Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What drew you in?

Share your stories about how you got interested in Life on Mars here. Where did you find out about it? Have you been a fan since it first started? Have you seen both versions? What's your favourite episode? In short what made Life on Mars so special to you?
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Old 01-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm double posting, but that's a perk I'm making for myself this one time (okay, second, I did it on the OT thread a couple months ago).

I became interested in Life on Mars reading a blurb in tv times (a free tv guide that comes with newspapers across Canada), BBC Canada was just airing the first season and the blurb described it as a mix of sci-fi, mystery, and police drama and right away I was being reeled in. I love cop shows, especially when you get the buddy cop thing happening, I love mysteries and the question of whether Sam was comatose, mad, or had time-travelled promised second-guesses throughout the series, and time travel is probably my favourite sci-fi element. I'm a history junkie, so the idea of going back and experiencing things first hand has always had an appeal to me.
I finished the first series just before the second series started so I was on the same ride others were on for half of the show, but then I heard about the American programming and I was fairly optimistic at first, but then grew more pessimistic at the thought of another import on American television (just because they usually don't handle television shows from other countries well) but to my delight and surprise they've done a terrific job with LoM.

I watched the first episode and I was hooked, there were certain parts I hid my eyes from because they were a bit embarrassing from what I remember. But I was intrigued. Gene, now my favourite, rubbed me the wrong way at first, but I quickly gained a liking and respect for him because he wasn't politically correct.

My favourite episode is 2x01, I absolutely adore Marc Warren, and I thought that they did an amazing job combining the coma and time travel theories. Was Sam in a coma and incorporating the world around him into 1973? Or did he go back in time mentally/spiritually/semi-physically to stop Tony Crane from killing his defenceless body?

I really find LoM special because of it's ability to incorporate mystery, drama, sci-fi, and throw in a dash of comedy and romance and because the characters are so completely politically incorrect, and the fact that it doesn't take them 2 seconds to get something forensic done is really nice.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

What drew you in?

Easy, quite a few of my friends who wouldn't stop talking about how I had to watch the show

So I eventually gave in and wasn't sure what exactly to make of the show after watching the pilot, but after the 3rd episode I was totally in love with the show.

I mean, the whole concept is pure genius. While you're still trying to figure out if Sam is mad, in a coma or did really travel back in time you get really attached to all the other characters and hope that he did - indeed - travel back in time, because all the other characters are simply too awesome to only exist in Sam's head So while you're still trying to work out what exactly is going on with Sam you also have to pay attention to all those clues and stuff because you might be lost later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Janet ~
I really find LoM special because of it's ability to incorporate mystery, drama, sci-fi, and throw in a dash of comedy and romance and because the characters are so completely politically incorrect, and the fact that it doesn't take them 2 seconds to get something forensic done is really nice.
I second that.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

What drew you in?
Such an easy one I got assigned her when Janet had issues with her computer

Have you seen both versions?
yeah I did see both versions now i did i first just did watch the uk one ... dunno really why, but I caught up after the assignment

What makes it special to you?
the great actors and actress, and If seen nothing like it before on tv
Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hee! Something good came out of my computer.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Janet ~ (View Post)
Hee! Something good came out of my computer.
you really think?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Elite Fan

I wish I could see both versions.

Janet, I entirely agree with the sci-fi/mystery aspect being a huge draw. Its very unique.

Nad, peer pressure! Forget pressuring you to do drugs, watch LoM!

Yvonne, lol so thanks to the MST?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yvonné, I know.

Jessie, I'm glad you agree.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

There are several things that the MST made me addicted too just talked to andie the other day about the MST making me continue reading Twilight Because I watched the board and was like hey seems it is better than i thought after first book... alright go ahead and read

and for life on mars it was like, i should really know what I am taking about and than it was like it is so great