Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2016, 08:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Paul Woodrugh (True Detective) Appreciation Thread #6: Because He Was Just Trying To Be A Good Man

Welcome to Paul Woodrugh {True Detective} appreciation thread

Premieres Sunday, June 21st on HBO

Season 2 of “True Detective” will focus on three police officers and a career criminal navigating a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder.
Paul Woodrugh, a handsome, 28-year-old military veteran who has seen his own share of violence and destruction. He will be a very different sort of cop - a man running from a difficult past and from 'a scandal that never happened.' He’s a motorcycle California Highway Patrol officer who’s put on leave after soliciting oral sex from a beautiful girl he pulls over for drunk driving. He reports to Commander Floyd Heschmeyer and has a Latino girlfriend he breaks up with when he’s assigned to the Caspar investigation.

Quote:
A bizarre murder brings together three law-enforcement officers and a career criminal, each of whom must navigate a web of conspiracy and betrayal in the scorched landscapes of California. Colin Farrell is Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective in the all-industrial City of Vinci, LA County. Vince Vaughn plays Frank Semyon, a criminal and entrepreneur in danger of losing his life’s work, while his wife and closest ally (Kelly Reilly), struggles with his choices and her own. Rachel McAdams is Ani Bezzerides, a Ventura County Sheriff’s detective often at odds with the system she serves, while Taylor Kitsch plays Paul Woodrugh, a war veteran and motorcycle cop for the California Highway Patrol who discovers a crime scene which triggers an investigation involving three law enforcement groups, multiple criminal collusions, and billions of dollars.

Cast:
Adria Arjona ... Emily
Colin Farrell ... Ray Velcoro
Taylor Kitsch ... Paul Woodrugh
Rachel McAdams ... Sheriff Ani Bezzerides
Kelly Reilly ... Wife
Vince Vaughn ... Frank Semyon

future titles:
Because We Get The World We Deserve.
Because This Isn't Me. I'm Not Doing This.

“I’ve Never Walked Away From Something As Excited And Proud As I Am Of This."
Because He Didn't Know True Was Going To Be Near As Emotional.
Because You Do What They Say. It Doesn’t Matter.
Because Everybody's Not Always On The Same Side.
Because We Love That They Call Him "The Kid".
Old 06-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

We just finished watching episode 6, the sex party episode...some discussion from the previous thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitscherSunk (View Post)
^ Same here!

Taylor was great in The Normal Heart, but I must respectfully disagree about Jim Parsons. The final scene, with the cards and the Rolodex, just gutted me -- mostly because it was so understated. He played every scene perfectly in my opinion, even if his role isn't as big as some of the others. And I'm not a fan of him or Big Bang Theory, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Back to TD2: On second viewing, that orgy/party sequence really bothers me. I recall reading a criticism of the show that said Pizzo added a female lead to answer S1 critics, but that the women were still largely used as objects, to be exploited. And when you think about it, Ani going undercover really wasn't integral to solving the case. Rachel was good in the scenes, but why couldn't she, Ray and Paul just have followed the bus, snuck in the way Ray and Paul did, steal the papers and leave?

Ray's kid annoys the living heck out of me. I'm sympatheitc to any child in a dysfunctional family. But that kid is a drip. Maybe it was his acting.

Colin is amazing. There's so much great TV though, and TD2 was so poorly received, I think maybe Rachel is the only one who has a shot at being nominated. Sadly, Taylor has zero chance, in my opinion.

Sorry if I sound argumentative. I'm just seeing more flaws in TD2 than virtues this second time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I think I've found some scenes that I've appreciated more on second viewing and then some, like last night, where I remember really enjoying and then just not this time around.

There were a lot of things that happened to every character that you just think, why? Paul's scars, even his relationship with his mom was kind of unnecessary to his story in the long run, they could have done without her all together almost. The molestation thing with Ani's character. Yes it maybe explained her promiscuity and inability to connect but it seemed just kind of thrown in there and an excuse for why she was the way she was. Like she couldn't just be a hardened/jaded female cop without having some life changing sexual abuse revelation.

I don't particularly care for Jim (I've read/seen some fan encounters where he's not very gracious) I can't stand the Big Bang Theory, so maybe that is partially why I just didn't feel all that connected to his character. I mean he did a good job and some of his scenes were incredibly well played but I just have trouble seeing him as anyone other than Sheldon sometimes, it might be the voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
I think the Riggins tackle outside the orgy house deserves an Emmy itself. I watched that darn scene 5 times last night. I hadn't noticed it the first time around and for some reason it just makes me laugh.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:06 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

TFTNT!
I need to catch up. Hopefully, I will this weekend.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

We really only have one episode to go because I'm not so sure I want to watch the finale without Taylor.

Also found this interesting. I think HBO would totally do another season with Rust. They should combine it with some of the characters in season 2! Matthew would essentially be bringing TD back from the dead.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

tftnt, great title!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Master Fan

There were a lot of things that happened to every character that you just think, why? Paul's scars, even his relationship with his mom was kind of unnecessary to his story in the long run, they could have done without her all together almost. The molestation thing with Ani's character. Yes it maybe explained her promiscuity and inability to connect but it seemed just kind of thrown in there and an excuse for why she was the way she was. Like she couldn't just be a hardened/jaded female cop without having some life changing sexual abuse revelation.

I agree. The scars, his mom was creepy, and even the whole Black Mountain thing were unexplained. I'm hoping Black Mountain is explained more in Episode 7 because I can't remember anything.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

New internet is up and working! I'll catch up on the two episodes I missed.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:48 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
We really only have one episode to go because I'm not so sure I want to watch the finale without Taylor.
This is totally a SPOILER so if anyone who's lurking hasn't watched yet, skip my post.

I was so disgusted after Paul was killed, it actually took me the entire week to decide whether I would even watch the finale! I did, but I was only half interested. I've saved every episode on my DVR since the show aired -- except the finale.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I was so sad about Paul being killed, like it really made me sad, I couldn't sleep that night. It was funny because we were following his sightings while he was filming and he was in Austin when Rachel and Colin were still filming and we were all "hope that doesn't mean he's killed off" jokingly...little did we know.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Addicted Fan

More SPOILER talk....

Quote:
I was so sad about Paul being killed, like it really made me sad, I couldn't sleep that night.
In my last post I was embarrassed to admit I actually cried. He was never going to be the father he so desperately wanted to be. I kept hearing him say, "I just want to be a good man." And then I'd burst out crying again. Then I got mad. I remember even ranting to friends about it the next day! lol Like, how could they kill off the most sympathetic character?! I even tried to convince myself that maybe he could've survived that last shot. It wasn't a head shot, after all. Paul was strong. He was a fighter. Etc. Then I read an "exit" interview with Taylor and it was like, nope, he's dead. lol That's when I started debating about even bothering to watch the finale at all.

Sorry, I suppose this is a conversation for the rewatch.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Nope, I completely relate. I didn't cry, but I'm not much of a crier. But I was seriously disappointed and frustrated with how his story ended. I was even more upset in the finale when they showed Emily with his daughter when they were dedicating the highway to him. I debated not watching the finale either but thought I'd put in seven episodes so I'd watch the last one.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:18 AM
Master Fan

I was so sad for his daughter too. Especially since he was so excited to be a father. Either he was so excited or was happy to have a way to have structure and a good way to hide that he was gay.

Gotta love Perez Hilton.

Last edited by elherts; 06-26-2016 at 07:50 AM
Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Haha, that's kind of funny. It was just such a brutal way to die and he had a baby on the way. I teared up a little when they showed his daughter when they were doing the dedication for the high way, partially because Taylor did point out in his exit interview that he just thought Paul would be a really good dad.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Master Fan

What's an exit interview?
Old 06-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Oh, just that he was killed off before the series ended and HBO did an interview with him to talk about what went down. I don't think any of the other actors did that same last interview.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread