Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2019, 04:06 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Humanoid beast. I.can’t. I really really can’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGirl14 (View Post)
Great News!! I like the idea that he's getting back to work sooner rather than later (as opposed to taking another year off) - I guess I'm a little selfish that way.

Kinda glad its not the Brazil thing - I'm sure he would have been great in that role but I think this sounds more interesting and different.

Lastly, I'm beginning to think he should just take up residency in New Mexico (or at least a second residency) - he spends a lot of time there. At least the roads are open (which can make for awesome motorcycle riding) and he'll be there in the winter (which is the best time (i.e. the only time) to be in New Mexico).
Shut your mouth! I JUST moved to Austin, don’t run him off!
Old 10-24-2019, 04:09 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I'll make a thread for this since it does seem like it's confirmed and production will be starting in the next couple months.

And he did confirm in his IG post that it'll be filming in New Mexico.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

A few new interviews dropped today from Taylor:

Quote:
Taylor Kitsch on ‘21 Bridges’ and Taking Pride in 'John Carter’

The actor, who has experienced ups and downs, notes his high-profile Disney flop has had a “mini-resurgence” in recent years: “People stop me all the time for that.”

[This story contains spoilers for 21 Bridges]

Taylor Kitsch takes everything in stride — including his career. The 21 Bridges star became an overnight sensation in 2006 via NBC’s critically lauded TV series Friday Night Lights, whose devout following refused to let the football drama die after each underviewed season. Because of his breakout role as fullback/running back Tim Riggins, Hollywood quickly created movie star expectations for Kitsch, but once his first two blockbusters, John Carter and Battleship, vastly underperformed at the box office, Hollywood quickly threw the baby out with the bathwater. Fortunately for Kitsch, he soon found his footing with a string of well-reviewed performances including HBO’s The Normal Heart, Lone Survivor and True Detective.

While Kitsch couldn’t control the expectations placed on him, he appreciates the ups and downs as well as the continued opportunities to jump back and forth between leading man and character actor. In his latest movie, 21 Bridges, Kitsch plays a supporting role as Ray Jackson, a war veteran and small-time criminal who’s being hunted by veteran police detective Andre Davis (Chadwick Boseman). Soon, Kitsch will return as the lead in Neill Blomkamp’s Inferno.

“I could honestly give a **** if I’m fifteenth on the call sheet or first,” Kitsch tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I see myself as a character actor first, and it really boils down to that. I love coming in and playing a flashy guy like Ray and supporting Chadwick… So, I have no problem doing one scene if it’s something worthy or something that makes me uncomfortable.”

Oddly enough, Kitsch has noticed a recent resurgence for Disney’s John Carter, one of the films that didn’t meet box office expectations.

“I think it got another life when it went on Netflix not long ago… People stop me all the time for that, especially in Europe,” Kitsch says. “Maybe, at the time, it was more of a knee-jerk reaction of ‘let’s see how we can bury this and everyone that has a part in it.’ Over time, I think you take a breath and understand that it is what it is… I guess people who watch it now for the first time can take a lot more away from it than people did at first… I learned a ton on that movie. I honestly don’t see it as a failure.”

In a recent conversation with THR, Kitsch also discusses his upcoming lead role in Neill Blomkamp’s Inferno, his memories from the series finale of Friday Night Lights and his experience on True Detective season two.

My favorite part of movie robberies is the mask choices, and in 21 Bridges, your character, Ray, wears a skull bandana of sorts. If you ever performed your own make-believe robbery, what would be your go-to mask?

Ooh. It’s funny because I do it in Savages as well. There was a long debate — and no one knows this — but we were going to wear old man masks. We screen-tested it, and I was just hoping that [Oliver] Stone would go for it. But, they went away from that, obviously. I would probably do something more enveloping — more like a full head thing. The old man mask — I was dying laughing in it. It’s a little more self-deprecating, and maybe a **** you to whomever is coming after you. I’d probably go in that kind of direction. Point Break had all those President masks, and that was a lot of fun because you’re along for the ride.

It seems like there’s less and less crime drama these days — at least on the big screen. Do you also get that sense within the industry?

