Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Bloody hell. . . God Bless the NHS is all I can say to that. We're so lucky over here. In fact, in England we aren't even as lucky as the Scottish and Welsh because they don't even pay for prescription medication!

Yes Lornette, series 5 of Luther came out here about 2 weeks ago. I just finished season 3 yesterday and season 4 is only 2 episodes so we're nearly ready to go.

I think I'm up to episode 4, maybe 5 of You. I've never seen gossip girl so I had no idea who Penn Badgely was. He's suitably creepy in this though!

I also watched an episode of Tidying Up. The Marie Kondo show on Netflix. I bought her book about 3 years ago and I'm still yet to start. I'm determined to get all my clothes sorted out though to make a start!

Kiki London is great although I've only been myself about 3 times ever. If you come back let me know. It would be great to see if we could meet up!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I think I paid something like $500 toward my deductible last year, mostly because I had to have an eye mapping done because the woman doing my basic eye exam caught something that she thought was odd. It was odd, my eyes are physiologically uneven, which is odd when it comes to your eyes. But I had to pay $300 to find that out and make sure it wasn't something more serious. I understand that if something catastrophic happened to me the health insurance would be worth it...but right now, it's not.

I'm now back in no mans land with binging something new. I might watch Succession again. This time of year I just want to hibernate but even the trailer for that Marie Kondo show has me triggered. I need to tackle my closets and drawers tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Loyal Fan

This is my plan for tomorrow too. My husband is going to take the girls out to soft play so hopefully I can get on with it. . . If I don't get too distracted by watching Riverdale. . . Which is seriously my guilty pleasure right now!

I also need to stop buying clothes and make-up. . . I have bought so much in the last month or so!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I have a terrible habit of going out to buy something new instead of digging through my closet. I made a point to try to stop buying clothing pieces from Target or something that's not as high end so that I could have more classic pieces. But I still buy way more than I should.

My closet is so jam packed I always end up putting my clean laundry on a chair in my room instead of actually putting it away.

Oh man, one of my friends got engaged today on a trip out in Sedona...when she told me about the trip she mentioned she thought it was coming. But what baffles me is that any time we're talking about him it's that she's not sure about him, that if he does this or that it's over. They're always fighting about something, though she's pretty dramatic in general. This is not going to end well. I also do not want to be in another wedding, but she did mention that her bachelorette party will be in Napa, where I've always wanted to visit.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 01-11-2019 at 06:28 PM
Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Master Fan

Whenever I bring up the fact that the rest of the civilized world has universal healthcare, I get hit with... "They don't have as good care as we do.." "Their wait time is really long."... "Over half their paychecks go to taxes." How do you weigh in on that? I'd love to have a good comeback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyThree (View Post)
Bloody hell. . . God Bless the NHS is all I can say to that. We're so lucky over here. In fact, in England we aren't even as lucky as the Scottish and Welsh because they don't even pay for prescription medication!

Kiki London is great although I've only been myself about 3 times ever. If you come back let me know. It would be great to see if we could meet up!
Definetily

I know you guys don't watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I'm on Season 8. I'm really surprised that it was not an Emmy fave. Besides the writing, Danny DeVito and Charlie Day are so good.

A- Your friend can take it from me.. RUN. Don't do it! But Napa is a good time.

Emma- What's soft play? A British term clearly. I love it.

I'm going Hatchet throwing tomorrow night. Should be a good time. But it's supposed to snow and I'm coming from the furthest away.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I've seen Hatchet throwing really taking off, tell me if it's fun!

We have an art installation roller rink that's going on downtown for a few more weeks and I need to get myself down there before it's taken down.

I truly believe we do need universal health care. What we have now is not working, smaller employers (like mine) are not offering health care because it's too expensive for them to cover. I just think back to how spoiled I was growing up with my dad's amazing health care coverage. I can't believe how much my parents pay monthly now that they're basically retired but haven't hit the age where Medicare kicks in.

They are really different people, if anything I'd tell HIM to run. But he's more my speed and she's 100 mph 24/7. I always kind of sympathize with him because she's the friend I go to when I need a crazy night out or a good gossip session. She's kind of exhausting, but I still love her!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:48 PM
Addicted Fan

I'm for universal healthcare also. I'll be honest, I don't know how this country would pay for it, and I honestly don't know if it would affect the level of care or innovative research. I just think there has to be some way where people in the richest nation in the world can get treatment if they're sick and they don't have to go into debt to pay for their cancer drugs or long-term care.

I feel blessed to have health insurance through my job. But just by chance I happened to find out two days ago that our severance packages will NOT include health care, even though the company gave it during the two previous rounds of layoffs. I'd become at peace about losing my job. But now I'm freaked out again. I've got some issues I've been dealing with simultaneously and I've been back and forth between doctors for months now.

Amanda, if you're looking for a new binge, you could always try Luther. It's on Netflix. (At least I hope it still is!)

Have any of you guys ever watched a series called "Friends From College" on Netflix? The second season has started and I saw a clip. I might add it to my watch list.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It's just sobering to think about, I'm a single female who really has no one depending on me who makes a good living but has to pay independently for health care. It's not so much having to pay monthly for the coverage, it's the fact that in order for it to even kick in it basically has to be an illness that is probably going to otherwise bankrupt you. So it saves you from that, but in the mean time if it's something I have to worry about, someone who, I'll be honest, comes from privilege...families/single parents, those living pay check to pay check, how do they even manage? And the answer is, they don't. They either don't get the medical care they need or it ruins them financially.

I want to say my brother pays close to $600 a month to have the gold plan insurance because he has to have it in order to have his mental health treatment covered, which he needs. It's absurd. But then this is going to get me on a rant as to why we have a gun issue but an even larger mental health issue because who can afford that on a normal salary month to month.

Lornette, I might be way off base, but have you looked into COBRA? I have a friend that recently lost her job (while on workers comp for a fall she took on the job, whole 'nother story) and that's what she's dealing with right now. They said they would continue her insurance with her severance, which she needed because she was undergoing knee surgery and they cut her off sooner than expected.

Hopefully you can find a new job with comparable insurance!

I've heard of 'Friends from College' but put it on the back burner for whatever reason. I see Netflix is offering a new show with Gillian Anderson, Sex Eduction, which looks interesting too.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 01-11-2019 at 11:16 PM
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks! I'll look into it! (COBRA). I'm so clueless about these things.

I figured Sex Education was just some dumb American Pie-type teen comedy until I learned Gillian was in it. And I think it's British? So it's on my list.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Sex Education and Friends from College are both on my list. Although I don't think I'll EVER get through my list!

Kiki, if you earn under £11,000 a year you don't pay any tax or national insurance. From £11,000 up to about £46,000 you would pay 20% tax and 12% national insurance which covers the NHS and unemployment and disability benefits. Higher earners pay 40% tax. So to the average Joe, we pay around a third of our wages out. . . But I must say, I have never had any issues with the care we've received. Luckily, and touch wood, as a family we haven't had anything too major. But I would dread to think what the costs would be if we had to pay. I mean my 2 births alone would go into the thousands I imagine!

Soft play. . . I googled this definition from the Cambridge English Dictionary!

activities for small children in an indoor area with play equipment made from soft materials: a soft play area. soft play equipment. The soft play centre offers an affordable and safe environment where your children can play, explore, and make friends.

Because I couldn't find an equivalent American name for it?

Lornette I hope you're ok. Being made redundant must be really scary for you. I hope something turns up.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Master Fan

I believe Cobra is a federal program and is REALLY expensive. When I got divorced, he went off my healthcare and had to go on Cobra. I have excellent healthcare so I can't complain. However, when I retire it won't be as good. I believe we need some type of universal healthcare BUT I do not believe that because you make a lot of money, you should play 40% whereas the lesser you make, the less percentage. And then some people pay nothing. Why should I bust my ass, working two jobs, so people who make under a certain amount can have a free ride? I don't know what the answer is. I think the insurance companies and big Pharma need to check themselves and stop charging astronomical costs for medications and procedures. There needs to be tougher laws and monitoring. Do you know that most of the vaccines that they give our children have never even been trialed and monitored? Reporting of flu statistics have been falsified to get more people to get the flu shot to make $$ Its all so ****ed up and scary. I don't trust anyone any more.

Soft play sounds like a good time!

Last edited by elherts; 01-12-2019 at 12:17 PM
Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

We have places like that here, they don't usually have a standard name. Growing up some were even in McDonald or Burger King, tubes for the kids to play in, ball pits, foam covering everything. All the rage here now is Air Time, an indoor trampoline park for kids. I hope the kids have fun!

I have a friend who actually paid cash for the birth of her first son, I want to say it was over $10,000 but it was still the better option for them because often times doctors/hospitals will negotiate down for an upfront cash payment.

COBRA is super expensive because you're essentially taking on the payment of your health coverage that was taken care of by your employer. But, I thought it was something to look into since she mentioned that she had some ongoing health concerns. Sometimes biting the bullet on that extra payment would still be the better option over having to go to private health insurance and you have to pay more for doctor visits and procedures anyway because the coverage doesn't match what you previously had.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I understand why shows cast premiere or notable actors in certain roles, but in some instances it really ruins the surprise because you know that they're not going to be just some throw away character, which the show acts like they are when they randomly show up half way through for two or three episodes...me still thinking about 'You' and John Stamos as a random therapist.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Y’all have been chatty today!

COBRA is the insurance policy you had while employed. You will pay your portion of the policy plus the portion your employer was paying. You can have it for 18 months. It accomplishes a few things. It keeps you insured, so when you do get a new job, you aren’t subject to preexisting conditions.
It maintains the care you currently have.
You can’t be denied COBRA.
It is expensive, as you are now responsible for 100% of the policy.
If you are even 1 day late in your payment they will drop you without consideration.

Depending on your healthcare needs and beliefs, there are several sharing programs out there. Instead of paying your premium to the company, you pay it to someone who has a financial need. If your premium is 300 a month, the company lets you know who to send the 300 to so that it covers their son’s broken arm. Next month you would send it to someone to cover the birth of their baby. Then they would send you their premium to cover your gallbladder surgery. Does that make sense? They are usually faith based and there are procedures and RX they do not cover.

If your healthcare needs are more holistic based, there’s a company that covers treatments not covered by traditional insurance companies. Chiropractic and acupuncture, for example would apply towards your deductible, where they usually don’t in traditional care.

I feel like we created this s***storm when we moved away from holistic care and pushed big pharma more and more. Most medications are ridiculously expensive and the have a laundry list of side effects. So you go back in for the side effects and leave with a few more RX which have their own side effects as well. It’s a vicious circle. Nor do I believe that modern, traditional, western medicine is making any effort to actually heal us.

My kids have government insurance based on the fact they receive SS benefits from their dad. We had one ER visit in the past 21 months. That’s all we’ve used it for. The providers they have access to through that program are an embarrassment. It’s very difficult to get an appointment if you need it and there are about 5 providers to choose from, it’s so limited. Three of the 5 available, don’t take new patients. It’s a soup sandwich. I am grateful my kids haven’t needed any major medical care. I’m not seeking western medicine answers, so it’s less frustrating for me than most. People relying on this system just hit their heads against a wall. If this system is what national healthcare would look like, I assure you, you do not want it. It would require a major overhaul. Personally, I feel like a national program is not the answer. I’d prefer to see traditional insurance companies required to provide a % of their billions each yr back to facilities and providers to provide care for those in need.

Tidying up is a fast binge, it’s 8 episodes. Watch her fold clothes!! Mind blown. I follow her philosophy for putting everything in boxes or baskets or containers. Most of my closets and cabinets are organized like that.

A, you have to get rid of the clothes that don’t spark joy. Keep the pieces that will build you a wardrobe of classics or base pieces and you can add to, dress up, etc. Her idea isn’t necessarily about eliminating, it’s about keeping what means the most to you. Also, she has a formula for working through the rooms, so it’s not overwhelming.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I understand why shows cast premiere or notable actors in certain roles, but in some instances it really ruins the surprise because you know that they're not going to be just some throw away character, which the show acts like they are when they randomly show up half way through for two or three episodes...me still thinking about 'You' and John Stamos as a random therapist.
I remember Bradley Cooper promoted the series version of Limitless, but I think he was only in one episode.

Quote:
I feel like we created this s***storm when we moved away from holistic care and pushed big pharma more and more. Most medications are ridiculously expensive and the have a laundry list of side effects. So you go back in for the side effects and leave with a few more RX which have their own side effects as well. It’s a vicious circle. Nor do I believe that modern, traditional, western medicine is making any effort to actually heal us.
Well said.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread