Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2020, 02:09 PM
Addicted Fan

Classic Fringe #1: A Historical Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetuned (View Post)
Honestly the obviously outdated electronics they used didn’t bother me too much as the scenes between Mulder/scully and the monster of the week stuff is so memorable

It’ll be interesting to see how Fringe holds up a decade from now
I believe "Fringe" will stand the test of time like the other sci-fi series have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
TXF may also suffer from being a bit dated. They had a lot of technology in their everyday scenes - computers and cell phones and such - that are old enough to be obviously from pre-Y2K. Ironically, they were most likely doing it to give the show a more futuristic, "science-y" feel. As those technologies have advanced, having things like old IBM dual-disk computers and flip phones scattered throughout the episodes tends to make people think the show is funny. Fringe has tech, too, but it's not as pervasive. Mulder had his old-fashioned cell phone practically glued to his ear.
If the writing is good, viewers will overlook the outdated electronics.

"The Twilight Zone" and "Dark Shadows" are prime examples of this.

However unfortunately, I do think future viewers of "The X-Files" will find those old IBM dual-disk computers and flip phones scattered throughout the episodes to be funny.

However, I believe they will also take into consideration that this was a state-of-the-art series for the era in which it aired.
Ironhorse25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Classic Fringe #1: A Historical Perspective

From August 29, 2019: 'Angel Has Fallen' Star Lance Reddick on 'John Wick,' 'Lost' Disappointment and Nearly Losing 'The Wire'

When the actor took a role on 'Fringe,' he did not realize it'd result in him being killed off in 'Lost': "If I think about it too much, I’ll get pissed off."

Parental Discretion Advised:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ntment-1235477
Ironhorse25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse25 (View Post)
I believe "Fringe" will stand the test of time like the other sci-fi series have.

If the writing is good, viewers will overlook the outdated electronics.

"The Twilight Zone" and "Dark Shadows" are prime examples of this.

However unfortunately, I do think future viewers of "The X-Files" will find those old IBM dual-disk computers and flip phones scattered throughout the episodes to be funny.

However, I believe they will also take into consideration that this was a state-of-the-art series for the era in which it aired.
People who truly appreciate the art of film and television can see past any archaic-seeming techniques or settings and admire great works based on the time they were made. Fringe will stand up for it's excellence to those people. Folks who are only impressed by the latest special effects or most current settings miss out on some amazing work.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread