Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
The 4 songs on the album they wrote together are Circadian and REM as he mentioned plus Hard To Believe and This Is Not The Last Time. Gotta love their cooperation since 3 of those songs are among my favorites off the album. I also totally adore what he said about Circadian and REM being each other's other halves and knowing that they had made something special with those songs. Definitely something to be proud of!
I love all those four songs. I take it 'Hard To Believe' is your least favorite out of the lot?

Circadian and REM really do belong together. I love that one song begins the album and the other song ends it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeJelliot (View Post)
Thank you! hehe Heh aww brought out the bunny for me? hehe I better meet him or they'll have an angry girl on their hands haha
I really am crossing my fingers for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (View Post)
Single news! "Fade Into Me" will impact on the radio on October 10, a day after the tour starts:

Hot/Modern/AC Future Releases | Hot Adult Contemporary Rock Songs and Release Dates | ...

Hope it does well!
Thanks for posting that! I hope it does well too. I'm also crossing my fingers for video news, though if it doesn't happen it won't be the end of the world.

You asked my in your earlier post about what I'd like out of a possible music video (I'm sorry for not responding to it until now, by the way) but I'm really not so sure. Something visually stunning maybe with some great shots of David, of course.

Quote:
I totally agree about Paper Heart. That song has all the qualities of a great single. The guitar riff hooks you instantly and it is an accurate representation of David's musical style in addition to being catchy enough for radio. I know Rapid Eye Movement would be a bit too long (although its length is much due to the outro) but I think Circadian could be a single. The radio track would start where the guitars and drums etc. start, ie. the intro would be cut off, and that makes it about a 4 minute song. I don't think that's too long. But of course this is all speculation and could very well be pointless. We'll see what happens on the singles front. What I'm most interested in seeing is how they treat the promotion of FIM. Do they push it at all or just throw it out there and see if it sticks. We should start seeing the signs soon, now that the tour is getting closer and closer.
I agree with all that you said about Paper Heart and how Circadian being a good single.

Are there any signs coming out yet as far as promotion of FIM?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_Symmetry (View Post)
I love all those four songs. I take it 'Hard To Believe' is your least favorite out of the lot?

Circadian and REM really do belong together. I love that one song begins the album and the other song ends it.
Yeah, Hard To Believe is my least favorite. It's not that I don't like it though, I love all the songs on the album. But the 3 others resonate with me more.

I love Circadian and REM beginning and ending the album and the loop they make, too. Both songs are brilliant.

Quote:
Thanks for posting that! I hope it does well too. I'm also crossing my fingers for video news, though if it doesn't happen it won't be the end of the world.

You asked my in your earlier post about what I'd like out of a possible music video (I'm sorry for not responding to it until now, by the way) but I'm really not so sure. Something visually stunning maybe with some great shots of David, of course.
I'll post an article about FIM at the end of this post, it's good news.

I'm looking forward to something visually stunning too. I'm thinking about diluted colors, maybe even B&W (maybe that would be too much )? Something gorgeous and hopefully a little bit of a story. Although I'm always happy just looking at his beautiful face. I guess we'll see!

Quote:
I agree with all that you said about Paper Heart and how Circadian being a good single.
Glad you agree! Although I would have preferred PH or Circadian to be the next single, I want to say that I'm not angsting over FIM. It IS a song written by David too, so it DOES represent him too, of course. My point was just that if people only hear his singles, I don't think they get a comprehensive picture of him as an artist. They may not realize that he's actually a very adept rocker singer-songwriter. But I digress, the 2nd single speculation is bygones, maybe the next one. Now let's just support FIM 100 %.

Quote:
Are there any signs coming out yet as far as promotion of FIM?
Here's the article I was talking about:

Quote:
David Cook, ‘Fade Into Me’ – Song Review
by: Scott Shetler Yesterday

David Cook‘s ‘Fade Into Me,’ a song that appeared on an episode of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ this summer, is now seeing an official release as the former ‘American Idol‘ champion’s next single.

The track opens with gentle acoustic guitar strumming that leads up to a more powerful chorus, as electric guitars support Cook’s hook: “Fade into me, fade into you / Two of us melting together until we become something new / We can’t escape / And watch the world chasing to find us / Both of us hidden from view / If you fade into me, fade into me.”

Sweeping strings build up the drama as Cook continues to sing about two people who make each other whole: “When I’m broken, you’re the one thing I need / Like an ocean, I feel you crash over me / We disappear into each other / Colors appear and bleed into one.”

‘Fade Into Me’ is not the most imaginative song we’ve ever heard, but its honest, sincere message should resonate with listeners. Cook penned the track with Jamie Houston and with Better Than Ezra singer Kevin Griffin, who co-wrote Sugarland‘s ‘Stuck Like Glue.’

A video for ‘Fade Into Me’ is coming at the end of October. The song appears on Cook’s sophomore album ‘This Loud Morning,’ which entered the Top 10 upon its release in June. You can hear the song live in concert by catching Cook’s current tour with Gavin DeGraw.

PopCrush Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Source
Pretty good review and more importantly, according to it there WILL be a video! Also, this cover art came originally along with that PopCrush article. It's unknown whether it's official:

ETA: It seems to be official.

Last edited by Cereal Killer; 10-06-2011 at 11:42 AM
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (View Post)
Thanks bb I'm sure it will be an awesome experience for you, I'm happy for you.
Awww thank you Laura!
Quote:
I really am crossing my fingers for you.
Thanks hehe I paid for the privilege so I should get it lol
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

According to Amazon, Fade Into Me (Radio Edit) will be released on October 7. And as mentioned, it will go to the Hot AC radio format for adds on October 10.

Looking at Amazon, the cover above seems to be legit. So, since the single is getting an actual cover AND a music video, it looks like RCA is actually going to push and promote it. Yay!

BTW, you can listen to the Radio Edit of the song at the source of the PopCrush article. It's about 20 seconds shorter than the album version, they've lost the strings in the end.

Thoughts about the Radio Edit and the single cover?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Awww I hate when songs are edited. I guess they have to huh?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I guess they had to get it to a 3 and a half minute (3:40 actually ) song. It's not that bad though. Of course the ending feels a bit abrupt when you're used to the outro with the strings but the edit sounds really good. David's vocals are front and center. You should listen to it at the PopCrush link.

Here's a video with interview and article snippets on FIM (it's missing David talking about it on DCO/the making of DVD):

All About David Cook's new single "Fade Into Me" - YouTube

And RCARecords tweeted about the single:

Quote:
Get ready for a special edit of @thedavidcook's second single, "Fade Into Me" which will be available on 10/11! http://bit.ly/qyjmmu
7 hours ago via web
Bring it!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Just want to make the announcement in here too.

"Fade Into Me" single is now available on iTunes!

Everyone go get it!

Also David's co-write "Stars" on Arrows To Athens' new album "Kings & Thieves" (that was originally written for TLM).

I got FIM yesterday! (But I couldn't get "Stars" because I don't have iTunes. )

---

Also, David announced at the concert in St. Louis on Tuesday that they had been shooting material for the music video of FIM while in town. They also filmed at the concert (during FIM I assume). Can't wait to see the music video!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Had to show you girls this! Eee
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That's awesome Caitlin! Your show is today, how exciting. Well, tomorrow your time, I guess. Have fun!

---

Here's a lovely article:

Quote:
October 17th, 2011 04:36pm
David Cook comments on ‘This Loud Morning’

by pinella

When David Cook appears in Santa Rosa on Thursday night at the Wells Fargo Center for the Performing Arts, he will be putting on display not only his singing talents, but also his song-writing ability from his sophomore record – This Loud Morning.

It features a dozen cuts. The top three from my perspective:

1) Paper Heart; 2) Circadian; 3) We Believe.

David Cook Paper Heart-acoustic 4/28/11 - YouTube

In a recent phone conversation, we asked Cook about the record, his favorite cut and what he thought of sales, which haven’t exactly soared.

Here is what he said:

“My favorite song on the record? It changes. Right now I’ve been kinda tuning into the imagery of Paper Heart.

“All three songs (the three we liked best) we chased. Sometimes a song will come together real quick like in a day or two. Get the instrumentation and then I go in and cut the vocals and then it’s done. But those three songs all involved a lot of hours of trying things and getting the best possible mood across in those songs. They were all challenges.

“All the songs we built in sections. Dummy guitar track and vocal and then the bass player and the drummer and then synthesizer, choir, strings, harp, whatever. We did vocals last. The thought was that the mood of the music dictates the mood of the vocals. At least this way there isn’t an emotional disconnect between the vocals and the way the music sounds.”

