Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 AM
Addicted Fan

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association is a group of like 90 foreign journalists who are based in LA. Yep just 90 people.

I'm not outraged about Bohemian Rhapsody, but I think BlacKkKlansman deserved the award in that category. But I definitely hate Green Book even more now. lol I AM outraged about that one. And as much as I love Mahershala, Adam Driver was robbed. (I haven't seen Beautiful Boy yet, though.)

But the results just seem indicative of the year in film. Movies are subjective anyway, but 2018 seemed like there were a bunch of mediocre movies that appealed to people for personal reasons and not because of cinematic achievements. People liked what they liked and they felt like who gives a damn about why. This is the weakest year of nominees I've ever seen.

The Eagles-Bears game was much more exciting!!! WOW! We were just leaving dinner when Chicago got the ball back and I ended up listening to the end in the car. I'm happy for the Eagles, but man I certainly know what the Bears fans are feeling tonight. That was such a Cleveland sports finish.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitscherSunk (View Post)
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association is a group of like 90 foreign journalists who are based in LA. Yep just 90 people.

But the results just seem indicative of the year in film. Movies are subjective anyway, but 2018 seemed like there were a bunch of mediocre movies that appealed to people for personal reasons and not because of cinematic achievements. People liked what they liked and they felt like who gives a damn about why. This is the weakest year of nominees I've ever seen.
Ugh. I can't sleep. Cough medicine has the opposite effect on me, instead of sleepy, it makes me wired. I'm going to be a mess tomorrow.

Having such a big awards show based on 90 foreign journalists, based in LA, is rather strange. How did it become such a big deal? That being said... foreign is key. Bohemian Rhapsody made $200 million domestically but $600 million worldwide, making it the highest grossing biopic of all time. Clearly foreign audiences/critics/journalists thought the movie was special. Movies are definitely subjective even when ranking cinematic achievements. The Oscars will probably be very different and I guess that is the closest to "judging on craft" since it's the members of the academy that vote. Bohemian Rhapsody may not even get nominated, ALTHOUGH it was nominated in the ensemble category for the SAGS which is their equivalent of best picture... so.... I don't agree that its the weakest year of nominees, I think its like that every year. There are always movies that make me go ?.?????? I haven't seen Green Book or Blackkklansman but I intend to. The Favourite was very good.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
Ugh. I can't sleep. Cough medicine has the opposite effect on me, instead of sleepy, it makes me wired. I'm going to be a mess tomorrow.
Did you ever get to sleep? You must be exhausted right now!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That end to the Bears game could not have pleased me more. I know so many insufferable Bears fans. But the writing was on the wall with that missed field goal. Parkey struggled and hit the upright against the Lions at least twice in a game this year. After that game they had news helicopters filming him practicing kicking at practice. The pressure has been on all year.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Master Fan

I slept about an hour.

They are now saying that one of the Eagles got a fingertip on that kick, but who knows.

BTW... I remember you guys talking about The Bodyguard. I didn't know what you were talking about, but I do now! HELLO HOTTY!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I don't know how you can function on that amount of sleep. I slept like five hours last night and felt in an absolute fog all day. I'm starting to fall into my usual after Christmas winter blues. Never fails, every year I get into this funk. The worst part is knowing that you're in the funk and still can't manage to shake it.

I was disappointed The Bodyguard wasn't a longer series, the last episode feels rushed. But it was a good show. Richard Madden was hot in Game of Thrones but not as hot as in The Bodyguard.

I did see a few slow downs of the play where it looked like he might have gotten a fingertip on it, just enough to make it spin just the wrong way. This though was probably my favorite part of the play...

Last edited by worthyoflove; 01-07-2019 at 05:03 PM
Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Loyal Fan

Kiki where in England did you go?!

Also. . . That was terrible of Rory!

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star is Born, but I agree that BlacKkKlansman was AMAZING! One of the best films I've seen.

I'm not up to speed with who won what at the Globes. . . Just the wrong time of day for me. I saw an article about all the Brits who had won stuff but I've had a hell of a day with the kids today so I haven't seen much. We're continuing to binge Luther at the minute.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Kiki, here’s a bird box meme for you.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Master Fan

I don't know anything about Bird Box or the Memes but THAT is the truth right there. I told them today that I decided to become really strict and mean (I'm very sarcastic with them) and they all just sat there and blinked. I think my point was made..lol They knew I was kidding, well most of them.

I stayed in London when I went to England and then we took some day trips up to two hours out. I'm dying to go back. My niece is probably going to do a semester abroad in either Spain or Italy, so my cousin and I are going to do a little European adventure. Hoping to get back to England.

I dozed off for about 15 minutes watching TV and now I'm WIDE AWAKE.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyThree (View Post)
I'm not up to speed with who won what at the Globes. . . Just the wrong time of day for me. I saw an article about all the Brits who had won stuff but I've had a hell of a day with the kids today so I haven't seen much. We're continuing to binge Luther at the minute.
I've been in the mood to binge Luther from the start to lead up to the new series. It's already on in the UK, right?

That meme is hilarious. lol I guess I've missed the Bird Box memes, but I'm loving all the AOC (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) dance remixes. lol

Last edited by KitscherSunk; 01-07-2019 at 11:43 PM
Old 01-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I might have to try Luther, I've never seen it. It's always one of those that is suggested for me on Netflix. I hate finishing something, even if I've seen it before. It's always a struggle to get into something new and switch gears.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Addicted Fan

Luther can get pretty dark. But that's kind of why I like it so much. American cop/detective shows wouldn't normally go where it goes. By the way, Ruth Wilson co-stars and she's brilliant.

KiKi, I've been thinking, and I really didn't mean to offend or anger you with my "year of weak movies" comment. I know you love Bohemian Rhapsody. I have no objections to it winning the Globe. It's kind of cool that a movie that was so trashed by critics and that the industry was ready to just toss away actually found an audience and then won a top award.

I realized what I THINK I meant is that critics and the industry each year anoint certain movies as the "best," while ignoring others that are just as good or better. And this year, I feel the movies they decided early to get behind just aren't as strong. I've seen some great movies this year, and some great performances. But a lot of them were overlooked. Blindspotting is arguably still my favorite movie of last year, and it's been almost forgotten. And I do believe because BlacKkKlansman came out so early, people have forgotten just how good it was. Even a movie I ended up thinking didn't work, Hereditary, was really original with its screenplay and direction, and Toni Collette was just outstanding.

Meanwhile, A Star is Born, for example, turned out to be better than people thought it would since it was Bradley's debut and Gaga's acting ability was an early question mark. And so since it got so much attention at Toronto, and with the big names involved, it just got swept up along with certain other movies for awards season. When in reality, people really like the movie, but I don't know as the months go by whether people are still "wowed" by it. Do you know what I mean?

Meanwhile, I think Rami's performance was just so good and the movie has made so much money, the industry couldn't ignore it, even though people were dismissing it before it even opened.

Anyway, sorry to go on so much about it. I'm sounding like a major movie nerd.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Literally one of my favorite movies of the year was Annihilation. I actually forgot that it even came out in 2018 because it was just randomly dropped in February. I think it's eligible for this awards season, if it is I'd hope that it would at least get some Cinematography recognition at the Oscars.

But the movie awards are always so political, it's dropping a movie at exactly the right time during your awards season window going to the right festivals, etc. It's kind of crazy how they literally run campaigns. I feel like at least with TV awards it's a little less political. Though the Hollywood Foreign press is known for accepting gifts or lavish trips to screenings so, that's always questionable as well. But it's who has the momentum at the right time. Looking back at a lot of the best picture winners i would say most of the time they probably got it right, or at least it could be considered a top five movie of that year. Then you'll get a clunker every once in awhile, like Crash...

Then I think to last year and what was vying for best picture and I always wonder how they would fair against this years crop. Like something like Only the Brave...does that get consideration if it's released this year?

I really like Ruth Wilson. Another reason to check it out. I actually burned through two episodes of 'You' on Netflix tonight. It's basically a more sinister, murdery, Gossip Girl.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I actually burned through two episodes of 'You' on Netflix tonight. It's basically a more sinister, murdery, Gossip Girl.
How is that even possible?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I mean, spoiler alert, but Dan turned out to be Gossip Girl, right? Penn Badgley plays the main character in 'You' and it's narrated from his perspective. Like he's literally giving you a play by play, kind of like Gossip Girl, except there is more graphic sex and murder...then again I never finished Gossip Girl so there was probably a murder in there along the way too.

It's good so far.

There are giant wild Turkey's in my office's parking lot. I was worried the one was going to chase me, they have babies right now. They were super close to the building. Usually all I have to worry about his geese.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread