Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

well, Lockheed Martin builds missile systems, so I'm not convinced they are the problem. I'd target the assault rifle manufacturers, as well as lax gun laws. It's been pointed out that U.S. gun control laws actually allow suspected terrorists -- including the 700,000 people on the U.S. "no-fly" list to buy weapons! And bills to stop this get railroaded by the National Rifle Association lobby efforts. So I for one, and not just because I happen to live in the United States, would strongly urge much stricter gun control, period. See https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...m-buying-guns/
Old 11-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The US gun control has been such a hot topic for so many years. I don't necessarily follow it to the letter, so can't really speak to it very well, but I don't understand why there are so many against gun control when there appears to be so much evidence to support gun control.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 11-23-2015, 03:05 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
Did you enjoy North Yorkshire? My husband's parents lived in North Yorkshire so we used to visit quite regularly and had some really nice holidays in that area when my son was young. We now live near Wales so visit there quite regularly, mainly in the summer months, and have spent a few holidays there in the past. Pony trekking in the mid-Wales countryside brings back some memories! Quite an adventure for a 15 year old and 17 year old on holiday for the first time without parents.
I love North Yorkshire. My husband is originally from Yorkshire so I reckon I've seen more of Yorkshire than most English folks! LOL my parents in law used to own a cottage in the Yorkshire Moors in a quaint English village called Thornton -Le - Dale and we regularly went to the coast at Scarborough and Flamborough Head. This time we went to the dales and stayed in Kettlewell and onto Richmond. We also love Harrogate and Knaresborough. York is terribly touristy but still fun but I prefer the less well known places of England. loved our trip to North Wales it is so pretty . We stayed in a gorgeous town called Betwys -y - Coed ( pls excuse if I have misspelt it!!). I have been to the UK many many times with my hubby - he likes to go back every couple of years or so . My 12 year old is on his third passport!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchgreeneyes (View Post)
I love North Yorkshire. My husband is originally from Yorkshire so I reckon I've seen more of Yorkshire than most English folks! LOL my parents in law used to own a cottage in the Yorkshire Moors in a quaint English village called Thornton -Le - Dale and we regularly went to the coast at Scarborough and Flamborough Head. This time we went to the dales and stayed in Kettlewell and onto Richmond. We also love Harrogate and Knaresborough. York is terribly touristy but still fun but I prefer the less well known places of England. loved our trip to North Wales it is so pretty . We stayed in a gorgeous town called Betwys -y - Coed ( pls excuse if I have misspelt it!!). I have been to the UK many many times with my hubby - he likes to go back every couple of years or so . My 12 year old is on his third passport!
I know "Betsy"(as it is known colloquially) well as we have been many times. Unfortunately most of Liverpool and Birkenhead know it too so it gets too crowded at weekends and in the school holidays. A lot of people from my area have caravans there and it is a well known beauty spot and holiday destination as well as getting a lot of day trippers.

We often visit Llandudno in the summer months as there is a long promenade which is good to walk along, one of the only places to walk that has no hills.

We used to visit Pickering and go on the North York Moors Railway when my son was younger and often stayed in Whitby or Goathland both before and after it became popular as a tv location. The Steam train runs from Pickering to Grosmont where there is a rail link to Whitby on the National Rail network.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The only thing I have to contribute to that conversation is that my Grandfather is from Wales. My maiden name is Jones (1 of 3 "J"s in my name)

Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Elite Fan

Sitting here at just after midnight wondering whether to go and watch The Walking Dead with the family - ahh such a lovely family show - well it is when your son is all grown up!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Sitting here at just after midnight wondering whether to go and watch The Walking Dead with the family - ahh such a lovely family show - well it is when your son is all grown up!
Just watched it today with my son and just so you know "I totally called that first scene" back when it first happened a couple of episodes ago.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Elite Fan

Well by the time I decided to go and watch it was finished, but it seems to be moving as slowly as the zombies so I probably didn't miss much. I think Norman Reedus has the most likable character and enjoyed the episode he was in the woods with those people who pinched his bike. Luckily he found the lorry hidden so was able to get back to his friends.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Well by the time I decided to go and watch it was finished, but it seems to be moving as slowly as the zombies so I probably didn't miss much. I think Norman Reedus has the most likable character and enjoyed the episode he was in the woods with those people who pinched his bike. Luckily he found the lorry hidden so was able to get back to his friends.
My favourite character is Glenn.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Extreme Fan

#I STAND WITH RUSSIA: whatever you think about the jet being shot down folks...Think about that pilot that was shot dead by Islamic forces and his fate and what if it had been either a Brit, French, US, Syrian or Iraqi pilot that had been the unfortunate victim.

Someone's son, brother, cousin or husband died and somewhere someone is grieving. That really got me thinking the day despite all the rhetoric going on in the background. I really hope cool heads win out in this situation, no-one wants to be the cause of an even worse escalation than what's already occurring in Syria.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Elite Fan

I have just been out this afternoon with my son and bought him a car! The old Rover is on it's last legs and it looks like the cylinder head gasket is going again, which means it would not be mendable and we would need a new cylinder head which would cost well over £1000 and the car is only worth about £200-£250 in good condition because of it's age and the Company being defunct.

It's a shame as I have had that car since new and it will be like getting rid of an old family retainer. When the local paper comes I will look up scrap people to get someone to come and take it away.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledon (View Post)
#I STAND WITH RUSSIA: whatever you think about the jet being shot down folks...Think about that pilot that was shot dead by Islamic forces and his fate and what if it had been either a Brit, French, US, Syrian or Iraqi pilot that had been the unfortunate victim.

Someone's son, brother, cousin or husband died and somewhere someone is grieving. That really got me thinking the day despite all the rhetoric going on in the background. I really hope cool heads win out in this situation, no-one wants to be the cause of an even worse escalation than what's already occurring in Syria.
That was horrible and I can't believe what's been going on in the World right now. Just when you think we are all starting to get along, things like this start happening again.

I'm starting to get nervous for my son now. He's 18 and is a part-time Reservist with the Canadian Armed Forces and prior to the Paris attack he had signed up for a deployment (details were not confirmed) and I was pretty proud because I was thinking it might be some humanitarian effort and now I'm scared to find out what might be happening with them. We still don't know where he will be going and my understanding is that will happen sometime in January.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
That was horrible and I can't believe what's been going on in the World right now. Just when you think we are all starting to get along, things like this start happening again.

I'm starting to get nervous for my son now. He's 18 and is a part-time Reservist with the Canadian Armed Forces and prior to the Paris attack he had signed up for a deployment (details were not confirmed) and I was pretty proud because I was thinking it might be some humanitarian effort and now I'm scared to find out what might be happening with them. We still don't know where he will be going and my understanding is that will happen sometime in January.
I really feel for you and really hope your son doesn't get deployed to a sensitive place, but no-one is really safe now wherever they live or whatever they do - that is the insurgents and terrorists aim, to scare people into feeling unsafe wherever they are. Thankfully Brussels is returning to normal but the criminals are still at large so lets hope they catch that particular cell soon.

What happened in Turkey is terrible and is all part of a big struggle going on in that area between different factions and their more powerful allies.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I really feel for you and really hope your son doesn't get deployed to a sensitive place, but no-one is really safe now wherever they live or whatever they do - that is the insurgents and terrorists aim, to scare people into feeling unsafe wherever they are. Thankfully Brussels is returning to normal but the criminals are still at large so lets hope they catch that particular cell soon.

What happened in Turkey is terrible and is all part of a big struggle going on in that area between different factions and their more powerful allies.
I was watching the News tonight and with the US Thanksgiving this weekend they have the famous Macy's day parade and they showed the Streets of NYC being checked in force showing the Police out there with machine guns, dogs, etc. I hope it goes off without a hitch.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American posters!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread