Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think you'll have to wait a bit

Maureen Ryan: 'Fringe' Book: The Show's New Chapter, Plus A Rare Chance To Snag Amber
Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

probably !
Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

'Fringe' secrets revealed: 'September's Notebook' authors discuss making the ultimate companion book | Inside TV | EW.com
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Book Review: Fringe: Septembers Notebook - Mania.com
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Fringe: Answering The Unanswered: An SFX#234 Preview

In the latest issue of SFX (#234, in the shops now) Fringe co-executive producer David Fury tries to answer some of the questions left dangling after the show’s final episode.

Here’s an extract from the interview in which he helps you get your head around the which timelines exist, and which don’t – and whether everything that happened in seasons one-three – and five – is now erased.

“Here is my take on it: we are still in the revised timeline where Peter died as a child. The dystopian future was the future of the timeline of season four, therefore Peter did die as a child in this timeline. However, we know he reappeared in this timeline in season four and became part of this family. Then Olivia regained the memory of the erased timeline, so she remembers seasons one through three even though she didn’t really experience it in the timeline. The same with Walter after Michael touches him in season five, so now Walter remembers it. So they have a shared memory of seasons one through three but the life they are continuing is the life presented in season four. As far as what happens when Walter and Michael step into the corridor to the future, our premise is that the change happens – and it’s the part that is inexplicable but go with it – once they step through Walter and September stop existing in the timeline. It’s not that they never existed. They still experience the events of season four and still have all the memories of the earlier seasons when the timeline hadn’t been erased, however they stop existing at the moment of the Invasion. It’s not like Walter died. Peter is just going to find Walter missing. He’s not going to be looking for September because he didn’t continue their relationship, just Walter did. When he looks for Walter, he just won’t be there because this corrects the paradox. It’s somewhat nebulous but that is the premise of what we did.”
Fringe: Answering The Unanswered: An SFX#234 Preview | SFX
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

May 7: Fringe Fans Are Going to Go Broke | more than one of everything

Fringe At Official Bad Robot Art Experience - Fringe Bloggers

Last edited by sofiab; 04-24-2013 at 02:48 PM
Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Bad Robot Art Exhibit Opens in L.A. | News Article | FEARnet
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Fringe The Complete Fifth and Final Season – Blu-ray Review

FRINGE: Jasika Nicole Reveals What You Didn’t See in the Series Finale

Gag Real

Last edited by @l3jandra; 05-06-2013 at 09:49 PM
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for all that, Betty

Aww, this is so sad and beautiful.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Loyal Fan

so sad and awesome but after all I have to say again she had the ring on in her last scene , why didn't the ring make it into the last ep .. this question will follow me

“What we’ve learned is about the power of love, though all of the science fiction and the hurdles we’ve had to go through, it’s the love.” - John Noble
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ That's the big question! But I think they're filming the scene from the park, so that's why she's wearing the ring.

I think there's a lot of scenes that didn't make it to the DVD but I hope we get to see them soon

Last edited by @l3jandra; 05-07-2013 at 10:06 PM
Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Exclusive: SFX Outtakes with Fringe Producers Alison Schapker and David Fury

I had the great honor of doing the only Fringe series post mortem with writer/producers Alison Schapker and David Fury for SFX Magazine Issue 234 (buy it here). Even with a nice multi-page spread I had a lot of leftover material and my lovely editors (Rich Edwards and Nick Setchfield) gave me the thumbs up to post everything we couldn’t fit into the magazine right here. There’s some great insight into the writing of the last season, answers to some fan questions and more.

Please DO NOT excerpt from this article without direct linking back to this story and DO NOT reproduce the interview on your site in its entirety. Thank you and enjoy….

Tara: As writers, what did you want to explore in S5 – either emotionally or mythology based?

David Fury: I think part of the challenge and the fun was finding opportunity to pay off so many things that had been built into the show’s mythology from the first season. In 13 episodes, we somehow had to sum up the entire series. Even though we were in this new world, we had to fold in the past. It was sort of fun but then it became a puzzle to think about which pieces of the past we felt we wanted to give more clarity to, or pay off, or take something dangling and acknowledge it. It’s a pleasure for fans when the past is brought back in, whether it’s old characters, old props, old ideas or old Fringe events; it becomes nostalgic and finding places for that to happen was probably the most fun we had.

Alison Schapker: I agree. It became so important: what was Olivia’s journey over the series, what was Peter and Walter’s journey, so we were very conscious of tying into the past, staying true to the past and finding satisfying conclusions of character. Hope, redemption, what it means to be human and why we spent five years on a journey with them, so we really wanted to pay that off for the audience and for ourselves.

It’s an embarrassment of riches to write for all of the actors and give the characters enough space to tell their stories. It was always a balancing act. We did our best to service all of our characters. It was tricky but our jobs. I always tried to honor Olivia and her position in the series. I think in season five while there were some places where Peter’s arc was in the fore, or Walter’s arc was in the fore, Olivia was always the rock of the family throughout.

Tara: How much of a headache was it writing all the various timeline arcs?

DF: The challenge of [seasons] four and five was each [year] it became undone and rebuilt again. Alison got to write the great season three stuff that really landed and me, I got to write things like, “Who are you?” “I’m Peter.” “I don’t know you!” That was tough. [Laughs]

Tara: How did you arc out season five and what were some key plots for your team?

AS: The shape of the season was laid out from very early on. Joel (Wyman) laid out the road map and in the second to the last episode we knew we were going to bring the characters from the alt-universe back. It was such an important piece and we loved those characters, so I knew that last hurrah was coming.

DF: I think Alison, in the course of the last 13, was always keeping track of Olivia. The season was broken up into three suites. Everybody had their own suite. Etta was sort of the first suite. We also knew that somewhere Olivia needed to be given her due, and thankfully when Alison wrote “Liberty” Olivia got to kick-ass like the character everyone loved.

Tara: Did it a surprise to either of you that the Observers turned out not to be benign, nice dudes?

DF: It certainly threw me quite a bit when we read “Letters of Transit” as it was our first experience with the Observers as anything but fairly benign. We had to rationalize and justify and supply the reasons for the Observers we knew on the show, and for the Observers that invaded. The distinction that made sense to us was that the Observers we had seen, to that point, were scientists from the future who were there to strictly observe, but we were being used – unbeknownst to them – as the reconnaissance party to provide information that allowed them to decide when they would invade. They were being used but weren’t aware they were being used. It also made sense that this was the way the scientists thought of us but there are more Observers than 12 scientists. And certainly with their world dying, it was the perfect opportunity to start in an earlier age and affect time without jeopardizing their own existence. So it was a transition, but eventually as we thought about it, it all made sense. Later when Joel hit upon the idea that emotions snuck into all of them, we said that September was somehow infected, but we showed that others were infected. December was developing feelings and Windmark developed hate and August helped get us there anyway.

Tara: Alison – what was your favorite season five script?

AS: I loved the episodes I got to write in season five. I also felt incredibly lucky because Joel, David and [writer/producer] Graham (Roland) would always build these great episodes. I have to say after a couple of years of not always getting that it was so much fun! In “The Bullet that Saved the World,” it was devastating to have Etta die but it turned the entire story so that episode was super special to me. Georgina Haig was great and getting to play that intensity of emotion was awesome.

Oliva’s soul-searching episode,’ The Human Kind” with the seer Simone (Jill Scott), was incredibly interesting. How do you deal with grief if you are Olivia when she has such a hard time believing?

And then my writing partner [Monica Breen] and I started in season three and the first episode we wrote was “The Plateau” where we really got to flesh out the characters of (B)Olivia and Lincoln, so a couple years later in “Liberty” writing the last time we peek in on those characters was also a blast. What I’m going to take from season five was the opportunity to write some of the pivotal episodes.

Tara: So there was no choosing episodes in the last season?

AS: No, it was only the four of us in the last season. We had our schedule shut down from an eight day shoot to a seven day shoot so turnaround was incredibly tight. It really became a group effort. Although we knew which episodes would have our names on it, every single episode we all contributed to, and wrote. It really was a collaborative effort. I had as much fun helping other writers with their episodes. It was probably the most collaborative staff I had ever been on.

Tara: David what was your favorite season five episode?

DF: To be perfectly honest, this last season I relied much more heavily on the other writers. I didn’t write a lot of my episodes. We gang-banged a bunch of episodes but in mine, I didn’t bring most to the table and I’m grateful for that. I will say in “Through the Looking Glass and Walter Found There” it was a story that didn’t come from the mapped out season but more out of a morbid desire of what I wanted to do in terms of being more playful and breaking the mold of the treasure hunt for the tapes. Part of the engineering of season five was that we were going to shoot a lot of things on video because our budget had been slashed but the tapes proved very difficult to find the opportunities except for Walter explaining things in one scene or one act. We needed more so constructing an episode with the desire of shooting Walter wandering around with a video camera throughout most of the episode was something I helped carry, and helped conceive, and got to a place where it was a very fun episode in a season that wasn’t always very fun. I felt I could play a little bit. I also appreciated being part of the writing of the death of Nina later. It was very powerful. We knew she was dying and something we mapped out very early, so I wasn’t surprised. I’m proud I got to be part of that and gave Blair (Brown) this great finale for her character.

Tara: A fan asked “If the Observers could get “Over There” pretty easily, why didn’t invade them?”

AS: I think the Observers considered multiple universes and timelines in terms of when would be the optimal time to attack and succeed. I think the understanding I was working under was that they had specifically chosen the timeline and Over There were lucky for whatever reason, maybe their technology was more advanced so they would be able to fight off the Observers, etc.

DF: You are absolutely right and I’ll just take it one step further. We only show two universes on Fringe but the whole premise is that we live in an infinite multi-verse. My belief is the Observers did take over many, many universes, they just didn’t take over the one we have been visiting. I’m imagining they took over our universe and others that they felt were vulnerable but in this particular case, Over There, the Observers felt they would have more push back and would have a harder time maintaining their hold.

Tara: Another fan asked, “Was Henrietta’s name Peter’s way of honoring his erased son?”

DF: It should be understood that Henrietta’s name was created outside of our purview. I think the thinking was that Peter learned in season four from September from going through his mind that he had a child named Henry. In this timeline that is unrelated and Henry doesn’t exist, but I guess he wanted to honor the memory that he had another child. When he was having a daughter he thought about the name Henrietta. It’s how I see it but our dear showrunners may have another idea.

Tara: A fan wanted to know “Where was Olivia’s wedding ring?” in season five.

AS: I wish we had that level of control. But in some degree the actors are interpreting their characters and what they would do, wear and not wear. I know Josh (Jackson) has specific ideas about how the wedding ring was functioning for his character, and Anna (Torv) had hers. I don’t have another answer to that except on that level.

DF: I agree, it really fell to the actors to recognize they should be wearing their rings. I know Josh did, and I’m sure Anna did at some point decide on when to take it off. What she had in mind, she didn’t necessarily share with us but she made decisions. At one point, we also played around with Peter and Olivia having great difficulty and being a little bit estranged. We went away from that but I don’t know if any of that came into play and whether that came into plays with the rings.
Exclusive: SFX Outtakes with Fringe Producers Alison Schapker and David Fury | Tara Bennett
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

2013 Cryptozoic Fringe Seasons 3 and 4 Checklist, Set Info, Boxes, More

Book Review: 'Fringe: The Zodiac Paradox' | Geek Smash