Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiechic (View Post)
It would of been great if they had expanded on the Peter and Astrid friendship that they had. Not romantically, but shown them connecting with each other on some level. They kind of touched on that with Astrid and Olivia at times and it would of been nice to have shown that with Peter as well.
I wish they had done more with their friendship too, because I think Jasika and Josh have lots of chemistry and their characters had a really nice dynamic. I also like that it was a more balanced relationship than probably any other on the show. Astrid was supportive of Peter in one of his lowest moment (remember the pie in the S2 finale), she helped him with Walter, risked her life to save him from a virus!, but he reciprocated nicely too. He trusted her completely, when it came to dealing with Walter and didn't hold it against her, when Walter was in peril while under her care. He'd bring her coffee (showing he cared and didn't treat her like a servant). Even in S4, when the supposed big friendship (in fact, a flop) was between Astrid and Olivia, and he was a stranger to her, he was the one who ran to her side in hospital, to give her comfort.

The reason I like their friendship is not because it involves Peter (or not just because of that ), it's because I adore Astrid and those little moments, when she was treated like a real friend and part of the family and not the token black friend, who is used to further the white protagonists' narrative, are my favorite Most of them happened with Peter (the rest with Walter) and they all felt natural and believable.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueUniverse (View Post)
I wish they had done more with their friendship too, because I think Jasika and Josh have lots of chemistry and their characters had a really nice dynamic. I also like that it was a more balanced relationship than probably any other on the show. Astrid was supportive of Peter in one of his lowest moment (remember the pie in the S2 finale), she helped him with Walter, risked her life to save him from a virus!, but he reciprocated nicely too. He trusted her completely, when it came to dealing with Walter and didn't hold it against her, when Walter was in peril while under her care. He'd bring her coffee (showing he cared and didn't treat her like a servant). Even in S4, when the supposed big friendship (in fact, a flop) was between Astrid and Olivia, and he was a stranger to her, he was the one who ran to her side in hospital, to give her comfort.

The reason I like their friendship is not because it involves Peter (or not just because of that ), it's because I adore Astrid and those little moments, when she was treated like a real friend and part of the family and not the token black friend, who is used to further the white protagonists' narrative, are my favorite Most of them happened with Peter (the rest with Walter) and they all felt natural and believable.
I thought they had great chemistry too. I had forgotten about some of the things they had done for each other. You made some good points.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Aaahh, Astrid would have been a great choice! :wub: Broyles was hot too. And September, don't forget him!

Great point about the very limited amount of people he could get close to. The job itself was limiting, but he also had to take care of Walter, which effectively brought down the number of young women he could have regular contact with to just two. And Astrid, while beautiful, friendly, warm and perfect in general, never showed romantic interest in him. Pity.
I always felt that Peter treated Astrid like he would a younger sister. Protective to some degree, but always aware of her and her part in the family dynamic like all the little things that you guys mentioned here. And don't forget the episode where Peter is about to go into the machine for the first time and he has a moment with everyone including Astrid and then has another tender moment with her when they hug. I love that scene.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

There seems to be quite a few unfinished threads of storyline for Season One that I've been noticing so far. I take it being a "Fringe Virgin" of sorts that some of character background stories are not fully explained in following seasons?.

I would love to know more about Peter Bishop's background but they seem not to have delved into that for some strange reason. SHAMEFUL really!. He seemed such a wild card and a rather naughty boy from all accounts!.
I must say that I do LOVE this series to bits!. There's so much going on in the show and I must say it's quite an introduction to the sci-fi genre. One which I am also new to.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin 13 (View Post)
There seems to be quite a few unfinished threads of storyline for Season One that I've been noticing so far. I take it being a "Fringe Virgin" of sorts that some of character background stories are not fully explained in following seasons?.

I would love to know more about Peter Bishop's background but they seem not to have delved into that for some strange reason. SHAMEFUL really!. He seemed such a wild card and a rather naughty boy from all accounts!.
I must say that I do LOVE this series to bits!. There's so much going on in the show and I must say it's quite an introduction to the sci-fi genre. One which I am also new to.
You are right in that there are some stories that they don't explore further, but what it gives you is a sense that Peter was all over the place emotionally and physically a since his mother's death. I gives us the realization that he has experienced a lot in life which kind of fits into how well rounded he is and is able to fit right in with the extraordinary situations that the Fringe team find themselves in. Then of course it gives him those connections that nobody else has.

I am so glad you are enjoying it especially since I believe it was me that recommended it to you. I always like to know when I recommend something that it is with merit.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
I always felt that Peter treated Astrid like he would a younger sister. Protective to some degree, but always aware of her and her part in the family dynamic like all the little things that you guys mentioned here. And don't forget the episode where Peter is about to go into the machine for the first time and he has a moment with everyone including Astrid and then has another tender moment with her when they hug. I love that scene.
Yes, the parts with Astrid before he goes into the machine were really nice. It cemented nicely how their relationship was.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
That's one of my favorite scenes of the entire show

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin 13 (View Post)

Unfortunately, that's exactly so.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Master Fan

And Peter's is the one that is the least explained. What was he doing before Olivia found him in Iraq? Why did Peter get himself arrested 7 times? Would've loved that info from Peter, but we never got it. They were going that way and then went another.
Co-Host of The Bazinga Cast|"You belong with me." Olivia to Peter
Thanks to hilery00 for the icon!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcountry37 (View Post)
And Peter's is the one that is the least explained. What was he doing before Olivia found him in Iraq? Why did Peter get himself arrested 7 times? Would've loved that info from Peter, but we never got it. They were going that way and then went another.
This is probably one of the biggest frustrations about this show - even for someone who hasn't seen it all yet - although I've gotten enough spoilers to realize this. Of all the characters, Peter seems to have this huge hole in his backstory - and I think the events of his past would have been so interesting to see.

~Heidi
Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
This is probably one of the biggest frustrations about this show - even for someone who hasn't seen it all yet - although I've gotten enough spoilers to realize this. Of all the characters, Peter seems to have this huge hole in his backstory - and I think the events of his past would have been so interesting to see.
I was a little disappointed too, but after S2 you kind of forget about it and just accept the current storyline. And I was okay with it after that.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Exactly and I also think it would of helped to explain why Peter did the things he did at times in the show.

I found it frustrating at times while watching, but even now, it annoys me.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Particularly when Walter's past, experiments, love life, friends, etc... were explored in great detail. I don't begrudge the fact that Walter was the writers' and producers' favorite, because he was the best character and far from boring (at least until S3, after that he was insufferable). However, that doesn't mean they had to ignore Peter's fascinating past the way they did. Here you had a man that traveled the whole world and had a ton of different adventures and they didn't even bother with him
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Particularly when Walter's past, experiments, love life, friends, etc... were explored in great detail. I don't begrudge the fact that Walter was the writers' and producers' favorite, because he was the best character and far from boring (at least until S3, after that he was insufferable). However, that doesn't mean they had to ignore Peter's fascinating past the way they did. Here you had a man that traveled the whole world and had a ton of different adventures and they didn't even bother with him

I don't begrudge them focusing so much on Walter and Olivia either. It's just frustrating when other characters are just as interesting, but the writers/producers don't see it that way. I'm thinking of Astrid in there with Peter.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

Yes, Astrid was overlooked big time...WAY MORE than Peter...by to discuss that...go to Jasika's thread. This is Josh's thread we need to talk Josh or Peter.

Peter became a focus in S4, which I was happy to see. I do think there could've been little things the writers could've done to show Peter's backstory better.

However, they do still make comic books (one was written by Josh) focused on the show. Just mentioning that because they show things the show didn't.
Co-Host of The Bazinga Cast|"You belong with me." Olivia to Peter
Thanks to hilery00 for the icon!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The latest pic of Josh on Set for The Affair.

Cropped it so we get to see just Josh.