Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

5x09 - Black Blotter - Episode Discussion

Episode 5x09 – Black Blotter

Original Air Date – December 14th 2012

SYNOPSIS

WALTER GOES IN SEARCH OF ANSWERS

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14, ON FOX

In attempt to recall a plan to defeat the Observers, Walter takes an LSD trip down memory lane. Meanwhile, Peter and Olivia trace
a mysterious signal to the woods, where they come upon a grisly scene in the all-new “Black Blotter”
episode of FRINGE airing Friday, Dec. 14 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). (FR-509) (TV-14 L, V)

CAST

Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop;
Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee

GUEST STARS

Michael Kopsa as Windmark

PROMOTIONAL PICTURES

PROMOS & SNEAK PEEKS

Fringe Preview 509 "Black Blotter"
FRINGE - Radio Waves from "Black Blotter"
FRINGE - Walter's Trip from "Black Blotter"
FRINGE - Transmissions in the Night from "Black Blotter"

Last edited by sofiab; 12-21-2012 at 01:47 PM
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What I liked about this episode:

- Seeing Carla Warren and Nina.
- The cartoon was so unexpected, but, well, Fringe is not afraid of taking risks.
- Olivia and Peter with Michael, it gave me warm feelings imagining them with Etta.
- Olivia smiling at Michael.
- Sam Weiss mention.
- The green fairy had a red alternate (foreshadowing much? )

What bugged me:

- That everything is so slow, only in the last minutes does something happen.
- Everything Walter related is so confusing and it doesn't make any sense to me.

I really hope that now they have Michael, we will finally see something happen; so far I have the feeling that Etta's death was the only important thing that happened.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Walters Tripping bringing back 60's psychedelic music From the "Pusher Man" by Steppenwolf from "Easy Rider" 1969 movie, to "Hurdy Gurdy Man" Donovan..

peter and Olivia had there nice moments ..finding the boy the observer boy was a big push towards the ending the series .

Walter flashback while tripping was interesting as, perhaps i forgot ,his wife who died in fire .

glad there is no real delay or lul in episodes ...

This episode was more about Olivia peter Walter astrid past present and future, getting away form weeks of observer storyline
Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

I really loved the episode!
That said i'm not sure peter has completely came back to normal. The first minutes of the episode are pretty clear. He still can't sleep, and has headaches like 5.07, and he also seemed to freeze. Please, don't tell me the brain is came back to his normal function because if you make a show like fringe based on scientific and medical explanations and you can't make such a bad mistake about a demaged brain that magically recovers itself. It's impossible!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Obsessed Fan

I really loved the episode!
That said i'm not sure peter has completely came back to normal. The first minutes of the episode are pretty clear. He still can't sleep, and has headaches like 5.07, and he also seemed to freeze. Please, don't tell me the brain is came back to his normal function because if you make a show like fringe based on scientific and medical explanations you can't make such a bad mistake about a demaged brain that magically recovers itself. It's impossible! If writers are smart enought they must show us the consequences of Peter's decisions and what kind of damages the tech has done to him.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Bumping this up for the rewatch

~Heidi
Old 11-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Elite Fan

I love looking back to the old posts that were happening as the episodes first aired to get an idea how the show was perceived before the events played out. The first time I saw it I was just enjoying the ride and the adventures that were being played out as to me the journey was more enjoyable than finding out where it was going.

By the time I got the DVDs of the fifth season I was pretty much spoiled as to where it was going but I still enjoyed the excellent acting and storytelling and the individual adventures.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

In some ways I'm jealous of you lot who know this show backwards and forwards - and I'm looking forward to going through all five seasons again and I can definitely see myself watching the whole thing through several times.

On the other hand, this has been such an amazing ride, and I cannot begin to explain how wonderful it's been to enjoy this discovery with you all. I don't think I would have become nearly as invested in Fringe if I had simply binge-watched it on my own.

So once again, and before I get all maudlin (because I really am getting emotional thinking that next week all this comes to an end), THANK YOU ALL so much for letting a newbie share your rewatch. I really appreciate how you've all avoided spoiling things while answering questions and sharing your observations. You've been wonderful and you can all pat yourself on the back for indoctrinated another fan!

~Heidi
Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
In some ways I'm jealous of you lot who know this show backwards and forwards - and I'm looking forward to going through all five seasons again and I can definitely see myself watching the whole thing through several times.

On the other hand, this has been such an amazing ride, and I cannot begin to explain how wonderful it's been to enjoy this discovery with you all. I don't think I would have become nearly as invested in Fringe if I had simply binge-watched it on my own.

So once again, and before I get all maudlin (because I really am getting emotional thinking that next week all this comes to an end), THANK YOU ALL so much for letting a newbie share your rewatch. I really appreciate how you've all avoided spoiling things while answering questions and sharing your observations. You've been wonderful and you can all pat yourself on the back for indoctrinated another fan!
Well I know how invested you are/have been by the work you've put in to this board. You've really brought it back to life and I hope you will continue to do so after the re-watch is complete. We will have to come up with some other ideas to keep the momentum going. You are a great moderator and have worked hard to keep the threads going in between re-watches.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm pushing play - and so is Walter!

EDIT - I wonder what Walter is actually seeing when he looks at Astrid's hair?

~Heidi
Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've already pushed play and am enjoying the view of Peter laying in bed.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm pushing play - and so is Walter!

EDIT - I wonder what Walter is actually seeing when he looks at Astrid's hair?
I think I'm caught up now. Walter is talking to Peter about Carla Warren and they are all talking about the radio message. Poor Walter is not quite himself.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
I've already pushed play and am enjoying the view of Peter laying in bed.
I suppose sleeping accommodations in the lab are pretty thin, but I really wonder why Peter and Olivia are sleeping apart. You would think they could find some way to push those beds together.

~Heidi
Old 11-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I suppose sleeping accommodations in the lab are pretty thin, but I really wonder why Peter and Olivia are sleeping apart. You would think they could find some way to push those beds together.
Well Peter is still recovering from his head self surgery so maybe they will when he is recovered. We have to imagine this will happen in the next few days.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I thought the same thing when I saw Walter's big double bed, but I guess saving the World comes above cuddling and there is that whole recovering thing.

Ugh, my sister called on her way to my house and she wanted to talk and I was trying to get her off the phone without admitting why

icon credit: crash landing