Then we asked the sales of the record.

They seemed to be secondary to him.

“Yes, I think that’s an accurate way to say it. Much to my management’s chagrin I have consistently said I would rather put out a record that I have my heart behind than a top-selling copy that I can’t stand and it sells 10 million copies.

“I’m happy with the album cause it’s … well, somebody out there found something in that record and they bought it and they are listening to it. I’m good. I’m in a good head space right now.”

Source
I love what he says about the mood of the music dictating the mood of the vocals. I think all the songs have a coherent atmosphere/feel to them. And I love all three songs they named here. We already talked about the sales of the record elsewhere and I love his attitude about it.

---

Some news of the airplay of Fade Into Me:

Quote:
David Cook's Fade Into Me jumps from No. 92 to No. 64 on the American Idol airplay chart, though it hasn't entered the top 40 of any format chart yet.

TW/LW (spins)

64 92 David Cook, Fade Into Me (115)

Source
Hope the single will enter some official charts soon!

At least it's been killing here:

Sophie’s Challenge - Sophie@103.7

I think it has won something like 10 times a row. Go FIM!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Laura!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

I need to catch up on this thread!

Nice to see David's 'Fade Into Me' made some airplay jumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeJelliot (View Post)
That's really exciting, Caitlin. Let us know how it all went.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That's okay, Jas, take your time. As you can see I need to be better with this thread too.

---

Some chart news of FIM:

Quote:
Our final milestone this week is from Season 7 winner, David Cook. His second single off his second album was recently announced and it has already made it to top 50 on HAC. “Fade Into Me” was used as the music for a performance on SYTYCD and the audience had a very positive reaction to the song.

David Cook:
“Fade Into Me”: ^48 HAC (56)
“Last Goodbye”: 28 AC (25)

Source
It's nice to see it make progress on the chart.

---

There have been some really good interviews lately where David's talked about TLM so I thought we'd get those parts here too.

Quote:
You released your second major album, “This Loud Morning” this past summer, what were your goals for this one?

DC: I think musically, to out-do the last one. No disrespect to the first record, I thought we did amazing things with the first record, so the bar was set pretty high. I just wanted to put out a record that shows that I’ve grown musically over the last three years, which I do feel like I have. I really do feel like we accomplished that. I’m very proud of this record, and the songs on it. I’m proud of what the songs say, and what the record says. So far, the response we’ve got on the road has been awesome. To be able to take that much time on a record, and go out on the road and have people show up is a pretty powerful thing.

Now, you touched on it already, you mentioned how the record shows how you’ve grown… this album to me, it’s kind of hard to explain, it sounds more…complex. Bigger Choruses, a sort of “grander” feel to it, was that something you were shooting for?

DC: Thank you. Yeah, I wanted to really create more space between the floor and he ceiling in this record, between the highs and the lows. Part of that process is really just finding something to say. I think for the first record being on the road was really a whirlwind thing. It’s sort of hard to make sense of the world around you, especially when you live your life a certain way for 25 years, then you kind of have to erase the chalkboard and start over. It’s a lot to process. I think once I really tuned into what the record wanted to say, it all flowed pretty quickly, it just took a while to get there. I think getting into the emotional complexity of the record, or the lyrical complexity of the record, it really forced the music to go, kind of like you said, in a little bit more of a grandiose direction.

Lyrically, it seems as if there are some pretty romantic ideas as well…

DC: Absolutely. Yeah, I think there’s a lot of material when it comes to love, and it’s something everybody can relate to. As soon as I really tuned into that it seems like everything came together pretty quickly.

Other than staying true to who you are, and surpassing the last album, what was the inspiration behind this album?

DC: As we were on the roads the last record, all these crazy things were happening around me. Amazing things and terrible things, my brother passed away, my first record going platinum, I bought my first house, car, I got a dog… People care about things I have to say… all these crazy things; all of the sudden sort of just encapsulate my life. I didn’t really know what to do with all of it. So I didn’t deal with it… at all… I sort of shelved it and focused on the tour. Then got off the road, I was kind of excited, and it was time to put pen to paper, and my brain was a mess. I had all these things I wanted to write about, but I couldn’t make sense of them, let alone put them on paper. And that was scary. It was the first time since I’ve started playing guitar and writing songs that I had writers block, like ‘oh god, I can’t do what I’m supposed to do.’ It took kind of stepping back a minute and figuring out what was going on. I realized that the title of the record is pretty much a plot synopsis of the last few years of my life. Just waking up every day to this noise in my head, like a billion different things going on in my head. So sleep became this sort of reprieve. I started really thinking about that and how romantic that is, and how if your life is too crazy and too much, you can go to sleep… and create this entire alternate existence or yourself. That’s kind of where the basic outline of the record came from, kind of paralleling the rest of my life.

That’s incredibly interesting. With all that going on, did that play a role in why the album took a bit more time to complete?

DC: I think so, yeah. It’s trying to sort that out and find a way to make it fit in a way where other people can find a way to get something out of it. I don’t want to write in a way that’s so autobiographical that it’s lost on everybody else, that’s not my thing. I love writing lyrics that are open to interpretation. I wrote this song long before idol, and it was about an ex-girlfriend or something, somebody came up to me after a show and told me that that song helped them through their dad passing away. I thought that was so cool and so interesting, that that had nothing to do with what the songs original intentions were, or what I was writing about for that song. I went back and read the lyrics and was like, “oh that kind of does make sense in that context.” I love songs like that that the listener is given that freedom to find themselves in a song. I think trying to adhere to that, it’s all about experiences, and trying to put them into a context where it’s therapeutic for me, but other people are able to find something I may not even be thinking about. That’s what it’s all about is trying to connect, and find something for yourself, that’s what makes it amazing.

You co-wrote every song on the album, is that something you pride yourself on? Is it a complete “must” for you?

DC: It was a must for me on this record. As we got into it and I realized what I wanted to say, if I had something to say, and knew how to say it, why in the hell would I want someone else to say it for me? And that was sort of my mind set. It might be me pitching to the wind, but it just became important and apparent to me, that if I’m going to go on stage and sing these songs, and put myself in these songs then I better damn well believe it, ‘cause if I don’t, there’s no way I can expect any person in that crowd to buy into what I’m talking about. In that aspect, I guess I’m a bad salesman. It’s easier to sell my own words most of the time than somebody else’s.

Well that’s completely refreshing; it means more when an artist can connect to what they’re singing, versus an artist who sings someone else’s words.

DC: I know this is a heavy record emotionally. That’s what I wanted, but I would never expect anybody else go onto stage and put the emotion into these songs as I can. The words in these songs, I’ve lived them.

Is there any song in particular that you’re most proud of?

DC: Yes! “Circadian.” Just because of the journey that it took to get that song done. It was one of the first songs we started with. It took us about 9 months to really get it right. That song has 216 individual tracks on the final version of that song, so there’s a lot going on, and all of those things are important to the vibe of that song and the record. Chasing that down and going on the journey from start to finish was grueling. I’m probably more proud of the end result given what we went through to get to the end of that song.

Source
I'm still in awe of the honesty of this record. Also, 216 individual tracks on Circadian? Wow. That song is amazing in every way possible.

Quote:
It took three years between records and 18 months to make This Loud Morning. Correct? Was that a bad thing to take that long?

(He pauses) … I don’t know how to answer that. Maybe in the context of coming out of the gate all guns blazing, sure it was (too long). But I don’t think I could have made this record any other way. I think this record needed to take this long and this is the record I wanted to make. The record I wanted to put out.
“I don’t know. But I guess there are two answers to that question: yes and no. They negate each other so I don’t know.
“And ideally, I don’t have any intentions of taking another three years to put out another record. It just depends on what this record does and where my head’s at all sorts of factors that at this juncture are out of my control. And that’s something that I really had to learn the last three years – there are a lot of things that are out of my control. So, I’m gonna focus on what I need to do to put out what I think is good music for my fans, and play great shows for my fans and hang on until I get something else out there I guess.
“Absolutely it was emotional for me. All these awesome things, and I say awesome in terms of massive … things like, I mean I started my first band when I was 15 and in the last three years I had my first platinum record and the journey to get to that point … I think back on it now … Jesus, if I had been smart at that time I probably wouldn’t have continued. Thank God I had blinders on. But the awful thing was my brother passing away. I mean I was on the road with my first major label record and i didn’t want to short-change that. So I took all those experiences and I kinda shelved them.
“I got off the road and immediately went into writing another reocrd and all of a sudden those things came back up. I was just like emotionally all over the place.
“But then on paper some of the songs I wrote in the beginning, they don’t even make sense. So I just needed to go on that journey. I needed to make sense of this new world around me that really had kinda put blinders on me. One that I hadn’t focused on. That was the journey that I needed to go on for this record.
“And if that is seen as a detriment or if that derails my career or anything like that then those are the things, again, that I can’t control. For me to have gone out and rushed another record and not had my heart behind it …. to me then you are ensuring failure.
“But my fans are awesome and they are intelligent and they’d know if I was bullsitting them.

Source
If he hadn't taken that time, we wouldn't have this record. So it was worth it.

---

We've discussed this a bit already but a new music video is always exciting so.

Quote:
Alright, I heard you shot the video for “Fade Into Me” last week; do you have any idea what the time frame for the release date is, and can you talk a little bit about the video concept?

I don’t know a release date. The content of the video, I wanted to showcase how we are live. I feel like it’s really easy sometimes to throw a tie on, and comb your hair, and put together this really sweet storyline; and I think “Fade Into Me” could have definitely taken that angle and it would have worked. I wanted this video to be kind of a no frills, no pretense kind of look at us on the road. It’s a lot of live footage, really just for lack of a better way to phrase it, it’s more of a day in the life kind of thing.

Source
Can't wait to see it!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Sorry about the double post but I was catching up on the shows on this tour and apparently David soundchecked This Is Not The Last Time in Houston yesterday! Man, I am dying to hear that song live! It's the only one from TLM that they haven't played live yet, and the one along with Take Me As I Am they haven't played on this tour (though they have played TMAIA live at Concert For Hope and Six Flags). Please David play it soon! I know it's gonna be amazing.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Then music video of Fade Into Me is here!

So beautiful. I love the diluted colors and the graininess. And I love that they mixed the live footage - which looks gorgeous - with David walking in the streets singing the song. I also love when he walks on the ledge because it reminds me of that certain old school Dave pic, but I admit I was telling him to come down there at my computer screen. xD Oh, and I love that the video starts and ends with the bus on the road. Awesome video.

---

A couple of articles on the video:

Quote:
Nov 01, 2011
Watch David Cook's 'Fade Into Me' video

David Cook has released the music video for Fade Into Me, the second single from his This Loud Morning album.

David recently told blogcritics.org that he wanted the video to give people a sense of how he and his band comes across live. "I feel like it's really easy sometimes to throw a tie on, and comb your hair, and put together this really sweet storyline; and I think Fade Into Me could have definitely taken that angle and it would have worked. I wanted this video to be kind of a no frills, no pretense kind of look at us on the road. It's a lot of live footage, really just for lack of a better way to phrase it, it's more of a day in the life kind of thing."

Also, The Hollywood Reporter will feature a tour diary from David this coming Friday. Check out a preview of that diary below.

Source
Quote:
Video Premiere: David Cook's 'Fade Into Me'

November 01, 2011 09:10:57 GMT

In the clip, the winner of 'American Idol' season 7 walks around a city's streets when he is not performing on stage.

David Cook has debuted a new video in support of his single "Fade Into Me". It mashes up footage from his on-stage performances and scenes specially filmed for the clip. When he is not greeting his fans on his concerts, the rock singer walks around a city's streets while singing his heart out about the needs to be with his someone special.

"Fade Into Me" is the second single taken from David's second major-label studio album "This Loud Morning". The album has been made available for purchase in stores since June 28. It debuted at number 7 on the Billboard 200 with 46,000 copies sold in its first week.

To promote his latest effort, "The Last Goodbye" singer has embarked on a 2011 Fall Tour since September with Gavin DeGraw co-headlining and Carolina Liar supporting. The tour is set to wrap up on November 10 in Athens, GA.

Source
Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sorry I haven't been posting in here as often as I should have. I'll have to read back and see what I missed out on. Thanks so much for all the updates, as always Laura.

I did come here first and foremost to thud over the new 'Fade Into Me' video. I love it. My thoughts are pretty much your thoughts, Laura.

I love the graininess of the video, and how it bookends with David on the road and I love the bits of video with David on stage, those live shots.