Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2020, 05:35 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It is, but they don't want teams outright tanking so this is their solution. The NBA draft lottery is done the same way. It just seems like recently in the NHL that every year some team makes some ridiculous jump up like over five spots and it just seems unfair.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Loyal Fan

I double checked with my friend about the rinks being open in LA - he confirmed that they are but only for private reservation - no leagues, no public practices, no games. You actually have to rent the space for the time you want and pay a fee... although I didn't ask about the cost, it seems like it would be expensive but if you are really missing it, or a really serious player, I guess you'll pay up.

Its either this or you have to know somebody you knows somebody important enough that you can get access ...
Old 05-14-2020, 07:38 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGirl14 (View Post)
I double checked with my friend about the rinks being open in LA - he confirmed that they are but only for private reservation - no leagues, no public practices, no games. You actually have to rent the space for the time you want and pay a fee... although I didn't ask about the cost, it seems like it would be expensive but if you are really missing it, or a really serious player, I guess you'll pay up.

Its either this or you have to know somebody you knows somebody important enough that you can get access ...
The rink here has a soft open the 23rd and then is open starting the 26th with new guidelines and procedures.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:36 PM
Loyal Fan

I get the impression the guidelines and procedures are pretty stiff here too ... I'm not even sure if there is access to much else other than the ice.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It's places like locker rooms that will be breading grounds for the disease. Probably don't share water bottles, can't use the facilities. But that's so tough.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:43 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

The kids are playing some hockey game on Xbox... I just asked them, "Do you think Taylor would be horrified to know you learned how to play hockey from a video game?"
Old 05-23-2020, 03:24 PM
Master Fan

I've been watching The Last Dance, which the first few episodes were good, but then I got bored. Anyhow, today on ESPN (I think) there was a documentary on Shaquille O'Neal who has always fascinated me. I wasn't too into the NBA until recently, but anyhow they were talking about the 1993 draft. The year before the Magic had the #1 pick and got Shaquille O'Neal. He single handedly brought them from last place to one game shy of making the playoffs. Because of the lottery, they also got the #1 pick the next year. That just doesn't seem right.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:19 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It never really seems right when a playoff team gets a lottery pick. Most of the time it's because they have that lottery pick from a trade. So like say The Magic made a trade with New York and get New York's first rounder...New York finishes with a terrible record, The Magic who were a playoff team the year before would still get New York's pick wherever they'd land in the lottery, which would probably be pretty high.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

I asked my nephew about why football doesn't do it this way. He said it's harder to tank in football. I still don't really get it.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:19 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

But Miami kind of intentionally tanked this year and did pretty well.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Hey Amanda, what do you think of the playoff announcement?? I haven't had the time to really dive into the details myself but I know you are pretty savvy to the NHL stuff ... what do you think???
Old 05-27-2020, 05:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I'll have to look into it a little bit more. All I've seen is that it seems to be a bit of a **** show, that the way the lottery is laid out there is a possibility that some of the teams that are in the playoff elimination rounds (because they've expanded the playoff teams to 24) could possibly land top draft picks because technically they're still lottery teams.

So, cue me, the Red Wings fan, who is pissed that a team that is technically going to be in the playoffs and may have a better chance at the number one pick than the Wings will...the Wings were the only team technically eliminated from the playoffs while the season was still going on.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:23 PM
Master Fan

Old 06-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

July 10th for training camp to restart the season. *fingers crossed*
Old 06-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Master Fan

I enjoy hockey, but I don't really know much about it. If the Flyers were in the playoffs, I'd get all aboard but I don't follow it much. I've been to many games, it's fun... even saw the Devils win the Stanley Cup.

That being said.. I have a date with friend's kid's hockey coach on Thursday night. She's been trying to set us up for literally ten years and we finally met two weeks ago when I went to her house to social distance on the back patio. haha. He just happened to stop by. I guess he actually isn't his coach anymore because the kids in high school now.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread