Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

David Koresh [WACO] Thread #5: Because Waco Is Finally Here!

Welcome to 'WACO' Thread #3

Teaser Trailer

Taylor Kitsch - David Koresh
Melissa Benoist - Rachel Koresh
Michael Shannon - Gary Noesner
Rory Culkin - David Thibodeau
John Leguizamo - Robert Rodriguez
Andrea Riseborough - Judy Schneider
Paul Sparks - Steve Schneider
Julia Garner - Michelle Jones
Demore Barnes - Wayne Martin
Cameron Manheim - Balenda Thibodeau

Old 01-16-2018, 07:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

From the previous thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
Adding more pictures from today in the picture thread.

Quote:
I assume we'll get a full interview with these two about Waco in the future but right now we can watch Taylor sink into a corner while Melissa is asked about the Supergirl producer being fired amid sexual harassment allegations.

A few new stills and a little blurb from the New York Times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
Oh crap. Counseling. I hate to think that he gets that messed up.
Quote:
I think he came right out and said he had counseling after Bang Bang Club because the weight loss really did things to his mental state and I'm sure the subject matter. He was having night terrors and health problems but also being in the headspace of someone who is suicidal can't be easy. I would assume he probably maybe does counseling after heavy roles.

Maybe his panic attack over this role had something to do with how he dealt with Bang Bang Club and coming out of that. It's a big responsibility to take something like this on.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Counseling. I think this is proof he over preps!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

This isn't the most encouraging, well, it is. Because they admit they were setting Waco to a higher standard. And they talk about how good the acting is, just that the story is mundane...which, I don't know about that, but we'll see.

On the plus side, Taylor is on with Fallon next Tuesday! Also it seems like there will be a red carpet event in New York as well, the actress that posted the picture with Taylor at the wrap party made mention in a comment on Melissa's IG photo that she was excited to see them in New York next week.

Quote:
Ratings do not matter for Waco because its existence isn’t about ratings. It’s about sending a message to the world that Paramount Network, the new station from Viacom launching this Thursday, is here to play.

With the casting of such heavy players as Michael Shanon, Taylor Kitsch, John Leguizamo and Shea Whigham, the network is making it clear that the checkbook is out and full of blanks waiting to be filled.

If nothing else, the show should entice various players to give the network a chance heading into the new year.

If Waco were being judged as the latest mini-series attempt by Spike, it would be considered a decent step in the right direction that ultimately suffers from feeling more like a history lesson than a drama.

Unfortunately, it needed to be much more than that.

As it is the first scripted series to come out of the newly launched Paramount Network, it has to be something truly special. It has to something unique. It has to be something people are going to spend weeks talking about.

Is that a fair light to paint a new series in? Probably not. But it’s the cross Waco must bare.

This is the first original series from a brand new network that is going to set the tone for that network for months, potentially years to come.

In the end, all it really does is say “Paramount Network will spend big money for name talent regardless of the project.”

The show is of quality, but it’s a slow burn with nothing new to add to the conversation surrounding those newsworthy days in 1993.

Waco has a ton of talent that is bringing their A-game to the table in every scene. No one can be said they didn’t try to be the best they could be. Sadly, bringing your A-game doesn't matter much when nothing worthwhile happens in your show after the opening title card fades away.

The Paramount Network needs something flashy and bold to ring in its launch, and Waco isn’t it. The show should have been used as an addition to something bold, not as a starting move.

For those completely unfamiliar with the events of the Waco Siege that don’t want to bother with the numerous documentaries about it available to stream, the show is worth a watch. For everyone else, unless watching great actors perform generic work is your thing, it’s one that can ultimately be passed.

Waco premieres Wednesday, January 24th at 10/9c on Paramount Network
https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrill.../#7fb8e66b4d21
Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
This isn't the most encouraging, well, it is. Because they admit they were setting Waco to a higher standard. And they talk about how good the acting is, just that the story is mundane...which, I don't know about that, but we'll see.

On the plus side, Taylor is on with Fallon next Tuesday! Also it seems like there will be a red carpet event in New York as well, the actress that posted the picture with Taylor at the wrap party made mention in a comment on Melissa's IG photo that she was excited to see them in New York next week.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrill.../#7fb8e66b4d21
Everyone else says it’s so good and they are super excited.
Great actors doing generic work is kind of a back handed compliment.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It sounds like he's putting down the subject matter and "story" more than anything. They also have only seen the first three episodes.

But yeah, everyone else seems really excited about it. We'll see, regardless as long as Taylor's performance is strong, that's the most important thing.

I think there's a red carpet event on Monday, according to one of the actresses on the show.

Taylor, Paul Sparks, David, Gary and the Dowdle brothers will be doing a Build series next Monday as well.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 01-17-2018 at 01:54 PM
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Taylor loves the story. AND he’s been quite proud of the fact that they present a side perspective not yet told.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM
Addicted Fan

It sounds like the reviewer thought it was well acted but the episodes overall were just kind of boring. I'm sure people looking forward to it won't be swayed in the least, and the curious will at least give the first episode a try and decide for themselves.

I saw my first commercial for it that wasn't on Spike: It ran during Erin Burnett's show on CNN tonight. It must've been around 6 or 7. I was passing by the TV here at work and seeing Taylor stopped me in my tracks! Even with him looking pale and skinny with Garth hair and glasses, my eyeballs can't help but get excited.

It was also all over the IMDb main page last night too.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 AM
Addicted Fan

I don't know if this has been posted yet. It's an audio report on the real event, as told by one of the reporters who covered it. It's about 38 minutes.

Quote:
Reporter Lee Hancock, who covered the siege of the Branch Davidian compound, shares how the press’s view of what happened at the compound changed as the confrontation wore on — and in the years that followed.
http://backstoryradio.org/shows/schism/

Disclaimers: I'm not familiar with this site or podcast, I just happened to spot it online. And it says it's partly funded by "an anonymous donor," which is a red flag.

But it does say this episode is sponsored by the Paramount Network. I'm only about half through and there's an ad for the miniseries.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Thanks for that, I'll have to try and listen to it this afternoon.

Opening scene:

Quote:
Powerful performances add compelling layers to 'Waco'

Tonight, Spike officially becomes the Paramount Network.

And the new network has found the perfect project to be its first original scripted show - "Waco," a six-part series based on the true story of the 1993 standoff between the FBI, ATF and the religious sect The Branch Davidians. Even though we already know the tragic ending that is coming, "Waco" still manages to keep us in suspense by presenting not only the conflict between the religious group and the authorities, but also the conflicts going on within each side.

Based on books by a Branch Davidian survivor and an FBI negotiator, "Waco" introduces us to David Koresh (Taylor Kitsch), the leader of The Branch Davidians. Koresh believes he is the Lamb of God as detailed in the Book of Revelation and has taken several wives in order to father those he believes will be part of the judgement also referred to in the book. His true wife, Rachel (Melissa Benoist), follows his teachings implicitly, even allowing her 14-year-old sister Michelle (Julia Garner) to become one of his wives. Steve Schneider (Paul Sparks) is Koresh's righthand man, even though he has doubts after his wife, Judy (Andrea Riseborough), also becomes one of Koresh's wives.

Meanwhile, the ATF is looking for redemption after a botched standoff at Ruby Ridge, Idaho. So when ATF agents get a tip that a large amount of firearms is being transported to the Branch Davidian compound, and that children there are being physically abused, they see an opportunity to put the bureau in a positive light - even hiring a public relations person to help them capture images of ATF agents bringing the children and the guns out of the compound.

But as we remember, the ATF's strategy doesn't go as planned. And the ATF's PR opportunity turns into a 51-day standoff nightmare.

When I reached the end of the three episodes of "Waco" Paramount provided, I was disappointed because I really wanted to know what happened next - even though I already do. That's how well the show delves into the human stories behind the standoff. The characters are so well drawn you can't help but feel sorry at times for Koresh and his followers and feel anger toward the ATF and FBI, who are not cast in a very positive light by the series.

Kitsch is outstanding as he plays Koresh with considerable magnetism and charisma, making it easy to understand how the real-life Koresh could have recruited so many followers. Benoist is also excellent, taking a character most of us could never relate to and actually making her relatable. And Rory Culkin is solid as David Thibodeau, a young man Koresh recruits at the club where Koresh and his band play music.

I genuinely can't tell you whether "Waco" is completely the truth, but I can truthfully tell you it's exactly the kind of compelling television needed to launch a new network. I look forward to seeing what Paramount comes up with next.

"Waco" premieres at 10 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 24, on the Paramount Network.
Angela Henderson-Bentley: Powerful performances add compelling layers to 'Waco' | Features/Entertainment | herald-dispatch.com

Last edited by worthyoflove; 01-18-2018 at 11:02 AM
Old 01-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It'll be interesting to see how these reviews come through and if personal opinion on the matter is going to sway the opinion on Taylor and his performance...they seem to be kind of all over the place. One calling Taylor outstanding while another calling him the weak link and not understanding anything about David and how people could follow him.

Quote:
As I stated above, “Waco” is at its worst when it delves into the private lives of its characters, including both the Branch Davidians and the federal agents. David Koresh is portrayed here by Taylor Kitsch, the series’ glaringest weak-link. And look, no one is rooting for Kitsch harder than I am (Texas forever, after all), but this right here is just some bad casting. Somehow Kitsch is unable to sell the precise kind of charisma a cult leader like Koresh must exude at all times. He never comes across as a true leader, and has no chemistry with his supporting cast — including his first wife and primary confidant, Rachel (Melissa Benoist).

Last edited by worthyoflove; 01-18-2018 at 02:12 PM
Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM
Master Fan

That one review is so bad. Are there a lot like it?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I've posted all the reviews that are out so far. So, no, that's the only one like that.

Quote:
Taylor Kitsch describes what it was like to play David Koresh in ‘Waco’

It took Taylor Kitsch time to wrap his head around how to play David Koresh in “Waco,” the Paramount Network’s new six-part series about the siege of the Branch Davidian compound in 1993 that ended in fire and death.

The actor says he found there was much about the high school dropout turned leader of the Branch Davidian religious sect (or cult, depending on your point of view) hard to fathom. When Kitsch first told people he would be playing the role, he said he would hear things like, “That guy was crazy.”

“I knew I wasn’t going ‘crazy’ to play the role,” says Kitsch, who comes off as a pretty relaxed guy. “But you can’t just mimic him. I think the biggest thing was to go into it with the cleanest slate possible so you could get to his beliefs.”

John Erick Dowdle and Drew Dowdle. the executive producers of the series, say in casting someone to play Koresh they needed somebody who was likable, fun and warm to be around but who could then play the dark sides of his personality.

“Koresh was very different than Charles Manson or Jim Jones,” explains Drew. “People saw him as your cool older brother.”

For the role, Kitsch lost 30 pounds, studied guitar, learned to sing and studied Scripture. The Dowdles gave him audio and video of Koresh, of which there is plenty.

If you compare it to the tapes, you see that Kitsch nails the character. “His voice was so distinct. It’s in its way lighter than mine. So learning to sing helped me get to talk like him, and he could talk for hours about Scripture.”

Still, the key was trying to figure out how to humanize Koresh. As a child, Koresh was a victim of abuse, but that hardly explains everything about him. As Kitsch points out, Koresh had memorized the Bible by the age of 16 and would go on to publicly debate serious religious scholars. His speaking abilities attracted devoted followers who believed him to be a messiah. The Branch Davidians believed that end times were near.

Koresh told followers that a revelation instructed him to take multiple wives, so that he could father enough children to sit on the 24 heavenly thrones described in the Book of Revelation.

“You know, it’s difficult to write a character who tells everyone that they have to be celibate – but he’s going to be sleeping with their wives – and not make it sound ludicrous,” says John.

That wasn’t all. The sect leader reportedly chose multiple “wives” for himself from children as young as 11. There were also charges that Koresh physically abused children as a form of punishment.
The entire article is at the source
Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

There are new videos for a lot of the Waco characters and Taylor is featured in pretty much all of them, most heavily in his and Melissa's.

You can watch all the videos here: http://www.paramountnetwork.com/shows/waco

Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That hair. I.can’t. I really just can’t.