Fan Forum Hero

4x20 "Worlds Apart" - Episode Discussion

Episode 4x20 – Worlds Apart

Original Air Date – April 27th 2012

SYNOPSIS

Fringe - Episode 4.20 - Worlds Apart - Press Release

--"FRINGE" - (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

CORTEXIPHAN KIDS SURFACE ON AN ALL-NEW "FRINGE" FRIDAY, APRIL 27, ON FOX

The teams on both sides fight on for a common cause, and there are shocking developments tied to the Cortexiphan children
in the all-new "Worlds Apart" episode of FRINGE airing Friday, April 27 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-420) (TV-14 V)

CAST

Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop;
Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee

GUEST STARS

Jared Harris as David Robert Jones; David Call as Nick Lane

PROMOTIONAL PICTURES

PROMOS & SNEAK PEEKS

Fringe 4x20 Promo - "Worlds Apart"
FRINGE - Promo for "Worlds Apart"
FRINGE - Preview #1 from "Worlds Apart"
FRINGE - Preview #2 from "Worlds Apart"
FRINGE - Preview #3 from "Worlds Apart"

Last edited by sofiab; 04-27-2012 at 01:11 PM
Old 04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you for the thread!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

One more day!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Obsessed Fan

I probably won't get to watch the episode tonight as I am re-watching the eps with my boyfriend and we just finished season 3. Which means that I will have to hide from these forums for the next few days until I watch it to avoid being spoiled.

Looks exciting, though! Re-watching all the episodes in order has given me some new thoughts on where I think they might take the next season... I think it should be very cool! I can't wait!

You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hmmm. Not a bad episode, no roller-coaster ride like last week (the Jones plot was almost a distraction here)... Those people who have been waiting all season for Walter/Walternate interaction got a boatload tonight.

My only quibble is with everyone suddenly jumping on board with the idea that shutting down the Machine would stop Jones' plan to merge the two universes. Obviously we know that it won't work, because the season finale is still to come...but really, if stopping Jones' plan was as simple as shutting down the Machine, wouldn't they figure Jones would know that? And why would they think Jones would put as much time and effort as he has into a grand scheme that could be so easily stopped? Especially considering that they know Jones wanted alt-Broyles to sabotage the Machine. You all watch, I bet it'll turn out that they played right into his hands, that turning the Machine off was exactly what Jones wanted.

Season finale starts next week, in two parts. I wonder if Part One will take place Over Here, and Part Two Over There...

ETA: FOX renewed Fringe today! We'll see what S5 brings.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

Is it me or did they miss the blindingly obvious solution. If the Cortexiphan kids over here were attracting their counterparts from Over There... why not just bring all the counterparts to this universe, then they wouldn't be attracting the other universe...

They know who the Cortexiphan kids are, so finding their counterparts wouldn't have been a problem?

Disregarding that, a fantastic episode. Beautifully acted too, if John Noble STILL doesn't get an award for this, then I don't know what the world's coming to.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I take it as a good sign that Fringe still makes me happy and sad, confused and puzzled; if all that I could feel was indifference, then I know it would be time for me to stop watching. Having said that I can’t help but feel that if yesterday was the last we saw of the AU and its extraordinary characters, then part of Fringe ended for me with this episode. I’ve always been very vocal about my love for the AU, I think creatively it was the writers’ highest point and nothing will replace it. I wish we’ve had more episodes with the two universes cooperating; they were the best episodes of this season, the few bright spots in a season that promised so much and that for me didn’t quite live to the expectations that I had.

I loved all the scenes with the alternates; my favorite was that simple gesture of Alt-Astrid saying goodbye to Astrid. It was touching, moving, powerful in an episode that must have been the saddest one for me in the entire four seasons. There was a huge void, a terrible sense of emptiness when it ended. I think I’m the one now with this “hole” in my life

It’s been hard to keep up with DRJ’s plan and there’s one thing that I don’t understand. In The Consultant Jones wanted Alt-Broyles to destroy the machine, or at least make it stop, splitting the universes; if that was the plan, didn’t the Fringe team just do this for him? If so, does this all make part of his plan?

Apart from shutting down the bridge, something that if permanent pretty much invalidates one and a half seasons of the show, not because the events didn’t happen, but because they lost much of their meaning, another big decision was Lincoln staying on the AU. With the uncertainty about the future of the show, I can understand, but not enjoy, how they rushed things. It seems that on Fringe it’s not difficult for people to give up an entire life in the search for love. It’s implied that Lincoln and Alt-Livia will find each other, but the way things played out it seems both see each other as something that they couldn’t have had with other people, especially on Lincoln’s part because Red Olivia never showed any romantic interest in Red Lincoln. I hope they’ll both find happiness though and we can see it because everything about the Lincolns and the Olivias was denied to us.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked this episode a lot more than the previous one. I love how they bring back old characters and give them new material I love the interactions of our characters with the characters from the alt!universe... I am sad that shutting down the machine will stop that interaction.
“ We don't know who we are until we're connected to someone else. We're just better human beings when we're with the person we're supposed to be with. I wasn't supposed to leave. I belong here." Quote byTara from Sons of Anarchy 3x01
Icon by Zonikita
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

One other thing...remember that the Bridge was apparently an intergral part of the Observers' plan, important enough that they engineered the timeline so that Peter could create it. So what does shutting the Bridge down do to their plans?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Loyal Fan

At first I really liked this episode very much and it was one of the sadest for me. I was never a big fan from the other univers but I liked it really and I start to love the people. To see them saying goodbye was very sad.
And for me it is now clear that Bell maybe want's to destroy the world and that Jones is just his "assistant" .

“What we’ve learned is about the power of love, though all of the science fiction and the hurdles we’ve had to go through, it’s the love.” - John Noble
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of the other universe except for Lincoln so I was really surprised how sad I was when the bridge was closed.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

^Thanks for the links.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Bring this to page 1 for today's rewatch!

~Heidi
Old 09-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yay, Peter is back for this one.

icon credit: crash landing