Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I loved season 1, but it has it's faults plot wise. Acting, chemistry, directing, mood, all top notch. I think, after now seeing three seasons of TD, people will be disappointed if they're going in expecting a straight crime based show. It is definitely more character driven stories and about the individuals and how they're dealing with their messy lives while going about solving these crimes.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 PM
Addicted Fan

I FINALLY finished the finale. It's definitely better than season 2 in my opinion, but I can't see myself watching TD again. I think it's time to just let True Detective die. The series just doesn't feel necessary anymore. Cable and streaming have changed so much since the first season premiered, I don't think people have the patience for it anymore, and you do have to have lots of patience. I don't think the payoff is worth it. For example, this season, as with last season, could've been cut to a two-hour movie and it would've been really good. But eight episodes is just too much. Anyway, Mahershala and Stephen's performances really drove it. I don't know how I feel about the ending. Part of me really liked it, while the other part of me wonders if I actually "got" it.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I agree that I don't know where they'd really go from here. This season kind retread a lot of the aspects of season one. I think you can do that once, but if they do renew it for another season I think it needs to be completely different and I'm not sure that they can pull that off. I mean they can try, but I don't know that it will be successful.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Addicted Fan

How about Laura Linney stars in a Midwestern city, like small-town Ohio or Pennsylvania. And have Pizzo create the story and write some episodes, but not all of them. It needs new energy.

Haha, I just Googled his name to see what he was up to next and came across this on Newsweek. So it sounds like it has a good chance of coming back. Maybe one of those recurring characters he speaks about could be Woodrugh.

Quote:
True Detective Season 4 Release Date? Creator Nic Pizzolatto Has A 'Wild' Idea

HBO's True Detective concluded its third season Sunday, and while it hasn't officially been renewed for Season 4, creator Nic Pizzolatto has already talked about future plans for the show.

It's no secret that Season 3 was wildly successful. In competition with the Academy Awards on Sunday, True Detective's season finale drew in 1.38 million live viewers. It is currently the network’s third-most-watched series. Per HBO, its viewership jumps to around eight million viewers when accounting for multi-platform viewings, according to an Observer report.

Sunday's finale put to rest the questions surrounding the events that happened to the Purcell children; however, left numerous questions unanswered. If Pizzolatto follows the pattern of a completely different story each season, then the questions will have to remain unanswered, but that fact could be made up for through his "wild" idea for Season 4.

"I dream of making a TV show where you have recurring characters and don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time. After one of these, I always feel so depleted. But I have to say … I have an idea," the writer told Entertainment Weekly (https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/09/true-de...mpression=true) earlier this month.

"It’s really, really wild. Where do you even go after this [season]? I just had a lead character who’s 35, 45 and 70 all at the same time and this mystery that has to reach false resolutions and keep going into the future without cheating the audience and all these complicated structural elements," he continued. "But I have an idea that’s kind of crazy. I think it needs to percolate for a while. I was looking to do another series, maybe a movie, in the meantime."

The previous season of the drama series had mixed reactions from fans, so after taking a break for health and personal reasons, Pizzolatto debuted Season 4 over 3 years later. While there aren't many details about the idea the writer mentioned, it does look like True Detective has been reinvented.

"I would say now I’m feeling generative and want to keep that momentum going — if I’m allowed to," Pizzolatto said.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

If he can come up with something super unique and unlike previous seasons go for it. And I'd say for sure Laura Linney although she's pretty entrenched in Ozarks which kind of wades into TD territory.

I'd take Laura Dern or Gillian Anderson! Though he struggled writing women characters and even when collaborating with others on this third season, he seemed to have a pretty strong stamp on the entire vibe/story/writing.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I love Rachel so I'm always excited to hear she's doing something new, and a comedy with Will Ferrell no less.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Will is hit or miss for me...mostly miss. I really only like elf.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Elf is a favorite, but Old School, Anchorman and Step Brothers are right up there for me in regards to Will.

He's actually been producing a lot recently, that show Dead Like Me he just produced and he's producing Succession on HBO, which is just odd to me because its not really a comedy.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Addicted Fan

I do love Elf, but my favorite Will Ferell movie is one that no one ever talks about: "Semi-Pro." OMG that movie is hilarious! oh and it's TD related because Woody Harrelson costars. I also really like "Land of the Lost," but before "Holmes and Watson" last Christmas, I think Semi-Pro and Land of the Lost were his two biggest bombs. So clearly there's a pattern with me. lol

I was going through the upcoming scheduled recordings on my DVR (making sure the new season of Luther was set to record) and I noticed HBO one weekend soon is having a True Detectve marathon. For a second I actually got soooo excited thinking maybe they're rerunning the entire series including season two. No such luck of course -- it's just the most recent season.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

They filmed Semi-Pro here in Michigan. Actually the arena they use for the games for the Flint Tropics was the arena in the league I used to work for, when the Flint Generals played there. It's always odd to see places you frequented in movies.

I wish they'd marathon the whole thing. Every once in a while they'll throw on a random full series marathon...but I suppose it's just different with TD since they're stand alone series.

I did see Nic mentioned season 4 and his idea for it. I can't remember what he said about it now but he made it sound like he was hopeful it would be happening.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Vulture ranked all of the HBO series', ever.

I don't know if I agree with some of these, but that's just personal taste. Entourage seems way too low for me as does Six Feet Under, but for me that's just a top five show in general. Pleased to see Succession on there and in the top 20, the first season was so well done and that's a new underrated favorite. I can't really disagree with any of the top 10, I've seen them all and they're all iconic in their own way, other than the Larry Sanders show. That was before my time really.

Quote:
24. True Detective (2014–present)
Perhaps the ultimate example of auteur television, Nic Pizzolatto’s anthology crime series has zero narrative continuity from season to season, save for one moment in its third that suggests that they all exist in the same world. The only real continuity is in Pizzolatto’s obsessions: hard-boiled, hard-drinking lawmen working the case that will define (and ruin) their lives; criminal conspiracies that lead to sources of institutional power and unfathomable evil; and a neo-noir style that’s reflected in both the look of the show and in dialogue that often turns deep purple. The seasons vary in quality, but even the worst of them (yes, the second) have a pungent atmosphere and reliably excellent lead performances.
https://www.vulture.com/article/best...er-ranked.html
Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Master Fan

I randomly watched the Jimmy Fallon "Buddy" interview the other day. I still smile the whole way through it. Best interview ever!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It is so cute. I love when you can tell that the host and guest genuinely are having a moment and get along and making each other lose it.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
It is so cute. I love when you can tell that the host and guest genuinely are having a moment and get along and making each other lose it.
It should be a rule that he always does Fallon. Every. Time. Hopefully, he will for 21 Bridges.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Hopefully if he does do press and has to do a talk show it's him. I'd taken Corden again too.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread