Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
As many times as I've seen Shutter, I never perceived that look to be evil. I'm going to have to watch it again, but I always felt at that beginning of the scene he was okay with their man handling, but it turned bad quick and his look was more one of guilt than evil. However, he still did not stop them, so I don't excuse what he did.
I watched that scene again. I also thought he was feeling a bit guilty in that moment, but the whole plan itself was miserable and he showed no remorse even when he let her drink the poisoned wine.
Then he saw his friends starting to abuse her, and if he was really feeling guilty he should have stopped them. Instead he let them doing their job and maybe he thought he was better than them because at least he didn't join them. But he watched them and he showed no remorse while the girl was screaming his name and begging him to save her. His look was cold, emotionless. Evil somehow.

Quote:
I'd be on board for an Anti-Hero role for Josh and I'd even be on board for a villain providing the villain wasn't creepy. I find creepy roles can turn me off of an actor if I'm not already a fan and I would hate for that to happen to Josh.
I think there is always a creepy nature in villains. Some of them are extremely creepy and they end up being not so interesting. Other villains prove to be a bit creepy but they catch the audience's attention because they are very well written and well played.
In that case i would like to see josh playing the villain.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:56 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

I think his character in Shutter was a coward and too scared of his so called friends and what they would say and think to stop them. He just went along with what they said and did to keep in with them, if he had really objected to what they were doing they would have turned on him, so he just let them do what they wanted so as not to lose face, and work of course. In the Oriental world losing face is really important!

A hateful horrible film where they all got their just desserts, except his poor wife who was the only innocent party of all of them.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
I think his character in Shutter was a coward and too scared of his so called friends and what they would say and think to stop them. He just went along with what they said and did to keep in with them, if he had really objected to what they were doing they would have turned on him, so he just let them do what they wanted so as not to lose face, and work of course. In the Oriental world losing face is really important!

A hateful horrible film where they all got their just desserts, except his poor wife who was the only innocent party of all of them.
I agree that Ben was a coward too, but sitting there and watching his friends (who were just focused on the girl and just let Ben do what he wanted) abusing that girl is devious!
He wasn't just coward. And like Jane said, he was able to live with that memory.

Last edited by jade86; 04-25-2016 at 03:19 PM
Old 04-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Elite Fan

Well he got his in the end too and so did the girl, she got to spend every moment with him. Lucky girl
Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
As many times as I've seen Shutter, I never perceived that look to be evil. I'm going to have to watch it again, but I always felt at that beginning of the scene he was okay with their man handling, but it turned bad quick and his look was more one of guilt than evil. However, he still did not stop them, so I don't excuse what he did.

You know Cursed has such great potential and even had a fairly strong cast (exception being Christina Ricci who I felt had horrible acting in it), but somewhere along the line they just couldn't bring it together properly. Sorry Kevin W. but you have definitely done much better than Cursed. However, I thought Josh was great in it.
re: Shutter, this is exactly the argument my friend and I had. She was like "he's a bad guy!" and I was expecting more overt evil actions rather than just being weak and standing by when bad stuff happened.

When I watched Cursed, I was kinda not impressed with Josh, his performance seemed like the character was on valium or something for most of the movie. When he's talked about feeling burned out with acting before the play in London w/Patrick Stewart, I always think of Cursed.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Elite Fan

I will admit it wasn't his best performance in Cursed, but it wasn't so bad and by comparison to a couple others in the movie, he was much better.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:28 PM
Extreme Fan

I didn't know where to put this but this is a really good blog entry about fans who get riled up when actors don't stick around to sign autographs. This response addressing the issue is wonderful.

Oh, You Thought Your Broadway Ticket Covered Meet & Greet?

I know Josh had fans who severely side eyed him because there were a few days where they didn't see him afterwards. I saw it and thought it was interesting.

Last edited by aussiechic; 04-26-2016 at 09:11 AM
Old 04-26-2016, 02:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

I rewatched that scene in "Shutter". We all know what the miserable plan was. Then things started to off hand. His friends were a bit drunk and started to abuse the girl, but they didn't force Ben to join them. Ben didn't join them not because he was feeling sorry for her but because she knew him and he was a coward in that moment. He chose to sit there and watch the entire scene and he wasn't feeling sorry for how his friends were threating the girl. It was like he was enjoying the scene.
Sometimes someone doesn't need to do big bad things to be evil. Subtle actions are often worst and what Ben did, in that case, was worst because he had a relationship with her and he knew she was in love with him but he didn't care.
Ben was a coward, miserable, evil man and a liar. He lied the first time he explained Jane what happened to the girl and then he even tried to play the resentful man in the last scene by putting the blame only on his friends and the "crazy" girl but, thanks god, his wife didn't believe him.
He was really the crazy one. In fact he ended up where he needed to be
Man.....I really enjoyed that movie and i have to thank Josh for that. He did a very good job with his character
Old 04-26-2016, 08:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

What about "Battle in Seattle?" I just found the whole movie on YT.
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwnVYzyAQoI

You can see Josh at 28:30. He was not among the main cast but he was amazing in his role!
Again, more anti-hero/villain roles for josh!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Elite Fan

That was just put up yesterday and you found it already. Way to go Jade. I actually own the movie, but have only seen it once. It was pretty good unfortunately that was Josh's only scene and we don't get to see his face but the movie was great.

The main guy, Martin Henderson is now on Grey's Anatomy.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I actually own the movie, but have only seen it once. It was pretty good unfortunately that was Josh's only scene and we don't get to see his face but the movie was great.
Well we get to see his eyes
Yes, he was only in that scene but it was intense and he was very very good!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
Well we get to see his eyes
Yes, he was only in that scene but it was intense and he was very very good!
Oh absolutely, he was great and it was a very powerful scene. Kudos to all of them in that scene.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
What about "Battle in Seattle?" I just found the whole movie on YT.
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwnVYzyAQoI

You can see Josh at 28:30. He was not among the main cast but he was amazing in his role!
Again, more anti-hero/villain roles for josh!
The fauxhawk!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway1 (View Post)
The fauxhawk!
He kind of rocked the fauxhawk though.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
He kind of rocked the fauxhawk though.
Agree!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread