Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 AM
Elite Fan

New OT Thread #45: Because it's a great way to keep up to Speed with each other.

From Party Planning

To Tai Chi

Or Re-furnishing the house

Perhaps Fan-fic writing(and reading)

We want to hear all about your pastimes and hobbies, or anything else you wish to talk about.

Previous threads.
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/ot-threa...peat-63115442/
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/ot-threa...bout-63118955/
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/ot-threa...hing-63121197/
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/ot-threa...5/index21.html
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/ot-threa...sure-63132247/
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/ot-threa...3/index21.html
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/ot-threa...hing-63137082/
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/ot-threa...goes-63141432/
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/new-ot-t...ings-63145522/
Old 05-22-2015, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for opening the new thread.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 05-22-2015, 06:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new one
Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
Thanks for opening the new thread.
Thats ok - if you want to change the title or add anything to the OP please feel free. I just made it up on the spur of the moment so if you don't like it we can change it.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
Thats ok - if you want to change the title or add anything to the OP please feel free. I just made it up on the spur of the moment so if you don't like it we can change it.
The OT thread is general like the game threads so we really don't have to get too creative.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The OT thread is general like the game threads so we really don't have to get too creative.
Well if anyone has a new hobby or pastime that they want to share we can add it to the next OP. What happened to that member and her husband who are doing that long walk - has she started yet? I mean to follow her progress but am not sure when she was starting. I will have to look back through the ot threads to see which one she posted in.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Fan

Nice new OP thanks
Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I won't be around for a while tomorrow as my son is in a Military Parade and we are going to watch him. They are wearing some historical uniforms and they look quite good, I'm excited to see him in it.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I won't be around for a while tomorrow as my son is in a Military Parade and we are going to watch him. They are wearing some historical uniforms and they look quite good, I'm excited to see him in it.
Hope you have a great day.

Brought this convo piece from the Josh and Diane thread to continue.

I learned French at school but they mostly concentrate on verbs and correct tenses instead of teaching us how to converse - anyway we only learn in High school whereas to learn anything new it is best to start much younger. My husband's sister moved to Italy when she was about 16 and married an Italian so stayed there. Her sons don't speak English as she never bothered to teach them and her husband refused to learn. We haven't seen her for years as she stopped communicating with us and has not answered any correspondence for years.

My husband's cousin sent his sons to the Caribbean to learn Spanish and they are both fluent, which is just as well as they are both married to Central American girls. Their children are being brought up with both cultures and languages which will be great for them in the future. The girls are both pretty fluent in English now as they have been to lessons especially developed for non English speaking immigrants.

Last edited by LWS53; 05-23-2015 at 07:41 AM
Old 05-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Hope you have a great day.

Brought this convo piece from the Josh and Diane thread to continue.

I learned French at school but they mostly concentrate on verbs and correct tenses instead of teaching us how to converse - anyway we only learn in High school whereas to learn anything new it is best to start much younger. My husband's sister moved to Italy when she was about 16 and married an Italian so stayed there. Her sons don't speak English as she never bothered to teach them and her husband refused to learn. We haven't seen her for years as she stopped communicating with us and has not answered any correspondence for years.

My husband's cousin sent his sons to the Caribbean to learn Spanish and they are both fluent, which is just as well as they are both married to Central American girls. Their children are being brought up with both cultures and languages which will be great for them in the future. The girls are both pretty fluent in English now as they have been to lessons especially developed for non English speaking immigrants.
That's nice for your SIL, but not very nice for the family she has cut off, but then if her husband has refused to speak English, maybe he's controlling enough not to allow her speak it either. It's a shame and unfortunate for her kids as well from both a family and learning aspect.

My father was the oldest of 13 and they all were born in the French Province of Quebec; however, were brought up bilingual. My parents tried to get us in French schools when we were young, but there was limited space, so the criteria was that both parents had to be French to get in. C'est la vie.

On another note, you may notice that I am slow at posting, well that is because I'm typing with one hand (my left) and soaking my other in sea water to help try an heal it from a reaction I had from something. Typing with the opposite hand is harder than I thought.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
That's nice for your SIL, but not very nice for the family she has cut off, but then if her husband has refused to speak English, maybe he's controlling enough not to allow her speak it either. It's a shame and unfortunate for her kids as well from both a family and learning aspect.

My father was the oldest of 13 and they all were born in the French Province of Quebec; however, were brought up bilingual. My parents tried to get us in French schools when we were young, but there was limited space, so the criteria was that both parents had to be French to get in. C'est la vie.

On another note, you may notice that I am slow at posting, well that is because I'm typing with one hand (my left) and soaking my other in sea water to help try an heal it from a reaction I had from something. Typing with the opposite hand is harder than I thought.
Have you had an insect bite? Sometimes you don't notice at the time then later you get the reaction. Have you taken any anti-histamine tablets? I always have some handy, just in case.

I learned to type at school so can use both hand equally badly. Luckily my computer underlines it in red if I make a typing mistake.

My SIL was very attached to her dad but not so with her mum. I don't think she could cope with the thought of her mother having dementia and having to go into a home so she just opted out. She was always the favourite and spoiled, whereas my husband was the practical one.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Moving truck rolls up in 9 days and 15 hours... and I'm beat. Yard/moving sale day was today, and the weather was perfect. It's a holiday weekend, though, so many folks are out of town. Still, we probably sold off half the stuff we were trying to get rid of, including bookshelves and some big items, so a successful day!

I always meet interesting people when I have a yard sale. Sure there are always jerks who show up to nickel and dime you to death, but most of the time I feel pretty good about sending off my unwanted stuff with a nice person, and feel even better putting the cash in the bank.

Clean start! Freshly painted house waiting for me, and I already have a few summer concert tix lined up with brothers and friends. Can't wait to be home and reboot my life.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Fringe (View Post)
Moving truck rolls up in 9 days and 15 hours... and I'm beat. Yard/moving sale day was today, and the weather was perfect. It's a holiday weekend, though, so many folks are out of town. Still, we probably sold off half the stuff we were trying to get rid of, including bookshelves and some big items, so a successful day!

I always meet interesting people when I have a yard sale. Sure there are always jerks who show up to nickel and dime you to death, but most of the time I feel pretty good about sending off my unwanted stuff with a nice person, and feel even better putting the cash in the bank.

Clean start! Freshly painted house waiting for me, and I already have a few summer concert tix lined up with brothers and friends. Can't wait to be home and reboot my life.
This is sounding exciting. It always feels good to get a couple bucks for unwanted items. If you can't pay it forward you might as well make something off of it.

Quote:
Have you had an insect bite? Sometimes you don't notice at the time then later you get the reaction. Have you taken any anti-histamine tablets? I always have some handy, just in case.

I learned to type at school so can use both hand equally badly. Luckily my computer underlines it in red if I make a typing mistake.
No I have extremely sensitive skin, so can't wear anything that has scents or anything. I don't recall what exactly I had gotten into, but a couple days later it got the usual water blisters and then dry/split skin. It was almost healed and I thought I would put some Aloe gel on it, but it was only 98% Aloe which means that my skin didn't like the other 2% and now it's twice as bad as it was.

I am a typist, but one handed is still a challenge as when I type I have both hands and don't need to look at the keys, but it so different with just one hand working them.

Last edited by JJH85; 05-23-2015 at 07:35 PM
Old 05-24-2015, 03:00 AM
Elite Fan

I have pretty sensitive skin but not that bad. Funnily enough two of the products that are supposed to help my psoriasis actually make me itch even more, and one of them made my legs swell up. I found something called diprobase cream is the best, which I can get on prescription or it can be bought over the counter.

I wish I could touch type - I had thousands of lessons but never quite picked it up, so although I can type quite fast I still have to look. It didn't help that the typing teacher was a bully who would thump me in the back and shout! School was a blast way back then. My son's teachers were lovely, and hardly raised their voices never mind used violence, but then they are a different type of person that the ones we had, and the rules have changed regarding the hitting of pupils.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:19 AM
Extreme Fan

Justyne, try lavender oil or anything lavender based preferably PURE oil on your skin. Generally known as a good antiseptic and something to soothe stings, bites or anything and also helps you to sleep better at night. Sometimes mixing with a little patchouli oil helps both skin healing and insomnia as well.

Same with my skin, no perfume, deodorants (bar salt water based stuff from the health food store) or products bar "natural based soaps" or the "SIMPLE" range of stuff, only as natural as possible for me. Goes with the recessive genetics of being a neg and a total A type as we hate that kind of chemicalised garbage!. How people can wander around smelling fifty shades of everything is beyond me, I'm very "perfume cloud" sensitive!.