have no idea how to answer!
Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 AM
Master Fan

You have an assistant right? Or like a co-teacher did you say?

That should be nice, to have help. Especially with kids that young.

My gosh my niece right now is 2 and she is moving every where!

I'm Aubrey
Old 08-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Elite Fan

You never get to sit down with toddlers unless they are asleep!

Well this time next year you will be an old pro Ekua

We will be waiting to hear how it goes!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 AM
Elite Fan

No Aubie no assistant. Just me! Me and 25 5/6 year olds!

I'm supposed to have a support for learning teacher come in to help with one child who has additional needs, but funding cuts means they've had to stop that....

I have a plan for my first day so we'll see how that goes! Lots of getting to know you games...making name tags for their trays, some free play time in the classroom and i'm going to be a time capsule type thing with them....i'm going to use string to measure their height and get them to draw round their hand, draw a pic of themselves etc. put it all away in an envelope and they open it in a year and see how they've changed. I hope they like it!

Thank you Podmom
Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Elite Fan

Oh that time capsule idea is wonderful .... the parents will love it too!! Perfect 👏👍⭐️

Well the baby has cooperated and I had two hours of peace .... still having it....while she slept and Liz and the kids at the pool. I finished a book I'm sure you e read EKUA All the Light You Can Not See .... I've put it off because I knew it would be heavy and it was but. beautiful too . I recommend it. It leaves one in need of silence to contemplate the magnitude as much as one can of the subject...... takes place s in WW2. I wonder if they would dare to try and make a movie of it?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Elite Fan

Thank you! I hope so!!

Yes Podmom I've read that book. I loved it. Such a beautiful, yet sad story. I think it would make a good movie if done properly.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Elite Fan

The prose in the last section was wonderful. I think it would be tough to make it into a movie properly ...taking a really special artistic person. Somehow they would need to make her thoughts while feeling her environment ( she is blind and the description of that part of her world is the best part of the book I think) into a visual representation of his lyrical prose. Tough but possible . It does get really action packed at the end which movies like... hope someone tries.

edited to show links for the movie info

https://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/news/a...ioned-for-film

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exc...x-searchlight/