Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
You bring up an excellent point here and one that I over looked completely - probably because I was just too darn busy drooling over Peter to go beyond that. However, I have a theory that even though Peter only recently found out about being from the other side, he spent years resenting his father (Walter) that when he began to feel something for him it was hard to turn that off completely. And then he meets his real father (Walternate) who lacks the compassion that Walter has, so it was easy for him to not find a connection with Walternate. I could probably go on, but I think you guys get the picture.
Explaining my views on on Walternate and Walter would make this post way too long, so I'll leave it for now Let's just say that I don't agree with the assessment that Walter = YAY! and Walternate = NAY!

It's true that Walternate wasn't the warmest person ever, but, as much as I love Peter, I think he was unfair to his real father by not giving him a chance and to his lovely mother, with whom he only spent a few hours. I believe that if he had stayed there, he would have done, what he ended up doing anyway: become the bridge between the two worlds.

I think my real issue is with the execution. The writers decided Olivia would stay in the AU and Peter would go back to Walter and they worked that plot, not those characters and motivations. The result is that everything looked contrived to me. I didn't buy Olivia's appalling love confession to Peter and I didn't buy his response to her. Up until that moment, I low-key shipped them, but that was the moment I jumped off that ship, never to look back.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueUniverse (View Post)
Explaining my views on on Walternate and Walter would make this post way too long, so I'll leave it for now Let's just say that I don't agree with the assessment that Walter = YAY! and Walternate = NAY!

It's true that Walternate wasn't the warmest person ever, but, as much as I love Peter, I think he was unfair to his real father by not giving him a chance and to his lovely mother, with whom he only spent a few hours. I believe that if he had stayed there, he would have done, what he ended up doing anyway: become the bridge between the two worlds.

I think my real issue is with the execution. The writers decided Olivia would stay in the AU and Peter would go back to Walter and they worked that plot, not those characters and motivations. The result is that everything looked contrived to me. I didn't buy Olivia's appalling love confession to Peter and I didn't buy his response to her. Up until that moment, I low-key shipped them, but that was the moment I jumped off that ship, never to look back.
Are admitting here that you didn't care for the Peter/Olivia relationship? I didn't realize that. It's okay, I was a take it or leave person until I came here and other members on got me excited about them with pics and such. I was and basically still am all about Josh/Peter than I am anything else.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 06-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Master Fan

I honestly don't know how you can overlook that Peter is so hopelessly in love with Olivia that he'd do anything to be with her...hence what happened with Fauxlivia. Fauxlivia used Peter's love for Olivia and it hurt him (and Olivia) drastically.

That's why Peter came back...nothing more. Because he wanted Olivia...and he made that clear in Marionette.

Olivia was trapped...she couldn't get home to Peter. You are overlooking that.

This is going OT, but I do think if the Olivia/Fauxlivia switch didn't happen that Peter and Olivia wouldn't happened 10,000,000,000,000 times sooner.

Back to Peter....it's beyond obvious he was in love with Olivia by the end of season 1.
Co-Host of The Bazinga Cast|"You belong with me." Olivia to Peter
Thanks to hilery00 for the icon!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

x
Old 06-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
Are admitting here that you didn't care for the Peter/Olivia relationship? I didn't realize that. It's okay, I was a take it or leave person until I came here and other members on got me excited about them with pics and such. I was and basically still am all about Josh/Peter than I am anything else.
Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcountry37 (View Post)
I honestly don't know how you can overlook that Peter is so hopelessly in love with Olivia that he'd do anything to be with her...hence what happened with Fauxlivia. Fauxlivia used Peter's love for Olivia and it hurt him (and Olivia) drastically.

That's why Peter came back...nothing more. Because he wanted Olivia...and he made that clear in Marionette.

Olivia was trapped...she couldn't get home to Peter. You are overlooking that.

This is going OT, but I do think if the Olivia/Fauxlivia switch didn't happen that Peter and Olivia wouldn't happened 10,000,000,000,000 times sooner.

Back to Peter....it's beyond obvious he was in love with Olivia by the end of season 1.
I don't think I'm overlooking anything I watched the entire show and I know what happened. I can appreciate some aspects of the Peter/Olivia relationship, but that doesn't mean I have to ship them. It doesn't upset me that they ended together, but I wasn't rooting for them either. I would have been more than happy if they had remained friends. Like I said, I shipped them a little in S2, but the finale soured that pairing to me and what came after that was just... bizarre.

When Peter fell in love with Olivia is open to interpretation. He started caring about her as a friend soon enough, but I don't think he fell in love until much later.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
When Peter fell in love with Olivia is open to interpretation. He started caring about her as a friend soon enough, but I don't think he fell in love until much later.
I think since Peter was willing to die or at least trust her enough to stay with her in bad dreams when the bomb was going to explode speaks for itself, Peter fell in love with Olivia very soon. But yeah it could be open to interpretation.
I know that because I’m an anomaly. I have moved things with my mind. I've lit things on fire. I’ve caught bullets midair. I've seen things that people only dream about. I've seen the seams between universes ripped apart, things that humans shouldn't see.
Icon - ?
"Eyes both brown and blue, virtuous yet lustful, neither Dark nor Light, yet both."
Old 06-30-2014, 06:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Regardless of when Peter fell in love with Olivia, he had a big heart and started caring for all of them sometime in S1 IMO.

I just loved the family dynamic of the show as well as the sci-fi side of it. And then of course there is the Josh eye candy (and ear candy)

Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Extreme Fan

Everybody has a great discussion going on. Good points being made by everyone.

I agree with AlexJ. Your feelings about someone, are layed out, when you risk going back to be with someone, where it could end badly for you. He wasn't going to let her deal with it all by herself.

Unfortunately, the writers were all over the shop with their relationship. Peter and Rachel (really?), plus other stuff where I just rolled by eyes. They forced it at times, where it would have been better for it to be more organic. There is a lot of different interpretations about their relationship, depending on how you see it.

Peter was written terribly at times, but in my mind there was never any doubt about how he lovingly cared for everybody from about the middle of season 1 onwards. He was willing to do anything to save the ones he loved.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiechic (View Post)
Everybody has a great discussion going on. Good points being made by everyone.

I agree with AlexJ. Your feelings about someone, are layed out, when you risk going back to be with someone, where it could end badly for you. He wasn't going to let her deal with it all by herself.

Unfortunately, the writers were all over the shop with their relationship. Peter and Rachel (really?), plus other stuff where I just rolled by eyes. They forced it at times, where it would have been better for it to be more organic. There is a lot of different interpretations about their relationship, depending on how you see it.

Peter was written terribly at times, but in my mind there was never any doubt about how he lovingly cared for everybody from about the middle of season 1 onwards. He was willing to do anything to save the ones he loved.
I also agree that he didn't risk his life for no reason. I'm not prepared to call it "being in love" though. By then, whether he admitted it to himself or not, he was invested in the Fringe team and it was the closest thing he had to a family, something he hadn't experienced for a long time. I'm pretty sure he would also have stayed behind for Walter or for Astrid.

The Rachel thing... I think he liked her a lot and would have tried a relationship if Olivia hadn't made it clear it was upsetting for her (I still don't know why) and if Rachel hadn't still been in a vulnerable situation. Had she been a more rounded character, maybe I would have rooted for a Peter/Rachel pairing, but, let's face it, she was a plot device to further Olivia's character.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The Rachel thing... I think he liked her a lot and would have tried a relationship if Olivia hadn't made it clear it was upsetting for her (I still don't know why) and if Rachel hadn't still been in a vulnerable situation. Had she been a more rounded character, maybe I would have rooted for a Peter/Rachel pairing, but, let's face it, she was a plot device to further Olivia's character.
I think they added the Rachel storyline to show the audience that Olivia might have feeling for Peter, whether to tease us and get a reaction or to show early on that there could possibly be something coming between them.

I wonder if anyone ever asked that question in an interview about why they chose to make it appear that there could be a Peter/Rachel relationship.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Peter was terribly disillusioned by family as a young boy and as a young man. He apparently distanced himself from his father the first chance he got. And then he spent years never getting close to anyone and certainly not having any family or close relationships.

But I think his capacity for caring was always there, and not just lying dormant - but in some way sort of frustrated - such that when he finally allowed himself to care again, and to grow close to people, it was incredibly strong and powerful.

In one aspect, I think it was inevitable that he would fall in love with Olivia. As I said above, I think he always had the capacity for great feeling, but never allowed himself to feel. Even though his work with Fringe helped to allow him to regain his feelings for his father and for others around him, it also severely limited the available people that he could get close to. Thus, once his ability to love was released, he basically had Olivia and Astrid - or maybe Broyles - to choose from.

~Heidi
Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Passionate Fan

I know that because I’m an anomaly. I have moved things with my mind. I've lit things on fire. I’ve caught bullets midair. I've seen things that people only dream about. I've seen the seams between universes ripped apart, things that humans shouldn't see.
Icon - ?
"Eyes both brown and blue, virtuous yet lustful, neither Dark nor Light, yet both."
Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Peter was terribly disillusioned by family as a young boy and as a young man. He apparently distanced himself from his father the first chance he got. And then he spent years never getting close to anyone and certainly not having any family or close relationships.

But I think his capacity for caring was always there, and not just lying dormant - but in some way sort of frustrated - such that when he finally allowed himself to care again, and to grow close to people, it was incredibly strong and powerful.

In one aspect, I think it was inevitable that he would fall in love with Olivia. As I said above, I think he always had the capacity for great feeling, but never allowed himself to feel. Even though his work with Fringe helped to allow him to regain his feelings for his father and for others around him, it also severely limited the available people that he could get close to. Thus, once his ability to love was released, he basically had Olivia and Astrid - or maybe Broyles - to choose from.
A nice take on things.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)

Aaahh, Astrid would have been a great choice! :wub: Broyles was hot too. And September, don't forget him!

Great point about the very limited amount of people he could get close to. The job itself was limiting, but he also had to take care of Walter, which effectively brought down the number of young women he could have regular contact with to just two. And Astrid, while beautiful, friendly, warm and perfect in general, never showed romantic interest in him. Pity.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Aaahh, Astrid would have been a great choice! :wub: Broyles was hot too. And September, don't forget him!

Great point about the very limited amount of people he could get close to. The job itself was limiting, but he also had to take care of Walter, which effectively brought down the number of young women he could have regular contact with to just two. And Astrid, while beautiful, friendly, warm and perfect in general, never showed romantic interest in him. Pity.
It would of been great if they had expanded on the Peter and Astrid friendship that they had. Not romantically, but shown them connecting with each other on some level. They kind of touched on that with Astrid and Olivia at times and it would of been nice to have shown that with Peter as well.