Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Christopher MacKenzie [Only The Brave] Thread #5 Because It's Finally In Theaters!

Welcome to the [Granite Mountain Hotshots] Thread #4

Scheduled release: October 20, 2017

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Quote:
Jeff Bridges, Taylor Kitsch Join Josh Brolin-Miles Teller Firefighter Film (EXCLUSIVE)

Jeff Bridges and Taylor Kitsch have rounded out the ensemble cast for Black Label Media’s untitled firefighter film that currently stars Josh Brolin, Miles Teller and James Badge Dale.

Black Label will also continue its strong partnership with Lionsgate, which now has worldwide distribution rights, including North America, through its Summit Entertainment label. This news comes on the heels of the project’s strong international sales at the Cannes Film Festival.

Lionsgate seemed like the obvious home for the project given Black Label’s strong ties to the studio following the success of “Sicario” and the upcoming Ryan Gosling-Emma Stone musical “La La Land.”

“Tron: Legacy” helmer Joseph Kosinski will direct the film, which follows the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a group of firefighters that faced one of the deadliest wildfires in history in order to save an Arizona town, resulting in the tragic death of 19 crew members. Kitsch and Bridges will play firefighters in the pic.

Ken Nolan developed the story on spec with the producers.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Erik Howsam, Conde Nast Entertainment’s Jeremy Steckler and Dawn Ostroff, Mike Menchel, Black Label Media’s Molly Smith, Trent Luckinbill and Thad Luckinbill are producing the film. Black Label is financing.

Di Bonaventura also has “Deep Water Horizon” on the pipeline with Lionsgate.

Kitsch most recently appeared in HBO’s second season of “True Detective” opposite Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams. He is about to make his directorial debut with “Pieces,” which he will also star in. He’s also attached to topline “The Death and Life of John F. Donovan” with Jessica Chastain.

He is repped by CAA and Untitled Entertainment.

Bridges is coming off strong reviews following the premiere of his heist film “Hell or High Water” at Cannes. He is repped by CAA and MGMT Entertainment.

Black Label Media’s Molly Smith, Thad Luckinbill and Trent Luckinbill have several other high-profile projects in production/pre-production, including writer/director Danny Strong’s “Rebel in the Rye,” starring Nicholas Hoult and Kevin Spacey. They recently signed a first look, two-year deal with ABC Signature and ABC Studios.
Jeff Bridges, Taylor Kitsch Join Firefighter Movie | Variety

Quote:
Jeff Bridges & Taylor Kitsch Answer Call For Brolin-Teller Firefighter Pic

Jeff Bridges and Taylor Kitsch joined the cast of the untitled firefighter pic financed by Black Label Media that already has Josh Brolin, Miles Teller and James Badge Dale attached. The film tells the story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a group of firefighters who in 2013 lost 19 members while battling the Yarnell Hill Fire. Joseph Kosinski (Tron: Legacy) is set to direct, and Ken Nolan developed the story. It’s produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Erik Howsam, Jeremy Steckler of Conde Nast Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, Mike Menchel, Black Label Media’s Molly Smith, Trent Luckinbill and Thad Luckinbill. Lionsgate will be distributing the film worldwide through its Summit Entertainment banner.
Black Label’s Firefighter Biopic Adds Jeff Bridges & Taylor Kitsch | Deadline

The screenplay is based on this article: The Granite Mountain Hotshots Yarnell Fire Investigation | No Exit | GQ.com

CAST

Jeff Bridges...Duane Steinbrink
Josh Brolin...Eric Marsh
Taylor Kitsch...Christopher MacKenzie
Miles Teller...Brendan McDonough
Jennifer Connelly...Amanda Marsh

Andie MacDowell...Marvel Steinbrink

Old 10-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Last few posts...

Quote:
Taylor was Tim-like for sure in some spots. Did you hear Taylor's giggle in one scene? The camera wasn't on him but you could hear him. It might've been the hospital scene. Or maybe later in the baby scene after the other guys come over?

I was trying to think of scenes they could've cut to shorten the movie. You're right, there is a lot of Eric and Amanda. Initially I thought Amanda's truck crash was possibly just to explain Jen's real-life injury, because both the crash and their argument afterward really didn't add much. But I realized the movie had to establish the tensions between Eric and Amanda before their big blow-up so it would feel like a natural progression.

Then I thought they could've cut the bar scene altogether. But they needed the bar scene for the one outside where Donut says he wants to leave -- which in turn sets up a lot of what we saw afterward.

So that just leaves the pranks. They could've cut the snakebite/hospital stuff completely and had Mac mention he met a nurse. But I'm the wrong person to say that I guess because you guys and most everyone else loved the Mac-Donut bromance.

I thought Josh's performance was very good. But it's so subtle I don't know if it's the type of performance that people nominate. Sort of why it took Jeff so many years before he finally won an Oscar. Jeff would've played Eric about 10 years ago.

Again, I'm of course the wrong one to ask about this one, but I can't really see Taylor getting a nomination for this. Josh and Jen are the only actors I could see having a chance at getting nominated. Plus possibly the film and some technical awards.

You're right, maybe they stayed away from the men whose families didn't want to be involved. Good point.
Quote:
I wonder if there were some guys they just couldn't focus on. Like if they didn't have the blessing from the family they stayed away from them or limited their involvement. Like, I would have thought that Ashcraft's story would have been focused on more. I mean we thought Taylor was playing him for awhile because his story was one of the more well known stories. But his wife, I believe, has come out to not denounce the movie but make sure it's known that it's based on the events in their life and not completely true.

I was hoping that we'd get a little more of Mac's back story but I was happy with what we did get. Taylor's getting a lot of praise so that's all I can ask for. One of the things I remember reading up on about Chris was that he had a dog that he loved. That she was his companion and they'd run together. That would have been sweet to show. But I did really really like him. I liked their description that MacKenzie really was the "gatekeeper" of the Granite Mountain Hotshots and it seemed pretty typical military/guy hazing stuff going on. The jump from Donut inviting Mac to live with him and them suddenly being besties was a bit abrupt but I thought it worked with the humor.

I think I remember hearing that the snakebite thing might not have actually happened, but I that maybe Donut was in the hospital with the flu? I don't know if this is hearsay or correct but it doesn't seem completely far fetched that Mac would be there with him. The nurse thing, who knows if that was real or not. Maybe I should read Brendan's book, maybe it's included in there. It seems contrived but their whole relationship seems contrived. I guess that's the problem with making a true story, how to effectively tell a story that might seem cliche even if it is real.
Quote:
I was confused at some of the fire scenes too, but I wouldn't have wanted any more. I think they could have shaved 10 minutes out of Jennifer/Josh's scenes... or at least 5 and 5 from somewhere else. I loved all the camaraderie scenes though, especially every scene Mac was in. I loved him. He reminded me of Tim Riggins and I could tell Taylor ad-libbed a lot. I loved his arch. Tim Riggins will always be my favorite, but Mac is up there with Paul Lewis and Bruce Niles for me. I also thought it was going to be Titanic-like but I'm glad that it wasn't. I don't think I could have handled the stress of having it dragged out. I didn't like the ending scene in the middle school, so maybe something else should have been done there. I would have like to have gotten to know some of the others as well, somehow, without making the movie longer. I haven't been able to come up with a word to describe how I felt about some of the scenes, but contrived is a good word. Sometimes it felt like a made for tv movie. But I didn't think that about any of Taylor's scenes. I think he brought such charisma and nailed all of his scenes and lines. But other parts, especially Jennifer, and a lot of Miles felt contrived to me. I thought Josh was tremendous and award caliber. I was surprised to hear that others were thinking Best Picture and maybe even a nom. for Taylor. But I was excited to hear that.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSweetieTX (View Post)
Last few posts...
I saw the movie twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree about the abrupt transition with Donut and Mac’s friendship. I liked the bar scene because it again showed the bond the guys had with one another. I do wish we could have seen more backstory on Mac and the other guys, but overall it was well done.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

OTB made 620K Monday. I really do think this might have the word of mouth/staying power to keep it hanging around in the top 10 for some time .

I mentioned this in the other thread but I'll repeat it here again...January 9th is the DVD release. I thought that seemed really soon, but American Assassin is due out a month earlier in December so I guess it seems about right.

I was trying to pick through scenes that maybe could have been eliminated to cut the run time but I felt like most, if not all were needed to move the story along/give us insight into where the character was at and what was coming. I guess, regardless of how choppy or time jumpy it was I understood why every scene was done. I'm not sure they could have cut the hospital scene because maybe we needed that last bonding moment between Mac/Donut to let us know that they were super close, close enough that Mac would sleep by his hospital bedside. But also I wondered if that was the excuse they used in the movie that Jesse made Donut the lookout, they make a point to have Jesse say, "how's that leg, think you can handle lookout" like maybe he was still kind of hurting and there was a reason they made him lookout.

Some reviewers have made a point that maybe this would have been better as a mini-series and do something like Orange is the New Black where yes there's a main character but each episode you'll branch out to meet one of the group.

That being said, again, I have a hard time finding any mention of Taylor that isn't positive. I was checking out some reviews today on youtube, this guy super enthusiastic about Taylor, calls him one of the best parts of the movie. Which, I agree, without that comedic element I think this movie loses some of its heart/lighter moments.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 10-24-2017 at 01:16 PM
Old 10-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I forgot to mention that the second time I saw it, I saw it in a theater with the Dolby sound as opposed to the first time when I saw it in a theater that did not have it and I thoroughly enjoyed it in Dolby. I thought it was much much better with that sound.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Master Fan

When I go on Thursday night, I am literally going to take notes. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I was trying to pick through scenes that maybe could have been eliminated to cut the run time but I felt like most, if not all were needed to move the story along/give us insight into where the character was at and what was coming.

Some reviewers have made a point that maybe this would have been better as a mini-series and do something like Orange is the New Black where yes there's a main character but each episode you'll branch out to meet one of the group.

That being said, again, I have a hard time finding any mention of Taylor that isn't positive. I was checking out some reviews today on youtube, this guy super enthusiastic about Taylor, calls him one of the best parts of the movie. Which, I agree, without that comedic element I think this movie loses some of its heart/lighter moments.
A mini-series would have been awesome.

I LOVE this review. He really nailed it. He hits all my main points.

I love how he called him a "generic-ass actor," who has really proven himself. I totally agree. The first time I saw Taylor was in the trailer for John Carter and I thought he was so pretty, so perfect. I remember thinking, "What a typical Hollywood hotty."

I love that he says Taylor was one of the best parts about the movie.

He praises Josh's performance.

He loves the cinematography, which I did too. I can't wait to see it in IMAX.

He brings up developing some of the other HotShots and shaving off ten minutes of the movie.

He thought some parts were emotionally forced. I like that term. I also say contrived and my favorite word.. cliche. Tonight in my writing class we listed figurative language that has become cliche. One of the kids said, "Show me the money!" lol

Pacing issues.

No big praise for Jennifer.

But he did praise Miles, who I thought was just okay.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

A podcast that calls Taylor the shining star of the movie, they talk about him at 44 minutes:

Episode XXV - Only the Brave — Popcorn Optional

Taylor and Josh at the Washington game the other weekend:

Old 10-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

A new still.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
A new still.

Ha! Waiting for Donut!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Mac...waiting for his shoes.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 10-25-2017 at 03:50 PM
Old 10-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Master Fan

Sigh. He looks so hot there.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:13 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

"You owe me 100 bucks."

How can you have come to love the mustache, A? That's blasphemous.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Addicted Fan

I loved the waiting for Donut scene. I agree, Taylor's stance is sexy there. My eyes were always on him.

By the way, I forgot to mention I also liked James Badge Dale. Even in the background, he was still a nice presence. Nice? Dumb word. Maybe compelling? Charming? I don't know, I'm blanking on the word I'd use. His mere presence added more to the scenes. ... Oh never mind. lol It'll come to me.

I also thought Miles' acting could've been better, especially in the scene when he's listening on the radio. He was great in the sweet moments, though. I want to see his new movie, Thank You for Your Service. I might go to an early Thursday showing.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

The mustache love is just in direct correlation to how much I liked Mac. I mean not in the beginning, but then again I get why he was the way he was. They're in an incredibly high intensity job that is no bull ****. Someone who is/was a junky would most likely be a liability. Making him prove his worth seems like the "gatekeeper" thing to do.

I really liked James Badge Dale too. I thought he was sweet and a good ying to Eric's yang if you will. He's good with saying a lot with just his facial expressions. I've honestly never seen him in anything before.

See I thought he killed it in that scene while he was listening on the radio, just watching him listen made me cry. I think that's when I started crying actually.

I listen to this podcast weekly anyway, but bonus they did an OTB episode. They're the same guys that did that five part FNL podcast last summer. One thinks it'll get a best picture nomination and were trying to figure out if they would do something strange and try to slide Josh Brolin into a supporting nomination to give him a better chance.

Hello, Mac.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 10-26-2017 at 12:27 PM
Old 10-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Master Fan

I went to see it again tonight, BUT not in IMAX. I was so pissed. They are showing Jigsaw now. I didn't even think that it would change out on Thursday night. UGH.

I taped two scenes. lol I've watched them each like 10xs already.

And... I took notes on my phone. I made sure to sit at the top so I didn't bother anyone. There was a couple down in front, front row, who talked the ENTIRE time, until they left BEFORE the Yarnell Fire scenes. What a-holes. People were getting so mad. *BTW- Thank You for your Service was sold out for the 7pm show.

I loved it as much as I did the first time, if not more.

STILL didn't like Jennifer. I tried y'all, I really did! Nope. Contrived, cliche, forced. I know pretty much no one, including Taylor, agrees with me, but I have to stick with my opinion. The one scene that I did like of hers, is the fight scene in the truck and that will be the scene that gets her a nom. maybe.

I didn't connect the first time I saw the movie, that one of the first scenes of dialogue between Amanda and Eric is them talking about a fight they'd had the night before. But they are both so cutsie wootsie about it. There were a few hints that she was unhappy and then after the truck accident she just unprovokingly and uncharacteristically FREAKS out on him. I did sympathize with her wanting to have children after it was already determined that they would not. I had a very similar experience.

I still didn't like the bear on fire analogy. I mean, I get it, I just didn't like it because I couldn't stop picturing an actual bear on fire.

At the beginning, a helicopter takes water up from someone's pool. Do they really do that?

Originally, I didn't like Mac's introduction, telling the story about Cheyenne. But this time, I loved it. Taylor's delivery was so funny... the whole bit about Mt. Rushmore. The look on his face was hysterical. He was just so funny in this movie. I actually see now why people are actually throwing his name in the ring for a nom. ... probably a stretch, but he really was THAT good. There was only once or twice when he said a word that made me think TAYLOR or RIGGINS. He really just became MAC. His voice and cadence were different, even the shape of his face from the mustache. All of it was awesome.

I kept forgetting to bring this up from the first time I saw it. Mac dipping and spitting. WHY did I find it so hot? I would NEVER date a guy that dips now. I did in high school and I thought it was gross then. My father still does it and I hate it so much.

Andrew Ashcraft and Walter P Sherman's dad (I'm not sure who he portrayed) were in a bit more scenes than I remembered from the first time. They were developed as second tier characters, but they were much more noticeable the second time around. Other than them, the others were not developed at all. I wonder how their families felt about that. But I guess with 19, it was nearly impossible to do, even in a mini-series. Although I don't understand why the one guy pulled his pants down on the bus when they were rocking out to the metal music. I mean.. mooning a passing van maybe, but randomly pulling your pants down was weird.

I'm still only giving Miles's performance a C. And generally, I like him. Some of his scenes were so under acted and awkward. I DID however love the walkie-talkie scene -he was trembling, and this time around I was okay with the seat punching on the bus. The first time, I thought it was lame. I also loved the scene when he drops off the diapers and Natalie comes out with the baby for the first time. That was pretty emotional. There's one other funny scene that I enjoyed Miles in... but I will talk about that later. It fits better in a different talking point. lol

I don't really know much about wildfires. Was the scene of the families fleeing their homes realistic? I guess that it was. That's frightening, those flames were licking at their heels. I was surprised by some of the facts I've heard in interviews, about how fast the fire actually moves. I didn't realize that it moved that quickly.

Do we think that Taylor's shoe size is actually a 10? That's not THAT big.

I hated the Hot Shot certification guy. He was a douche. But I guess he was supposed to be!

Why did Dwayne give Eric a rocking chair when they became Hot Shots? Did I miss something about that?

Okay... I have TONS more to say but I have to go to bed. Can't keep my eyes open.

Last edited by elherts; 10-26-2017 at 09:13 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread