Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Aaron Paul

Very cool, that seems like a fun thing to study

Last edited by Julie; 10-29-2020 at 06:52 PM
Old 10-30-2020, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Speedster (View Post)
So happy you guys found it interesting .

Yeah, basically I'm writing a section about adaptations with a lot of cool stuff, even including some data about them. It's a lot of information, I'm finding it hard to sum it up, but right this week I'm gonna work with the movie Adaptation, which is literally about a writer adapting a book into a movie.
Very cool. Some of those adaptations are great, some are bad. I have seen movies from books that I was like confused by the changes and some that were right on point with the book. This is certainly a very cool thing to study and a lot to sum up!
Old 10-30-2020, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks, both of you !

Yeah, there are theories that try to explain why some adaptations are seen as good or bad. Emphasis on "seen as", because the most recent theories stem from post-estructuralism, because according to these guys what anyone thinks about a movie or a book is not an universal truth, and they say it's hard to talk about original because there isn't an original in the first place. That also goes with intertextuality, there were always a copy or adaptation that came before. Everything is a copy of something else. It's kind of a rabbit hole . So yeah, I got into this mess with my research.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Aaron Paul

Yeah, I think with book to movie adaptations especially, people get disappointed that it's different from what the world they imagined in their head when reading. Or have certain parts they wanted to see. Some things don't translate well. That's a good point, everything is inspired by something else in some way. I think it's best to look at it as its own thing, it's just someone else's vision inspired by the "original"

Last edited by Julie; 11-03-2020 at 02:44 AM
Old 10-30-2020, 10:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
So happy you guys found it interesting .

Yeah, basically I'm writing a section about adaptations with a lot of cool stuff, even including some data about them. It's a lot of information, I'm finding it hard to sum it up, but right this week I'm gonna work with the movie Adaptation, which is literally about a writer adapting a book into a movie.
Awesome, that sounds really cool
Old 10-31-2020, 11:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Thanks, both of you !

Yeah, there are theories that try to explain why some adaptations are seen as good or bad. Emphasis on "seen as", because the most recent theories stem from post-estructuralism, because according to these guys what anyone thinks about a movie or a book is not an universal truth, and they say it's hard to talk about original because there isn't an original in the first place. That also goes with intertextuality, there were always a copy or adaptation that came before. Everything is a copy of something else. It's kind of a rabbit hole . So yeah, I got into this mess with my research.
It is still very cool though. I find a lot of movies that are adaptations of books leave out alot and some times what I felt was important, but you are right it is really a point of view, maybe the adapter found the things I wanted to see in the movie as unimportant. Usually the books also cover much more than can be covered in a movie so something has to give I think it is very interesting that you study this and analyze it.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Aaron Paul

How was Halloween for everyone?

what are they doing

Last edited by Julie; 11-02-2020 at 11:54 PM
Old 11-03-2020, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Did they join the military? I guess we will find out in December
Old 11-03-2020, 07:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie (View Post)
Yeah, I think with book to movie adaptations especially, people get disappointed that it's different from what the world they imagined in their head when reading. Or have certain parts they wanted to see. Some things don't translate well. That's a good point, everything is inspired by something else in some way. I think it's best to look at it as its own thing, it's just someone else's vision inspired by the "original"
Exactly! That's why some academics say that every person "create their own original" and what you see as the essence of a book or movie is more like your opinion or your view. I think every discussion about whether an adaptation is good or not will always come down to your view, it doesn't matter if you're a critic or anything. There are exceptions, though, at least IMO. Some movies/books/shows come really close to being loved by most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondluverbrotha (View Post)
It is still very cool though. I find a lot of movies that are adaptations of books leave out alot and some times what I felt was important, but you are right it is really a point of view, maybe the adapter found the things I wanted to see in the movie as unimportant. Usually the books also cover much more than can be covered in a movie so something has to give I think it is very interesting that you study this and analyze it.
Well said ! Yeah, there's also that problem when it comes to adapting books into movies: you have to cut storylines, characters, etc. Otherwise some movies would be like 9 hours long . I love studying adaptations, thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Awesome, that sounds really cool
Thank you .
Old 11-03-2020, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Aaron Paul

It is a very interesting topic!

omg

https://news.avclub.com/hulu-wont-be...nxrtqxLoJwvwIo

Quote:
Hulu won't be going back to Castle Rock

Just when you thought the end of the spooky season couldnā€™t hurt any more than it already does, TVLine says Hulu has decided not to renew its Stephen King-inspired anthology series Castle Rock for a third season. That means last yearā€™s take on Misery, with Lizzy Caplan as young Annie Wilkes, will be the last we see of Maineā€™s creepiest little hamletā€”at least until King writes another book that takes place there, which should be happening any minute now (ā€˜cause heā€™s so prolific, you see).
Old 11-04-2020, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh no, I wanted a third season
Old 11-05-2020, 08:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sorry .
Old 11-05-2020, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Aaron Paul

thanks

Quote:
parisrosenewton Donā€™t mess with Franny.... I GOT BACKUP!! ķ ½ķ²Ŗķ ½ķ²Ŗ
I ā¤ļø my TV Uncles!! @cameronmonaghan @noelfisher
#behindthescenes #shameless #season11 #showtime #frannygallagher #gallavich #noelfisher #iangallgher #parisrosenewton #mickymilkovich #cameronmonaghan #shamelessselfie #gallavichforever #gallavichendgame #wearegallaghers #gallagher #instapic #instagood #picoftheday #bts #actors #younghollywood
Old 11-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She is very cute
Old 11-07-2020, 09:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Love that photo, thanks