Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 AM
  #16
Elite Fan

 
JJH85's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 44,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
I just watched episode 8. I liked it, especially Alison's POV. As for Cole i have mixed feelings. I think he was honest when he confessed Alison his feelings for her but was he really talking to Alison's doctor the night Noah was stabbed? He told the same thing to Luisa, but she doesn't believe him. She said "i think you lied". He didn't want to talk about that. I also suspect he lied.
I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth as to his whereabouts that night or the police would have checked his alibi before letting him go, but he did lie as to why he went there, so Luisa probably picked up on something in the tone of his voice about that lie.

I really enjoyed last night's episode and I think both POVs were awesome. The actress who played the young mother at Windland (Woodland??) was awesome and so believable. The Helen/Alison encounter was a bit weird, but I still liked it.

Cole (Josh) was awesome too, I was on the edge of my seat for most of his scenes, especially the one where he is talking to her in jail.

There were a lot of positive comments on Twitter and a bunch saying this was the best episode yet, so that was great to hear and I loved the Cole love in that article I posted.
__________________
FB / Twitter / Pinterest /
My love for Josh Jackson knows no bounds
JJH85 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 06:01 AM
  #17
Obsessed Fan

 
jade86's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth as to his whereabouts that night or the police would have checked his alibi before letting him go, but he did lie as to why he went there, so Luisa probably picked up on something in the tone of his voice about that lie.
Yes that is what i think too. He was probably there but not to visit Alison's doctor. I think he was able to lie to Alison because he knew she would believe him because she still loves him in her own way. He already lied to her when he told her he was home the night noah got stabbed. Luisa is just more perceptive. The whole explanation cole gave to her and the police really didn't make sense.
jade86 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 06:38 AM
  #18
Loyal Fan
 
Sandy K's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,501
Unlike the recapper, I thought the scene in the jail made sense. This was Cole's POV. He was unburdening himself. I have no doubt Cole really was at the doctor's. He really was trying to find out about Alison, though I bet he couldn't articulate why he went there until later.
Sandy K is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:15 AM
  #19
Obsessed Fan

 
jade86's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy K (View Post)
I have no doubt Cole really was at the doctor's. He really was trying to find out about Alison, though I bet he couldn't articulate why he went there until later.
That's the point. I am not sure he went to see Alison's doctor because he told her he couldn't tell the police he was in Woodlawn at Alison's institute, and his excuse doesn't make sense to me. Maybe he couldn't because he was not at Alison's institute, so the detectives could find it out. We don't know what Cole told the police at the end. I guess Alison left before that. Even if he was at Alison's institute, when did he go there? In the middle of the night? In the morning and spent the whole day there? Wouldn't the police ask him why he was in NJ at night? Because that was the main question and cole didn't answer. The detectives said that they caught Cole after George Washington bridge 1 hour before Noah's stabbing. If Cole was in Woodlawn, wouldn't the detectives know that? Since they were spying his whereabouts?
jade86 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 12:12 PM
  #20
Master Fan

 
LWS53's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,655
I don't think Cole had anything to do with Noah's stabbing - I still think he did it himself when he turned around quickly with the knife in his hand after hearing a noise behind him - although he possibly heard someone at the front door or on the stairs. Noah isn't used to living in an apartment block so wouldn't know how sound travels around them.

I think Cole is feeling so guilty about his feelings for Alison that he thinks anyone would see right through his visit to the hospital, so he kept it to himself. The reason why he was so tetchy with Alison at the building site was because of the building inspector's decision and didn't really have anything to do with what she thought it was.

We know from the past Cole never talks about what is really bothering him so the visit to the hospital could have been for many reasons. Maybe the doctor could only see him late at night because of patient commitments during the day, or maybe she was on night duty checking up on vulnerable patients.

All in all it was a great episode and I'm hoping to find out more of what Helen was really thinking about when she went to the bar and saw Alison. We will see what she talks to Cole about next week! The mystery of Noah's stabbing may be resolved next week too.
LWS53 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 01:32 PM
  #21
Obsessed Fan

 
jade86's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
I think Cole is feeling so guilty about his feelings for Alison that he thinks anyone would see right through his visit to the hospital, so he kept it to himself.
I could understand him if someone else asked him where he was that night, but lying to the detectives just for that reason is ridicolous to me.
jade86 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 02:07 PM
  #22
Master Fan

 
LWS53's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
I could understand him if someone else asked him where he was that night, but lying to the detectives just for that reason is ridicolous to me.
I think he was scared that Luisa would find out his reason behind the visit, but when he had to tell her he made up the lesser story of why he went there.
LWS53 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 PM
  #23
Elite Fan

 
JJH85's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 44,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
I think he was scared that Luisa would find out his reason behind the visit, but when he had to tell her he made up the lesser story of why he went there.
I think that's why Luisa said she thought Cole was lying, because if that's really why he went there then why did it keep it a secret and especially keep it a secret from her.


I saw a Tweet from Sarah Treem about the Helen/Alison meeting where she says that is not the end of that scene, so you know we will get Helen's POV of it.
__________________
FB / Twitter / Pinterest /
My love for Josh Jackson knows no bounds
JJH85 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 03:16 PM
  #24
Master Fan

 
LWS53's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Joshua Jackson
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,655
Cole must have come up with a credible story which checked out, or the detectives wouldn't have let him go. I wonder if it is the realms of possibility that Cole was having secret sessions with the doctor for himself when he saw how well Alison was doing after her sessions. Just a random thought.
LWS53 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 03:29 PM
  #25
Obsessed Fan

 
jade86's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,535
I think the only reason to just talk to Alison's doctor was too much simple to make it a big secret.
jade86 is offline  
Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 PM
  #26
Elite Fan

 
JJH85's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 44,894
Here's that Tweet from Sarah

Sarah Treem ‏@SarahTreem 20h
Here's a freebie Affair fans. This ain't the last time you'll see this scene. #AlisonandHelen #TheAffair


Quote:
Originally Posted by jade86 (View Post)
I think the only reason to just talk to Alison's doctor was too much simple to make it a big secret.
I think it's the guilt of why he went there. Luisa already thinks that Alison is taking over their lives, so to have Cole go see her Doctor may not have been something he wanted to share.


Here's a review from last night's episode. (adding articles as I find them)

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-a...e-8-review-308

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/affair-...mpaign=default

I like this excerpt
Quote:
And I really love Joshua Jackson’s portrayal of Cole. He’s so obviously in anguish, yet insists on such a strong public persona. My favorite portrayal this season by far.
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/01/13...=twitter_share

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2017/01/th...medium=twitter




__________________
FB / Twitter / Pinterest /
My love for Josh Jackson knows no bounds

Last edited by JJH85; 01-16-2017 at 06:41 PM
JJH85 is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 AM
  #27
Dedicated Fan
 
nikki-jasmine's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
I think he was scared that Luisa would find out his reason behind the visit, but when he had to tell her he made up the lesser story of why he went there.
Let´s take a look at Alison/Cole conversation:

Quote:
Alison: Look, Cole, we've basically known each other, like, our whole lives. And you're a lot of things, but you're not a liar. So just tell me. If you stabbed Noah, that -

Cole: Jesus Christ. No. I wasn't anywhere near the guy.

Alison: Then where were you that night?

Cole: I went up to Woodlawn. To talk to your doctor. Dr.Parry, right, that's her name?

Alison: Yeah. Why?

Cole: To talk about you. When you got back to Montauk, you seemed clearer. Seeing you, seeing you with Joanie, just brought a lot of thoughts back to me.

Alison: Well, what kind of thoughts?

Cole: About us.

Alison: Well, why did you need to see my doctor?

Cole: I needed her professional opinion, I guess. About how you are.

Alison: Are you kidding me? What, you, like, you needed permission?

Cole: Yeah.

Alison: Okay, and, uh, what did she say?

Cole: Nothing. She's a very ethical doctor.

Alison: Okay, wait, so, uh, this is the big secret that that you've been hiding? Well, tell the detectives that.

Cole: I can't. If I admit that I went up to Woodlawn, then I have to admit everything to everybody. Alison, I built this whole life, I'm building a whole house just to prove to everybody that I don't love you anymore, that I don't need you, that I don't want you, that I don't miss you. But the truth is that I do. I need you. And I want you and I miss you and I love you. And I'm tired of pretending that I don't.

Alison: So stop pretending.

Cole: I can't. 'Cause I'm not Noah Solloway. I am a good man. And I would have to be crazy to trust you after what you did to me, and I can't go down that rabbit hole again. I'm not gonna jeopardize everything that I've built.
This whole "I have to pretend because I want to look like a good man, I´m building a house just to prove to everybody that my official relationship is solid"- thing... why does it sound so familiar?

No, Cole, you´re not Noah, but... you say that you love Alison? If you need doctor´s opinion or Oscar´s opinion before you make a choice... Isn´t true love supposed to be unconditional? That whole "love is patient, love is kind, it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, never fails", in sickness and in health etc.?

Basically in E8 Cole decided to stay with a woman he doesn´t love but who is "safe". He is going to be deeply unhappy, BUT he can continue to play the "good guy".

Great.

Luisa deserves better than that, btw. If instead of pretending/playing the "good guy" Cole was just honest with her and just divorced her, she could find someone who will truly love her and she will be really happy.

But this show is not about happiness, is it? Instead Luisa and Cole will, I guess, try to start their own family - to make things even more complicated in S4.

Last edited by nikki-jasmine; 01-17-2017 at 03:04 AM
nikki-jasmine is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 04:32 AM
  #28
Elite Fan

 
JJH85's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 44,894
Cole may still love Alison, but I think he also realizes that she's not good for him. I think he misses his past with her, but it wouldn't be smart to be with her now.

A wise man once said "sometimes it's right to do the wrong thing" Maybe it's right for him to stay with Luisa. I think he loves her too and he admitted that he can't trust Alison and trust is important in a relationship. Yes we could argue the trust issue from Luisa's side, but this is more about Cole at the moment.
__________________
FB / Twitter / Pinterest /
My love for Josh Jackson knows no bounds

Last edited by JJH85; 01-17-2017 at 02:47 PM
JJH85 is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 04:43 AM
  #29
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-jasmine (View Post)
Basically in E8 Cole decided to stay with a woman he doesn´t love but who is "safe". He is going to be deeply unhappy, BUT he can continue to play the "good guy".

Great.

Luisa deserves better than that, btw. If instead of pretending/playing the "good guy" Cole was just honest with her and just divorced her, she could find someone who will truly love her and she will be really happy.

But this show is not about happiness, is it? Instead Luisa and Cole will, I guess, try to start their own family - to make things even more complicated in S4.
This was how I interpreted it too. Poor old Josh, put into yet another love triangle role. It would be good if he took a couple of drastically different roles if there are any on offer to him. He may just want to concentrate on having some time for himself and the activist stuff he's interested in though.
escapism is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 04:58 AM
  #30
Loyal Fan
 
Sandy K's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,501
My real question: which grandfather was named Gabriel? Did Alison and Cole name him after Cole's father??

As we have learned from the last two seasons, the entire family, including Cherry, basically put all head of family responsibilities on Cole from a very young age. Unlike Alison, he didn't feel he could collapse and flail when Gabriel died, thus the complete meltdown in season 2 with the fire. And as Oscar noted, Alison ruined Cole's life and at the same time he lost the family ranch (entirely Cherry's fault, but I'm sure Cole takes some of the blame on himself). So, since he burned down Alison's house, he basically rebuilt his life around Luisa and being a good man for her. Then his brother is killed the night he gets married. Which, despite having nothing to do with, I'm sure Cole blames himself a little.

We never saw the three years of Cole and Luisa being married and presumably pretty happy. Remember at the birthday party, Oscar says Cole is finally happy in Cole's POV. We know now he was already thinking about Alison romantically again. But he was putting it off.

I don't understand why we're not taking Cole at his word about exactly what he did that night. The very first thing we saw this season from Cole POV was him dreaming of sex with Alison. Probably not the first time. So he does something stupid and impulsive and tries to get permission from the dr who treated Alison and she, of course, tells him absolutely nothing and he goes home and feels stupid. And trapped.

We saw Cole telling the truth in his own POV to Alison, basically the only person he's unequivocally truthful with.

Also, Cole isn't Alison or Noah, he slept with Alison ONCE. Once is still bad and awful, but Alison and Noah had an affair for months and months.
Sandy K is offline  
Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Bookmarks


Forum Affiliates
Joshua Jackson Network, Dawsons Creeks Gifs, Pacey & Joey Daily
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2017.

Copyright © 1998-2017, Fan Forum.