Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2020, 06:30 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Taylor Hockey Thread #11: Because He Still Plays Hockey Two Or Three Times A Week

Welcome to Taylor’s Hockey appreciation thread #11

Hockey has always been the first love of Taylor Kitsch. A Kelowna, BC native, Kitsch played Junior A hockey for
the BCHL’s Langley Hornets “ When I was younger, I played junior hockey up in Canada in the BCHL – from 16
on up actually – and then I played Canadian University hockey in Lethbridge when that was finished.My whole
life,basically, follows the Canadian stereotype: back yard on the pond skating,spending every single moment
on the ice.” He's a big Red Wings fan and his favorite hockey players is Steve Yzerman. Kitsch was set to become
a professional hockey player, but a bad knee injury ended his career.

What do you love the most about the game of hockey?
"It’s all in one. That’s what makes it the sport it is. You’re doing all that at any given moment.
The rate you have to think and react is incredible. I do think the size of these guys and the speed
of the game is what really makes it the sport it is…every shift you have to be ready for anything.
I have to say that it has so much to do with the person I am…growing up with all the ups
and downs and the team-building. Or the moments in rookie camp when I was 15 playing
with guys up to 20 years old and choosing to fight for the first time or skate away in front of
your bench and 2,500 fans in a little barn in the Kootenays….that’s what shapes ya…"

I got traded out of nowhere to the Fernie Ghostriders. Then I went and played pretty close to home and I hurt my knee. I’m like ‘my knee’s done.’ I’m going to university to study nutrition and kinesiology.”

Old 05-08-2020, 06:31 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

From the previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGirl14 (View Post)
I found out from a friend of a friend that a rink opened up here in LA for limited play time - minimal players and restricted time periods but it opened. I'm not really sure if its true as I don't know the name of the location and can't verify (CA is supposed to still be in lockdown), but I know Texas is doing things a little differently. I wonder if the rinks will open down there on a limited basis as well???
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I know that the Red Wings here can't go to rinks because they've been told to stay away from team facilities, but I don't know about private rinks.

I just wonder if he might be more cautious because he needs to be healthy for filming Inferno. If he gets sick then they'd have to push it back even further.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:35 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Assembling the All-Celebrity Hockey Roster

In recent weeks, there’s been an outpouring of interest in celebrities who played hockey. This was, in part, spurred on by USA Hockey sharing Paris Hilton’s page on Elite Prospects.

However, despite having an Elite Prospects page, reports say that Paris Hilton could barely skate. If a hockey all-star team of living celebrities was assembled, she certainly wouldn’t be on the roster.

This of course begged the question: well, who would make that roster? And, lucky enough for you, I took the time and decided, with my extremely limited knowledge of celebrities, who would crack the celebrity all-star hockey roster.

Author’s note: sure, some of these may be stretches, but there aren’t a ton of hockey players out there, so hang in there with me.

The Forwards
First Line
“The Snipers”
LW Avril Lavigne - C Tom Glavine - RW Taylor Kitsch
Little known fact: not only did Tom Glavine win a World Series with the Atlanta Braves, but he also was drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in 1984, going at #69 overall in the fourth round. Why? He played prep hockey in Massachussets and casually put up 47 goals and 47 assists for a whopping 94 points in *checks notes* 23 games. Glavine is head and shoulders the best player on this roster.

The rest of the first line is rounded out with Avril Lavigne, who played hockey through her youth, and Taylor Kitsch, who once played in the BCHL. While known best for his role in the Friday Night Lights TV series, Kitsch potted 23 points in 36 games for the Langley Hornets back in 2001-02. With this line, I’m confident that Glavine is going to open up space and time for his teammates. While Glavine is clearly the star, Lavigne and Kitsch should both have some finishing ability while Glavine absorbs pressure.
Rest of the list here: https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2020/...l-keanu-reeves
Old 05-08-2020, 10:55 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I don’t think our rinks are open.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I think all the NHL facilities are still closed off to players and staff. They want to keep them as clean as possible? I don't know.

The Red Wings, Flyers and Blackhawks lent their equipment sterilization machines to GM so they were able to produce far more masks for first responders.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:57 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That’s so nice! I love seeing everyone being kind and generous to each other.

Quote:
I think all the NHL facilities are still closed off to players and staff. They want to keep them as clean as possible? I don't know.

The Red Wings, Flyers and Blackhawks lent their equipment sterilization machines to GM so they were able to produce far more masks for first responders.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

They're talking about foregoing the draft lottery and just drafting by record in the NHL, which is perfect for the Red Wings! Yes, do that!

But I know it's pissing off a lot of other fanbases.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
They're talking about foregoing the draft lottery and just drafting by record in the NHL, which is perfect for the Red Wings! Yes, do that!

But I know it's pissing off a lot of other fanbases.
That would be interesting. Fans like watching the draft though.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Well they'd still have the draft, but the NHL draft isn't just based on your record, it's a lottery. So your chances of winning the top spot are weighted based on your record, but it's still decided randomly by a ping pong ball. Which can be kind of a disaster if the out right worst team in the league somehow gets screwed over and falls out of the top spot.

The Wings had a pretty bad records last year and should have been either third or fourth in the draft, can't remember which, they ended up falling three spots to number six. Chicago jumped up like 8 spots. It's super frustrating because it's all by chance.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Loyal Fan

I've always been frustrated with the NHL draft - it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Fan bases be damned, a straight up draft would be a nice change of pace (even if it's just for this year).

Probably won't happen, but it's fun to imagine it.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I get why they do the lottery, so there are teams that aren't outright tanking for that top spot, but the lottery really leads to some unfortunate bad bounces for teams that really really need help at the top and teams that happen to have another teams lottery pick that were just a playoff team picking in the top five. It's rough.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Well they'd still have the draft, but the NHL draft isn't just based on your record, it's a lottery. So your chances of winning the top spot are weighted based on your record, but it's still decided randomly by a ping pong ball. Which can be kind of a disaster if the out right worst team in the league somehow gets screwed over and falls out of the top spot.

The Wings had a pretty bad records last year and should have been either third or fourth in the draft, can't remember which, they ended up falling three spots to number six. Chicago jumped up like 8 spots. It's super frustrating because it's all by chance.
Why do they do it that way?
Old 05-12-2020, 11:40 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It's to prevent teams from purposely tanking. They don't want a team to just purposely lose to get the first pick or second pick because they think it ruins the product. The problem is a lot of teams will be cellar dwellers without the help of some top draft picks.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
It's to prevent teams from purposely tanking. They don't want a team to just purposely lose to get the first pick or second pick because they think it ruins the product. The problem is a lot of teams will be cellar dwellers without the help of some top draft picks.
I guess football teams do that towards the playoffs.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:25 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That doesn’t seem fair. Isn’t the draft meant to help the teams that really need it?