Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Master Fan

I have a duvet that I just washed and I have been dragging my feet putting it on my king size comforter. It's like a wrestling match.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

She went with a comforter. I have a duvet on my bed. I really like it. It does allow for it to be changed out, but I haven't changed it so far. My mom changes her bedding almost every season. No joke. I.can't.even.

I feel like anything that is super restrictive is hard to follow. Your brain sees everything it can't have! 7% in 6 weeks seems like a lot, but I dunno. Maybe it isn't? Good luck!! I think if the ONLY cheat you have is your coffee, you'll be okay.

Asthma is scary. Baby minion was really prone to attacks earlier in life. Cold triggered his. He was hospitalized a few times for it. It's really hard, as a mom, to not be able to help him in that situation. As he's grown, it hasn't been as bad. He hasn't needed an inhaler in a few years.

I feel like project unpack is NOT going well. Well, at least not going quickly. It took us a few HOURS to figure out Oldest Minion's schedule for classes today. HOURS!! It's insane.
The maintenance guy came and fixed a few things. The realtor came and finished up the lease. Things have been done, just not boxes unpacked.

I have a list for Walmart and NEED a trashcan. I tried to get one from Target last night. The one I wanted had a dent. I need an oven temp thingy too. I don't think it's achieving the temp it's set to.

I did write out Baby Minion's school schedule for the year. We have THREE field trips in September!! Woo-hoo! I wish that felt me feel more organized, but it doesn't. we'll get there. Eventually. I hope!
Old 08-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I used to buy my duvet covers at Ikea, which are only like $40.00. I splurged on one from West Elm last fall and have had that one on my bed for about a year now.

It sounds like you guys have accomplished a ton, moving, baby minion starting school. That's a lot to tackle in such a short period of time. Did she have to register for classes? I loathed doing that, it was so much anxiety.

The food actually isn't terrible, as long as I can eat meat it's fine, which I can. Just eating a ton of veggies. I actually have a hard time eating as much as I should. I've just never been a three meal a day person. Like for dinner tonight I had ground turkey, cucumbers, avocado and tomatoes just kind of in a bowl, it was good. I've also discovered that I can now stomach cottage cheese. I hated it as a kid. With blueberries, not terrible.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I used to buy my duvet covers at Ikea, which are only like $40.00. I splurged on one from West Elm last fall and have had that one on my bed for about a year now.

It sounds like you guys have accomplished a ton, moving, baby minion starting school. That's a lot to tackle in such a short period of time. Did she have to register for classes? I loathed doing that, it was so much anxiety.

The food actually isn't terrible, as long as I can eat meat it's fine, which I can. Just eating a ton of veggies. I actually have a hard time eating as much as I should. I've just never been a three meal a day person. Like for dinner tonight I had ground turkey, cucumbers, avocado and tomatoes just kind of in a bowl, it was good. I've also discovered that I can now stomach cottage cheese. I hated it as a kid. With blueberries, not terrible.
We have to get up early in the morning and register. They open the system up at 8AM. I'm not sure why they do it this way. It took us over 2.5-3 HOURS today to pick classes that made some kind of sense for our schedule. She has to go every day and I am not happy about that. Registration for Spring starts in October, so she'll have more options.

Mexican place we tried, on a recommendation, was awful. BUT we made it to Wallyworld and I got a trashcan. My aunt broke my trashcan 2 years ago, and the apartment had a special can we used bc they valeted the trash. So, I had no trashcan for my kitchen, and it's been driving me bonkers. I now have a properly sized trashcan in my kitchen again! The valet one was super tiny. I've had the one from my bathroom in the kitchen since we moved.

Oldest Minion broke out the game boxes... she's opened 7 seven so far. We have more board games than should be legal for one family to own. ALL the games! She has about 38 on her "still needs" game list. For the love...

Last edited by SouthernSweetieTX; 08-22-2019 at 08:57 PM
Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That is what I remember about registering, that your registration would open at some absurd time one day. I registered for all my Freshman classes at orientation with the help of an advisor but after that attempting to get into the classes you want and need is so frustrating. I always wanted to avoid MWF 9:00 a.m. classes and preferred the longer MW classes and filled my Tuesday/Thursdays. Freshman year so many of those MWF classes were unavoidable because a lot of things were filled.

