Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Quote:
There’s a structural problem built into the play: Jackson’s James doesn’t just speak and sign his own dialogue; he also interprets and verbalizes what Ridloff’s Sarah is signing to him. So, for example, when Sarah signs the words “But you’re pitying me,’’ James says: “But I’m pitying you?’’ In terms of sheer memorization, this is an exceptional feat on Jackson’s part, but when repeated over and over, the effect is to drain momentum.
But how else are the hearing audience supposed to know what is being said? In film, subtitles could be used but in a live performance it has to be portrayed by the actors on stage - unless someone runs on with reading boards or a screen is used in the background, but that would be really silly.

Hope you really enjoy your time away Sandy K and get a chance to see a bit of your surroundings, but seeing Josh live will be the best treat of all.
LWS53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Elite Fan

That statement confused me a bit. I wasn't sure if it was meant as a compliment or an insult and it is possible they were somewhat impressed with the fact that Josh had to do all that, but then didn't like how it all came together.

I don't know, I'm still confused.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Loyal Fan

I think any criticism is aimed at the play itself, how the writer chose to do it. Josh s doing great work, but the critic finds the play creaky.
Sandy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy K (View Post)
I think any criticism is aimed at the play itself, how the writer chose to do it. Josh s doing great work, but the critic finds the play creaky.
That's kind of what I was thinking, but the fact that he mentioned Josh right away got me second guessing what the critic was trying to say.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

I think the critic found the actors portrayed their parts really well but he didn't like the way the play was put together in the first place. Remember critics see a lot of plays a year so tend to nit pick.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
I think the critic found the actors portrayed their parts really well but he didn't like the way the play was put together in the first place. Remember critics see a lot of plays a year so tend to nit pick.
Very good point about the nit picking.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:27 AM
Extreme Fan

Josh is so awesome that Vinnie LaRusso (Adam Banks) signs that fan's #96 Charlie Conway jersey for him, lol Knowing Vinnie he probably signed it "Josh Jackson."

Conway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Elite Fan

What event was this, we need details
Old 07-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Loyal Fan

PLAY!

The main thing Stockbridge and some neighboring towns lack is cell phone coverage. Barely a bar and sometimes nothing at all. So I ducked into a coffee shop that had free wifi! (the miracle offering in town) and found myself listening to three performers in another show here at the festival. One of them mentioned emailing "Josh" to invite him to a party and to bring "his cast" so presumably they meant Josh? It was kinda exciting and no one else I know will care except y'all here.

The weather has been sunny and then rainy and then overcast and then raining and then bright sun and by the time the play was over, it was pouring rain. So I did not wait by the stage door or anything, I hustled my butt out to walk home in my not weather appropriate sandals. So no pictures, no behind the scenes, sorry.

My seats for the play were on the right side (THIRD ROW!) which is a great place to sit, much of the action in the first act takes place on the right front of the stage. About half the action in the second act takes places on the left front and then back to the right side. Presumably if it goes to Broadway, and it should!!!, that's my seating advice. Right side of the theater.

There is no bare butt. There is a brief moment when Josh lowers his pants, like mooning someone, but not very low and he was wearing underwear for my performance.

Oh, also, he's amazingly fantastic so GOOD. He really is on stage 97% of the play and speaking at least 80%, either his own lines or interpreting for Lauren Ridloff's character. She is also super amazing. If the play goes to Broadway, I would expect her to be nominated for a Tony, she is so so good. There are parts where she is signing and no one interprets, but her meaning and anger is so clear.

But also Josh!! He's in tears in parts of the play, and definitely at the end, and it's so moving. I was not along in being so caught up what was happening, what he was doing and the relationship with Lauren Ridloff's character.

He does indeed look tall. His hair looks wild ish, which sort of suits. HE IS SO PRETTY CLOSE UP. And thud worthy. His voice is really that wonderful. And I always thinks he looks a little pudgy in pictures when he's wearing a tucked in button down, it is not so in real life.

Everyone loved the show, standing ovation at the end. Packed. I heard more than a few people mention the New York Time review.

I would lay odds there were other people there who came to see Josh specifically, I hope this find this board and offer more reviews. I have some pictures of outside the stage and my tickets and the stage before the show began, but none of the performance.

I spent a lot for this weekend, worth every penny!!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Elite Fan

OMG what great feedback. I love the description of the mood of the play and how the lights set a certain tone and it was great to hear that Lauren was able to communicate without words simply by her actions. I really like it when an actor/actress can do that. I find Josh can do that with just a look.

Josh in tears during the Play, I wonder how he does that. I can't help but picture the James Corden interview with Anna Faris where they talked about how they cry on camera, but live on stage would be a very hard thing to do.

Now on a more shallow note:

Quote:
He does indeed look tall. His hair looks wild ish, which sort of suits. HE IS SO PRETTY CLOSE UP. And thud worthy. His voice is really that wonderful. And I always thinks he looks a little pudgy in pictures when he's wearing a tucked in button down, it is not so in real life.
I knew he would look gorgeous in person, but it's still nice to hear right from a source. As far as the pudgy comment, it's like they say "the camera adds 10 pounds".
Old 07-09-2017, 01:52 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Thanks for the feedback Sandy. It's great to have honest comment and fantastic news that the play, and Josh's performance is a good as we all hoped. A pity about the weather, I hope your sandals are not ruined! It sounds like the weather was a bit 'British' - no wonder that part of the States is called New England.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Sounds like a wonderful day for you!! Lovely to hear about the play and how good josh is in it.. so lucky you got to see him in person :-)
Bianca09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:00 AM
Loyal Fan

He really is just so pretty in person. I could come around to the lack of scruff but with the blue lighting his eyes are so blue. To be perfectly shallow.

He's definitely in tears or tearing up in a few parts of the play and lots of kissing with Lauren and a few (sadly fully clothed) make outs. They have great chemistry and while Josh is in essentially the same blue pants for the whole play, Lauren has the prettiest outfits. (The same very nicely cut blue pants.)

Since there's no performance today I will be keeping my eyes out to see if he decides to see the same showing of Spider-Man as me, lol.

Later edit: The character, James Leeds, has some similarities to previous Josh roles. There's a glibness and joking manner and the character is shown to be quite intelligent. At the same time, it's not like he's playing some Pacey Peter part, but it's definitely a role that he makes funny and charming. I haven't watched the movie in ages and ages, but I bet it's nothing like William Hurt's performance.

Last edited by Sandy K; 07-09-2017 at 07:20 AM
Old 07-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for the lovely report. Glad you had a great time at the play. I hope the rest of your trip is fabulous as well.
aussiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Elite Fan

I see they added some of the quotes from recent articles.

Reply   Post New Thread