Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

4x08 - "Back to Where you've Never Been" - Episode Discussion

Episode 4x08 – Back to Where You’ve Never Been

Original Air Date – January, 13th, 2012

SYNOPSIS

In the Fall Finale, Olivia and Lincoln (Seth Gabel) take drastic measures to deal with the looming threat from the translucent shapeshifters, while helping Peter find his way home. Something “over there” occurs that hasn’t happened since the universes were linked at the end of last season.

Peter journeys to the Other Side to confront Walternate; Olivia receives a dire premonition.

CAST

Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee

GUEST STARS

Michael Cerveris as September; Jared Harris as David Robert Jones; Orla Brady as Elizabeth Bishop; Ryan McDonals as Brandon Fayette; Daren A. Herbert as Sgt. Kane;

PROMOTIONAL PICTURES

PROMOS & SNEAK PEEKS

Fringe 4x08 - "Back to Where You've Never Been" Promo
FRINGE - "Clear" Teaser
Fringe Returns January 13 on FOX23
FRINGE - "The Wait"
FRINGE - Preview #1 from "Back To Where You've Never Been"
FRINGE - Preview #2 from "Back To Where You've Never Been"
FRINGE - Preview #3 from "Back To Where You've Never Been"
FRINGE - Sneak Peek 4x08 "Back To Where You Never Been"
''I Have Been Separated From My Family''

RECAPS AND REVIEWS

Fringe Review: Is Peter Already Home? - TV Fanatic
Fringe – Walternate as the better Walter? | CliqueClack TV
Fringe: Infinite Possibilities - News - TV.com
Fringe crosses the line - Houston TV Drama | Examiner.com
FRINGE Recap: ‘Back to Where You’ve Never Been’ | Give Me My Remote
Fringe 4.08 "Back To Where You've Never Been" Review
Fringe recap: Waffles Or Pancakes? | Season 4 Episode 08 | EW.com
Fringe Season 4: 5 Questions About ‘Back to Where You’ve Never Been’ � Spinoff Online – TV, Film and Entertainment News Daily
FRINGE 4.08 'Back to Where You've Never Been' | CraveOnline
‘Fringe’ Season 4 Episode 8 Review: Back to Where You’ve Never Been » BuzzFocus.com
Fringe reminds us why John Noble deserves a freaking Emmy

Last edited by sofiab; 01-19-2012 at 11:33 AM
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for opening the thread! I'm super excited for this episode!
Icon: JAFpunk59
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM
New Fan

Now that is what I am talking about Fringe. AWESOME episode.

The strangest thing is I instantly fell for Walternate and basically everyone on the alternate universe. And I still do not care one bit about the new 'our' characters. Only Walter, sort of.

I actually hope they stay in the alternate universe. Because the reinvention of our Olivia and Walter is boooooooring.

Jones behind the human shape shifters? Awesome. Walternate zapping that bitch scientist? Awesome.

What happened to our favorite Observer? Can't wait for that episode. And what a revelation. I kind of already thought that was the case. It seems that the Observers think they know the true course or how it should be -- but whatever happens, has to happen again.

Maybe this season is about Peter getting back to his timeline, without the Observers interference this time, and Olivia can live. But with the dark foreshadowing that we know one day, she will be murdered. But in the same vein, Peter can live a life with his Olivia. And enjoy every moment he gets to have with her. Until the inevitable happens..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Elite Fan

I love this show! I was really really happy to see Alt!Lincoln and Alt!livia again. I have really missed them. I love this Olivia and Lincoln but I love the alt ones the most, haha. Besides Peter and Olivia that is of course.

ANYWAY

this show is so quality its ridiculous. Alt!Broyles is working with Jones. Damn did not seeing that one coming at all.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Loyal Fan

"You have to die" WOW this sentence blow my mind. I hope Peter will talk to her and explain it. I really didn't like the other univers but this time I loved to be there and I really felt sorry for Walternate, because everybody thought that he is the devil himself, but in this timeline he isn't.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Good episode.

So Walternate is not behind the shapeshifters after all!

Peter/Elizabeth scene moved me so much

Agent Lee meets...Agent Lee

So Broyles from the other side is corrupted, ouch.

The observer again!
What does he mean Olivia always die?!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, here we go again with unintended consequences... Since the Observers re-wrote the timeline so that Peter never existed, he never killed Jones. And I think everyone just assumed that Jones, as a Bad Guy, was in league with all the other Bad Guys on the Other Side, which apparently isn't the case. So I guess we'll have to see if Walternate figures out that his Broyles is a shapeshifter (presumably) before Altlivia and AltLee get themselves killed...

ETA: The "fall finale" became the "winter premiere"...? Nice try, FOX.

Last edited by Wild Pikachu; 01-14-2012 at 04:09 PM
Old 01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Obsessed Fan

Elizabeth hasn't aged in this timeline Remember back in S2 finale how they made some effort to make her look like she'd aged? Maybe the makeup people didn't want to bother this time? LOL.

OK, seriously, good episode. I'm liking the twist of Walternate seeming to be a bit more humane in this timeline. At least, potentially. I felt so glad that finally Peter has had a good reaction from people (Alt-Liz and Walternate) to his appearance. And I especially loved the Peter/Elizabeth scenes, they have good chemistry.

I'm starting to warm to our Lincoln a bit more. Still not sure what to make of Olivia, tbh. I want to like her, but.... something just isn't sitting right with her for me, personally. Which made the whole, "You're going to die," message feel like it missed the mark. I feel like if it was really our Olivia, the one I'd grown to know for 3 years, such a premonition of her fate would have slayed me. But since I'm still trying to warm up to this new timeline Olivia, it didn't have that same impact. I hope September is okay, though.

And it seems that FINALLY they might be starting to seriously explore the working relationship between the 2 universes and they may be forced to work together against a common enemy. That was the whole point of Peter's sacrifice after all, for the 2 universes to become more in harmony.

Meanwhile, I'm excited for the return of David Robert Jones.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seersha (View Post)

I'm starting to warm to our Lincoln a bit more. Still not sure what to make of Olivia, tbh. I want to like her, but.... something just isn't sitting right with her for me, personally. Which made the whole, "You're going to die," message feel like it missed the mark. I feel like if it was really our Olivia, the one I'd grown to know for 3 years, such a premonition of her fate would have slayed me. But since I'm still trying to warm up to this new timeline Olivia, it didn't have that same impact. I hope September is okay, though.
Yeah, i agree. This version of Olivia is just like what Peter always says "It's not my Olivia.". Not to say the revelation didn't have some power, its just it didn't effect me the way it would have if it were OUR Olivia. The one we've seen grow into vulnerable woman. If it was said to our Olivia, I would have been scared for her. But since it isn't, I feel as detached from her as I do from Walter. So it didn't resonate. And I didn't feel anything when September said it.

What's really interesting is seeing the Alt-Characters in a new light. In this timeline, no one is carrying that anger and rage that they did in the original timeline. Since Peter was declared dead much, much sooner, they let go. And seeing this human side to Walternate, makes me look at the S3 finale in a new light. Peter really was the ultimate Judas. He chose the other universe. Abandoned his real family. Then ultimately killed his mother, his son, the mother of his son, and his entire world. What makes it so complicated is that Walternate started it. Really deep stuff.

I also think the reason I really like the Alternate characters is that they are actually nice to Peter, LOL. They are the first characters this season who openly embrace Peter. I agree with everyone else, Peter and Elizabeths scenes were really sweet and touching.

Last edited by kools; 01-14-2012 at 07:47 PM
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kools (View Post)
Yeah, i agree. This version of Olivia is just like what Peter always says "It's not my Olivia.". Not to say the revelation didn't have some power, its just it didn't effect me the way it would have if it were OUR Olivia. The one we've seen grow into vulnerable woman. If it was said to our Olivia, I would have been scared for her. But since it isn't, I feel as detached from her as I do from Walter. So it didn't resonate. And I didn't feel anything when September said it.
I'm so happy to know that i wasn't the only one that felt oddly detached. I never want to see any Olivia die but this Olivia isn't the one i grew to love so much, so if she has to die i'll be sad but i don't think i'll see myself being devastated .

My favourite scenes were the ones between mother and son, i can't remember a single scene with both of them that hasn't been special in some way.
Rupert hardly speaks. You're lucky to get anything out of him these days, he just has a wicked sense of humor and he's very eccentric and very unique in the way that he does things. He's like a big kid. I feel like he'll never grow up, which I love.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Bringing this thread up to Page 1 for today's Rewatch.

Peter and Walternate are expecting you!

~Heidi
Old 08-09-2014, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Alt-Universe is always better when Peter is there.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 08-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Elite Fan

I can't understand how there were not more comments on this awesome episode.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think I'll go back and read these posts prior to our watch since I am now early.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just pushed Play