Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

Joshua jackson, best emotional actor out there!

Anyone else agree that Josh is one of the best criers out there? He blows me away with how effortless he does it. He also manages to do it without overdoing it.
After watching Aurora Borealis and that *Big* scene of Josh's, he shows me how great an actor he is. That nomination was not a fluke!

Last edited by JoshandChristinaCursed; 12-10-2006 at 01:16 PM
JoshandChristinaCursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Elite Fan

so agree. He is so natural. I watch other tv shows and movies and the guys look so fake. What nomination? thanks

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Supreme Fan

Oh, he's a natural all right; tear-your-heart-right-out-of-your-chest natural!

Some fine examples: Oh, and better get out your tissues!

Charlie

Parental Discretion Advised

Uncharted Waters

Sex, She Wrote

The Longest Day

And don't forget, Josh admits he goes "deep" for those tears.
Ten My Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Loyal Fan

I think he has to be one of the great male criers of all time. His tears never seem contrived or phony; he never has to resort to screwing his face up as if he had just sucked a lemon to wring the emotion out. It's all in his eyes, his tears are real and almost delicate. His pain is palpable.

Under rated actor indeed. Watching him cry brings tears to my eyes every time...

Avi by Agnis
LVF58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Master Fan

Well, this is a bit of a random thread, no?

I don't know about being the "best crier", but I think that he can really display true emotion and sorrow very well, even at a young age.

And that's about all I have to say for this thread.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVF58 (View Post)
I think he has to be one of the great male criers of all time. His tears never seem contrived or phony; he never has to resort to screwing his face up as if he had just sucked a lemon to wring the emotion out. It's all in his eyes, his tears are real and almost delicate. His pain is palpable.

Under rated actor indeed. Watching him cry brings tears to my eyes every time...
maybe it is because he seems to be so in touch with emotions...in the series finale commentary, they talk about the last scene with pacey and joey, which was the last scene actually shot, and how the tears in josh's eyes were his own, not called for in the script at all but his own emotions that he brought during the scene!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:46 AM
Loyal Fan

And doesn't every woman really love a man who is a. in touch enough with his own emotions and b. secure enough in his own masculinity to be able to cry in the first place? So many men simply can't.

Avi by Agnis
Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy (View Post)
Well, this is a bit of a random thread, no?

I don't know about being the "best crier", but I think that he can really display true emotion and sorrow very well, even at a young age.

And that's about all I have to say for this thread.
Why what's wrong with it?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:41 AM
Elite Fan

cool mpi. I didn't know that

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Part-Time Fan

Not only can HE really cry, but he can make me a blubbering mess if he wants to. Look at that "Charlie" face. OMG. If he were my child, I'd never be able to tell him no. I love his early movie, Digger. He doesn't cry, but I sure do ! All through the six years of DC, every time an incident came up that made him cry, it broke my heart. Now there were other men in the series that cried. Kerr did a good job, but nobody did it as well as Josh. In season 6 when Pacey takes Joey to the dance, and he tells her this could be it, she could be the one and she tells him, "Eddie came back"! I could puke first and then slap the silly right out of her. Breaking his heart like that. Josh is just the best at the emotional level. But then, what is he not the best at? And I like this thread. What else we gotta do?
Skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshandChristinaCursed (View Post)
Why what's wrong with it?
It's just so random, Patty, that's all I'm saying. It's an interesting choice for a subject and thread title.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Master Fan

It seems odd to me to single out the crying as the best thing he does, because without everything else he's doing the crying would feel empty and...stupid. Josh emotes well, whether he's being funny & lighthearted, or falling for the girl, or crying over his stupid father who doesn't get him, Josh does it all equally well.

The reason the "big scene" in Aurora Borealis worked so well is because I cared. I cared about Duncan. I cared about Ronald. I cared about the relationship between the two of them. If they'd opened the movie with that scene, it would've lost most of the emotional impact. It still would have been intense, but it wouldn't have turned the audience into a slobbering mess. Does that make sense at all?

So, yes, Josh does cry well. His tears never seem over-the-top or ridiculous. But I think singling out that one thing takes away from everything else that he does so well.

I think what separates Josh from MOST of the other actors working today, particularly the actors in his age bracket, is the total sincerity that he puts into his characters. There are only a handful of actors that I feel are totally sincere in everything they do, and I think that's what makes them unique and what draws people to their performances. But that's just my opinion.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Loyal Fan

And I don't think anyone here will disagree with that assessment. I actually remember discussing the crying issue on the board at least once before. And I think that any number of actors act with integrity and authenticity, but I still believe Josh is able to pull a very strong emotion out of a place that few men, actors or not, dare to go to.

Josh also makes me laugh when the situation calls for it - he is an extremely talented man who can handle the entire spectrum of emotions with equal aplomb - but his ability to truly get in touch with his own emotions and use them to affect the audience in the way he does (and crying is the best example of this ability, although by far not the only one) sets him apart from the pack. We somehow see through to the sadness in his soul, feel his humanity and that is a rare ability...sets the totally gifted apart from the hacks.

Avi by Agnis
Old 12-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Banned

I'm not taking away anything, palegreen. I just think that Josh emotes very well and one of the best things he does is crying scenes. Should I just change the thread title? i have seen many actors who don't make me feel for them, whether it be crying, laughing, whatever, Josh is the only person who does that for me and I want to appreciate that. That's all.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by palegreen (View Post)
It seems odd to me to single out the crying as the best thing he does, because without everything else he's doing the crying would feel empty and...stupid. Josh emotes well, whether he's being funny & lighthearted, or falling for the girl, or crying over his stupid father who doesn't get him, Josh does it all equally well.

The reason the "big scene" in Aurora Borealis worked so well is because I cared. I cared about Duncan. I cared about Ronald. I cared about the relationship between the two of them. If they'd opened the movie with that scene, it would've lost most of the emotional impact. It still would have been intense, but it wouldn't have turned the audience into a slobbering mess. Does that make sense at all?

So, yes, Josh does cry well. His tears never seem over-the-top or ridiculous. But I think singling out that one thing takes away from everything else that he does so well.

I think what separates Josh from MOST of the other actors working today, particularly the actors in his age bracket, is the total sincerity that he puts into his characters. There are only a handful of actors that I feel are totally sincere in everything they do, and I think that's what makes them unique and what draws people to their performances. But that's just my opinion.
I arrange with you
gabryjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread