Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Banned

I am so sick of the way his good films are being treated. It's not even funny. I am sure Wendy and Lucy didn't get any ads with no professional critics but just a bunch of fans of a trailer. I wonder what will take for Josh to have a movie that is treated fairly. Michelle's movies always get fairplay and people love her movies but Josh gets the most criticism for every single movie he has made.
JoshandChristinaCursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Mandy, the day before my post I checked the site and he hadn't answered any questions. Just my luck, that I say that, and then some answers have been done. Doh.

Do people on the two sites that have highlighted the poster, know that it is a very indie movie? I can see why they have done it, using the viewers comments. Thanks to Mandy's explanation. However, unfortunately these sites aren't portraying it in that light.

Ironically, there are four reviews listed on the official one week site from TIFF. The comments are mostly favourable so far, with most saying "I enjoyed the movie".

One article I was reading said that for Canadian films they have to do well in the first three days that it is shown. If it doesn't do well it gets pulled straight away, and that's it. I don't know if this is the case with One Week. So, the pressure is on to get the film out there, so that people know about it. The film has been shown at quite a few Canadian film festivals.

They need bums on seats over the next three days. A few sites, are all "Watchmen, will be there next week, but this film and two other Canadian films also showing may not be. Go see them now."

Last edited by aussiechic; 03-05-2009 at 07:25 PM
aussiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshandChristinaCursed (View Post)
I am so sick of the way his good films are being treated. It's not even funny. I am sure Wendy and Lucy didn't get any ads with no professional critics but just a bunch of fans of a trailer. I wonder what will take for Josh to have a movie that is treated fairly. Michelle's movies always get fairplay and people love her movies but Josh gets the most criticism for every single movie he has made.
Oh, whatever. I only knew about Wendy and Lucy because I'm interested in Michelle. Beyond that? I didn't see ONE. SINGLE. AD. for the film and I live in Los Angeles area. There may have been something in the trades, but beyond that? Nada.

And Josh doesn't get the most criticism for every single movie he has made. But what's the point, Patty? You flip out when Josh DOES get praise and when he doesn't. Move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiechic (View Post)
Mandy, the day before my post I checked the site and he hadn't answered any questions. Just my luck, that I say that, and then some answers have been done. Doh.
It's okay. I figured that was the case.

Quote:
Do people on the two sites that have highlighted the poster, know that it is a very indie movie? I can see why they have done it, using the viewers comments. Thanks to Mandy's explanation. However, unfortunately these sites aren't portraying it in that light.
Right. I think that in Canada, maybe things are looked at differently in regards to this particular project. In regards to indie films, I think this is the most theaters that one of Josh's indies has ever had. So, it's getting a little more 'buzz' or talk then usual for him.

Quote:
Ironically, there are four reviews listed on the official one week site from TIFF. The comments are mostly favourable so far, with most saying "I enjoyed the movie".
That's not uncommon. Production would go more to the positive then the negative.
Quote:
One article I was reading said that for Canadian films they have to do well in the first three days that it is shown. If it doesn't do well it gets pulled straight away, and that's it. I don't know if this is the case with One Week. So, the pressure is on to get the film out there, so that people know about it. The film has been shown at quite a few Canadian film festivals.
Hm, that's possible. But it could be that where it's showing that it has a slightly better chance. It's a slow movie time at the moment and because it's very, very Canadian centric, it might be more patriotic to keep it in the theaters. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

About the release this week:

Wide release for Week

Quote:
Mongrel Media has reached some unusually large audiences lately - from the decidedly youth-aimed How She Move, on which it teamed with Paramount Vantage last winter to the tune of some $7 million, to Away from Her, which so famously combined high praise and box-office receipts in 2006.

And yet, at nearly 60 screens, this Friday's release of One Week marks the widest ever of a Canadian film by the boutique distributor.

Mongrel is pulling out all the stops for Michael McGowan's road-trip drama with a $1-million P&A push to leverage the popular appeal of Fringe's Joshua Jackson in the lead. "We believe that if we get the audiences on the weekend, we will do very well because it's a word-of-mouth film," says Mongrel president Hussain Amarshi.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

A fantastic written/video review of the film:

CKWS Television
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

Here is my current favorite review

Metro - One Week

some spoilers within the article.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Loyal Fan

Hopefully Paramount Vantage or Fox Searchlight could take notice!
Conway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

Looks like the ad is getting more attention than the film itself
Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshandChristinaCursed (View Post)
Looks like the ad is getting more attention than the film itself
Ah, that's mostly from a U.S. perspective. The film isn't even showing here. So, people (and critics) can't even form a true opinion about the film.

I've been reading mostly great reviews from Canadian critics. That's the important thing.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Loyal Fan

Is it possible Josh will get some sort of nomination for this, or is that wishful thinking? :-)
Conway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway1 (View Post)
Is it possible Josh will get some sort of nomination for this, or is that wishful thinking? :-)
A nomination for ?

Being that it's a Canadian only release (currently), I guess it could go up for big awards there. Isn't the Genie award like the Oscars or well, more like their Golden Globes? (Since it does TV, too)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Master Fan

I've been reading only great reviews about this film and Josh's performance

Found this:

Quote:
FILM: Emm Gryner considers One Week, and its carefully chosen music, an ode to Canada

Emm Gryner has been taking her act on the road for years.
Now, the St. Marys-area singer-songwriter has taken it to the screen in One Week.

Gryner plays Tracey, a woman hiking in Banff when she unexpectedly encounters Ben Tyler, the character played by One Week's star Joshua Jackson.

"I loved the character," Gryner says of Tracey.

One Week chronicles the Tyler character's flight from the confines of his life on a vintage motorcycle.

"Joshua Jackson was very patient and gave a lot of time to me," she says. "I tried to just chat to him a lot before our scene because as unnatural as it is for me to just launch myself on a stranger, I knew if I didn't get to know him just a little on the day, I'd feel uncomfortable about the scene.

"You have to speed the whole process up when you're doing something like this. There's no waiting around for inspiration to strike."

Jackson's character meets Tracey in a campfire scene where the old Quebec folk song Un Canadien Errant -- heard three times in the movie -- is prominent.

"I think I got the part because she is similar to me," Gryner says. "I kept wanting to play her a little sarcastically but Mike (director Michael McGowan) kept reining that in, reminding me Tracey is sort of a wise woman of the mountains."

McGowan had something special in mind for Gryner.

"Because the song Un Canadien Errant features so prominently in the scene, I really felt that if we could get a great singer who could also act, we'd be in a much better position," McGowan says. "What surprised me about Emm was how great she was as an actor. She gave Tracey a soulful quality that wasn't in the script."
Born in Sarnia, Gryner grew up in Forest. A former Fanshawe student, she has directed her own career, recording Juno-nominated albums and co-hosting on CBC Radio.

"Acting itself is very foreign to me -- if I did more of it, I'd love to do theatre. Back a million years ago, I won the Grand Theatre's Young Playwright's Contest three years in a row.

"But with music you have a soundtrack to take yourself somewhere, your body is playing a piano or a guitar, and that moves you to an emotional place and acting is just a whole other ball game. You really only have the words, and your feeling about the situation."

One Week's cast includes Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie. Many Canadian indie rockers are heard on the soundtrack, including the husband and wife team of Luke Doucet and Melissa McClelland who perform a new, anthemic version of Un Canadien Errant. It is heard over the closing credits.

Gryner's Blackwinged Bird is heard on the soundtrack. It is from her 2006 album The Summer of High Hopes.

Sam Roberts, the Great Lake Swimmers, Stars and Joel Plaskett are among others contributing to One Week's soundscape.

"The music is one of my favourite things about this film," Gryner says.

"Everyone's talking about the songs in the film, but Andrew Lockington who wrote the score just totally nailed it in my opinion," Gryner says.

"I love movies with soundtracks that are extensions of the story, they make the landscape work. Of course I love Joel Plaskett and Wintersleep and . . . of course my song being used in it.

"I'm glad the music was chosen so carefully . . . in a film that is a love letter to Canada, it certainly is the collector's stamp on the envelope."

Gryner is also busy with her own music. Her new album, Goddess (Dead Daisy), has guests including guitarist Russell Broom and drummer Charles Dumont.

A love letter in songs
Behind blue eyes
Avi by jo0ojz@livejournal
IloveJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the article, Romi

So happy Josh is being praised for this role

Nadia
Avi Credit: Beth
jen4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Total Fan

Does anyone know how much One Week earned at the box office ?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

It made top 10 in Canada's BO so I guess that's good. The reviews are pretty good too, so I hope it makes it in the U.S.

10 - One Week Mongrel Media $204,375

Box Office
rosedc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread