Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)

A lot of Tim Riggins "texas forever" things really went south for Tim post high school twitter posts.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Addicted Fan

A commercial just played during the SAG Awards on TNT.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitscherSunk (View Post)
A commercial just played during the SAG Awards on TNT.
Yay!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:02 PM
Master Fan

I was out with a group of people watching the game when the Waco commercial came on. I said, "I can't wait for this..." and at least 3 people were like, "Oooo I know, me too." So that's a good sign! I didn't even bring up the whole Taylor Kitsch aspect.

And speaking of the SAG awards. I've had quite enough of ****ing Gary Oldman.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:22 AM
Addicted Fan

I really thought Timothee was going to win. But I thought Gary was lovely when he won. And when you think about it, it's ridiculous that after all his years of incredible performances, he'd never won. The guy is one of the best actors ever. This pretty much seals the Oscar for him, which he's also never won I believe. But Timothee will get his chance. He's talented enough that this won't be the last we'll see of him at awards shows.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Another positive mention of Taylor in Waco, the entire interview is in the TV/Mag Appearances thread.

Quote:
As Koresh, Kitsch unlocks another hidden ability in his growing breadth as an actor, exuding a level of charm and magnetism in Waco that is both mesmerizing and mystifying, only because the man he portrays wasn’t a good man at all. “There aren’t many characters like this that exist. He’s enigmatic and crazy brilliant and crazy, period,” says Kitsch, who calls Austin, Texas home.
Quote:
There were moments during the production of Waco that proved challenging. Kitsch zeroed in on the sermons as being particularly “tough” to memorize and he became obsessed with nailing the improbable task. “I’m more known for saying less is more,” Kitsch says, alluding to his famous FNL character, Riggins, “so to be as talky as Dave… But when you’re mixing in scripture, it’s just so hard to infuse into my brain. I’d be in my house in Santa Fe and I’d have all these white boards all over the house of scriptures and psalms and everything that I had to remember in episode five, six or in a monologue. Everywhere in the house I could see it, I would say it out loud, walk over there, see it and say it out loud.”

Not a full review but a mention from Variety:

Quote:
As the first scripted offering on the new Paramount Network (which replaces Spike TV), “Waco” is a bit more plodding than a drama about an apocalyptic cult should be. That said, the limited series painstakingly lays out the progression of the tragic saga at the bloody Branch Davidian compound. Koresh and his motivations are, in the main, treated quite respectfully, and Taylor Kitsch — who first came to prominence in “Friday Night Lights” and is back in Texas as another charismatic rule-breaker — gives Koresh a sincere and well-modulated intensity. Michael Shannon and Shea Whigham play two FBI agents with very different approaches to standoffs, and Julia Garner, Melissa Benoist and Andrea Riseborough fill out the cast.
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/tv-s...me-1202670246/

Quote:
In a slice of casting I couldn't have seen coming from ten feet away, Taylor Kitsch got as scruffy as he's ever been to portray David Koresh, the charismatic and emotionally imbalanced leader of the Branch Davidians, a religious offshoot largely based out of the Mount Carmel Center in Texas. Kitsch could have easily been a terrible pick here, but he delivers a relatively uncomplicated performance that hits both of the notes that it needs to: it's easy to grasp why people would want to flock to wherever Koresh was speaking, and he's never presented as if he isn't the prophet he says he is. Side note: Kitsch's Koresh sounds a lot like Andrew Lincoln's Rick Grimes on The Walking Dead, and it's surprisingly rewarding to sometimes pretend that show's zombified world is connected to Waco's.
https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...medium=twitter

Last edited by worthyoflove; 01-22-2018 at 04:22 PM
Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That review from The Playlist seemed to be an anomaly, thankfully. Taylor is getting praise, pretty much across the board. I'm not skipping bad reviews...posting them as they come in. Full reviews are at each of the links:

Quote:
At the heart of the story is Koresh, played here by Taylor Kitsch in what might turn out to be one of the premiere performances of any actor on TV this year.
https://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...aco-minis.html

Quote:
Taylor Kitsch only makes Koresh more appealing. Far more handsome than Koresh, Kitsch can also convey how easy it was for Koresh to pour on the honey when he's appealing to new members of his flock.

Whether he's hanging with the guys and playing in a local rock band or preaching to his flock, Kitsch's convincing performance of Koresh is what keeps all eyes on Waco. It's a pity there isn't a way to know more about the man behind what has become such an important part of our culture.
https://www.tvfanatic.com/2018/01/wa...-david-koresh/

Quote:
Taylor Kitsch (“Friday Night Lights”) does a noteworthy job of breathing three dimensions into cult leader David Koresh, portraying him as both seductive and manipulative.

He can be a regular guy who plays with his kids and jams with his band, performing “My Sharona” at a local dive bar.

But he’s also a self-appointed messiah who demands celibacy from every male in his compound while he impregnates their wives with offspring who he believes will sit in judgment during the tribulation foretold in the Book of Revelation. He’s also got a thing about stockpiling military-grade weaponry.
TV Guy: 'Waco' probes characters behind the tragedy - Entertainment & Life - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

Quote:
With that wealth of source material, Waco crafts a sturdy if inelegant study of how it all went so wrong, aided by almost uniformly strong performances that work to sell merely adequate dialogue. Topping the cast is Taylor Kitsch, who makes Koresh into a charming and relatable demagogue, a man who spends 90 percent of his time playing the everyday roles of folksy preacher and devoted friend and family man, only occasionally tipping his hand as to the degree of megalomania and sexual-predator tendencies within. (Recruiting an affable young man played by Rory Culkin, Koresh explains the celibacy rule for the men, saying, “I have taken on the burden of sex for everyone.”) His followers are a mix of zealous and skeptical, some going along with Koresh as much for their belief in the tight-knit community as for his apocalyptic teachings, while others claim to see God working through their Southern-drawl messiah.

But the entire ensemble brings its A-game, a host of character actors and stars bringing to life the Branch Davidians and the government agents convinced of their just cause. Michael Shannon plays Gary Noesner, the negotiator and lone noble man in a nest of vipers at the FBI (perhaps represented as so morally upright because the miniseries is based in part on his book Stalling For Time). Supergirl herself, Melissa Benoist, plays spouse Rachel Koresh with a mix of warmth and steely mettle, demanding others unquestioningly follow the lead even as she doubts her husband’s actions. John Leguizamo is heartbreaking as Robert Rodriguez, the undercover operative sent to keep tabs on the compound and whose warnings go unheeded by his superiors. Shea Whigham, Andrea Riseborough, Paul Sparks, and more all sell the moral ambiguities and human drama of the situation, even when the script reduces their characters to one-note ideological mouthpieces, like Whigham’s gung ho FBI agent who represents the shoot first, negotiate later attitude toward which the entire agency is shifting.
https://www.avclub.com/waco-dramatiz...-li-1822175537
Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I am so glad the response has been mostly positive! I was not happy with that one review AT ALL. But it seems to be that one review. Can't make everyone happy all the time.

I really want to know what Taylor thought of the episode he watched last night. It has to be so weird to watch yourself.

I'm excited for Jimmy tonight!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I'll post this entire review, because it's so good

Quote:
When the U.S. Government Waged War on Its People

The current political climate has seen a shift in popular culture to match it. Films and TV shows are inevitably weighed by how “of the moment” they are, and how well they reflect or address current events. (Sometimes it’s warranted. The Post, for instance, was directly reactionary to the Trump administration’s war on the press.) In light of that natural inclination, it’s unsurprising that the question of how much we can trust our government has become a prominent theme in most contemporary works. And though it’s difficult to say whether or not the 1993 Waco siege warrants revisiting, the Paramount Network’s new six-part miniseries Waco does the best job of examining such a loaded question.

