Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

You can tell people you are a SEAL, you can't tell them about anything you do, it's all classified.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
I started reading Lone Survivor on the beach today and I'm already 1/3 of the way through. I love the personal stuff about his upbringing and his family. I was worried that I would only picture Taylor when he talks about Mike, but I don't, I actually see both the real Mike Murphy and Taylor. Oddly though, I don't see Marc Wahlberg at all, only Marcus Luttrell. I didn't know he was a twin, and I didn't know that his family were horse breeders (makes sense now that Mike was asking him questions about horses).

My friend's husband is a Navy Diver. But he's really big, like 6'5" so we all suspected that he was really SEAL and just couldn't tell us. He is very vague about his job. He also was overseas at the time this whole story takes place. Hmmmm lol Are they allowed to announce that they are Navy SEALS? I guess they are or is it only after they are retired?

Marcus talks about going to college but I guess that he never finished since he was a petty officer. It is my understanding that if you have a degree you are atomically moved up in rank. Anyone know for sure?

I kind of gloss over on all the parts specific to the timeline of the war. He goes into a lot of detail and I'm trying to process it all. I sensed that he is a George W Bush fan.

I barely made it through the prologue where he writes about going to see Michael Murphy's mom. I thought I wasn't going to be able to read it but I am flying through it.

I also can't believe how small all the actors are who portrayed these men who were all well over 6 feet tall. I believe he said Danny was 6'9"!!

I don't like the SEAL bootcamp stuff. I keep picturing the opening credits of LONE and also American Sniper. I can't believe that they do that voluntarily! God Bless.
I need to re-read it, I'll have to find my copy. I have no idea where it went. I probably lent it to someone and never got it back. I do remember reading it in a matter of maybe two days, just because I thought if I didn't finish it I wasn't sure I was going to be able to pick it back up because the content is so heavy.

He is pretty vocal about his political leanings, but in the military they're generally pretty supportive of the acting President in general.

I didn't remember that Danny was 6'9...probably why Pete was so hesitant to cast Emile who is like 5'6, at most.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Master Fan

Now I'm about 2/3 done. I was hoping for more of the relationship between the guys etc. That seems to be have been more written in for the screenplay.

I do have a question though. Why didn't they just keep the goat herders with them until they were able to call for help that the mission was compromised, wait for rescue and then set them free?

In the book, Danny died in Marcus's arms. In the movie he bled out on top of the cliff by himself. I wonder why they opted for the later in the movie.

Also in the book they made NO contact until Murph called them on his own cell phone (which they didn't previously use because it would give up their coordinates) after Danny and Axe were already dead. They also said in the book that it wasn't that they weren't getting reception, it was that nobody was answering at the base.

I read the book to get some answers to questions but now I'm just more confused than ever! lol

Last edited by elherts; 08-30-2016 at 03:07 PM
Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I do have a question though. Why didn't they just keep the goat herders with them until they were able to call for help that the mission was compromised, wait for rescue and then set them free?
In the movie, didn't one of them mention that the goats roaming around the mountainside without the herders would draw suspicion from the camp down below? I haven't read the book though, so I might be mistaken.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

My husband said he would have tied the goat herders up. That would have given the guys a good head start before anyone found the herders, or they escaped, or they made it back to town...

I know exactly where our copy is, in a moving box!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:09 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitscherSunk (View Post)
In the movie, didn't one of them mention that the goats roaming around the mountainside without the herders would draw suspicion from the camp down below? I haven't read the book though, so I might be mistaken.
It would have taken the goats a really long time to meander there way down the cliffs. But even tying up the goat herders would have been better then just letting them go. These rules of engagement are really not fair. It's kind of crazy that a Navy SEAL does not have the authority to make that decision on his own. In reality, there were more than 100 goats with the goat herders.

I'm almost done with the book. I should finish it today while I'm soaking in my last rays of sunshine before I go back to work tomorrow. I now want to read all the official documents etc. I want to know why the comms weren't working properly and if anyone questioned their decision to let the goat herders go.

In the book.. Marcus did not see or even know that the rescue helicopter was shot down. He found out afterward. In the movie they made it seem like they were about to rescue him and that it blew up in front of his eyes. I get why they went a little Hollywood there. Also, Gulab did not rescue him from the stream. It was three other guys and he did not meet Gulab until days later when he was assigned as his bodyguard. I wonder what happened to the other men?? All in all though the movie stayed true to the story, just a few changes here and there, some though that I wonder what the motive for changing the real story.

He talks a lot about his twin brother in the book. He said that his twin knew that he was alive the whole time when others believed he was dead. It's that twin telepathy. Apparently they have a tattoo on their backs in which one has the left half and the other the right. Together it makes a seal. I searched but wasn't able to find pictures.

Last edited by elherts; 08-31-2016 at 08:16 AM
Old 09-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I just remember seeing a headline about Marcus's brother, Morgan, that he's studying to become a Neuroscientist and is on the track to receive a doctorate degree.

I think they were worried that they might be stumbled upon by other fighters or other civilians if they stayed where they were with the goats and the herders. I think it was just a lose lose situation. We can sit here and say tie them up, but one of them does point out that they'd probably freeze to death and die anyway. But their hands were kind of tied with the rules of engagement.

I read the book before the movie came out, so it would be interesting to go back and read it again to see what they changed. It's been 3 years since I've read it now.

I would guess either for time or just dramatic effect they had to have Marcus see the helicopter shot down. But it really wasn't necessary.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Ben Foster is engaged to Laura Prepon. That was fast. I remember the hockey game Taylor was at last December in New York, she was there with some other boyfriend. I wonder how long her and Ben have been together, definitely less then a year.

I'm not sure we've seen these before, in fact I know we haven't seen them before because Taylor with kids always gets me. Taylor with Marcus's daughter. I can't love enough how close he is to Marcus and his family. There are more of him at the game that I'll post this week that I came across. Can't believe it's been a year since this event.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks. I think I might've seen those before but didn't know who the people were.

Ben Foster was previously engaged to Robin Wright, who's one of my favorites. I think he's an amazing actor, and Laura seems pretty cool in real life. I hope it works out this time.

Until Marcus, finally, comes out and publicly denounces Trump for ALL the racist and sexist things he's said, I can't respect him and I'd rather not think about Taylor being friends with him. I'm grateful for his military service, and I love the movie, but that's it. Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude to you or combative. I hope you don't take it that way.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on here before, but CBS Films released a teaser for the latest Berg-Wahlberg movie, Patriots Day.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Seeing those pics makes me happy and sad at the same time. I have definitely not seen them. I'm not sure who the lady in the blue pullover sweatshirt is, but the lady with the long brown hair is Melanie, Marcus' wife, and those are their kids. I love that he's soo close with them. I'm sooooooo sad I missed the game!! On a positive note, I've not really been sick since this event. Go me!
This was the bad beard phase as well. Was not on board with that. At all.
He holds her so comfortably, he's not awkward with her. They call him Uncle Taylor.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Oh I forgot that you were going to be going to that and then got sick. I'm sorry, I'll be posting more pictures from it this week, rubbing more salt in the wounds.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're new to me at least, I would have remembered seeing him holding Addie.

I get you on the political issue for sure. I grew up in a conservative home but I'm fairly moderate, I've voted both ways before. I'm having a really hard time getting behind either candidate this election. I know I'm not voting for Trump but I just can't get behind Hillary either. It's sad. But anyway, I just try not to let peoples political leanings bother me, I would dislike a lot of celebrities and members of my own family even if I did.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Master Fan

Is the person in the blue sweatshirt Taylor's publicist, Britney? It looks like her but I think they are not working together anymore. I'm not sure.

If I disliked anyone who supported Trump, I'd lose a few friends and a lot of family. It's mind blowing really, and it makes me question how ANYONE could support him. ... let alone someone I know and consider a friend!
Old 10-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Rub away. I like seeing the pics.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Is the person in the blue sweatshirt Taylor's publicist, Britney? It looks like her but I think they are not working together anymore. I'm not sure.
I'm not sure who the girl in the sweatshirt is. But I think she's friends with Marcus and Melanie, or possibly involved with the Lone Survivor Foundation. Here she is with them again and I'm pretty sure she was with Marcus/Melanie at Taylor's NYE event a few years back too.

You can see Brittney to Taylor's right here. I think you can see her too in some of the Battleship behind the scenes videos. She was with Taylor until about 2013 when he retooled his team. She was or maybe still is Hugh Jackman's publicist and I think that's where Taylor picked her up, when he was working with Hugh on X-Men. I honestly don't even know if Taylor has a publicist any longer. I mean I'm sure he does, but we don't know who he or she is. If he doesn't, I'm available for the job.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Master Fan

They look so much alike. But I think you are right, it is someone associated with the Lutrells... maybe Melanie's sister. They look similar.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread