Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Master Fan

The FRINGE Discussion Thread #15 - Renewed for a FIFTH & FINAL Season!

The FRINGE Discussion Thread

PREVIOUS DISCUSSION THREADS

* {1} {2} {3} {4} {5} {6} {7} {8} {9} {10} {11} {12} {13} {14} *

Season Four 2-Part Finale!

Part One Airs May 4th
Part Two Airs May 11th

And of course, the fantastic news that Fringe is renewed for a FIFTH & FINAL season coming this fall!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Supreme Fan

TFTNT Mandy! I love the way you've set up the older threads. So neat and tidy!

Oh my gosh! I can't tell what they're planning for the end of the season, but:

William Bell is alive!?!
DRJ wants to destroy both universes -- in order to create his own?
Peter is going to protect Olivia from her imminent demise!
Someone has a baby?
We see a different machine
Walter can read what looks like Observer script?

And so much more I can't process it all after only 2 viewings. Can't wait!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Extreme Fan

Fringe Season 5: 5 Things I Want From The Final Season � Spinoff Online – TV, Film, and Entertainment News Daily

Fringe Season 5: 5 Things I Want From The Final Season by Graeme McMillan

The announcement that Fringe has been renewed by Fox for one final season is great news – especially for those of us who were worried that this might’ve been the last year for the show, given the ratings – but with only thirteen episodes in the final season, it’ll be time to stop messing around and get down to business. Instead of five questions, here’re five things I want to see from Fringe: Season Five.

The Observers/Humanity War
Given the hints we’ve seen this year – especially last week’s “Letters of Transit” – there’s almost no way that Fringe‘s last year could pass without some showdown between the “good guys” and the time-traveling Observers. Given what we learned last week, it might be a showdown that would leave the Fringe team trapped in amber (or, of course, we might go back to 2036 and find out what happened next), but still: This is a plot thread we need some closure on.

Cortexephan Explained
And talking of long-running plot threads that need closure: We’ve had some payoff over the years about Olivia’s being part of a trial to create super powered children, but nowhere near enough. Are the twenty-seven Cortexephan kids that’ve been recruited by David Robert Jones all of the other subjects, and if not, where are the rest? How powerful is Olivia, anyway? And just how connected are the Cortexephan trials and their subjects to the twin ideas of David Robert Jones trying to create the next generation of humanity and the superpowered descendants of humans, the Observers? Of all the dangling plot threads, this feels like the one that, should we pull on it, could unravel the whole Fringe mystery. So, let’s pull.

(If nothing else, I’d like the sheer number of coincidences in the Fringe mythology to be addressed: Olivia not only turns out to be central to the survival of existence, but also happens to have been a test subject to create superhumans that was run by a scientist who then went on to cross between Earths creating the very threat that Olivia is important to the resolution of, and by the way, he’s also the same scientist that she’ll get out of a mental institution for an entirely different case altogether…? Really?)

Massive Dynamic
Less an unanswered question than a personal want, but: Massive Dynamic has been in the background of the series since Day One, but we’ve not really seen enough of the clearly-shady goings-on that constitute the corporation’s business. I don’t know if there’s going to be anything close to enough time to essentially start a new plot (unless this is already planned as part of the explanation of last week’s unexpected William Bell appearance?), but if there was any way to work in an expose of Massive Dynamic and Nina Sharpe somewhere during the last thirteen episodes, I have to admit that I’d love it…

The Pattern
Remember “The Pattern”? Maybe you don’t, if you joined the show after the second season, by which point the concept has essentially been dropped from the show. “The Pattern” was the name given to the unidentified weird science events caused by Walter crossing between universes the first time, that were (presumably) stopped with the creation of The Machine in season three, and the joining together of the two Earths. But, given that we’re heading towards the end, it’d be nice to see some tip of the hat – Not a wag of the finger – to the concept that formed the backbone of the first episodes of the series (If we can also get Mark Valley back for a cameo at some point, that’d be nice, too. What? I like symmetry and nostalgia, what can I say?).

A Happy Ending
…I also like happy endings. So sue me.

Here’s the thing: It’s not that I don’t think Fringe could get away with – or benefit from – a downbeat ending, or something more vague and/or cliffhanger-y; I suspect that last week’s episode was built partially from a desire to prepare for that very thing, in fact. But, as someone who’s been watching this show from the start… I want a happy ending. At this point, I want to see Peter and Olivia together, and I want Walter to have them as his family (Along with Astrid, too). I want Lincoln to find love with Fauxlivia. I want Broyles to finally have something to smile about, and not just in that grunting, “Well, I guess that’s something less to screw my day up” manner. I want Nina to… actually, I don’t really care about Nina that much (Sorry). But it’s there, the hope that by the end of the fifth season, we’ll actually have an ending and that it’ll be a positive one for the characters we’ve come attached to over the last five years. It may be old fashioned and uncynical and the opposite of good storytelling, but I find myself not caring: All I want, to quote Elliott Smith, is happiness for you and me. Buck the system, Fringe. Show the good guys actually winning for a change.

So here's my two cents, in regards to Broyles and Nina, I say they "get back together." In S2 they shared a kiss leading us viewers to believe they had a history together and then the writers just dropped it, so in the final season why not let them end up together (again).

Everyone . . . what would you like to see happen in S5???
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Master Fan

New "movie" style trailer for the finale! Reminder: Possible Spoilers ahead!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

Awesome! Thanks Mandy.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass1/2fullgal (View Post)
Fringe Season 5: 5 Things I Want From The Final Season � Spinoff Online – TV, Film, and Entertainment News Daily

Fringe Season 5: 5 Things I Want From The Final Season by Graeme McMillan

The announcement that Fringe has been renewed by Fox for one final season is great news – especially for those of us who were worried that this might’ve been the last year for the show, given the ratings – but with only thirteen episodes in the final season, it’ll be time to stop messing around and get down to business. Instead of five questions, here’re five things I want to see from Fringe: Season Five.

The Observers/Humanity War
Given the hints we’ve seen this year – especially last week’s “Letters of Transit” – there’s almost no way that Fringe‘s last year could pass without some showdown between the “good guys” and the time-traveling Observers. Given what we learned last week, it might be a showdown that would leave the Fringe team trapped in amber (or, of course, we might go back to 2036 and find out what happened next), but still: This is a plot thread we need some closure on.

Cortexephan Explained
And talking of long-running plot threads that need closure: We’ve had some payoff over the years about Olivia’s being part of a trial to create super powered children, but nowhere near enough. Are the twenty-seven Cortexephan kids that’ve been recruited by David Robert Jones all of the other subjects, and if not, where are the rest? How powerful is Olivia, anyway? And just how connected are the Cortexephan trials and their subjects to the twin ideas of David Robert Jones trying to create the next generation of humanity and the superpowered descendants of humans, the Observers? Of all the dangling plot threads, this feels like the one that, should we pull on it, could unravel the whole Fringe mystery. So, let’s pull.

(If nothing else, I’d like the sheer number of coincidences in the Fringe mythology to be addressed: Olivia not only turns out to be central to the survival of existence, but also happens to have been a test subject to create superhumans that was run by a scientist who then went on to cross between Earths creating the very threat that Olivia is important to the resolution of, and by the way, he’s also the same scientist that she’ll get out of a mental institution for an entirely different case altogether…? Really?)

Massive Dynamic
Less an unanswered question than a personal want, but: Massive Dynamic has been in the background of the series since Day One, but we’ve not really seen enough of the clearly-shady goings-on that constitute the corporation’s business. I don’t know if there’s going to be anything close to enough time to essentially start a new plot (unless this is already planned as part of the explanation of last week’s unexpected William Bell appearance?), but if there was any way to work in an expose of Massive Dynamic and Nina Sharpe somewhere during the last thirteen episodes, I have to admit that I’d love it…

The Pattern
Remember “The Pattern”? Maybe you don’t, if you joined the show after the second season, by which point the concept has essentially been dropped from the show. “The Pattern” was the name given to the unidentified weird science events caused by Walter crossing between universes the first time, that were (presumably) stopped with the creation of The Machine in season three, and the joining together of the two Earths. But, given that we’re heading towards the end, it’d be nice to see some tip of the hat – Not a wag of the finger – to the concept that formed the backbone of the first episodes of the series (If we can also get Mark Valley back for a cameo at some point, that’d be nice, too. What? I like symmetry and nostalgia, what can I say?).

A Happy Ending
…I also like happy endings. So sue me.

Here’s the thing: It’s not that I don’t think Fringe could get away with – or benefit from – a downbeat ending, or something more vague and/or cliffhanger-y; I suspect that last week’s episode was built partially from a desire to prepare for that very thing, in fact. But, as someone who’s been watching this show from the start… I want a happy ending. At this point, I want to see Peter and Olivia together, and I want Walter to have them as his family (Along with Astrid, too). I want Lincoln to find love with Fauxlivia. I want Broyles to finally have something to smile about, and not just in that grunting, “Well, I guess that’s something less to screw my day up” manner. I want Nina to… actually, I don’t really care about Nina that much (Sorry). But it’s there, the hope that by the end of the fifth season, we’ll actually have an ending and that it’ll be a positive one for the characters we’ve come attached to over the last five years. It may be old fashioned and uncynical and the opposite of good storytelling, but I find myself not caring: All I want, to quote Elliott Smith, is happiness for you and me. Buck the system, Fringe. Show the good guys actually winning for a change.
This guy thinks the series is all about Olivia, but he forgot how central and important was Peter to the resolution of the war between the two universes. Thanks to Peter the two worlds are at peace. I don't like the way he looks at Peter's character, only as olivia's partner. He's more than that.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Only two more Friday's of Fringe left for this season...I am already starting to go into withdrawl!

I am contemplating a cruise to Alaska that ends in Vancouver. I am trying to figure out when Fringe might be back filming (for its final season ) so that I can time it properly. (Yeah, like I'd be in the right place at the right time!)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Joel W. tweeted that they start filming S5 in July.

Last edited by Seersha; 05-02-2012 at 02:04 PM
Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the info^. I had better start planning this cruise and a week's free time in Vancouver!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Fan

That scene could really find a home in the gutter thread.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Loyal Fan

What that man can say with his eyes and his smile...

Has anyone heard if there will be a Fringe panel at Comic-Con 2012 in San Diego in July? I didn't see any mention of them on the site.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa47 (View Post)
Has anyone heard if there will be a Fringe panel at Comic-Con 2012 in San Diego in July? I didn't see any mention of them on the site.
Perhaps it's a little early yet to confirm, but a Fringe panel has been at ComicCon every year since 2008, prior to its premiere.

I would be very surprised if they didn't show for the final season.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Extreme Fan

If they start filming Season five in July there should be a panel you would think.After all they need to give the fans closure regarding this series and the panel would be the best way to say CHEERS and Thanks for your support.
Besides those panels are comic-con gold and I love all the goodness and hilarity that comes out of them.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seersha (View Post)
I was just coming over to post this. Josh is completely delicious in this clip No wonder Diane wants to wake up next to that every morning