Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Real Steel Thread #1

Here's the thread for the movie which we can talk more about and post set pics, interviews, etc when we get them. Evi's character hasn't been named yet, but it looks like she's playing a friend of Hugh Jackman's character.

"Real Steel" is based off a story story by Richard Matheson and an old Twilight Zone episode. The story is about an ex-boxer who becomes a promoter for robot boxing, which has replaced human boxing, and trying to connect with a son he never knew he had.

The film also stars Hugh Jackman, Dakota Goyo, Kevin Durand (played Keamy on LOST), Anthony Mackie (was also in "The Hurt Locker"), Hope Davis, James Rebhorn and Olga Fonda.

Filming is starting next week and should go till September. The film will be out in 2011.
Amanda's Twitter
Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for starting this thread! I can't wait to hear more info about the movie!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

here is more information
Quote:
It sounds like the movie "Real Steel" is based on a short-story entitled "Steel" written by Richard Matheson. The adaptation of Matheson's short-story appeared as a 5th Season episode "Steel" in the original "Twilight Zone" television series that first aired 04 October 1963.

The premise of the short-story is that Battling Maxo breaks down before the scheduled bout. His manager, "Steel Kelly", a retired heavyweight boxer, desperate for the money to repair him, disguises himself as a robot and fights "Maynard Flash", a new robot boxer. He gets beat up, but the money he receives is enough to repair Battling Maxo.

Lee Marvin played the retired heavyweight boxer turned manager "Steel Kelly", Tipp Mclure portrayed the dilapidated robot boxer "Battling Maxo" Chuck Hicks as a newer robot boxer rival "Maynard Flash".

Rod Serling, who was the late writer/creator/executive producer of the Twilight Zone, narrated the opener for this classic episode with:

"Sports item, circa 1974: Battling Maxo, B2, heavyweight, accompanied by his manager and handler, arrives in Maynard, Kansas, for a scheduled six-round bout. Battling Maxo is a robot, or, to be exact, an android, definition: 'an automation resembling a human being.' Only these automations have been permitted in the ring since prizefighting was legally abolished in 1968. This is the story of that scheduled six-round bout, more specifically the story of two men shortly to face that remorseless truth: that no law can be passed which will abolish cruelty or desperate need-nor, for that matter, blind animal courage. Location for the facing of said truth a small, smoke-filled arena just this side of the Twilight Zone."

and ends with the following epilogue:

"Portrait of a losing side, proof positive that you can't outpunch machinery. Proof also of something else: that no matter what the future brings, man's capacity to rise to the occasion will remain unaltered. His potential for tenacity and optimism continues, as always, to outfight and outlive any and all changes made by his society, for which three cheers and a unanimous decision rendered from the Twilight Zone."

It worked well for its time as a 30-minute episode for a weekly anthology television series exploring not only the science-fiction aspects but those of the human condition. If this short-story is being rendered in a 90-120 minute motion picture targeting a audience ranging from 18-45 years, it will definitely need to emphasize an interest through the development of the characters and their stories. I was impressed with Hugh Jackman's acting range (as well as Daniel Craig's) when I attended an amazing two-man performance called "A Steady Rain" on Broadway this past year. So there's hope if the expanded writing on the original short-story is very good combined with solid cast and supporting cast! Time will tell.

- Don Pealer
and this is the link
Evangeline Lilly

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Obsessed Fan

I hope she has a sizable part in front of the camera/final cut.

Right now, this is the ONLY Evangeline Lilly related project in the works.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah pretty much...
but try not to get your hopes so high, her role might be small.

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆

Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Obsessed Fan

^^^Can't help it with this drought but it gives me small optimism that Evi is not quitting acting.

Hugh Jackman’s Reel Steel Filming Locations For June 11-18 In Livingston MI |
Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
A future-set story where robot boxing is a popular sport and centered on a struggling promoter (Jackman) who thinks he’s found a champion in a discarded robot. During his hopeful rise to the top, he also discovers he has an 11-year-old son who wants to know his father.
that sound so silly.

maybe Evi's role is the mother of the kid.

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆

Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah the robot boxing makes me a little weary ... but I guess once we see it it will make sense. And true, Evi could be the mom of the kid.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Elite Fan

Please let it be something GOOD. not her being there to pick up the damn phone. please.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the thread!

I have no idea yet how this film will look like, if it's gonna be dark or fantasy/sci-fi but I hope it will be GOOD!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Addicted Fan

I hope it's good too!!! And that's awesome they are filming in MI.

I think Hope Davis is actually playing the boy's mom. The boy seems to have blondish hair and Hope is blonde. All we know so far is Evi is playing a friend of Hugh's character so maybe she tries to help him with all of this.
Amanda's Twitter
Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

OMG, thanks for starting this thread, Amanda !
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Elite Fan

Oh yeah. Thanks for this one Manda! we needed one.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Addicted Fan

You're welcome!!!
Amanda's Twitter
Old 06-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

Regardless, the only reason to look forward to this is Evi.