Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
Yes, Sarah Treem said that.
They must have decided against it in the end, which is too bad.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
They must have decided against it in the end, which is too bad.
Yes, it is
Old 01-24-2017, 01:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I actually think that the cut scene happened after he was thrown into jail. Helen met Alison the same night Alison got the news about Cole being interrogated. Helen went at the Lobster Roll the day after.
OK, let´s see:

Helen wakes up, drives with kids to Montauk:

She talks to her parents and tells them about breakup with Dr. Vic

Then she goes with kids to the Lobster Roll for lunch:

Helen goes to pay and sees Cherry´s pies:

And at this moment Cole was supposed to come out :

Then Helen confesses at the family dinner that she killed Scotty:

then the panic-room scene:

then Helen escapes the panic room and goes to Cherry´s but is afraid to talk to her:

then she goes to the bar, meets Alison and finally learns the whole truth about Scotty´s death:

then Helen goes to Cherry´s house again but is again afraid to talk to her:

then (the next day?) Helen is back in NYC and goes to see Dr. Vic:

----
We see the same day in Montauk in Ep 8 in Cole/Alison´s POVs.

Alison goes to New Jersey to her "institution" while Cole has a relationship- talk with Oscar.

Then in Cole´s POV we have a time gap.

We don´t see what Cole´s doing after his talk with Oscar. I assume that Cole went to the Lobster Roll (and in the original version of this episode that´s when he met Helen there)

Then Alison comes back from New Jersey, straight to the Lobster Roll, and Cole and Alison have a fight about Alison´s new job :

After the fight while Cole goes home to talk to Luisa and gets arrested

Alison goes to the bar and meets Helen:

Then Alison is at home and learns about Cole´s trouble:

Then Alison goes to jail to see Cole:

---
I think Helen/Cole´s scene was supposed to be before Helen´s confession at dinner , before the Helen/Alison bar scene, before Cole´s arrest and before Cole/Alison´s jail scene.
That´s how I see it.

Last edited by nikki-jasmine; 01-24-2017 at 01:39 AM
Old 01-24-2017, 02:17 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-jasmine (View Post)
The lack of Cole this season is disappointing. But: maybe Josh asked for it. When he signed for this show in 2013 Cole wasn´t supposed to have his own POV. Maybe that´s exactly what Josh wanted - to work as little as possible on the show and have time for his family and for other things?
I don't agree with that theory at all. What actor would tell a producer, "Please cast me but I want to work as little as possible so I can spend time with my family and do other things."

Other actors have families too. Other actors want to do other extracurricular activities too. You either work or you don't. Being a premium cable show, it's only 10-12 episodes anyways compared to a typical 22 episode network TV show.

He worked a lot last year - after Season 2 (which he was shown more than Season 3), he followed that with Smart People, followed by his work on The Years of Living Dangerously.

Last edited by Conway1; 01-24-2017 at 02:28 AM
Old 01-24-2017, 04:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

"You either work or you don´t"?

I think, you can ask about certain things during the negotiations of your contract. If you have other responsibilities - business and/or family obligations - you can say so and ask for less working hours. If your boss is OK with that, then it´s possible, I think.

Also things can change during the filming, actors are humans, they get sick, they can break a leg, get into a car accident, they can die etc.

TV -actresses get pregnant and their on-screen time gets limited and/or body-doubles are used for their scenes- to give mothers-to-be time to rest.

I remember when J.Garner got pregnant between S4 and S5 of Alias, the executive producers (one of them was J.Pinkner btw) had to make a lot of changes:

1. they changed the whole story-line for S5: they wrote J.Garner´s pregnancy into the show and killed off one of the main characters
2. they made Jennifer´s action scenes less dangerous, they used a stunt-double more, they hired 2 new actors who took over a lot of screen-time and action scenes
3. they cut S5 ( only 17 instead of the usual 22 episodes), "Alias" went on several months hiatus due to Jennifer Garner's maternity leave
All these changes were not originally planned, but J.Pinkner &Bad Robot /ABC Network had to do it because their leading actress accidently got pregnant.

Family obligations, of course, is not a big deal when actor´s family is with him on the filming location. But if an actor is on filming location and his family is in a different state or in a different country/continent - that´s a bit different , I guess.

I remember when Hugh Dancy was filming "Deadline Galipolli" in Australia, it was extra mentioned in the media that he was given 2 weeks break, so he could visit his wife and son on a different location (his wife Claire Danes was filming Homeland in Africa at the time).
-----

I think when Josh signed his original contract, Cole was just a supporting character, who had a scene here and there, who didn´t have his own POV, whose screen-time was pretty limited. It was the same for Maura/Helen in S1.

Then fans demanded Cole/Helen´s POVs. And Maura wanted to have more screen-time and her own story-line. Sarah´s original plan was just Noah/Alison´s POVs, but she agreed to change it.

I´ve never heard that Josh wanted to have his own POV or more screen-time. At least Sarah and Josh have never mentioned it, as far as I can remember. Or maybe I´m wrong?

Josh has business obligations outside of his work on The Affair. As far as I know, one of those obligations is his involvement in businesses in California and Canada, he needs time to travel and to take care of it. Less time on The Affair gives him also more time and energy for other projects that he´s interested in, like you mentioned - "Smart People" and "Years".

Last edited by nikki-jasmine; 01-26-2017 at 04:12 AM
Old 01-24-2017, 05:18 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm tired of the insinuations Josh has some sekrit baby out there. I come here to talk about Josh and I'm certainly welcome to negative information about him, but insinuations and sly asides feel condescending and mean, in my opinion.

There's no sign in any of his interviews from s2 that Josh wanted less of a role to play. He seemed thrilled by the expanded opportunities. As to s3, putting the onus of a season of NOAH with some other things happening on anyone besides Sarah and the other writers strikes me as inconsistent with everything we've ever heard from Sarah. She wrote a bad season. She loves Noah so much she went overboard.

But I don't get the soap opera criticism. I'm not sure what the difference is between soap opera and drama? The show's always been about relationships and, yes, triangles.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Talking about business commitments Dominic West has a family business and he was in the show the most. I'm sure actors can juggle any commitments around to fit in with the show they are working on. Filming of The Affair only takes place for about 4 months so they have the rest of the year to deal with any business interests and see their family, as well as weekends and down time that they are not filming.

Sarah Treem said at the beginning of this season, it would be an in depth look at Noah and what had happened to make him the man he had become, which she did.

In season 4 I'm hoping for more of the other characters for some more of their background, especially Cole and Alison (when they were together) and some of Luisa, and her thoughts on sharing custody of Joanie, and Cole's continued involvement with Alison. I don't mean intimate involvement but just the impact Alison being around has an effect on Luisa.

As for Cole being a supporting character the 4 were advertised as leads so Josh and Maura were always meant to be in the thick of it.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway1 (View Post)
I don't agree with that theory at all. What actor would tell a producer, "Please cast me but I want to work as little as possible so I can spend time with my family and do other things."
I agree with you. Josh would just be fired. Just stop being an actor then and do something else
Old 01-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

I want season 4 being more about Cole's backstory, especially his relationship with his father, and possibly about the truth of why he didn't watch Gabriel.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:16 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Quote:
I want season 4 being more about Cole's backstory, especially his relationship with his father, and possibly about the truth of why he didn't watch Gabriel.
I'd really like that too, but I think if any of that is covered it will probably be in talking about it - perhaps Cole goes to therapy, which he may do to save his marriage to Luisa. Coming to terms with the past may be the only way to cope with the future. Maybe a few conversations with Cherry could be on the cards too.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
I'd really like that too, but I think if any of that is covered it will probably be in talking about it - perhaps Cole goes to therapy, which he may do to save his marriage to Luisa. Coming to terms with the past may be the only way to cope with the future. Maybe a few conversations with Cherry could be on the cards too.
In a way I kind of hope that doesn't happen because isn't that what we just went through with Noah. Except in Noah's case it was like a brand new story about him that wasn't even hinted at prior this season. To me it felt like an after thought. I mean in S1 we have Cole and Alison dealing with the guilt of their son dying and each of their roles in that and then all of sudden "poor Noah" had gone through the same thing, dealing with his role and guilt in his mother's death, really? It seemed like a push to get Noah some sympathy, so I wasn't overly impressed by that storyline at all. It was a bit much IMO, so really don't want that kind of storyline for Cole.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Maybe Cole will go to the same therapist as Noah and Helen when they were trying to make their marriage work - Remember Blair Brown in season 1? I'm sure she would jump at the chance to work with Josh again.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
Maybe Cole will go to the same therapist as Noah and Helen when they were trying to make their marriage work - Remember Blair Brown in season 1? I'm sure she would jump at the chance to work with Josh again.
She probably would.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

I think Noah's feeling of guilt has always been hinted now that i think about some things that happened in the first two seasons. It explains why he was so drawn to Alison (they were both broken by pain and guilt). It explains why he kept having flashes of the road and hitting someone before anything happened (it was his subconscious dealing with him thinking he killed his mom). It explains why in his book, the male character based off of him killed his lover because she had become a nuisance (like his mom had become to him). It explains why he was so insistent about confessing and going to jail over Scotty's death (he felt he should be punished for his mom's death).
Also that boat that showed up in Noah's hallucinations/dreams very often in season 2 had to do with his father because he was a painter and he painted the boat very often....and that boat was also next to the same lake Noah tried to kill himself. Also it's not coincidence that in season 2 finale Noah started to hallucinate after he surpassed that boat in Montauk next to the road. That is when Noah had to stop and asked Helen to drive.
If you think about all of this it all makes sense.

I also think that Cole is in Noah's same situation. He never dealt with traumatic events from his past and childhood....it's not just about Gabriel's death. Like Noah, he is just "pretending" to be ok and as long as Scotty and Alison were the crazy, messed up ones he managed to play the good, sane person. We'll see how long that will last. Do you remember what Alison told Cole in episode 8? "As long as i am crazy you must be sane". I doubt that sentence was just meant to be a joke. Season 4 may be about Cole's breakdown. I still think that writers didn't put the revelation about the Lockhart's family past with no reason. Cole's father has always been mentioned in season 1 and season 2.

Last edited by jade86; 01-24-2017 at 04:06 PM
Old 01-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Obsessed Fan

Closed Thread   Post New Thread