Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Passionate Fan

Well I might be going slightly off-topic here - in fact maybe we need a threesome topic for that discussion specifically..

I love Deb as a character, I absolutely adore her as Dexter's sister and the way she is devoted to him and loves him deeply..

That doesn't mean I would be thrilled to see them 'hooking up'- Though I realize that would not be the correct term for it anyway as feelings run deep for her for sure and for Dexter as much as he ever can, in his own words..

Still the dream sequences already kind of irked me out when seeing them, I'd really rather they wouldn't go there I think. That would all depend on how they would make it come into play though. Still I really like Hannah as a character, but have logically grown fonder of Debra over the years as we know so much more about her character.

They did a stellar job though in creating so much empathy and like/love for Hannah overall this series so that they can work this triangle angle...

Just saying that people might like one more over the other for different reasons, not necessarily for a romantic thing.
Also I think a lot will depend on which way Dex, Deb and Hannah will all develop and what kind of relationship they will have. So much has changed it's hard to tell in advance how it will all pan out. I for one can't wait to see..

But I'm happy Hannah is part of it - because of her character and because of the influence she had on Dexter - and to see where it will all lead.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I dont dislike Deb. In fact I love her as a character in her own right, in the place I got used to her being. All that drive, swearing and her insecurities makes her endearing.
It's just that I think Hannah is more suitable for Dex.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Master Fan

I've actually grown tired of her swearing. It makes her look dumb when in fact she's actually pretty sharp. The rest does make her endearing,but the swearing and some of her choices irritate me. She was never my favorite character,but her love for her brother is what kept me from completely disliking her. Also, she can be unnecessarily bitchy at times.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Im a swearer person myself so I feel in the right by her swearing
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
Im a swearer person myself so I feel in the right by her swearing
Yeah,but by how much? I swear and drop the F-bomb constantly,but I'm still able to stop around babies and little kids. That and funerals,wedding,etc... I'd be a "censored: if I swore in temple. If you can't string together a sentence w/o swearing,it makes you look inarticulate and dumb. Just once, I'd like her to say 5 lines without cursing every two words.

It's seriously colored my vision of her from the get-go and just made me think she was a stupid,trashy dumbass. Obviously sure she can read and write,but it's just obvious that Dexter is the smart one. A friend once told me that she's the best/only good thing about the show,but when my brother 1st watched it and so did my dad,Deb's swearing gave them the impression that Jen can't act. The character portrayal is the writer's fault since it's not up to Jen what Deb is supposed to say,but it's a total lack of creativity on their part. If I were La Guerta,I wouldn't take her seriously or support her past a point,either.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Hmm well I think that's taking it too far into reading into things a bit to be honest.

As far as I am concerned the fact that Deb does swear just comes from her not having had a mom and/or much tenderness in her youth mixed with her feisty personality. Half the time she does swear in fact to me it seems to stem from vulnerability (something Jen portrays very subtly and amazingly well imho).

So no, to me that doesn't symbolize her being ignorant at all. In fact everything she does and says makes very clear how sharp and analytic her mind is. So if you want to object to her swearing detracting from that fact, that's your opinion so fine. But honestly I think everyone who sees the character for a while can look past that bravado she puts up as a shield to protect herself and see that she's a very complex and intelligent person. In fact that's why the swearing doesn't bother me at all, because her vulnerability and personality shines through every moment as far as I am concerned. Just my two cents..

I understand that swearing can put people off but there's no reason to then just assume people are ignorant.. and yes obviously she can write and read..
Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Master Fan

How old was she when her mother died?

I think of Deb the same way I'd think of people I know in real life who swear that much. I'm realistic and it's nice that Showtime and HBO don't censor,but she hurts my ears after awhile. I hope that they make her grow past that outer shell, b/c it's the final season.

What you said about her upbringing is absolutely true,but again...she should grow past it. Harrison is 2 now and Dexter is already worried that he'll take after him. I'm hoping that everything that happened will make her be more cautious and reserved. It's hard to be fiesty and go by a code when you broke it over a dark part of yourself you never wanted to face. Her dreams irked me too and even if she realized she has feelings for him,she shouldn't have said anything. She's ruining a perfect relationship with her brother that most of us wish we had. I wouldn't give that up for anything and they'll be at odds this season.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Well it will definitely be interesting to see how much internal or extranal changes Deb will undergo after having been juxtaposed and put in a dilemma - and how she's dealing with herself and Dex after that. Especially now that he has abandoned his code, and she knows it too.

But we should discuss more of that in more detail in the Deb thread I think.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I want to meet her someday she is so cute !!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

The Academy of Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Films handed out top honors in TV and film at its 39th Annual Saturn Awards on last night (June 26) in Burbank. Dexter took in one TV award for 'Best Guest Star on Television' (Yvonne Strahovski).
Old 06-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Awesome!!!

Still wish Jennifer had gotten an award for her part in S7 but Yvonne is very deserving too.

Last edited by Jazzed; 06-27-2013 at 08:41 PM
Old 06-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Master Fan

It was great seeing her in something aside from Chuck. I haven't seen the others in anything new yet.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

In anticipation of her character’s potential reunion with her murderous love match, Strahovski took a moment in between listening to NPR and reading two top-secret scripts to send us behind-the-scenes snapshots from the Dexter set.

"I usually bring a Chazzy with me to my trailer when I can. That is, my fluffy canine companion Chazzy. Chazzy likes to show off and ask for treats. Just like a Meerkat. I always have my cozy layers with me. They keep me warm on those early mornings and late nights. And make for a really great pillow in a pinch."
Old 06-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

When she was anounced for the role I had just finished watching her on Chuck . Never really had watched Chuck , think the joke on chick was avg looking guy with this smoking hot babe who really liked him evutully loved him

to see her last season do a part way nude scene well ,ill just leave it at that Even she joked about it ... but she had also in her many interviews saying her first on screen being naked how michael made her so comfortable in that scene

Last edited by Logan; 06-29-2013 at 05:13 PM