I had an art history 8:00 a.m. on MWF my Freshman year. It was literally a lecture where we'd look at slides the entire time, he would then post the entire lecture with notes online after. Myself and two of the girls across the hall in the dorms had the class and we'd rotate who would go on Fridays.

When I remodeled the kitchen I had a trash can drawer put it. So it just pulls out of one of the cabinets. I love it.

I had to commit to that Bachelorette party next May, for the love of god, 8 months before it's even happening. I feel bad because I'll miss Derby for the second year in a row and it's my tradition with my best friend. But one time Bachelorette party takes precedence, I suppose. Plus it's in Charleston, which I've never been so, new adventures. I hate that there's only one nonstop flight from Detroit. I'm not connecting to get to freaking Charleston.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

She met with an advisor on Tuesday. Even being at the orientation, she couldn't register then, she had to wait until today at 8. So weird. She was fine, got all the classes she needed. She's used to just T/Th classes. Foreign languages are a 6-hour class and meet every day. There was no way to avoid it. BUT, bc it's 6 hours, she only has to take 2 semesters instead of 4. Not sure how that works, but we'll see.

She has to take a "signature class" this first year. She's looking at taking it in the spring and going to Ireland for a month in June to do it. It's a class that UT requires and transfer students to priority to picking. There are several abroad choices, Ireland was the one she likes most. She gets 3 credit hours for it and our only out of pocket is the airfare. We can go to the information meeting in September to get more details. we have until November 15th to decide.

Tuition is one price per semester and it doesn't matter if you take 3 hours or 18. They encourage everyone to take 15 per semester to graduate in 4 years. Coming in with 40, she's ahead of the curve. She can take 12 this semester and still be ahead.

The biggest thing I'm seeing right now is now to get her to school every day. This is going to be a beating on me. Mondays, especially. I have school with Baby Minion from 9:15-3 each Monday. SO I have to have her on campus, at least, by 8 to get back in for us to be on time. There is a bus system... we are going to have to figure it out. I'd much rather drop her off at the Metrorail than drive downtown every day.

Quote:
That is what I remember about registering, that your registration would open at some absurd time one day. I registered for all my Freshman classes at orientation with the help of an advisor but after that attempting to get into the classes you want and need is so frustrating. I always wanted to avoid MWF 9:00 a.m. classes and preferred the longer MW classes and filled my Tuesday/Thursdays. Freshman year so many of those MWF classes were unavoidable because a lot of things were filled.

I had an art history 8:00 a.m. on MWF my Freshman year. It was literally a lecture where we'd look at slides the entire time, he would then post the entire lecture with notes online after. Myself and two of the girls across the hall in the dorms had the class and we'd rotate who would go on Fridays.

When I remodeled the kitchen I had a trash can drawer put it. So it just pulls out of one of the cabinets. I love it.

I had to commit to that Bachelorette party next May, for the love of god, 8 months before it's even happening. I feel bad because I'll miss Derby for the second year in a row and it's my tradition with my best friend. But one time Bachelorette party takes precedence, I suppose. Plus it's in Charleston, which I've never been so, new adventures. I hate that there's only one nonstop flight from Detroit. I'm not connecting to get to freaking Charleston.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That's great that she got all the classes she wanted. We were always encouraged to take 15 credits, anything more than 18 was a struggle. I did 18 a few semesters, slowed down the semester I did an internship which was basically a full time job and then took a few summer semesters, which I always liked doing. Knock out those credits in three or four weeks.

Can she drive? Or obviously if she doesn't have a car that's not an option. Austin seems so spread out for public transportation downtown. I remember seeing the metro rail in one spot when I was there.

I had a few friends that studied abroad, one in England, one in Spain, one in Australia. They all loved it.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
That's great that she got all the classes she wanted. We were always encouraged to take 15 credits, anything more than 18 was a struggle. I did 18 a few semesters, slowed down the semester I did an internship which was basically a full time job and then took a few summer semesters, which I always liked doing. Knock out those credits in three or four weeks.

Can she drive? Or obviously if she doesn't have a car that's not an option. Austin seems so spread out for public transportation downtown. I remember seeing the metro rail in one spot when I was there.

I had a few friends that studied abroad, one in England, one in Spain, one in Australia. They all loved it.
She has her permit. We've not yet tackled parallel parking. Not to mention the insurance doubles when I add her! We only have one car right now. There's a rail station not far and it would drop her pretty close to campus. She'd need to take one bus from the station to campus... we need to do a trial run and see how it goes, where it goes, how long it takes, etc. Maybe on Tuesday. We could go tomorrow, but it'd not be as accurate on timing.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:13 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I can count the number of times I've parallel parked in my life on both hands. I can do it but it's just not really necessary where I live. The times I have done it have generally been when I'm in Chicago or Louisville. I hope you figure out a good system!

I had to go to a workout class this morning so I had to be up at 6 to eat so I would have energy for the class and let myself digest the food so I wouldn't puke at said workout. I'm so tired. I stayed up watching that Netflix documentary Diagnosis until like one, so five hours of sleep, no energy, no coffee...and it was a leg day. So now I'm off to my brother's to hang out his pool this afternoon while they're out of town. I'm cat sitting or cat "checking in" essentially.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I parallel park about as often! I don't even understand why it's on the test. BUT, it is so she must learn. I'm really NOT the person to teach her though. I can barely do it myself.

Quote:
I can count the number of times I've parallel parked in my life on both hands. I can do it but it's just not really necessary where I live. The times I have done it have generally been when I'm in Chicago or Louisville. I hope you figure out a good system!

I had to go to a workout class this morning so I had to be up at 6 to eat so I would have energy for the class and let myself digest the food so I wouldn't puke at said workout. I'm so tired. I stayed up watching that Netflix documentary Diagnosis until like one, so five hours of sleep, no energy, no coffee...and it was a leg day. So now I'm off to my brother's to hang out his pool this afternoon while they're out of town. I'm cat sitting or cat "checking in" essentially.
No stairs for you tonight! Enjoy the pool! We have a neighborhood pool. We've not ventured down to really check it out yet. The neighbors said it's really nice, open all year (it's heated), and not crowded.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It’s actually kind of chilly for the pool today. It’s only in the low 70s, it’s been super warm and then, bam, football weather is here.

I learned to drive in a Ford Explorer and attempting to parallel park that thing for my test was a challenge.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:17 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It was in the mid 90's today... that's a break for us.
Quote:
It’s actually kind of chilly for the pool today. It’s only in the low 70s, it’s been super warm and then, bam, football weather is here.

I learned to drive in a Ford Explorer and attempting to parallel park that thing for my test was a challenge.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It was unusually cool. It was in the 90's just a few days ago.

I discovered they have Ezekiel bread buns at Whole Foods and it made my day.

I miss football so much I'm watching a game i couldn't care less about, Miami v. Florida, just because it's real football, finally. Also, Andrew Luck just retired. Why would he do that now right before the season?

Last edited by worthyoflove; 08-25-2019 at 08:59 PM
Old 08-25-2019, 07:36 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

We took it easy today and assembled two bookcases. It was supposed to be 100 today. I just took the trash out and it wasn't too bad. That breeze makes a difference. It's still 91 at 9:30 at night though. Texas. Gotta love it.

Baby Minion's ceiling fan went out in the night. The landlord said to have the handyman look at it this week when he comes to finish another project. If he can't fix it, he said to have him replace it.

I am so tired, and we have to get up early for school tomorrow. Is it wrong that I'm already looking forward to labor day?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Loyal Fan

So busy this week - I'm having a difficult time believing that it's Sunday night and I have to start all over again tomorrow.

I did however, lay low this weekend and watched Mindhunter. I really love this show but I think I liked the first season better - it felt more unique to me, more twists (probably because I already know a little about the actually stuff they covered in season 2 so I didn't really feel surprised as I was watching). Still, fantastic show (didn't have trouble binge watching it) and would recommend it to anyone.

I miss football too - I love the game and have since I was young. I watch both college and pro but I don't have a particular team that I always root for. I am a Penn State grad so I am partial to them by proxy (as well as the Eagles), but I tend to follow players more than teams. And I usually always fall towards the underdog - its just my nature I guess. I haven't given much attention to pre-season until last night when Andrew Luck retired. Not having much attachment to the Colts, I found his press conference heartbreaking but understandable - he's been through hell with the injuries and they are just as mentally tough to manage, if not more, than physically. I see it every day in my work - recovery is always harder for the psyche than it is for the body.

Wishing everyone well in the coming week - hopefully I'll be able to visit more regularly this week...
Closed Thread   Post New Thread