Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I mean, you would want it to make a profit, otherwise what's the point? I don't know how much the marketing budget was. 10 million maybe? So you would think it has to make around 40 million worldwide to make a profit, then it's all about whether or not you think that you have a built in fan base v. putting putting out a fresh product. I think that, if anything, will be the biggest factor. That they will have this built in fan base with the first movie to put out a sequel.

I think my favorite tweets about this movie have been about AA being the sequel to Battleship...
Old 09-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I think my favorite tweets about this movie have been about AA being the sequel to Battleship...
I didn't see those. haha But the ending did remind me of Battleship.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Hopper went off the rails after his brother died and Sam's dad vetoed their wedding, Hurley plucked him out of the Navy after he saw his burrito video, said that's a kid on a mission.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Hopper went off the rails after his brother died and Sam's dad vetoed their wedding, Hurley plucked him out of the Navy after he saw his burrito video, said that's a kid on a mission.
Hahaha! It could happen...
Old 09-24-2017, 10:43 PM
Addicted Fan

I was sitting here not really paying attention and Extra Weekend came on with a segment on the movie.

I don't really see this geting a sequel. It's not setting the world on fire, so to speak. I can't see it geting even close to $100 million, even with the foreign box office. Plus there are marketing costs overseas too.

I think it's just moviegoing in general. Movies just aren't inspiring enough excitement for people to go to the theater. Plus let's not forget a chunk of the country is still recovering from the disasters Harvey, Irma and Maria.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I know the studio is comparing it to John Wick and John Wick's success and setting off a franchise, but the difference was, by in large I feel like John Wick had better reviews. I mean 85% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to 33%. Even if John Wick performed similarly to AA, there's that room for an audience to grow with positive word of mouth and people discovering the movie later and loving it.

I know Rotten Tomatoes isn't the be all and end all of whether or not you should go see a movie, but 33% is really pretty bad. I don't see this finding an audience outside of Vince Flynn fans and Dylan fans.

I mean even when just comparing it to other Taylor movies, it's one of the lowest reviewed...Battleship came in at 34%, John Carter 51%, Savages 52%...so that says something.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I was really hoping that it would be the next big thing.

Quote:
I know the studio is comparing it to John Wick and John Wick's success and setting off a franchise, but the difference was, by in large I feel like John Wick had better reviews. I mean 85% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to 33%. Even if John Wick performed similarly to AA, there's that room for an audience to grow with positive word of mouth and people discovering the movie later and loving it.

I know Rotten Tomatoes isn't the be all and end all of whether or not you should go see a movie, but 33% is really pretty bad. I don't see this finding an audience outside of Vince Flynn fans and Dylan fans.

I mean even when just comparing it to other Taylor movies, it's one of the lowest reviewed...Battleship came in at 34%, John Carter 51%, Savages 52%...so that says something.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I just caught up on The Affair and then today I see that Sanaa is going to be guest staring on the final season! Yay!
Old 10-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

As it stands today the movie has made 33 million domestically and 17 million in the foreign market so I'd say it's probably in the green at this point if it's north of 50 million after marketing budget. It still has yet to open in some markets overseas.

The American Assassin account wants us to remember it still exists and is in theaters.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I'm glad it's still going!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Addicted Fan

My sister and her husband are going to the movies this weekend, and I want to recommend AA, but I'm torn because I didn't like it. So if she doesn't like it, what am I gonna say? lol I recommended a movie I didn't like?? But her husband likes action movies, and it's basically the only one still out there. Kingsman is more action-comedy.

Does anyone else have the Ovation cable channel? I record a show on there called "Making the Movies" and the last episode had a feature on -- wait for it -- Joost! I got so bummed because I wanted to share it and didn't know how, but apparently it was footage from a CBS video, just intercut and repackaged with scenes from the movie. Apologies if this was posted here before.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Master Fan

$50 million worldwide doesn't seem very good to me. Is it?
Old 10-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I don't think I posted that. Thanks! With the way they were releasing stuff daily it was so hard to keep up.

I keep comparing it to John Wick because that's what the studio seemed to measure it against. But it had a similar production budget and audience. It made 43 million domestically and 88 million world wide. I don't think it'll get there. My best guess is it makes another 7-10 million, maybe...

I mean for Dylan I'd like to see it get a sequel, for Taylor it's pretty much irrelevant.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I mean for Dylan I'd like to see it get a sequel, for Taylor it's pretty much irrelevant.
I wonder when that will be decided.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

He's signed on for three films. I'm sure they probably already have an idea. Or a measuring stick. It's not like it's been some huge hit or sleeper hit, so I don't know. It could go either way. If it makes them even a minimal profit maybe they think it'll gain an audience and do a sequel. I'd feel more positive about it if it were a better movie.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread