Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Elite Fan

"Safe" (1.10) Episode Discussion

Episode 1.10: "Safe"

EXTRAORDINARY BANK ROBBERIES LINK UNEXPECTEDLY TO WALTER AND ENDANGER THE LIFE OF ONE OF THE TRIO ON "FRINGE" TUESDAY, DECEMBER 2, ON FOX

While investigating a series of bank robberies, Olivia, Walter and Peter are shocked to find one of the suspects inexplicably trapped inside a vault wall as if it solidified around him. Walter realizes that the high-tech thieves have figured out a way to defy the law of physics and that, much to his dismay, the crooks are after something of his. As the ongoing investigation unfolds and the mystery deepens, the perilous situation climaxes when a member of the trio is ambushed in the all-new "Safe" episode of FRINGE airing Tuesday, Dec. 2 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-110) (TV-14 L, V)

Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Elite Fan

That was definitely my favorite episode. I feel like we finally got some answers, but now we have even more questions. I'm too stoked over how good this episode was to give it a proper review yet.

I just want to get this straight, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. So Loeb pulled Mr. Jones, from the present time, out of his jail cell to Little Hill. And the reason he had to change his clothes was to blend in once he got to Little Hill? Right? I just want to make sure I have all the right information.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

^Yep, Loeb used Walter's Time Machine to get Mr. Jones to Little Hill. And I think you're right about the change of clothes.

This was my favorite episode, too. I really enjoyed all the continuity and learning more about everyone. Charlie got some great lines, too!

Peter and Olivia were awesome at the bar, just a great feel between the characters.

I'm really thinking Peter may have died at some point, with all these life-threatening things we keep hearing about in his past as a boy and he's actually a clone.

And Walter! I want to be mad at him for creating some of these situations with his inventions, but it's hard not to like him.

The show's really cooking now and we have to wait 6 weeks. But it looks like they'll rerun a few and we'll get to see "Safe" again probably the week before the new one airs.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Supreme Fan

I agree this was my favourite episode too. I mentioned in the JJ.net forum that many clues and answers converged in this episode. Thank goodness. I was getting frustrated with all the seemingly unrelated tidbits of information left hanging these last few weeks.

Peter and Olivia were fun, but Olivia certainly is keeping Peter at arm's length... "brother"?

Gotta go find out who found September this week. I completely missed him.

Why was Nina in London?
Is Mr. Jones going to be our version of Ben from "Lost"?
Why does Peter claim to not remember any childhood memories that Walter keeps bringing up?
Is Walter remembering his own childhood instead?
Does Peter not have any memories, or does he have a separate set of memories apart from Walter's musings?

Memory seems to play a big part in this show, what with Olivia confusing John's for her own, Walter making great efforts to remember anything from 20 years before, and Peter not remembering Walter's recollections of Peter's boyhood. Hmm.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think Mr. Jones might be William Bell. Belly has been "overseas" recently, Mr. Jones is about Walter's age, and he seems like he could fit in as Walter's lab partner...
I'm just glad they brought back his character, he seems deliciously villainous.

Also, I think Walter has been confusing his memories for Peter's memories just like Olivia has been with John's... maybe he put Peter in the tank to get his memories, in order to revive him? That's why Peter can't remember his own memories, and Walter thinks their his own.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Master Fan

Excellent epi.....much better than last week, IMO.
Anyone else laugh when they introduced time travel?
LOL......I didn't think thye would go there. Not that early in the show.
They must be careful. This non-science might look ridiculous soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightofstars (View Post)
I think Mr. Jones might be William Bell. Belly has been "overseas" recently, Mr. Jones is about Walter's age, and he seems like he could fit in as Walter's lab partner...
I'm just glad they brought back his character, he seems deliciously villainous.

Also, I think Walter has been confusing his memories for Peter's memories just like Olivia has been with John's... maybe he put Peter in the tank to get his memories, in order to revive him? That's why Peter can't remember his own memories, and Walter thinks their his own.
VERY interesting.......I think you might be right!
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
YESSS I think this is it, Carolina! This one seems to make the most sense to me. I guess we'll find out eventually if it's true or not.

Donna, September was in the very beginning of the episode, the first scene. He was on the security camera screen before they dis enabled it.

Broyles really shocked me this episode. I said this on the Broyles/Olivia thread, but I think MD is keeping him out of the loop. I think they used Bryoles to get Olivia to work with him and therefore indirectly have contact with Massive Dynamic. Broyles obviously doesn't know (if this is true) because of the call to Nina, and in the promo after the episode he was having the whole team look for her, meanwhile Loeb etc etc are involved in that team and they are the ones who took Olivia.

What I really want to know is, what is in John Scott's (well Olivia's) mind that Massive Dynamic, Loeb, and Mr. Jones want so badly?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightofstars (View Post)
I thought that myself. it would be awesome if Mr jones was william bell.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Addicted Fan

Wow, this was definitely my favourite episode till now. I've enjoyed all of them, but this really made the show rise up a level. Unfortunetly, I never have the time to post a comment, but after this wonderful episode I really wanted to.

The main reason I loved the epi was because it finally gave us some answers, instead of only raising questions and getting us confused and frustrated. I liked that finally they tied one episode to previous ones and continued one story arc.

I loved Olivia/Peter in the bar. The way Olivia got the info out of the barman was great and I loved seeing this side of her.. more relaxed and drinking shots. lol I loved the "Is that a dare?"
I love they that chose to stay in the bar hanging out together and doing magic tricks.

Oh, Peter being slightly bummed that she called him "brother" was great. And Olivia's need to classify him as such is interesting and says a lot about her fear of relationships.

Best Line: "Oh, you two want to use the room?" Oh Walter! You crack me up. I had to pause the epi so I could laugh and not miss anything. I love how Walter was so blunt and at the same time hinted at their potential future hook up.

It was very interesting that Olivia was kidnapped. I can't wait to find out how they get her back. I think this episode was really amazing. Great way to go into hiatus.

I also think Mr. Jones can be William Bell. And interesting idea about Peter having died before, although I don't think he's a clone (at least, I hope not), but there's definitely something fishy about Peter's medical past.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Oh, Peter being slightly bummed that she called him "brother" was great. And Olivia's need to classify him as such is interesting and says a lot about her fear of relationships.
It could be that. But I thought it was more along the lines of if she flirted with the bartender and was single, she could get more info out of him rather than if she acclaimed 'Rick' as her boyfriend.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killed the lights (View Post)
It could be that. But I thought it was more along the lines of if she flirted with the bartender and was single, she could get more info out of him rather than if she acclaimed 'Rick' as her boyfriend.
You're totally right. It was definietly the most effective way to get what she wanted and the one that made more sense and that's probably just it. I just thought the fact that Peter questioned it and Olivia shrugged it off made it seem more important than it originally was, and that's why I tried to (over)analyze it by a characters perspective.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, being Mr. Jones is a pretty ambiguous name to use. I wonder if he is William Bell or at least connected to him.

It seems that Agent Loeb knew that they had to rely on Dr. Bishop to get the "little hill" reference (not sure what the difference is where they try to orb him in), so that is another connection to Mr. Bell.

Even thought MD wanted Olivia's memory to tap into Agent Scott's, something tells me that they are working AGAINST Bell while he was 'out of town'. I don't think Nina wanted anything to happen to Olivia, either.

It was a great plot twist and gave us even more insight to the Bishop boys' past and potential future.

Love it!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Even thought MD wanted Olivia's memory to tap into Agent Scott's, something tells me that they are working AGAINST Bell while he was 'out of town'. I don't think Nina wanted anything to happen to Olivia, either.
I agree. Last night I probably would have hesitated, but watching it again today made me realize a few things. While Nina did say she wanted to access Olivia's memories, that's all we saw of it. And then she was in London when Bryoles called her. If she wanted to access Olivia's memories that badly, and if she did send her people to kidnap Olivia, then she would have been there for the process and not in London.

But what I still would like to know is why then would Mr. Jones want to access Olivia's memory? Unless he wanted John's memories as well. But I don't know ...
Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Master Fan

I was a little surprised by the fact that Olivia didn't suspect at all that these memories of the bad guy could possibly not have been her own..... I mean, sure, it felt real......but when she said "I met him at the Marines"......did Olivia Dunham actually go to the Marines? Did she?
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Supreme Fan

Olivia did have a connection with the Marines before she joined the FBI as an Interagency Liaison. In the Pilot she explains to Charlie that Broyles' antagonism toward her stems from her having put one of Broyles' friends away for having sexually assaulted three Marine privates.

I presumed from that comment that she had herself been in the Marines as some sort of investigator.