Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2020, 04:22 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
Happy Mother's Day, Kayla and Emma, and all the other moms out there.
Thank you for thinking of me, although it wasn't Mother's Day here. We celebrate it in March. I think it's always the third Sunday before Easter.

Well, hello everyone. I think I mentioned this already, but I got a new phone a couple of weeks ago and it meant I forgot my passwords for a lot of websites I use. I never had to remember them as I would just get logged in automatically on my old phone. Anyway, I managed to forget it on three separate occasions for this forum!!! So I haven't been able to post for ages.

I hope you're all OK. We're still pretty much locked down here. Although with VE day last Friday and lots of people having parties, the infection rate is starting to rise here again. Some people are literally not bothered.

To think we have the second highest death rate in the world, when we're such a tiny country, is completely terrifying to me. The kids are fighting a lot and I'm not coping well really, but at least we're all safe.

It's Elsie's birthday on Wednesday and I feel really bad that we can't really do anything.

Sorry, I tried to catch up on the posts but there were too many!

Sending lots of love to all of you. Stay safe x
Old 05-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Nice to hear from you, Emma. I think I remember you mentioning last year that you guys celebrate mother's day on a different day. Still! Happy Mother's day, again.

We're pretty much still locked down here too, curbside food pick-up and "essential" stores are open. Our stay-at-home right now is until the 28th of May. Btu it wouldn't shock me if it was extended into June, though our numbers here are finally falling. But a lot of the early states that were surging are now steady or declining, the rest of the country is now surging but it feels like people are more complacent.

Happy birthday to Elsie, May babies are the best babies...i would know.

Ugh, I ripped up two sets of carpet today and that sucked, I'm so congested because of all the dust and god knows what else was under that carpet.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Master Fan

Why do I equate Timothy Olyphant with Taylor? Anyhow, saw he was cast in the second season of The Mandalorian. I watched the first few episodes of the first season... couldn't get into it. But the whole Baby Yoda thing I got. So friggen' cute.

Why does my face itch constantly??????

Anyone have a fan they recommend? Going to try and go easy on the AC this summer to save some money.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Kiki, that's exciting for your dad!

A, sorry your sinuses are taking a remodeling hit.

Emma, so good to hear from you!

Y'all! My laptop is fixed!! OM and I did it all ourselves and it feels so good! I didn't have to rebuy windows (140.00) OR buy a reboot flash drive from my computer manufacturer (50.00), or pay someone to do it all for me (200.00)! I upgraded to an SSD instead of a hard drive. Night and day difference. The SSD was on sale for 109 (usually 189) and it's 1 TB! My computer is now lightning fast! Oh, happy day!!!

Daddy is smoking tomorrow (if it doesn't rain) and they will bring us ribs and chicken when they come next week. Supposedly on Tuesday now. We looked up Franklin's BBQ here in Austin. It's the place that you stand in line at 8 and hope at 11 you get some, and it's sold out by 11:15. Anyway... they are doing curbside and taking orders now. Their meat is 25.00 a pound, a minimum of 3 pounds per order. That's insane! I've always wanted to try it, but I didn't want to stand in line. I will NOT pay that for BBQ. It can't be THAT good!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:20 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Kiki... I have a standing fan that I LOVE! Every room of our house has a ceiling fan, and they are on 24/7. I also have my A/C set to 70. I keep the heat slightly cooler, like 67-68. I would rather be cold and need a blanket than to turn the heat up. I would keep the A/C cooler, but this unit can't keep up. Well, at least it couldn't last summer when we moved in. The inside unit has been replaced since then... I digress. Even with the A/C and ceiling fans... I am SOOOOO HOT!! (Funny side note... both Daddy and my FIL think it is FREEZING in my house. They can't stand it. I actually turned the heat up for my FIL at Christmas so he would be more comfortable. He leaves the air on 86 during the summer!) The fan I have is Lasko. This one was about 50.00. It has a remote, several settings, can oscillate or be still. It has a timer if you want it to shut off automatically. It's in my room and beside my bed, blowing directly on me...even in the winter! I'm about to go get another one for OM. She's hot too. I know the upstairs gets warmer than downstairs... it's at least a 10-20 degree difference depending on the temp outside. It was miserable last August-October.

I got this one at Costco. Crossing my fingers they still have it. I got it last August after we moved.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Master Fan

My niece's boyfriend literally told me the same exact fan today. They had them at Costco a week ago. I hope they still do. I will run out tomorrow and check. It was so hot today and yesterday. My air conditioning bill was insane last summer and now that I can't work this summer... I'm worried!
Old 05-16-2020, 08:14 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

The great laptop nightmare is over! Glad to hear.

It was warm and humid here yesterday, to the point I wanted to turn on the AC and I had some trouble sleeping last night because I was warm. But it's only at about 72 in the house. I keep my AC at about 73 or 72 usually, but my heat in the winter is usually between 65-67 during the day and down to 62 at night. I like to be cold when sleeping.

I wish I had ceiling fans in my house, older houses in the midwest, that's just not really a thing. Another odd thing about my house is that none of the bedrooms have overhead lighting, it's kind of irritating. It's on my list of things that need to be upgraded.

I have now come to realize exactly why contractors take twice as long as you think it should take to finish projects, because they have to be so damn tired. We're putting in like 8 to 9 hour days doing these renovations and I'm exhausted. Spent all day painting a ceiling, doing trim (three times) and then taking wallpaper down in a bathroom. Floors are supposed to go in early next week, we'd like to have all the painting done by then, but I don't know if that's gonna happen.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:50 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Houses in Texas have fans!
No overhead lights would be a pain. How old is the house? I can see that being a thing 80-90 years ago.
Y’all are keeping a brisk pace. You must be sleeping well!
I am sooo glad the laptop saga is done!

Kiki, The same fan? It’s a sign!
Old 05-17-2020, 09:16 AM
Loyal Fan

I found out yesterday that a good friend of mine died - he was a recovering alcoholic, been through two stints in rehab and had been dry for about a year. He had just seemed to really come out of his struggle but all this s**t happened and he couldn't get through it ... I feel horrible. A lot of people complain about this pandemic and how others react to it - whether its the protests and those that don't adhere to the restrictions or its the ones who take the restrictions too far - its a lot of noise to process. I think when this is all said and done, we'll look back and notice just how many people quietly suffered and died and it wasn't from this virus.

Sorry to be a downer this morning ... just so horribly sad. Spending some time with friends today, I think I really need some fresh air and some good company ...

Stay safe everyone ... remember to pay attention for the loved ones that go quiet ... it might mean more than you think.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:53 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGirl14 (View Post)
I found out yesterday that a good friend of mine died - he was a recovering alcoholic, been through two stints in rehab and had been dry for about a year. He had just seemed to really come out of his struggle but all this s**t happened and he couldn't get through it ... I feel horrible. A lot of people complain about this pandemic and how others react to it - whether its the protests and those that don't adhere to the restrictions or its the ones who take the restrictions too far - its a lot of noise to process. I think when this is all said and done, we'll look back and notice just how many people quietly suffered and died and it wasn't from this virus.

Sorry to be a downer this morning ... just so horribly sad. Spending some time with friends today, I think I really need some fresh air and some good company ...

Stay safe everyone ... remember to pay attention for the loved ones that go quiet ... it might mean more than you think.
Oh I am so terribly sad for you! It is a lot of noise to process, and many will die, not from this virus. Beautifully said. Sending you hugs, thoughts, and prayers, and for his family as well. I am so so sorry.

Last edited by SouthernSweetieTX; 05-19-2020 at 11:41 PM
Old 05-17-2020, 06:12 PM
Master Fan

So sorry to hear about your friend. I worry about children who are home with abusive families, or those without enough to eat. I know I have my days of depression from being alone. .. Friday and Saturday were like that. Today I was much better, but I also slept all day. I can't imagine how people who are REALLY alone are feeling or who have serious mental disorders. Very sad.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

My condolences, that's terrible. It's sometimes too easy to get wrapped up in your own personal anxiety about the virus and craziness that has come with it. It's like tunnel vision. But the isolation obviously has severe ramifications for some, a friend of mine called me crying the other day because she felt so isolated (I think she's coming to my cottage this weekend).

It's such a hard time for so many different reasons.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:45 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Today is the 3rd anniversary of Lee's death. The kids each picked their favorite food they ate with him and we've had pancakes on a stick for breakfast and we're having French bread pizza for dinner. Thank goodness, we don't eat either of those regularly. We're watching terminator in a few minutes. It was one of Lee's favorites.

Charley went to the vet and has charmed her already. She is perfect, of course, and the princess was quite happy to be home. Sweet thing, probably didn't know if she was being moved again or not. We couldn't go into the vet with her. She wasn't mad at us for too long.

My parents are now coming on Wednesday, instead of tomorrow. We may never see them at this rate.

OM needs to be doing something. She can't be still very long. She spent most of Saturday in her room either reading or watching movies with baby minion. She's about to go crazy. Power tools have been ordered. They just aren't shipping quickly. We still have no word on whether or not she can attend her friends' graduation. I don't want to leave Charley baby. I'm so bad. The cat has ruined me in less than a month.

We watched Little Fires Everywhere. Reese is sooo good! So was Kerry. WOW! Totally worth the watch. We want to get the book now to compare.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:15 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That's a sweet way to remember him! I'm glad you've made this into a great day of remembrance.

Still working on the house. We left the bathroom and laundry/mud room for last and they suck. I'm done with these projects. I need a vacation from quarantine projects.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:17 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
That's a sweet way to remember him! I'm glad you've made this into a great day of remembrance.

Still working on the house. We left the bathroom and laundry/mud room for last and they suck. I'm done with these projects. I need a vacation from quarantine projects.
OM and I picked our first project. We are waiting for our saw to arrive.