Without a doubt. I notice it with scripts to be honest. It’s the stuff that I grew up on. This is kind of an ode to those thrillers: the Heats, the Serpicos, the Dog Day Afternoons, the Mean Streets. Obviously, I’m not comparing it to those classics, but I think we all know the game has changed with the studios and their direction. I think I’m doctoring up the stat, but I think 21 of the last 22 number-one movies have been superhero, or sequel, or prequel, or something like that. Original content from major studios is getting rarer and rarer to hit theaters. Hopefully, this does well, and we can keep making these types of movies.

There’s the cliche that villains or antagonists think they’re the heroes of their own story. Actors are also taught to not judge their characters. With that in mind, did you find a way to humanize Ray Jackson even though he’s one of your most ruthless characters?

I think you have to. You have to erase your own judgements like you said. It’s imperative to go in with a clean slate as much as you can. That loyalty with Stephan James’ character, Michael, is a beautifully tragic thing for Ray, and that was my hook into it all. He is a stone-cold killer, but for me, personally, he’s willing to literally die out of loyalty to Michael and the guilt over losing Michael’s brother overseas. There is humanity, and it is gray. You’ve gotta tip the hat to Brian Kirk, our director, as he really gave me the reins and that responsibility to go there with him. We reworked it a bit to infuse that. If Kirk called me and said, “Your character just kill cops,” literally anybody could go do that role. You always want to make it as deep as you can. That’s why we do this.

Ray also reveals he’s in recovery at a certain point in the film. Besides loyalty and guilt, was that character detail another major draw for you since it gave you something else to play?

It was everything. It starts with this stone-cold guy that you don’t think is gonna crack, and to see that, to understand that and to relapse because of the circumstance, that is everything. The scene at the vault was a pivotal scene — to see him start to unravel. He also mentions the loss of Michael’s brother in this moment. This guy is human, and you have to show that.

My screening was so loud that I couldn’t hear Ray’s final line, but it seems like he died trying to take all the blame off of Michael. Before giving your thoughts on his death scene, do you remember the final line?

Of course. It’s “Michael, he’s not like me.” That was two takes. It was one of the last scenes and my only scene with Chadwick (Boseman). That’s literally his last breath. Thankfully, we shot that later in the shooting schedule. Kirk and I really worked on that in the script: what would he say, how do we want to end him and make this an earned beat in the film, especially for Ray. We really didn’t rehearse, but we talked about that moment when I signed on and then we reworked it to that. There was a little bit of luck with Chadwick’s character in that moment, which really grounds it. I think he was gonna lose that gunfight if that innocent guy doesn’t come around the corner. Ray was just trained on those steps. And, just as important, the moment where he lets go of the woman. He’s dying, and he knows it. Ray dragged his hand across a handrail and wall so that Chadwick would follow his blood, giving Michael more time. That’s why Ray told Michael they had to split up; Ray didn’t want to tell him he was gonna die.

You’ve handled weapons in plenty of past projects. Did you have to do weapons training again, or have you maintained those skills over the years?

You always want to press the refresh button. A lot of these weapons are different as well. It’s repetition, repetition, repetition. I feel I have a good base for it. I feel very comfortable with it, but I don’t really handle weapons unless I’m working or the job calls for it. I don’t do a whole lot of that when I’m at home. I just practice those reloads, learn how to unjam and all those kind of things. You want to be comfortable, and you want it to be a part of you so you don’t even think about it while you’re working and in character. It’s a great tool to have.

Do you ever try to avoid using the same style or moves as Lone Survivor’s Michael Murphy or True Detective’s Paul Woodrugh?

To be honest, I’m not that conscious of it. The characters are just so different. I had the same Navy SEAL teach me the handgun stuff and the M4 stuff — from Lone to True. They just say, “Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Take your time. You’re in no rush. Make sure you have the target before you shoot.” I think it’s more what’s behind the eyes in that sense. The movements are usually pretty similar if you really train with a gun. Certain people may have their own movement, but SEALS or police officers know the second you pick up a gun if you know what you’re doing or not.

Is 21 Bridges the most night shoots you’ve ever done?

I did a series [Shadowplay] in Europe right after this, and we did a crazy amount of night shoots on that. I don’t wish it on anybody. You literally kind of lose your mind. When you’re a month in, your off-days are messed up because you don’t want to screw up that pattern. You’re doing these scenes at 4 or 5 in the morning. You go to bed at 9 a.m. and you’re up at 2 p.m. or 2:30 p.m., hopefully you can work out first. Then, you’re on set rehearsing the scene during the daylight, and the second it gets dark, you’re shooting it. It’s tough on the crew; it’s tough on everybody. It’s obviously a huge part of this movie since it takes place in five allotted hours. So, you know what you’re signing up for.

When it comes to shooting on location, do you prefer shooting all over a major city, or are you most partial to remote locations around the world?

Whatever suits the script. I will take locations any day of the week over a ****ing studio. I’m not a huge fan of studios, but I understand you have to use them. 21 Bridges was all on location, and I love that. It just puts you in the moment, and you’ve got all these factors that you probably wouldn’t have to deal with in a controlled environment.

You’re an actor who can be a leading man and a character actor as needed. When making choices at this point, are you less concerned with the type of role as long as the writing, cast and filmmaker are compelling?

Obviously, I’ve had great lows, great highs and this and that. I’ve worked with some amazing people. That’s always been the target — just be scared, be uncomfortable and take risks. My next one with is with (Neill) Blomkamp, and it is the lead. My character is basically in every scene of this movie, but the character and the tone of this is what draws me. I could honestly give a **** if I’m fifteenth on the call sheet or first. I see myself as a character actor first, and it really boils down to that. While kind of impossible, if David Koresh was seventh on the call sheet, I still would’ve done Waco. I love coming in and playing a flashy guy like Ray and supporting Chadwick, a guy who’s been doing great work and is an even better guy. So, I have no problem doing one scene if it’s something worthy or something that makes me uncomfortable.

Jumping back a bit, I’ve heard a surprising number of people celebrate John Carter in recent years and how it deserved a much better fate. Have you noticed how well Carter has aged?

I think it got another life when it went on Netflix not long ago, maybe a year ago or something, but, yes, to be blunt. People stop me all the time for that, especially in Europe. It’s had a little mini-resurgence. Maybe, at the time, it was more of a knee-jerk reaction of “let’s see how we can bury this and everyone that has a part in it.” Over time, I think you take a breath and understand that it is what it is… I guess people who watch it now for the first time can take a lot more away from it than people did at first. It’s always flattering, and I learned a ton on that movie. I honestly don’t see it as a failure. I have great memories from it, and I still talk to a bunch of the cast. It is what it is, right?

True Detective has helped fill the big screen’s crime drama void, and I actually enjoyed your season from an actor and character standpoint. Was that a great experience regardless of how it was received?

Yeah, it was. I still check in with Nic once in a while to see how he’s doing. Selfishly, probably, because I’d love for him to write me something. (Laughs.) Going back to that first beat, these noir movies or shows aren’t really getting made much, and Pizzolatto is a beast. I’d work with him again in a heartbeat. I loved his process. I watched True Detective Season One, and I remember saying, “This is the kind of stuff I want to be a part of.” Obviously, it worked out, and I’d do it again. But, yeah, I’m a huge fan of Pizzo, and we got along incredibly well. I’m still grateful for that opportunity.

I’m not gonna ask you about a Friday Night Lights reunion or revival since you’ve been pretty consistent about not being interested.

Right. Thank you.

Since the finale is where you’d prefer to leave things, what do you remember most about those final couple scenes of yours with Adrianne (Palicki) and Derek (Phillips)?

It was sombering — metaphorically, literally. Doing that sunset scene on this house they were trying to build is such a metaphor. I like that they left it open, and that’s very FNL. We made the audience work for everything, and I love that process. I try to keep that with me in everything I do. It was just a beautiful moment, and you’ve gotta tip your hat to [showrunner] Jason Katims. He was really receptive to our ideas and applied a few of them. I’m still best friends with Derek Phillips, who was obviously Billy Riggins for five years. He actually came to Prague and visited on my last gig. I’m a big supporter of his, too. We laughed a lot, but it was just sombering, not just with that scene, but because it was over. It was a 5-year run against all odds. I don’t remember a day where we weren’t being told it was going to be canceled. I think we ended up on 25 networks, on 16 different days and at 12 different times. (Laughs.) That allowed me to just enjoy the process because it can be taken away from you in a minute.

Is there a Friday Night Lights cast group text?

No, we’ve moved forward. I’m still in touch with (Kyle) Chandler, Connie (Britton), Derek (Phillips) and (Jesse) Plemons. I wish everyone all the best, and it all ended on great terms.

You touched on it already, but how did Shadowplay go?

Well, I think. I’ve seen a baby teaser of it, and it’s beautiful. I love that period piece. Nina Hoss is one of the best actors I’ve ever worked with. The cast is great including Mike C. Hall. It was a long shoot; we were all just exhausted, but I can’t wait to see how it turned out.

What else can you say about Neill Blomkamp’s Inferno?

It’s about a guy who loses everything and will do anything to get it back. There’s some beautiful undertones with addiction and immigration. It’s something that I can’t wait to dive into. It’ll be very challenging; it’s emotionally raw.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 11-26-2019 at 05:31 PM
Old 11-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Addicted Fan

Hey Amanda, you might want to put SPOILER or something right above the interview. It gets pretty detailed.

I only had time to read half (I'm at work) but I LOVE this interview! I didn't realize the handrail was on purpose, but it was clear
Spoiler:
Now I want a movie about just Ray and Michael.

Also, it sounds like he's not a big hunter after all.

Thanks for posting it. I'll finish it later.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I'll bold the part in the article that states there are 21 Bridges spoilers, it's easy to miss.

I thought I was safe today from anything new and didn't bring my laptop to work and ugh, why didn't they do all this last week.

And yes to a Ray/Michael movie. When they were talking about how they knew each other and where they came from in the movie...THAT should have been the movie.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Great article!
Old 12-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Old 12-26-2019, 07:39 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

A trend we should all stop. But... I doubt it’s going away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
Old 12-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

We're too attached to our phones and depend on them to heavily now to stay in contact with others.

I'll find myself thinking about what we did before we had our phones to play on 24/7 and we had to sit and wait for an appointment. There are some courts I can't take my phone in and it's torture while I wait.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
We're too attached to our phones and depend on them to heavily now to stay in contact with others.

I'll find myself thinking about what we did before we had our phones to play on 24/7 and we had to sit and wait for an appointment. There are some courts I can't take my phone in and it's torture while I wait.
No joke. I can’t even watch tv now without my iPad in front of me playing a game while I watch.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSweetieTX (View Post)
No joke. I can’t even watch tv now without my iPad in front of me playing a game while I watch.
It's terrible. I'm always on my phone. I've started leaving it in the car and plugging it in another room at night. The other night in the city, my niece was on her phone constantly. Everything is a fashion show. She snapchats with her friends 24/7. Apparently some of our antics while stuck on I80 the other night made it to SnapChat and I had no idea. Me blasting We Will Rock You and dancing in the middle of the road.. oh good times. We were stir crazy. Some of my students have AppleWatches and have to remember that they could film or record from them!

I have felt a cold brewing for a few days, today it hit me. I just got out of bed for the first time today and made myself a grilled cheese sandwich.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
It's terrible. I'm always on my phone. I've started leaving it in the car and plugging it in another room at night. The other night in the city, my niece was on her phone constantly. Everything is a fashion show. She snapchats with her friends 24/7. Apparently some of our antics while stuck on I80 the other night made it to SnapChat and I had no idea. Me blasting We Will Rock You and dancing in the middle of the road.. oh good times. We were stir crazy. Some of my students have AppleWatches and have to remember that they could film or record from them!

I have felt a cold brewing for a few days, today it hit me. I just got out of bed for the first time today and made myself a grilled cheese sandwich.
I hate that you are sick! That’s no fun. You need to be better before NYE... can’t start the new year sick!
Old 12-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
Grilled Cheese always makes everything better but still sending healing wishes your way!!
Old 01-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

This interview is from Vanity Fair Italy. I thought maybe it was something we'd seen from him before but it is an original interview. I had to translate it, so forgive me if some of it is not exactly word for word.

Quote:
Waiting to see him on the big screen in City of Crime (21 Bridges), after months of hard work on the set, Taylor Kitsch relaxes on his two wheels: traveling-king, photographing and meeting people I don't know are my great passions

Whenever he has the opportunity to take a few days off, wherever he is in the world, Taylor Kitsch gets on the bike and goes. Long solo journeys, "people I meet them along the way, I like to spend some time with people I don't know."

Last summer, for example, he led a week between Switzerland and Italy. "I have traveled all over Europe by motorcycle. I have been to Italy a few times already, in the Alps, in Venice and in the Cinque Terre. And of course, I have made long trips in the United States. I bring my camera with me, I venture along the country or mountain roads and, when I find a beautiful viewpoint, I stop to take some pictures In Yellowstone National Park, I spent a week driving and photographing wild animals. A cathartic experience. It helps me to recharge."

In this period, Kitsch needs to regenerate more than usual, after shooting four films back to back. One of these is City of Crime, in these cinema nights. A story full of adrenaline, a manhunt in an isolated Manhattan (the original title was 21 bridges, how many connections to the mainland was changed).

"When I read the script, I thought it reminded me a lot of the noir films that I grew up with and that I've loved since I was a kid." And, soon, we will see him in the Shadowplay TV series, alongside Michael C. Hall (the protagonist of Dexter). "We shot mostly in Prague even though the story is set in Berlin in 1946, after the end of the Second World War. I play a New York police officer who is there to help regroup the police, but also to find the brother who he has lost contact with. "

You have a reputation for being manic in preparing for roles.

"It amuses me and helps me get into the character. If it were up to me I would give myself a lot more time. Sometimes I can, between preparation, shooting and 'decompression' I dedicated a year of my life to the role of David Koresh in the Waco series ( The leader of the Davidian sect, responsible for the death of 92 people in Texas in 1993, ed.) "

A demanding role. You had to lose nearly 15 kilos?

"Yes, but having had six months of time, I could allow myself to lose them slowly. The real problem was the last 5, because at that point you have no more fat mass, and the muscle that must drop. But it had been much more hard for The Bang Bang Club. where I played an assault photojournalist. I naively thought I could lose 16 pounds in 5 weeks. It was after that experience that I decided to study food science. nutritionist. It is incredible how important the food we eat. Everyone should know more. "

Another disastrous experience, for different reasons, was John Carter: 200 million loss, one of the biggest flops in Hollywood history.

"But I would do it all again! I stayed in touch with several people I met on that set. We still talk too. And then, there are a lot of factors that contribute to the success or failure of a film. Much depends on the moment in which the movie comes and and or the promotion. All things that are out of the control of an actor. I still receive messages from people who say they loved that movie. I learned a lot from that experience. "

You had a particularly unique childhood. How much has your mother made you the person you are today?

"My mother raised me and my two brothers alone. We lived in the middle of nowhere and, after school, we spent time outdoors. We played in the woods and went for a swim in a lake. I consider myself lucky to have grown that way. I learned that if you want to be successful you have to commit yourself especially if you start from scratch. I started working at the age of 13 to bring some money home."

What did you do?

"I delivered newspapers door to door, I cleaned the changing rooms at the lake, things like that. It was formative, I learned to work hard from a very young age and also to use the imagination. You are there to do a job and the mind wanders where it wants. Much better than video games."

It is true that the Austin house where you live you designed?

Exactly. I designed it, just the way I wanted it, and I feel great about it. I wanted it by the lake, precisely because of the wonderful memories of my childhood. It is my paradise. I couldn't bear to live in Los Angeles or New York, I can really detach them from everything. Although, in reality, I spend very little time there. I'm always out on business. Let's be clear, I'm not complaining. I love visiting new places. Now I am planning a trip to South Sudan. I work with two organizations, African Children's Choir and Wild Aid. One day I would like to publish a photo book. And donate the profits to them."

Life plans beyond travel plans?

"I hope to be able to complete a project I have been thinking about for many years. I wrote the script and would like to direct it. And just recently a director contacted me that I love very much offering me a role. We'll see. The beauty of this job is also that you don't know what will happen tomorrow ."

I meant career aside.

"At the moment I'm doing well, I don't want a family or kids right now. My motorcycle is enough. With her I can go anywhere."
Old 01-22-2020, 12:45 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

There’s some stuff to unpack here... I have to go get OM and I’ll come back to comment.