David Koresh (portrayed here by Taylor Kitsch), born Vernon Wayne Howell, led a religious cult known as the Branch Davidians. He saw himself as a prophet, and lived with his followers at the Mount Carmel Center near Waco, Texas. The community came under scrutiny when it was alleged that Koresh had taken multiple underage brides and fathered children by some of them, and when it came to the government’s attention that the compound might be stockpiling illegal weapons. As such, the ATF obtained search and arrest warrants, and began planning a raid.

On February 28, that raid turned into a gun battle, and that gun battle turned into a 51-day siege. It ended on April 19, when, after the FBI launched an assault in an attempt to drive the Branch Davidians out of the compound, Mount Carmel Center burned down. Seventy-six people, including Koresh, were killed.

Much of what happened is the source of controversy, and the responsibility for what occurred before, during, and after the siege has yet to be clearly divided. By necessity, Waco provides a somewhat less blurry timeline of events, but the way it gets across the hubris and miscommunication that ultimately led to such a catastrophe helps to maintain the sense of disorientation that still exists around the Waco siege, a quarter of a century later.

The series, created by brothers John Erick Dowdle and Drew Dowdle, mainly accomplishes this through deploying an even hand, which, given how the siege has been portrayed in the past, makes Koresh and his followers seem unusually sympathetic, and the government a force to be feared—and more to the point, to be doubted. The government agents we see are, by and large, more concerned with public image and personal reputations than the wellbeing of other people. To drive the point home, the series spends two episodes establishing the dynamic within Mount Carmel Center, including the plight of the leaders’ wives (played by Melissa Benoist and Andrea Riseborough), making sure we see the Branch Davidians as people instead of props, before finally digging into the raid.

Most of the credit here has to go to Paul Sparks as Steve Schneider, Koresh’s right-hand man, John Leguizamo as Jacob Vazquez, an undercover agent, and Michael Shannon as Gary Noesner, an FBI hostage negotiator and the hero of the entire piece. The events that are unfolding are so horrible that they could easily detach from reality, but the three performances are so well grounded that they keep the series anchored, offering three different perspectives on the siege. Schneider, who has lived in the compound for years, has an obvious interest in keeping things as they are. Noesner is an outsider brought in to help resolve the case. Vazquez exists in between, as he knows there’s something wrong in the compound, but also feels a certain amount of responsibility for the people inside, who’ve been nothing but kind to him.

As Koresh, Kitsch is nothing if not compelling—at first, it makes sense that people would believe him to be a prophet—but there’s too much evidence stacked up against him for him to come out of this as a hero, and the Dowdles know it. They don’t skirt around the worst parts of his self-delusion, and as the series goes on, Koresh begins to transform from a messiah into a paper man. Though there’s plenty of blame to be placed on the government’s handling of the situation, Koresh isn’t blameless, either.

Each time it seems like the narrative will tip too heavily in favor of one side over another, a new wrench gets thrown into the works. When Koresh threatens to become too sympathetic, we’re reminded of the fact that he was accused of statutory rape. When the ATF or FBI seem too heroic, we’re reminded that they may very well have instigated the shoot-out, and covered up details in order to make themselves seem less incompetent. To that end, Waco becomes one of the most effective “true crime” series in recent memory, as it doesn’t succumb to the pressure of declaring a hero or a villain, nor creating a narrative that’s crystal clear in terms of who was responsible for what. And, as a warning to the weak of heart: Waco also doesn’t cut any corners when the siege actually begins. The gunfire is earsplitting, and each wound and each death is a punch to the gut, to the point that even the thought of the inevitable fire is enough to set the stomach turning.

As the Paramount Network’s first scripted series, the star-studded Waco is an incredibly promising start. While it’s not a story with anything new to say, it’s so well executed that it almost doesn’t matter. And for those unfamiliar with the events of the siege, it provides a balanced look at one of the most horrifying showdowns between the U.S. government and its people.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/when-t...-on-its-people
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
While it’s not a story with anything new to say, it’s so well executed that it almost doesn’t matter.
I keep seeing people say this. I feel like Taylor would be disappointed to hear this opinion. He's been quite vocal about the fact they are telling a side of the story people don't yet know.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

A synopsis of all the episodes:

Quote:
Synopsis of episodes

Episode 1: “Visions and Omens” (Wednesday, January 24 at 10 PM, ET/PT):

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) receives a tip of suspicious activity involving weapons at Mount Carmel, a small religious community led by David Koresh (Taylor Kitsch), located just outside Waco, TX. Public relations pressure sets the wheels in motion for the ATF to begin surveillance of Koresh and his followers, The Branch Davidians.

Episode 2: “The Strangers Across the Street” (Wednesday, January 31 at 10 PM, ET/PT):

ATF Agent Jacob Vasquez (John Leguizamo) goes undercover to infiltrate Mount Carmel and befriends David Koresh (Taylor Kitsch) in hopes of finding illegal weapons or other activity. While the ATF plans a raid on the compound, a local newspaper leaks a damaging story about Koresh, forcing the ATF to accelerate its plans, and the stage is set for a showdown.

Episode 3: “Operation Showtime” (Wednesday, February 7 at 10 PM, ET/PT):

ATF assault vehicles storm the Mount Carmel compound and a two-hour gunfight breaks out, leaving four ATF agents and six Branch Davidians dead and scores more wounded. The standoff begins, and the FBI arrive in Waco to take over from the ATF. FBI chief negotiator Gary Noesner (Michael Shannon) arrives and agrees to broadcast David Koresh's (Taylor Kitsch) message on national television in exchange for Koresh’s promise to come out. Noesner delivers on his promise, but Koresh refuses to come out.

Episode 4: “Of Milk and Men” (Wednesday, February 14 at 10 PM, ET/PT):

Negotiations intensify as the Branch Davidians refuse to surrender. As David Koresh (Taylor Kitsch) waits for a sign from God, the lack of food and medical treatment tests both the Davidians’ faith and law enforcement’s patience.

Episode 5: “Stalling for Time” (Wednesday, February 21 at 10 PM, ET/PT):

For a moment, it seems like the end of the stalemate is nearing when the FBI’s tactical division turns up the heat with psy-ops on David Koresh (Taylor Kitsch) and the Branch Davidians.

Episode 6: “Day 51” (Wednesday, February 28 at 10 PM, ET/PT):

The standoff at the Mount Carmel compound comes to a violent and tragic end.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 01-23-2018 at 10:11 AM
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Hanging with Jason Street’s Mom at the Waco premiere
Old 01-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Some nice words from the Dowdle's about how committed Taylor was to the role.

Quote:
Throughout his acting career, Taylor Kitsch has played all manner of machismo-laden characters in projects like Friday Night Lights, Lone Survivor, True Detective and more. But for Paramount Network's Waco, he took on a completely different portrayal as the notorious sect leader David Koresh, and it's instantly obvious that this was a carefully conceived performance. When CinemaBlend spoke with Waco developers John Erick and Drew Dowdle, they explained to me just how deep into preparation Kitsch got for the role.

According to Drew:

I can't rave enough about Taylor, just as a human being and as an artist. We started talking to him like a year before we shot...and he trained for the role like an athlete would train. I think he lost 30 lbs, he studied scripture, he learned to play guitar, he took vocal lessons. He would call us [and say], 'Oh my God, I just saw the transcript [where] David Koresh has been shot, and what does he do? He goes back in the room and calls his mom.' You know, David Koresh was born Vernon Howell, and he's like, 'I see Vernon in that moment. Please tell me that scene's somewhere in the series.' And we're like, 'You know, actually it wasn't, and we're gonna put it in right now!' But he was that guy who's doing the research.

The very first time future audiences laid eyes on Taylor Kitsch with his Waco appearance, the transformation was an impressive one. I wouldn't have guessed the actor lost as much as 30 lbs, but as David Koresh, Kitsch definitely looks far more fragile and wispy than he did as John Carter. (Which is good, since no one would buy some jacked-up muscle-head as the leader of the Branch Davidians.) And when that weight loss is combined with the glasses and distinct hair, Kitsch is fairly easy to lose in his role while watching Waco.

All the things that Drew Dowdle said Taylor Kitsch learned are on display throughout Waco. We get to watch him quote from scripture, we get to see him play the guitar, and we get to hear him once again adopt a Texas accent on TV. One of the most important aspects of this role is showing viewers that David Koresh wasn't some lunatic zealot who leapt before he looked. For that, Kitsch was able to draw from all manner of references in developing his humanizing performance, including conversations with surviving Branch Davidian member David Thibodeau, whose book A Place Called Waco was half of the miniseries' source material.

All that isn't to say that Taylor Kitsch's cult leader is portrayed as a hero or a protagonist in any way. Waco does aim to show all the angles of the epically mishandled situation at Mount Carmel, but in a way that doesn't glorify or condemn the parties involved, so while Koresh's charismatic side may be on display, so is the fact that he sired children with different wives, some of them of the underage variety. And Drew Dowdle lauded Kitsch for taking on such a stigmatizing part.

You know, it takes an incredible amount of bravery to take on a role like this, where if you don't seem to like the guy, that'll be commented on. And if you're doing a caricature of the guy, that'll get commented on, too. Doing a real person that people remember is a real high-wire act. And it's a complicated character who has a lot of dark stuff. I think his courage, he was like, 'Let's swing for the fences. Let's just see.' I can't rave about him enough. his first day of shooting was the Joy Sermon. He showed up and he was so good and we were like, 'Oh my God, this is gonna be awesome.'

If Taylor Kitsch's performance would be the only visual or audio evidence we have of David Koresh's persona, it'd still be easy to understand why people followed him, especially when his messianic talents are on full display for the sermon. Starting off with such a gigantic moment might have flustered some actors, but according to John Erick and Drew Dowdle, Kitsch was beyond ready for it.

Drew: The first take of the Joy Sermon, that was his first day of shooting, and the first take, you could look around and everyone on the crew and cast was looking at each other like, 'Oh! All right then.' And he put in a ton of effort and time.

John: He said he'd probably run that speech thousands of times. When he was out jogging, and when he was out riding his motorcycle, he was just doing that speech constantly. And it shows. You really feel it.

Drew: It was important for us to capture that. The people who knew him: how did they feel about him? How did they view him, and what was their experience of him versus what was our experience of him on the news and what we were told. We really wanted to try and differentiate the two.

Everyone can watch and see just how solid Taylor Kitsch's performance is when Waco premieres on Paramount Network on Wednesday, January 24, at 10:00 p.m. ET. To see when other new and returning shows will hit primetime, hit up our midseason premiere schedule.
https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...koresh-in-waco

I'm trying to keep up with the reviews as they come in. Even the ones that aren't completely enamored or are kind of 'meh' about the series still praise the acting.

Quote:
But it doesn’t go nearly as far as it could’ve, given what a quietly charismatic star it has in Taylor Kitsch as David Koresh, and how immediately human all of his followers seem.
Waco Review

Quote:
Koresh and his motivations are, in the main, treated quite respectfully. Early on, the Branch Davidian leader — a rock musician as well as a preacher — is shown taking a young drummer under his wing, and he seems like a helpful mentor to that young man, as well as a doting father to the many children at his Texas compound. Taylor Kitsch — who first came to prominence in “Friday Night Lights” and is back in Texas as another charismatic rule-breaker — gives Koresh a sincere and well-modulated intensity.
TV Review: Taylor Kitsch in ‘Waco’ on Paramount Network – Variety
Old 01-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Glowing review from the New York Times:

Quote:
But the key choice here was the casting of Mr. Kitsch, the “Friday Night Lights” star who radiates sincerity and has an overflowing charisma that the real-life Koresh is said to have lacked. From the first shot of Koresh, staring soulfully through his aviator frames at an incoming government helicopter, he registers not as a manipulative crackpot but as a true believer who got in over his head.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/a...?partner=IFTTT
Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Yay!