Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
Will post some pics of my cruise when I have edited them to a reasonable size for the board.
I was wondering where your pics were.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:43 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

I have resized 3 pics so far. 2 of the night cruise we did in Budapest and one of me in the dining room. Will do some more later.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, those buildings are amazing all lit up.

so were you drinking Wine or Coffee?

Sorry I wasn't around all day, but today is Father's Day, so we did the family thing.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
Wow, those buildings are amazing all lit up.

so were you drinking Wine or Coffee?

Sorry I wasn't around all day, but today is Father's Day, so we did the family thing.
We were out tonight for fathers day. We usually go out the Monday night after as cabs are easier to find and places are not so busy. My husband and I (said with a royal accent ) shared a bottle of Prosecco and had champagne truffles yesterday. Finished the bottle today, before going to meet my son and then on to a restaurant.

Drinking the coffee first then finishing the wine. We got wine served with all meals (except breakfast, it wasn't Benidorm ) We had 300 Euro's per cabin as part of our deal and due to the wine or beer if you preferred with lunch and dinner, all tea and coffee in with the price we had quite a bit left over, so bought a Swarovski crystal pendant on the last day. That was my Anniversary present. I was going to get a massage or aromatherapy rub but really there wasn't much time spare if you went on all the excursions. There was a lovely little pool at the back of the ship so any spare time on board I spent swimming. When I had the pool to myself I just swam round the perimeter, so could get quite a few strokes in.

Last edited by LWS53; 06-19-2017 at 05:05 PM
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds so relaxing.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Most days were spent walking around Abbeys, Cathedrals and Churches being told about the old Empress Marie Theresa. The weather was very hot so the walking tours were quite tiring. I think there was a bit of an overload of culture but I didn't want to miss anything - had to get my money's worth. As most of the towns and cities we visited were once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire ,the guides tended to repeat the historical facts.

One of the best visits was to a family living in a village in Slovakia, who told us, through our translator, about their way of life and gave us home made cake and coffee then took us to their wine cellar where we sampled their home produced wine. One of their daughters was living in Scotland having married a Scotsman. They were very cultured intelligent people who had been professionals before retiring to work on their own land, and the guy had rebuilt their house himself. He was also an artist and did a lot of glass painting which he displayed on the walls.

The trip was a bit of a whirlwind so not a lot of time to relax and take in the voyage, but it was very educational and some of the churches were very ornate. Unfortunately it was a religious holiday in Vienna so there were a lot people about as well a loads of tour groups so it was difficult to appreciate the city. We ended up having a drink in a Hard Rock Café to get away from the hoards!

Last edited by LWS53; 06-20-2017 at 04:28 PM
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Historical culture and Hard Rock Café
Old 06-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Well the streets were very crowded and it was a red hot day so sitting in a side street pub away from the crowds was a welcome relief. Hubby said the beer there was the best he had had so far on the holiday. The prosecco was good too. Also we were warned about pick pockets so we didn't want to stay in the crowds. Unfortunately one of the downsides of open borders between European Countries means a lot of not so honest people can travel too preying on tourists.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

If I knew that kind of stuff about a place I wanted to visit, I just wouldn't want to go. I'm not a world traveller by any means. I've only been in Canada and the United States.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:29 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Unfortunately it happens all over the world in cities, and has done for a long time. I was targeted by a gang when I was young in my home town, and learned later that it was a gang working the metro station. A young teenager would approach saying they were short a few pence for their train fare and when you gave them it someone else would see where your purse was and steal it when you were in a crush getting on the train. I never give to anyone now and keep my purse very well hidden and a tight hold of my handbag.

The best thing to do when visiting foreign cities is to keep all valuables to a minimum and only carry a bit of money to buy drinks and small souvenirs, and use credit cards for any big purchases. Never carry passports as they are what a lot of thieves want. We were told to carry photocopies of our passports in case anyone in authority needed to see them. Most of our stuff was in our room-safe on the ship.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

As long as you know what to do and are prepared. Sounds like you were.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

The best thing to do is not to get into conversations with strangers and if you do, keep an eye on who else is lurking around. These people are professionals working in gangs, usually in the pay of organised criminals.

We have just booked another holiday for later in the year to Lanzarote, at hubby's request! You could have knocked me down with a feather. I think his recent health scare has made him want to enjoy himself while he is still fit and reasonably well.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
Most days were spent walking around Abbeys, Cathedrals and Churches being told about the old Empress Marie Theresa. The weather was very hot so the walking tours were quite tiring. I think there was a bit of an overload of culture but I didn't want to miss anything - had to get my money's worth. As most of the towns and cities we visited were once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire ,the guides tended to repeat the historical facts.
Finally remembered to pop over and read about your vacation. That sounds like something I would enjoy, but I think hubby would zone out and be bored by all the history. I'm glad you had a good time.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

The tours weren't mandatory and you could just go ashore and look around on your own or even stay on board and just chill with a glass of wine or beer or a swim in the pool. The bus tour of Bratislava was very interesting as it showed how things were in the communist days. Most of the other passengers were from the US and Canada so your hubby may find someone to pal up with while you were on the historical tours.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A little OT from your Trip Talk

I see you and I are close to some milestones in our Posting. You are coming up to 25,000 and I'm hitting 45,000. Just thought I would mention that.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread