Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria luisa (View Post)
Well, now we know what James Leeds looks like. Thanks for the instagram pics!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:24 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria luisa (View Post)

Thank for the pics!

I much rather have Josh with a beard. He is so much more good looking with it.

I guess we just have to wait untill he start shooting the affair for the beard to come back.

#dawsonwho"/>[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Elite Fan

Great pics both with and without!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll take him anyway I can get him, but he tends to take a better pic with the scruff.

Here's another fan pic. Hope y'all can see it. he has a silly look on his face, but still very cute.

This fan also asked him about The Affair:

Quote:
Just saw this incredible man in Children Of A Lesser God at the Berkshire Theatre Group..,,how lucky am I??? JOSHUA JACKSON is amazing°° I asked him when they were going to start filming again he said all his parts will be in Montauk in September

She was responding to a question, if it was worth seeing.
Quote:
Absolutely!! Don't miss it... I waited by the back door like everyone else!!! No too many people were there waiting I got his pic as he was about to go back into the theatre

He is such a nice guy

This is another comment by someone else.

Quote:
So young looking, I met him years ago when he was in theatre in the West End with Patrick Stewart .... fantastic on stage

icon credit: crash landing

Last edited by JJH85; 06-23-2017 at 08:15 AM
Old 06-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Passionate Fan

I thought they moved production of The Affair to LA?
Old 06-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Elite Fan

Maybe just the studio and recording work are being done in LA as opposed to New York and the location work is in Montauk. If Josh is only filming in Montauk in September maybe he isn't going to be in it much this season either. Unless they do block shooting of all his scenes for his episodes, but stretch it out over the whole season.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
Maybe just the studio and recording work are being done in LA as opposed to New York and the location work is in Montauk. If Josh is only filming in Montauk in September maybe he isn't going to be in it much this season either. Unless they do block shooting of all his scenes for his episodes, but stretch it out over the whole season.
That's my fear as well, that he won't be in a lot of episodes which will totally suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway1 (View Post)
I thought they moved production of The Affair to LA?
It was already mentioned that there would be filming in Montauk. I can't remember if it was Sarah Treem or Ruth Wilson that mentioned that. They are moving filming to LA, but there would have to be some Montauk scenes or it would look like a totally different show IMO.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Extreme Fan

They already filmed tons of interiors in NYC, they're just moving that to LA, I assume. Just because he's starting in Montauk doesn't mean he won't be in LA in October. We shouldn't get negative until we have to.

They've structured the filming to accommodate the other actors' schedules, there's no reason to start worrying that's not what they're doing now.

I promise to be extra negative when the Affair starts airing and we once again get NOAH NOAH NOAH.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy K (View Post)
They already filmed tons of interiors in NYC, they're just moving that to LA, I assume. Just because he's starting in Montauk doesn't mean he won't be in LA in October. We shouldn't get negative until we have to.

They've structured the filming to accommodate the other actors' schedules, there's no reason to start worrying that's not what they're doing now.

I promise to be extra negative when the Affair starts airing and we once again get NOAH NOAH NOAH.
I didn't want to be negative, I just reacted to what Josh said:

he said all his parts will be in Montauk in September

Old 06-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Extreme Fan

It's an off the cuff remark - he wasn't being interviewed and he's not exactly needing to precise in that moment. Parsing the words reported by a happy fan after his first live night at his current project seems less helpful.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy K (View Post)
It's an off the cuff remark - he wasn't being interviewed and he's not exactly needing to precise in that moment. Parsing the words reported by a happy fan after his first live night at his current project seems less helpful.
So true.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Extreme Fan

Move this to the General News if that makes more sense:

Review: ‘Children of a Lesser God’ @ BTF, 6/24/17 - Arts Talk

(The full review is subscriber only, but I managed to get it on my phone so, here it is: )
Review: "Children" portrayal is spellbinding
At Berkshire Theatre Group in Stockbridge

By Steve Barnes June 25, 2017

Lauren Ridloff is spellbinding as Sarah, the deaf woman at the center of the powerful and handsome new production of "Children of a Lesser God" that is launching at Berkshire Theatre Group this summer before a planned move to Broadway next spring.

While the marquee names attached to this version of Mark Medoff's 1979 drama may be acclaimed director Kenny Leon, who three years ago won a Tony Award for his revival of "A Raisin in the Sun," and TV actor Joshua Jackson ("The Affair," "Fringe," "Dawson's Creek") as Sarah's teacher and love interest, it is Ridloff who rightly deserves the most attention. Her Sarah is strong, independent, difficult at times; deaf since birth, she's forged a life on her own terms, refusing to learn to read lips, speak or otherwise make conventional adaptations expected of her to try to be "normal," as defined by the hearing world.

Although 26 when the play opens, Sarah is still at the residential school where she's been since childhood. She takes classes and is employed as a maid in the dorms, which allows her to work alone, with minimal communication required. Challenges, and promise, arrive in the form of Jackson as James, a hearing teacher, whose mission to teach Sarah to speak gets complicated when they fall in love and later marry. Sarah's safe, cocooned world is disrupted by her marriage and by a growing sense — raised in part by her longtime classmate and friend Orin (John McGinty, absolutely superb) — that the paternal, patronizing approach of the school is an insult to its students' autonomy and right to full, independent lives.

"I love you for having the strength to be yourself," James tells Sarah at the end of the first act. Whether he was being honest, with her and himself, becomes clearer later, when he accuses of her of being able to read lips but pretending not to out of obstinance, and of refusing to speak for the same reason. He says, "If you could stop seeing this speaking thing as a test of wills."

The drama of the second act builds in intensity, but its full emotional power is never realized because Jackson isn't completely convincing in his portrayal. He does yeoman's work as James, speaking an interpretation of nearly all of Sarah's sign language and signing throughout himself — there are also a pair of interpreters and a screen showing dialogue in front of one side of the stage — but we can't get a good bearing on James. The acting seems conflicted, not the character; James' mood changes feel dictated by the script, not the result of a rich, evolving mind, and even little matters prove bothersome for the audience, such as James' supposed fondness for classical music — as portrayed by Jackson, it's not believable.

Given the strength of the rest of the cast — including Kecia Lewis, formidable as Sarah's mother, and Tony winner Stephen Spinella as the headmaster — Jackson's difficulties create problems of rhythm and continuity. It's like watching a pas de sept with one dancer in Timberlands; he gets through it, albeit not with the grace of his fellow performers.

For all the masterfulness of Leon's staging, working on a gorgeous, abstract set by Derek McLane, under Mike Baldassari's impressive lighting, the production still feels incompletely worked out. References in the dialogue make the period seem the same as the original, in the late 1970s, but much of the incidental music is contemporary, for example. Further, Leon cast Ridloff, who is black, a fact that changes the texture of the central relationship, yet race is never mentioned nor acknowledged in any apparent way. Finally, the age of the plays shows. In terms of societal understanding of deafness, we're at a different place now than we were when "Children of a Lesser God" was written. Medoff's script is much more heavy-handed than "Tribes," by British playwright Nina Raines, which was staged last summer by Barrington Stage Company in a production that better explored the families and communities we're a part of, by birth and, later, voluntary association.

Audience reaction at the conclusion of Saturday's opening-night performance was rapturous. With work on the production and Jackson's performance, it could be deserved by the time the show gets to Broadway.

sbarnes@timesunion.com • 518-454-5489 • @Tablehopping • http://facebook.com/SteveBarnesFoodCritic

I hope there will be more reviews, I wonder if other critics found Josh the weak link.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Extreme Fan

That's a tough review. Critics have always been tough on him, in all of his plays, generally speaking.

He's had no formal training and most of the other actors are experienced stage actors. Kenny L and others must see something good in him, otherwise they wouldn't have offered him the job. Maybe that's the best way to look at it.

You've got a ticket and are going Sandy K? I hope a review like this doesn't ruin the experience for you. I hope you enjoy it because the few reviews I've seen from people who have gone, they have all enjoyed it immensely. The few that have mentioned Josh, seemed to have enjoyed his performance.

Last edited by aussiechic; 06-26-2017 at 05:49 AM
Old 06-26-2017, 01:26 AM
Elite Fan

Well it's only one review from the first night. It must be really tough doing a medium that you are not really at home with as well as learning and performing signing. I'm sure Josh will rise to the challenge and be more determined to make this a success.

It's great that is back up and running again!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:52 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiechic (View Post)
That's a tough review. Critics have always been tough on him, in all of his plays. Wouldn't surprise me if others felt the same.

He's had no formal training and most of the other actors are experienced stage actors. Kenny L and others must see something good in him, otherwise they wouldn't have offered him the job. Maybe that's the best way to look at it.

You've got a ticket and are going Sandy K? I hope a review like this doesn't ruin the experience for you. I hope you enjoy it because the few reviews I've seen from people who have gone, they have all enjoyed it immensely. The few that have mentioned Josh, seemed to have enjoyed his performance.
Yeah, there was a review of Smart People that similarly singled Josh out. But there were more reviews of Smart People that said he was good, too.

I do have a ticket and I am going! I was just joking to a friend at work that I hoped the reviews were good with all the money I'm spending, lol. But it sounds like it's a great play, and I'm seeing it in two weeks so I'm sure it will be even better.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread