Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well that sucks. Your son is young enough that he should be able to bounce back and maybe he will find something he likes better.

My husband lost his Job in November and just started a new one last month, so things have been quite tight in our household.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 03-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, he wants to go into recruitment. With all his academic qualifications and now considerable experience with customer relations both face to face and on the phone he should get something else quite soon. The last time he was looking everyone wanted at least 6 months experience, and now he has over a year's experience he should be eligible for most customer related jobs.

I'm glad your husband has found work now. It must be a great relief.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Glad to hear that his prospects are good.

My husband got a job with Admiral Insurance. They are like a call centre who only handle calls from Great Britain. he has to learn all the British lingo

Old 03-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
Glad to hear that his prospects are good.

My husband got a job with Admiral Insurance. They are like a call centre who only handle calls from Great Britain. he has to learn all the British lingo
If he gets flummoxed let me know - I know most of the local dialects and different uses of the language. I remember when Diane Kruger asked a Liverpool comedian if he could speak English! Scottish accents, especially Glasgow and the surrounding area accents can also be challenging though.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
If he gets flummoxed let me know - I know most of the local dialects and different uses of the language. I remember when Diane Kruger asked a Liverpool comedian if he could speak English! Scottish accents, especially Glasgow and the surrounding area accents can also be challenging though.
They get some lessons in some of the language and slang to GB. He hasn't handled outside calls yet because they are doing training, so I haven't heard any stories about how he is managing the different terms.

It reminds of the Blooper real of Josh and John on the set of Fringe when they are doing the scene with the car battery. I know John is an Aussie, but their term for a battery that doesn't work is different from our term. It's such a funny scene and I love the way Josh just keeps saying "nope try again" Now I need to go find that clip.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Elite Fan

I remember that one - John kept saying the battery was flat and Josh was correcting him in saying it was dead. That is a British term too. In the end I don't think they bothered with the scene anyway. I would love to be in one of the training sessions - it would be really funny to hear the Canadians using and being taught British slang! Are they taught any cockney rhyming slang? The trainers should just get them to watch a few British soaps - or Rab C. Nesbit, for the Scottish stuff. I could just see him coming home with an arm full of DVDs for his homework.

Going to bed now - 1.10 am. Goodnight!

Last edited by LWS53; 03-04-2017 at 06:11 PM
Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think they just have specific words related to Insurance, but it's just funny to think of him trying to figure out certain things.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Elite Fan

Going to bed now as it's after 1 am. Goodnight.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Good Night.

I'm watching the Series Finale of The Vampire Diaries. Eight great years brought to us by the Dawson's Creek Alumni of Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Elite Fan

I never watched the Vampire Diaries. I think I had enough of dramatic vampire stories with the Hammer horrors of earlier years. Love at first bite was a load of fun though!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really enjoyed the Vampire Diaries. There were some arcs that weren't overly enjoyable though and oddly enough I wasn't a fan of one of the brothers. I liked his character, just not into him that's all. It went for 8 seasons and the finale was Friday night.

The Vampire Diaries was a collaborative effort between Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec where were also part of our beloved Dawson's Creek and Cursed was Kevin's as well. It's funny because there have been comparisons by fans between the two popular pairings of Pacey/Joey and Damon/Elena.

I have the first 5 or 6 seasons on DVD, but I haven't decided whether or not I will get the rest.

I started watching Kevin's latest show "Time After Time". You might like this one as it is based on H.G. Wells Time Machine and Jack the Ripper. The two leads are British, Josh Bowman and Freddie Stroma. They play Jack and Wells. Wells follows Jack to present day after Jack uses the Time Machine. Jack starts killing again in present day. I only saw the pilot, but it looks like a good show.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Elite Fan

I am watching a few shows at the moment - Madam Secretary, Chicago Med. Hawaii Five-O, NCIS Los Angeles, and of course my beloved Person Of Interest (the last Season).

If Jack The Ripper turned up in modern day London and tried to murder prostitutes he would soon get bumped off by their Eastern European jailors! Most of the poor girls are sex slaves who have been brought from Albania and other Eastern European countries, hoping for a better life. I think both Jack and Wells would have a big shock if they really came to our present day!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Chicago Med is the only show from your list that I watch. I want to see Person of Interest though, so crossing my fingers that it comes to Netflix once it's over. I got bored with Hawaii Five-O in S1 when the story was all about the one cop's dad and the mystery behind it all. However, that kind of arc will get me bored in other shows too. I much prefer an episodic show with a minor backstory. If it does come to Netflix I may give it a second look.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Elite Fan

My hubby watches some of those shows so they are stuff we can watch together. Hawaii 5-O is good to watch for the Heroes and Lost actors who are part of the team.

I watch POI mainly for Michael Emerson as he is such a good actor especially playing weirdo and creepy roles. Amy Acker is great too as a psycho sidekick. There is a lovely dog in it too as well as a lot of Fringe actors that keep popping up as guest stars.

Have to go now to pick up hubby from the station.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well we are getting blasted with another winter storm tonight. It's happening right now, the power flickered, but so far we are good. Some places are expecting 15-30 centimetres. I'm hoping it will change to rain and not be too much by morning. Crossing my fingers.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread