Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
I also think they are all leads because they all have their stories, so i am very curious to understand why Lydia Diamond considers Josh's character as the lead.
Maybe because of the type of character and what he talks about.
It's definitely a very important role for Josh, anyway.
Maybe it's because he is considered the head liner which was mentioned in a previous article. I may not be using the proper terminology. I may have to go have a look for where that was said. I think it was the Josh interview.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 02-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the video, the pics and the articles about the play.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 AM
Obsessed Fan

The Menew saw Josh's play

MENEW ‏@MENEWmusic
Just saw #SmartPeople #OffBroadway #nyc... AMAZING!! #JoshuaJackson #MahershalaAli #AnneSon…

mii_mihosaw
Smart People at @2stnyc tonight. It was a really unique show. Tomorrow is opening night. must see it! Especially, #joshuajackson was fantastic. It was worth I came to see from Japan. #SmartPeople2ST #nyc #play
Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

How nice is that, that they supported him. Just another example of how Josh is so well liked by those he works with.

Also fantastic that the Play continues to get rave reviews.

Last edited by JJH85; 02-11-2016 at 08:24 AM
Old 02-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Obsessed Fan

Second Stage Theatre ‏@2STNYC
Wishing a very happy Opening to the entire #SmartPeople2ST team!

Old 02-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Obsessed Fan

It's good that New York Times just posted a massage on Facebook about "Smart People", right? I mean...Maybe we'll read a good review soon.

Joshua Jackson and Tessa Thompson in Lydia R. Diamond’s play "Smart People," opening tonight at Second Stage. (Sara Krulwich/The New York Times)

Old 02-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

Nicolette Robinson will see Josh's play tonight! She's so sweet

Nicolette Robinson ‏@NicoletteKloe
@VancityJax Happy Opening Night, sweet Josh! I'll be there @2STNYC tonight cheering you on! Can't wait, xx
#SmartPeople
Old 02-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Obsessed Fan

jovianzayne
Had the incredible pleasure of previewing the play #SmartPeople. Writer Lydia Diamond out did herself with this one. The depth and nuance of the language and conversation about race, family, friends and achievement is REAL. Don't get me started on this cast or director Kenny Leon...Superb!!! Show opens tonight, a must see! 🔑
#tbt #inspireonpurpose

Old 02-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Loving the Buzz, keep it coming.

Here's an article about the Music Video's Director Joshua Butler and the Band. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...tler_and_band/

Love the story about how they got their Band name. The Josh in this is the Director.

Quote:
Nathan: You even had a good answer for it! We started off playing in our parents' office in the house, and then we got kicked out after about 2 days. So then we move d- graduated- to the garage and we used to play above the loft of the garage. One day we decided to play downstairs, and we grew up on a Christmas tree farm and there were signs all over the garage. Behinds the drums there were 2 new signs, which overlapped each other and read MENEW.

Josh: One was upside down obviously.

Shade: We noticed it was an anagram, and thought it was cool.
And then there's this little tidbit.

Quote:
Q: Excited to see your interview on Extra. Any comments you would like to share about your "bromance" as referenced on MENEW'S website?

Shade: There was a bromance on our website?

Key: Imitating shade - We have a website?!

Key: Well there is a definitely bromance with the Joshes. It started with Josh Jackson staying up til 3 am laughing our asses off. We got to know Josh really well in LA - started at a hockey game.

Nathan: Started as hockey, now it's a really solid friendship.

Last edited by JJH85; 02-11-2016 at 05:38 PM
Old 02-12-2016, 03:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

I am reading reviews about Smart People. Some of them are good, but other different critics didn't like the play and the acting, josh's included
That's strange, considering that people keep saying that the play and the acting is amazing. Even different actors and people from the entertainment and theatre world that went to see the play, loved it and the actors. Not to mention that the best reviews come from the most important critics from TheWrap, Hollywood Reporter and Variety.
I hope they release some videos, because i really want to know why some critics didn't like it.

Last edited by jade86; 02-12-2016 at 04:22 AM
Old 02-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I am reading reviews about Smart People. Some of them are good, but other different critics didn't like the play and the acting, josh's included
That's strange, considering that people keep saying that the play and the acting is amazing. Even different actors and people from the entertainment and theatre world that went to see the play, loved it and the actors. Not to mention that the best reviews come from the most important critics from TheWrap, Hollywood Reporter and Variety.
I hope they release some videos, because i really want to know why some critics didn't like it.
Very important critics (Variety/Hollywood Report) loved the play:

Off Broadway Review: ‘Smart People’ with Joshua Jackson
Joshua Jackson (“The Affair”) is brashly endearing as Brian, a gifted neuro-scientist working on a study to prove that all white people are inherently racist.
‘Smart People’ Review: Joshua Jackson, Mahershala Ali Star | Variety

'Smart People': Theater Review
'Smart People': Theater Review - Hollywood Reporter

‘Smart People’ Theater Review: Joshua Jackson, Tessa Thomson Gets Caught in Racial Crossfire
Joshua Jackson and Tessa Thompson are very attractive performers. They manage to bring a relative cool to their portrayals even when they’re arguing. Playing the more alpha characters, Ali and Son come off as strident.
http://www.thewrap.com/smart-people-...ry=/y6Lc0iebuS
Old 02-12-2016, 06:32 AM
Obsessed Fan

This is what Hollywood Reporter say about Josh:

Quote:
Jackson strikes just the right balance between arrogance and sincerity in Brian, his cockiness slowly deflating as he slides from Harvard golden boy to pariah. While his role involves some repetition that could benefit from trimming, his final reckoning packs the most weight as he blurts out wounded statements that expose the deep-rooted sense of white privilege he tries to deny.
Another good review from NY Times critic: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/th...arts&smtyp=cur
Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
This is what Hollywood Reporter say about Josh:

Another good review from NY Times critic: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/th...arts&smtyp=cur
YAY!!!

So happy for Josh and he also looks like it!

More pics with the cast:

Editorial Photos, Celebrity, News, & Sports Images | Rex
Old 02-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Obsessed Fan

Nicolette loved the play

Nicolette Robinson @NicoletteKloe
Loved #SmartPeople @2STNYC. An important piece of theater-- go see it!! Congratulations again @VancityJax & @iamKENNYLEON
Old 02-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So far I think I've read all the reviews posted here. Most of them do give some positive and not so positive points of the Play, but I think that's all part of what Critics do. They can't always be one sided.

There was one review that didn't seem to like it very much and wasn't too glowing on Lydia and Kenny. I can't recall exactly what they said though. However, I think over all it hasn't fair too badly so far.

On another note, we are going to need a new Thread, so will get on that soon.

In the meantime, maybe we can move the discussion about the Reviews over to the General Movies and Roles Thread. http://www.fanforum.com/f30/josh-jac...read-63152233/

Last edited by JJH85; 02-12-2016 at 01:40 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread