Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Friday Night Lights OT Thread #7: Because Texas Forever

The all encompassing Friday Night Lights thread to discuss any and all actors from the show and just the show in general because even though it's been 10-years since it premiered it remains one of the most beloved shows out there. And even we sometimes have to admit the show was about more than just Tim Riggins.

"Inspired by the legendary Buzz Bissinger book Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream, and the 2004 Peter Berg movie based on it, FNL told the story of a high school football coach from Dillon, Texas, whose improbable victories mirrored those of the critically beloved — but disastrously rated — show itself. In an era when sports television was supposedly at its nadir, when elite storytelling was supposedly only the work of prestige outlets like HBO and AMC, Friday Night Lights emerged as the quintessential show about American spirit and uplift at a time when the moral and economic bedrock of our Country seemed most in doubt.

Gone too soon. Appreciated too little. Treasured by those who followed it. That was Friday Night Lights." -Grantland

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Couldn't Lose - An Oral History of Friday Night Lights

Old 01-08-2018, 05:48 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Taylor and Kyle hanging out in TX! This makes me super happy.

Grandma Saracen posting FNL memories.

More Connie from last night.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Connie looks great!

Love those two together!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:53 AM
Addicted Fan

I've counted at least five series that left Netflix in recent months and are now on Hulu. I wish FNL would turn up already!

The Daily Mail is a total garbage website, but in case you're interested, it did an item on Twitter reaction to Connie's shirt.

Connie Britton baffles wearing ‘poverty is sexist’ top | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

The comments responding to Connie's shirt and tweet wearing the shirt are kind of sad. I get maybe not knowing the statistics but I don't think she'd show up wearing something that was an bold face lie. Single mothers are among the most impoverished in America.

I would think FNL has to show up somewhere sooner or later, the amount I see people bitching about not getting their Tim Riggins fix is kind of overwhelming.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:59 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Jason Katims reiterates the FNL movie is dead in the water. Give them another five/ten years and reboot it.

Quote:
The final siren has blown on the long-gestating “Friday Night Lights” movie.

“That we are not doing”, executive producer Jason Katims said this week of a film that would’ve played as a sequel to the 76-episode series starring Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton.

Katims was at the TCA’s for his new series “Rise”, where he asked about the chances of a revival.

In development since 2011, the feature film spin-off of the TV series was the result of a spitball sess by executive producers Peter Berg and Jason Katims, with Katims later starting work on a script.

Some of the cast – namely Chandler and Taylor Kitsch, who played Tim Riggins – publicly poo-pooed the film idea in the first quarter of the game, and ultimately, Berg and Katims followed suite.

“I’ve come to believe it’s probably not a good idea and I seriously doubt it’s gonna happen”, Berg told Collider in 2013.

The libretto, Berg later said, would’ve been inspired by the Mike Leach case, in which the coach was fired from Texas Tech for poor treatment of a player with a concussion. In other words, it would’ve been about Coach Eric Taylor being blamed for something he was innocent of.

“Jason Katims worked pretty hard on it”, Berg said of the script.

While Katims laid the final nail in the coffin of a “FNL” movie, he did hint that a “Parenthood” sequel, of some sort, might be on the way.
Katims : Friday Night Lights movie dead, Parenthood might return – Moviehole
Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It’s not too late for our buddy cop show though!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Master Fan

I know Connie's shirt had a purpose but even I was like, "WTF??" when I first saw it. I had to look up what it meant. I know a lot of people get annoyed when celebs fight for causes they have no connection with. I, however, believe that they have a platform to be heard and any publicity is only going help the people that it does effect. A friend of mine on Facebook actually complained about the whole Me Too, Times Up idea. Celebs are people too, just like us, they just happen to have jobs that put them in the spotlight.

Maybe one day Katims can make that movie but with different actors. That might work.. in like ten years or so.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:56 PM
Addicted Fan

The FNL movie idea sounds totally dead beyond even a glimmer of doubt.

I think Connie's shirt was a little too subtle. Not subtle; I can't think of the word. But basically, not enough people are aware of that campaign.

I think we're all so divisive politically and culturally at this point, she could've worn "I love everybody" on her shirt and people would've gotten mad.

Btw, I missed her on James Corden's show Monday night. Did anyone else watch?

There's a new trailer for Black Panther, and it has more of Michael B. Jordan as the bad guy. He looks like a pretty badass villain!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I saw Black Panther's ticket sales are through the roof already. I'm excited for him, even if it's not my kind of movie. He's going to have a big 2018.

I didn't see Connie on Corden, but here's a clip. Love to see her reunited with Bradley. Makes me want to rewatch West Wing.

She's getting more backlash because the sweater cost $380 dollars for purchase. I know she said a $5,000 gown didn't seem appropriate, and I agree. But it would have been nice to be able to say, it cost nothing it was donated or whatever or it's one of a kind. I understand donations are being made when the sweater is purchased, but the every day person is going to see that $380 price tag and thing, she's out of touch.

I'm not holding out hope for a reboot, I still think that has a better shot than a movie. I will forever hold out hope for a limited series on Netflix.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks for the clip. I didn't know she once taught aerobics! I bet she and Taylor swapped stories about his days as a trainer.

I get what they're saying about the sweater but people will cry "they're out of touch!" about a celebrity, then go stand in line for hours to buy a $1,000 iPhone. lol Plus, $380 for a sweater isn't that bad considering those gowns, jewels and tuxes at awards shows cost tens of thousands of dollars. And it's not like she flaunts wealth all the time.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Oh I know, but anyone will find any reason to jump on her for making a political statement like that. At least she could come back with a good chunk of the proceeds go to charity for the purchase of that sweater.

I think if I was in Hollywood I would just keep my mouth shut. It seems exhausting to have to defend yourself over everything.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Six degrees of Taylor...

Quote:
Starring Michael B. Jordan and Michael Shannon, Fahrenheit 451 is based on Ray Bradbury's classic novel. In a future where the media is an opiate, history is rewritten and "firemen" burn books, Jordan plays Montag, a young fireman who struggles with his role as law enforcer. Battling his mentor, fire captain Beatty, played by Shannon, he forsakes his world in an effort to regain his humanity.
https://www.hbo.com/movies/fahrenheit-451
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Master Fan

Speaking of Shannon. He has not been at any of the awards shows in support of Shape of the Water. I wonder what that's all about.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Maybe he's shooting something and can't get away. Maybe he didn't like the finished product and doesn't want to promote it. It could be family-related too. Or he's under the weather.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread