Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
I just watched this movie on my new Smart TV which was great as it worked perfectly, and I got to see the beautiful scenery on the large screen.
Nice. I'm due for a re-watch of One Week. I just watched SITS today on Netflix.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

The HD copy of One Week is better quality than my dvd on my little all region dvd player/tv. I'm sure it will become commonplace soon but at the moment the new tv is like being at the cinema - except you don't have to go out or share the experience with other folks - just me a cup of tea and my lounger. The trouble is when I get very comfortable I tend to doze off so sometimes miss the best bits.

I saw the bit where Ben jumps from the high rock into the water and unless it is very clever photography I'm sure it is Josh doing the stunt.
LWS53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Elite Fan

AliEna ‏@InnerStarlight · Dec 23
Getting yourself a cold on Christmas Eve Eve sucks... a cup of hot chocolate and One Week can make wonders! #JJax

Old 01-16-2016, 05:14 AM
Elite Fan

I don't recall seeing this version of pic before, (hands in pocket)

Old 01-16-2016, 07:08 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Great pic!
LWS53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:15 AM
Elite Fan

StopIsraelApartheid ‏@NadineLumley · Jan 5
.@awudrick My fav Canadian Movie: One Week (2008) https://youtu.be/9qnfLYhWGR0 90m Stars: Joshua Jackson, Peter Spence & Marc Strange #MotorBike
Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Elite Fan

Well I'm watching One Week and now I'm crying.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Elite Fan

Oshawa Libraries ‏@OshawaLibraries · 14m14 minutes ago
Dina's fav #CdnFilm is One Week starring #Canadian actor #JoshuaJackson. #CanFilmDay #Oshawa #Libraries #Canada

Old 08-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Elite Fan

There's a part of me that wonders if the message behind "One Week" might have had some influence on Gord Downie's desire to go on tour.

Steve Mac ‏@im_mac · 12h12 hours ago
I hope that when I face death, I do it dancing in shiny pants, a killer hat and inspiring a nation #TheHip

Gord Downie has brain cancer and he wanted to give Canada one last tour and they finished their tour in their home town where it all started, Kingston, Ontario.

Here's Gord Downie with Josh in their scene together in "One Week".

OCDindeed ‏@OCDindeed · 13h13 hours ago
A man with terminal brain cancer sang for 3 hrs, made a nation standstill, brought us to tears & gave us the send off of a century #TheHip

Mike Bergren ‏@bergy35 · 13h13 hours ago
"Son, let me tell you about a fearless man with terminal cancer and his band who played for three hours, broadcast coast to coast" #TheHip

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...amatic-goodbye

Even our Prime Minister attended the concert

Daniel George ‏@ItsDanielGeorge · 13h13 hours ago
Seriously, my world leader is so much cooler than yours. #TheHip

Last edited by JJH85; 08-21-2016 at 09:18 AM
JJH85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have a friend in Toronto and I had discussed the film One Week with her after watching it for the first time. When news about Gord Downie broke and they announced the tour she told me about it. To go on the tour and reach out to so many people that way, it is such a powerful story and message.
CatF2207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Loyal Fan

I watched it for the first time! (And made screencaps!)

Of the movies I'd seen, I would previously have put Shutter as prettiest JJ but One Week is now the total winner.

I did get teary at the end but this is probably personal history about people delaying cancer treatment, I spent a lot of the movie being like "dude, people love you and your actions are making them hurt" along with a helping of "this story would play completely differently if it were not an attractive white guy doing this."

I enjoyed it, and Josh was great and wow, unbelievably pretty, and moving, but I still think Ben was kind of a jerk.
Sandy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Elite Fan

I love your screen caps, especially the last one.

I never thought Ben was a jerk. He was dealt a bad hand and had to deal with it as best he could. It was a real eye opener for him and made him realize that he never truly lived his life. That doesn't make you a jerk, it just makes you sad.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:41 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
I love your screen caps, especially the last one.

I never thought Ben was a jerk. He was dealt a bad hand and had to deal with it as best he could. It was a real eye opener for him and made him realize that he never truly lived his life. That doesn't make you a jerk, it just makes you sad.

I had a friend who chose to delay and briefly forgo cancer treatment, it spread and she passed away. Like I said, personal bias. To me, watching, all I could think about was the pain in Ben's father's voice and the way his family would suffer if his growing illness on the trip meant he just up and died on that surfboard or drowned trying to paddle back.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Elite Fan

I know where you are coming from. I have a bit of experience as well which is why I'm so mixed on it.

My father was diagnosed on August 7th (12yrs ago) and passed two months later on October 13th. Sometimes I feel glad that he had a short illness, but other times I wish it could have been longer. When he was diagnosed he was already in Stage 4 which is where Ben was and after my father had surgery he went downhill fast. I'm still on the fence about the whole thing because sometimes I think if he hadn't had the surgery he would have had a better quality of life until it took him.

Last edited by JJH85; 08-24-2016 at 05:19 PM
JJH85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
I know where you are coming from. I have a bit of experience as well which is why I'm so mixed on it.

My father was diagnosed on August 7th (12yrs ago) and passed two months later on October 13th. Sometimes I feel glad that he had a short illness, but other times I wish it could have been longer. When he was diagnosed he was already in Stage 4 which is where Ben was and after my father had surgery he went downhill fast. I'm still on the fence about the whole thing because sometimes I think if he hadn't had the surgery he would have had a better quality of life until it took him.
Cancer sucks. I'm sorry about your father. My friend died a year after her diagnosis.

At least it's a beautiful movie about beautiful Canada and the prettiest Canadian boy.
Reply   Post New Thread