Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Master Fan

I'm in the middle of season 5 of the Office. I still don't LOVE it, but it does make me chuckle. The one scene of them learning CPR to the tune of "Stayin Alive" had me in hysterics. And when Holly thought Kevin was "special." Right now the episode with Idris Elba is on. I have to say, I've never seen him act, only interviews and pictures. Wow. He's dynamic, now I get it. I still never watched The Other Side of the Mountain although I read the book.

I also watched the Season 7 premiere of Veep. hahahahha I can't with this show. She's so funny.

And in further news. I threw out my neighbors poop bags. I did my weeding and threw them in the bag on my way to the dumpster. I can't imagine they would be mad, I would hope they would be embarrassed. 21 days it sat there! They go in and out of that door all day long. WTF?

And on another note. I'm washing a comforter and it's off balance in the washer, and now I can't get the machine to open. It's like locked or something.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I was introduced to Idris in The Wire. He's great. I just saw him in Molly's game and he and Jessica have great chemistry.

Veep is so funny. HBO was running a series marathon leading up to the premiere last weekend so I had that on and I think season 2 and 3 are the best but it still holds up.

Killing Eve is back tonight! Yay!

If it's a dial washing mashing, try moving the machine off the spin cycle (where I assume it is) to off and see if it will unlock.

I sometimes put out critter mix and peanuts in the backyard in the winter for the deer and other assorted critters that make their way by. I had a dead squirrel in the backyard this morning. He looked fine when I picked him up to bury him, but he did have a mark on his neck, either he fell from a tree or was attacked by something. He looked healthy otherwise. I felt bad for the little guy.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
If it's a dial washing mashing, try moving the machine off the spin cycle (where I assume it is) to off and see if it will unlock.

I sometimes put out critter mix and peanuts in the backyard in the winter for the deer and other assorted critters that make their way by. I had a dead squirrel in the backyard this morning. He looked fine when I picked him up to bury him, but he did have a mark on his neck, either he fell from a tree or was attacked by something. He looked healthy otherwise. I felt bad for the little guy.
It is a dial and I tried that. I finally rewashed the whole thing on delicate and it was fine.

Ew to the squirrel. I did a charity walk one time and a friend of mine picked up an injured squirrel that had been hit by a car! No thanks. I uprooted a family of worms while weeding this morning. It was nasty but I felt kind of bad.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I was jogging once on a wooded path and found a baby squirrel lying lifeless on the path but he was breathing. I ran home and read up on baby squirrels and realized he probably fell from the nest. I went back and got him, put him in a shoebox with a hot water bottle and I found an independent wildlife rescue who rehabilitated injured squirrels. In this case I don't know that he was injured, just a baby. So I have a soft spot for squirrels.

My washing machine recently has decided it doesn't always want to drain or will skip through a cycle. Sooo...I'm sure it's on its last leg.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

In some parts, they eat squirrel. I’ve been assured it tastes like dark meat chicken and is delicious. That’s a hard pass for me. Thanks.

GO BAYLOR BEARS! So excited for the women’s basketball team! We need the Red Raiders to bring it home tomorrow for the men! Texas shutout!

I’m about to go sew burp cloths and baby washcloths. Wish me good luck!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

VEEP was so good tonight. I thought last weeks episode was a little bit off but this week was so funny.

And I'm so glad Killing Eve is back. I love that show so much.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:12 AM
Loyal Fan

Kayla. . . Real goats?!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I got my Dad ancestry DNA for Christmas and he finally got his results and shared them with me. We knew his dad was 100% German so that was not a shock that we have a heavy German heritage, but I'm significantly Russian and Welsh on my dad's side which I didn't know.

I want to do it myself to find out more about my mom's side. I know there's a significant French Canadian heritage there.

So basically a giant mutt between my German/Welsh/Russian/French Canadian ancestry. I should also be much better at hockey than I am with those Russian/Canadian genes.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Master Fan

Wouldn't French Canadian be considered French then? Since they originally came from France? I want to do the DNA testing too but I don't want them having my DNA in any type of database! That freaks me out. And I only want to know the heritage part. They also send gene mutations and things like that. I'd rather not know.

I do want to do it for my dog though. He's supposed to be pure bred ShihTzu but he's sooo big. Everyone thinks he's not so pure after all.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Yes, technically French colonizing in Canada are what makes up a good number of the French Canadian population, though they're not all entirely from France, ironically. But I don't know exactly where my ancestors came from. They're from my mom's side so I have to do it to figure it out.

So the dirty little secret is that if anyone in your family (mostly immediate but cousins/aunts/uncles too) has entered their DNA into a database you're kind of screwed because they can link you to them if your DNA was ever put in the system for some reason. Like you commit a crime and they find your DNA and test it, they can't specifically match your DNA to anything in the system but can match it to a relative and then go from there.

Ancestry doesn't do the health related aspect of the DNA, that's 23 and Me.

I looked into the dog DNA, I want to do it but I want to say it's as expensive as doing your own.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
So the dirty little secret is that if anyone in your family (mostly immediate but cousins/aunts/uncles too) has entered their DNA into a database you're kind of screwed because they can link you to them if your DNA was ever put in the system for some reason. Like you commit a crime and they find your DNA and test it, they can't specifically match your DNA to anything in the system but can match it to a relative and then go from there.
I know two people who have found out that their fathers had a child with another woman!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I had a client I was talking about this with when I was ordering it for my dad for Christmas. He mentioned he'd done it and found out he was adopted. He's in his 60's both of his parents had died...he had no idea. I could tell he was really into it and he gave me a lot of information on which kit was the best to do for what, etc. Because after he found out he was adopted he did them all to find out more about himself. Unfortunately it kind of (as you would think it would) threw him for a loop. He filed for divorce from his wife shortly after, it's kind of turned his life upside down.

The only other thing I really learned from my dad's is that we have some relatives or potential relatives in South America, in Argentina and Brazil. I guess I didn't put two and two together, it's a ****ty history to have but many Nazi German's fled to South America...I knew there was a history in my family.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 04-08-2019 at 07:07 PM
Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

No, not goats really. It just sounds like it.

The DNA kit I just did is for health, not heritage, and the company has promised not to sell our info, ever. I got an email saying they received my swabs. I’m waiting on the results.

Heartbreaking loss for Tech.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 AM
Addicted Fan

Kayla, I know how you feel! I have noisy neighbors above me, too. Banging, clanging, scraping, you name it.

I did the Ancestry kit but the results were disappointing. I was hoping to find that one place in the world I could point to on a map and say that's where I come from, that's where my history began and where family might still be. But instead I'm a total mutt, as you call it Amanda. The big surprise was that I have nearly 6 percent Asian heritage but zero Native American. Which is weird because I was always told we had Native American ancestry but no one ever mentioned Asian.

It also found I have like 400 potential cousins. I have no idea how that's even possible.

I could never touch a squirrel, alive or dead. So I tip my hat to you for saving the baby.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That would be cool! But I think you have to do your tree and put some work in to get that kind of information and then you still might not get it. I'm eager to do one so I can see my mom's side, there's apparently some Native American in there somewhere. I'd like to see if it registers at all.

I mean I picked up the dead squirrel with a shovel, the baby I put gloves on because I still wasn't quite sure about it, like what if it had a disease. But the woman who ran the sanctuary picked him right out of the book and planted a kiss on him, so... I'm not quite there.

It's been so nice these past couple days I went and bought some new sandals today, tried them on with my long pants, got home and put them on with a dress I planned on wearing in a few weeks and wow, I am so pale. I hate tanning. I might have to go the spray tan route. But again, Amanda's law, I put on open toed shoes today in this beautiful 70 degree weather...tomorrow, SNOW!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread