Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 AM
Obsessed Fan

I just saw the arrest/jail scene again!
I think the reason cole was in jail was not because he lied about his whereabouts but because Cole tried to rebel against the police, so he was sent in jail to calm him down and spend few hours there and then being released. This maybe explains why he was so calm! He would leave the jail anyway. Cole may have just told Alison and the police an excuse, even with no investigation, because the reason he was in jail was different. The detectives may still be after him but they can't arrest him because they can't prove he stabbed Noah because they didn't find the knife! And what cole said about where he was that night Noah got stabbed doesn't match with what the cameras captured.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
And what cole said about where he was that night Noah got stabbed doesn't match with what the cameras captured.
Is this really true though because they made a point of showing that Woodlawn is in New Jersey, so why does it not match?

Something else I thought about last night as far as Cole's feelings for Alison. Alison represents his past before all of the bad stuff happened, losing his son, losing Alison to Noah, losing the Ranch and losing Scotty. Maybe Cole, seeing Alison all better, is reminding him of the life they had together before all of the grief in his life. Is it right,, no but you can't help but wonder if that is part of the reason that all of a sudden Cole is gravitating toward Alison. He had 3 years to get to this stage, so was he really longing for her all that time or is seeing the "new and improved Alison" making him see their past when they were happy?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
Is this really true though because they made a point of showing that Woodlawn is in New Jersey, so why does it not match?
Here is a part of the transcript:

Quote:
Romero: Why do we have a picture of you at a tollbooth right after the George Washington Bridge, the evening of the stabbing? You used your E-ZPass. They keep records of stuff like that, so.

Stanton: And the GWB is about 40 minutes from Livingston University, but maybe you already knew that.

Yeah, if you don't come clean, you're about to become our number one suspect.
So..

The detectives have a damn PICTURE OF COLE after George Washington Bridge, 1 hour before the stabbing. So it was midnight, the detectives have proofs that Cole was entering the city that time. There is no way Cole was at Alison's institute!
Also, the detectives told Cole that if he didn't tell them where he was they would consider him a number 1 suspect, NOT THAT THEY WOULD HAVE ARRESTED HIM because they can't arrest him if they don't have real proofs that Cole stabbed Noah, yet. They need to find the knife first. Cole was arrested because of his wrong behaviour with the detectives.
So the whole jail scene makes sense to me. He spent just few hours there because of his behaviour. So he may have not told the police where he was that night and they let him go. He was at the montauk police station. He was not with the detectives who were working on the case! The montauk police was not working on the case, so they could release him.
Maybe he lied to Alison when he told her that he was at her institute because, yes, the institute was in NJ and cole was trying to find an alibi in Alison's presence even if it wasn't true. Alison would always believe him anyway. And when he came back home, he just told Luisa the same things (more or less) he told Alison.
In this case the detectives may still be after him, but they can't arrest him.

I think Cole lied.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:

Something else I thought about last night as far as Cole's feelings for Alison. Alison represents his past before all of the bad stuff happened, losing his son, losing Alison to Noah, losing the Ranch and losing Scotty. Maybe Cole, seeing Alison all better, is reminding him of the life they had together before all of the grief in his life. Is it right,, no but you can't help but wonder if that is part of the reason that all of a sudden Cole is gravitating toward Alison. He had 3 years to get to this stage, so was he really longing for her all that time or is seeing the "new and improved Alison" making him see their past when they were happy?
Also, we know that Cole carries so much guilt about his role in the death of Gabriel. The show has really concentrated on the affect to Alison because of her not taking him to hospital. They really haven't dealt with that with Cole on the show, until maybe now. We don't know what their life was before Gabriel died, but I'm guessing it was great? I think because Alison came back better, it's taking him back to when things were great with Alison and Gabriel. Now that they have Joanie, and he sees how Alison is better, he is hoping maybe that getting back with her, will take them back to before Gabriel died. Maybe it is his way of erasing all that happened to their relationship after their boy's death, since they have Joanie now.

He seemed to be happy with Luisa the few years since they got married. Yes, he never was able to get over Alison, but part of that is that he hasn't got over the death of Gabriel and what it did to their relationship. Seeing Alison now and better has just brought all that trauma back.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
The detectives have a damn PICTURE OF COLE after George Washington Bridge, 1 hour before the stabbing. So it was midnight, the detectives have proofs that Cole was entering the city that time. There is no way Cole was at Alison's institute!
Also, the detectives told Cole that if he didn't tell them where he was they would consider him a number 1 suspect, NOT THAT THEY WOULD HAVE ARRESTED HIM because they can't arrest him if they don't have real proofs that Cole stabbed Noah, yet. They need to find the knife first. Cole was arrested because of his wrong behaviour with the detectives.
So the whole jail scene makes sense to me. He spent just few hours there because of his behaviour. So he may have not told the police where he was that night and they let him go. He was at the montauk police station. He was not with the detectives who were working on the case! The montauk police was not working on the case, so they could release him.
Maybe he lied to Alison when he told her that he was at her institute because, yes, the institute was in NJ and cole was trying to find an alibi in Alison's presence even if it wasn't true. Alison would always believe him anyway. And when he came back home, he just told Luisa the same things (more or less) he told Alison.
In this case the detectives may still be after him, but they can't arrest him.

I think Cole lied.

You bring up a lot of good points, but I still don't think Cole was involved with the stabbing. He may have lied about his whereabouts, but I don't think he would have travelled 4 hours to try to kill Noah and not finish the job. I also think there would have been a confrontation before anything like that happened if Cole had planned to go to Noah in which case Noah would remember that confrontation. I don't think Cole did it.

Last edited by JJH85; 01-17-2017 at 08:04 PM
Old 01-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

Unfortunately I don't think we are ever going to have the really dark version of Cole that some of us wish for though that would be much more interesting for Josh to play. We've been told over and over that Cole is a 'good man' whose priority is to keep his family together no matter what, even if it means he goes to extreme lengths to do so - e.g. drug dealing. We've also been told he's not a liar. He withholds the truth sometimes. Season 4 may prove me wrong but I don't hold out hope for it. Maybe we'll get some delving into what makes him the man he is, his past, that would be good. As long as his story isn't just him being torn between his ex-wife and current wife and any new children he may have with Luisa. It probably will be though.

Last edited by escapism; 01-17-2017 at 11:50 PM
Old 01-18-2017, 02:57 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
You bring up a lot of good points, but I still don't think Cole was involved with the stabbing. He may have lied about his whereabouts, but I don't think he would have travelled 4 hours to try to kill Noah and not finish the job. I also think there would have been a confrontation before anything like that happened if Cole had planned to go to Noah in which case Noah would remember that confrontation. I don't think Cole did it.
I think Noah survived because Juliette found him. If she didn't find Noah he would be dead. Cole is not the tipe to plan a confrontation, because he doesn't express his feelings. If he wanted to stab Noah he would just do that. I never considered Cole as the one behind the stabbing, but after his romantic confession now i can't rule out that possibility. I am not even sure Noah stabbed himself anymore because 1) the police would found the knife somewhere on the floor 2) Noah is right-handed so he could not stab himself in that specific place at the left side of his neck, because it would be a very difficult to do. But even if Cole didn't stab Noah i think he lied to Alison about his whereabouts anyway. So, there must be something else he is hiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapism (View Post)
Unfortunately I don't think we are ever going to have the really dark version of Cole that some of us wish for though that would be much more interesting for Josh to play. We've been told over and over that Cole is a 'good man' whose priority is to keep his family together no matter what, even if it means he goes to extreme lengths to do so - e.g. drug dealing. We've also been told he's not a liar. He withholds the truth sometimes.
I think it's not really correct. Sarah said that Cole sees himself as a good man which doesn't mean he is actually a good man. She also said that Cole's attempt to see himself as a good man is still very problematic. Would you ever accept your mistakes and responsabilities if you only see yourself as a good person and a hero even if you make bad decisions? Everyone with the right amount of awareness would never see himself/herself as the hero. Cole is slowly showing his darker side and it's subtle. He says he is a good man but he cheated on Luisa already, he chose to stay with Luisa because he wants to hold his mask of the good guy and the hero but in truth he is just using Luisa because she is more convenient to him. He thinks to be a hero but he will keep being an ******* with her. He also wants to start a family with luisa when he clearly doesn't want another child with her. Also, he is proving to be a liar and he was about to bribe the town hall guy and that is objectively not good. Those are all subtle actions that make Cole definitely less than a good man. When things are subtle it's more interesting.

Last edited by jade86; 01-18-2017 at 03:27 AM
Old 01-18-2017, 05:21 AM
Loyal Fan

I don't think there's a twist here about Cole lying. He told the truth to Alison. He explained why he was there with his lie about why he went, they called the doctor or whatever happened, but Cole is cleared. They've answered the question of where he was, the end. Next episode and the episode after are all about Noah.

Either way, the only part of Cole's story we have left to see this season is Helen possibly confessing in the next ep. After that it's Noah all the way down.

It also makes no sense for Cole to stab Noah. He lashes out, we've seen it in the show, but it's been in response to the thing that happened right in front of him. He attacked Oscar right after Oscar said Alison had been cheating. He attacked Noah and the Solloways after Noah attacked Scotty/after Noah was so clearly drawn to Alison right in front of him, right after his conversation with Alison. Cole literally didn't know Noah was out of jail. If he knew, how did he find out about the place Noah moved into that night?

As a story for Cole, it never made sense to me that Cole would go after Noah at this point.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:14 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

From the look on Cole's face in the last episode he has made up him mind to stay with Luisa so as not to be seen as an A/hole, just like Alison said, but he is clearly not as passionate about her as he was with Alison. It seems funny that he is behaving in exactly the same way as Alison's mother said that Alison was behaving in the first season, when she opted for the easy safe path by marrying Cole and settling down, instead of going travelling and having adventures. Cole is staying with Luisa for the same reasons, and will come to regret it in later years. Perhaps he will have an affair with someone in the future (like Noah). It appears that all the characters are falling into the same traps as each other when it comes to relationships.

On the knife episode with Noah he was holding the knife in that hand because he was holding the dish mop in the other when he turned round quickly. The police in this case are so inept that the knife could have rolled under a cupboard and they wouldn't have noticed it. On screen Noah was definitely holding a knife when he was stabbed, whatever happened. But of course this is his pov so it may not be quite as we were shown!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Elite Fan

jESSiCA ‏@JLynn_XoXoX 13h
That face alone brought tears to my eyes. He just looks so damn miserable; you can't help but feel it too.
#TheAffair
#MiserableHero
#JJax

Old 01-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

As they say, every picture tells a story. When I go to bed tonight that picture will be in my head - perhaps I could cheer him up - in my dreams!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Elite Fan

Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

Great pics of the two characters with the most chemistry together.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
Great pics of the two characters with the most chemistry together.
As much as I hate to admit, but they do have chemistry. However, I still don't want them to end up together even though I'm starting to question the real love story behind The Affair.

In season 1 Sarah Treem mentioned that this was about a love story and everyone assumed it was Alison and Noah's love story, but I kind of feel like maybe it's more about Alison and Cole's story. I wonder if that's where S4 will take us and I wonder if Sarah had changed her mind on whose love story it was based on fan reaction.

I bought Season 2 yesterday (finally) and watched Disc one. Will watch Disc 2 today.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson

I may wait til it is finished and buy the box set altogether. The early seasons will be a lot fresher then and I can pick and choose what I see and when.

Looking forward to tomorrows episode.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread